Swimming after weight lifting - not a good idea?

michelleturne

Awards
Hi.

I was told at the gym the other day that going swimming after lifting weights will waste all the work I have just done. ie. I won't get any bigger becuse the blood has been pumped to different parts of my body when swimming.

Is this true? The guy who told me was just another gym go'er like myself so I don't want to take JUST his word for it.

Any advice appreciated.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ask the locker room attendant what he thinks. :thumbsup:

Think about it dude. "The blood pumped to a different part of the body?"

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
If the water is warm id have thought it would soothe the muscles.Also continuing to increase blood flow through the muscle would aid recovery .as long as the swimming is low impact i dont see a problem but others may offer a different opinion.
I would suggest also to have a post workout drink straight after the weights but before the swimming.Digesting a liquid meal shouldnt take too long.
On the otherhand it could be argued that if youve have trained in the gym with 100percent effort , you wont have any energy or the inclination to go swimming.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
if your diet is in check, according to your goals, you'll be fine.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If the water is warm id have thought it would soothe the muscles.Also continuing to increase blood flow through the muscle would aid recovery .as long as the swimming is low impact i dont see a problem but others may offer a different opinion.
I would suggest also to have a post workout drink straight after the weights but before the swimming.Digesting a liquid meal shouldnt take too long.
On the otherhand it could be argued that if youve have trained in the gym with 100percent effort , you wont have any energy or the inclination to go swimming.
Are there forms of high impact swimming? I believe that would be called diving. :dunno:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol you beat me to it B :) I think he meant intensity not impact. But he made the typo, so the fun is yours.

Take some EAAs before you swim, but I don't see a problem. Just account for the extra cals burned if you're trying to gain mass, and enjoy your cooldown in the pool.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Are there forms of high impact swimming? I believe that would be called diving. :dunno:
Diving and swimming are two different disciplines. let me explain.
Diving you enter the water from an elevated position and enter the water at an angle which results in the body getting totally submerged in water . Due to the bouancy effect of water and assisted by arms and legs , the body is brought up to the surface. Then swimming can continue.

Swimming is carried out in the horizontal position relying on water for support.
There are various styles but all involve the use of arms and legs.
High impact swimming can be defined as at competition level when speed and timing are essential.
Low impact swimming can be defined as having a more casual approach which could involve treading water, swimming short distances, and swimming at a slower pace.

I use the word impact because of how the different levels of swimming would effect the body .Swimming at competition level would have more of an impact on recovery from weights than low impact.
i accept that intensity can be used instead but that word is more related to speed, ferocity, agression and doesnt really convey what effect swimming after weights might have on recovery.

Last edited:
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diving and swimming are two different disciplines. let me explain.
Diving you enter the water from an elevated position and enter the water at an angle which results in the body getting totally submerged in water . Due to the bouancy effect of water and assisted by arms and legs , the body is brought up to the surface. Then swimming can continue.
When you body makes contact with the water there is impact.Just as high and low impact aerobics is defined as your body, usually implied feet, impactcting the ground at a low impact or high impact.

Swimming is carried out in the horizontal position relying on water for support.
There are various styles but all involve the use of arms and legs.
High impact swimming can be defined as at competition level when speed and timing are essential.
Low impact swimming can be defined as having a more casual approach which could involve treading water, swimming short distances, and swimming at a slower pace.

I use the word impact because of how the different levels of swimming would effect the body .Swimming at competition level would have more of an impact on recovery from weights than low impact.
i accept that intensity can be used instead but that word is more related to speed, ferocity, agression and doesnt really convey what effect swimming after weights might have on recovery.
You are describing the difference between low and high intensity swimming.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
When you body makes contact with the water there is impact.Just as high and low impact aerobics is defined as your body, usually implied feet, impactcting the ground at a low impact or high impact.

You are describing the difference between low and high intensity swimming.
Lets put the post to bed =i know what i mean , you know what you mean and each of us have different interpretations of the words impact /intensity

i think we see where each of us is coming from but not lets comment on it anyfurther -eh?