Make me Bionic!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
"Steve Austin-Astronaut. A man barely alive. We can rebuild him, we have the technology to build the worlds first Bionic Man... better than he was before, better, stronger, faster.."

Yep - that's me! :wave2:

Despite eating well for most of my life and making sporadic efforts to keep myself in shape, at age 39 I was overweight, out of shape and beginning to have health problems. High blood pressure, skin issues, low energy levels and mood swings were all beginning to take their toll on myself and my family. Also my two children were beginning to grow up and I just wasn't physically able to be the Dad I knew I could be!

It was in April 2008 I finally decided to do something about it. I realized that it wasn't too late for me to make some major changes in my life and although I had no idea if I could do it, I knew it was definitely worth a shot!

I did a lot of research, thinking and planning, and finally developed a diet plan and training routine that could fit around my life and family. Due to work commitments I was only able to train at home and at that time I had very little equipment to use, just one pair of adjustable dumbbells found in the garage. Despite this I was able to put together an entire weekly routine that lasted me for the first two months of my cut. Of course I made a lot of mistakes in those early days but found motivation in the rapid progress I was making in body fat loss and strength gain. After two months, when I knew I was taking this seriously, I upgraded all my training equipment to include an exercise bench with leg attachments, fly and some much needed additional plates.

From that point forward I couldn't quite believe how quickly my body changed. I had always been a little bit fat ever since I was a teenager and had always wanted that "shredded look" I just never thought it was possible for me!

My first goal was to achieve a body fat level of 10%. Well I smashed through that after just 10 weeks and set myself a new goal of 8%. Two months later I achieved this and had the beginnings of a physique to be proud of.

The whole process from start to finish took just 4 months.

I now need help to maintain my focus and keep my new physique - hence this journal! Having achieved my original goal I quickly found myself falling back into old habits. So in January of this year I reset my long and short term goals and am, once again, looking to progress my overall health and fitness.

Four months on and I continue to follow my new strict diet and training routines. I now get up at 6.30am, 6 days a week, so I can get all my training done before my two children wake up and kick the day into gear. I then update my online journals to help me keep track of my on-going progress whilst having my first protein shake. My main personal objective from this point forward is to continue to make gains in muscle mass, strength and endurance whilst keeping my body fat level between 8% and 10%.

I've found the whole transformation process to be one of the most self rewarding things that I have ever done, so much so that I've since set up a website called The Bionic Files, to help encourage and motivate other people to do the same.

I hope to update this journal every day to make myself fully accountable for my own progress.

The attached photos show my progress from starting off on 1st April 2008, to half way on 1st June 2008 and the last photo taken on 1st August 2008.

Attachments

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
I had a good Shoulders & Back training session this morning. I increased my lateral raises by 1kg, added an additional 2 sets to my Dumbbell Shrugs (no more weight to add!) and increased all others by one set. I personally feel that a visual weakness for me is my traps, so I'm always looking to totally max out on these each week. They are gradually beginning to show signs of improvement but I still have a way to go. My traps and abs will be my key focus points when I finish my cut.

Here's what I did this morning:

Behind neck shoulder press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Upright row: 12 x 4: 25kg
Angled Bench Press: 12 x 4: 22kg
Lateral Raises: 12 x 4: 27kg
Dumbbell Shrugs: 12 x 5: 37kg

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 131lb
Daily calorie intake approx: 1200 calories
Current Body fat percentage reading: 11%
Training Phase: Cutting

Weighed in today at 131lbs (again)

I'm about half way through this year's cut and am beginning to feel like I wish I were nearer the end.

I was feeding my children their evening meal last night and gave them Jam and Scones for pudding - a typical British treat. I couldn't help but sit there and salivate whilst questioning why on earth I was giving myself such a hard time in not eating what I wanted to eat!

I then had my run this morning, which was fine, but again I was beginning to ask myself,

"Why am I doing this, can I take a short-cut, can I just ease up for a little, why can't I just stop?"

It's good to know that we all have these moments of weakness when the question of "why" comes begging to be answered. But that is all they are, small moments of weakness that are trying to steal something away from you - something you know that IS important to you. You know deep down that if it is not important to you,you would neve have started in the first place!

This is where my routine comes to the rescue. It is so ingrained now that all I have to do is just... carry on!

I did feel incredibly weak after my run but having now had my protein shake, updated my journal and had my first coffee of the day, I feel back to my normal positive self.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in this morning at 131lbs (again)

I'm definitely going to have a "Carb Up" weekend at the end of this month. My waist measurement is still decreasing nicely so I know I'm making good progress but I'm just beginning to feel a little less hungry than I have for the last few weeks. My body is clearly trying to tell me something! Another week and I can really look forward to eating clean at "Maintenance Level" for 3 whole days - fantastic!

That's over a week away though... but something to look forward to.

This morning was Legs Day! Wow! I ended up on the floor after my Deadlifts. When the bar went down on the final rep of the final set it just kind of brought me down with it. And there I was, fighting for breath whilst staring at the carpet! The patio doors were open for the first time this year - yes the weather here really is that good - and I enjoyed a cool liquid breeze ebbing in from the garden.

Don't you just love the Summer!

It makes such a change from training with 3 jumpers and a woolly hat for company.

Here's what I did:

Squats: 12 x 4: 37.5kg (2.5kg increase)
Deadlifts: 12 x 4: 50kg
Standing Calf Raise: 20 x 4: 55kg
Leg Extensions: 12 x 4: 30kg

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 130.5lb

This morning's weigh in: 130.5lb

I'm pleased! I seem to be averaging just over a 1lb a week loss which, although is not the 2lb I was originally looking for, is good steady progress in the right direction.

I'm also confident that I've not only being able to hold on to the muscle I had at the start of my cut, but as I'm progressively adding more to my weights each week, I've made good increases to my lean muscle mass.

I will be taking a progress picture at the end of next week (just before my "Carb-Up" weekend) that I'll post here... well not exactly there of course... but in the relevant journal entry... when that time comes. Confused...? I am!

My Carb-Up weekend will take up the first 3 days of May. I'll then continue my cut for the rest of May. If I can loose another 1lb a week in May then that should be that.

Here's what I did this morning...

ARMS & ABS
EZ Bar Curl: 12 x 4: 30kg
Closed Grip EZ Bar Curl: 12 x 4: 22.5kg (2.5kg increase)
Dumbbell Bar Curl: 12 x 4: 12.5kg
Reverse Wrist Curl: 12 x 4: 10kg
Forward Wrist Curl: 12 x 4: 22.5kg (2.5kg increase)
Crunches: 20 x 5: 5kg

Until Tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in this morning at 130.5lb

I stepped out the door this morning to start my run and noticed that it was pouring with rain. "So what", you may say, "You live in England, what do you expect?" Well, strangely enough that is the first time it has happened to me this year, which either means I don't go running often enough, or the gods have been kind.

Anyway I had to don my special "Running in the Rain Jacket" which is always a little tiresome. First of all I have to find it, then I have to run in it. That shouldn't be too difficult, you may think, but the elastic pull cords that hold the hood in place keep bouncing off my face, the hood makes more noise than a lear jet and I quickly begin to stick to its insides. The whole experience feels like having sex in a collapsed tent!

Despite all that I had a good run and it's now a bright, sunny day!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 1150 calories

Weighed in today at 131lbs

Back up again... I wonder why. My wife pulled what I can only classify as a cheat meal on me yesterday evening so I'm having to swap my cheat day around again this week. It was an interesting sausage & cheese pasta bake with extra aubergines and tomatoes. Doesn't sound too bad but it was far too greasy by my standards.

I had an excellent run this morning, deliberately extending my route my ten minutes. I'm now running the same distance as I was at my peak last summer! I don't know how many miles it is but it takes about 45 - 50 minutes. My aerobic fitness has definitely improved!

Sunday's are always difficult for me to keep to my rigid diet as it's our Family Day and we're all out again. Today we're going to One Hundred Acre Wood to meet Winnie the Pooh and friends... if we can find them!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in today at 130.5lbs

Back down on the scales again. Phew!

Sunday is always a bit of a diet challenge as it's our Family Day and there is a certain expectation for me to eat the same as everyone else. However my wife is becoming more supportive of my diet requirements and I was able to stick to my rigid diet - hence this morning's encouraging weigh in!

You may notice that I've reduced my daily calorie intake again by 50 calories. I've switched a few things around which allows me to do this without really noticing the difference. This should again help me towards my 8% BF goal

We didn't find Winnie the Pooh in the One Hundred Acre Wood yesterday. They wanted £5.00 just to park (!) so I did a tight U-Turn before the entrance. Instead we went to a nearby private Aerodrome under the pretence that I wanted to know how much it would cost to learn to fly*. This allowed us to all to sit down, eat our picnic lunch and watch all the small by-planes and helicopters take off and land FOR FREE! The boys absolutely loved it!

I had an OK Chest and Triceps work out this morning but I did feel very sleepy and really struggled to get out of bed. Here's what I did:

ARMS & TRICEPS
Bench Press: 12 x 4: 32.5kg
Closed Grip Bench Press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Inclined Bench Press: 12 x 4: 18kg
Butterfly Bench Press: 12 x 4: 38.5kg (1kg increase)
Triceps Curl: 12 x 4: 15kg

Until tomorrow!

*For anyone interested it would set you back around £10,000 to get your pilot's license.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Back down on the scales again. Phew!

Sunday is always a bit of a diet challenge as it's our Family Day and there is a certain expectation for me to eat the same as everyone else. However my wife is becoming more supportive of my diet requirements and I was able to stick to my rigid diet - hence this morning's encouraging weigh in!

You may notice that I've reduced my daily calorie intake again by 50 calories. I've switched a few things around which allows me to do this without really noticing the difference. This should again help me towards my 8% BF goal

We didn't find Winnie the Pooh in the One Hundred Acre Wood yesterday. They wanted £5.00 just to park (!) so I did a tight U-Turn before the entrance. Instead we went to a nearby private Aerodrome under the pretence that I wanted to know how much it would cost to learn to fly*. This allowed us to all to sit down, eat our picnic lunch and watch all the small by-planes and helicopters take off and land FOR FREE! The boys absolutely loved it!

I had an OK Chest and Triceps work out this morning but I did feel very sleepy and really struggled to get out of bed. Here's what I did:

ARMS & TRICEPS
Closed Grip Bench Press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Inclined Bench Press: 12 x 4: 18kg
Butterfly Bench Press: 12 x 4: 38.5kg (1kg increase)
Triceps Curl: 12 x 4: 15kg

Until tomorrow!

*For anyone interested it would set you back around £10,000 to get your pilot's license.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in today at 130.5lbs (again)

I've been really struggling to get out of bed recently which is beginning to affect my morning training. I know why of course. I normally go to bed for 10.30pm but recently its been more like gone 11am. Not a good habit to get into. I'm going to change this tonight. It's not easy getting up at 6.30am to train at the best of times but if I'm half asleep its virtually impossible!

I still think I've made some fairly good gains in overall muscle mass but its a little difficult to tell at the moment. I'll be taking a progress pic this weekend that I'll be able to compare against the relevant pic taken last year at my current body fat reading. It really is the only way I can actually gauge my progress. I must admit to having been very reluctant to taking pics during what turned out to be an aborted bulk. I put far too much weight (fat) on and was very "not happy" with the way I looked at all. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain my end of cut look for longer this time around whilst I continue to train throughout the rest of the year.

Here's what I did this morning:

Shoulders & Back
Behind Neck Shoulder Press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Upright Row: 12 x 4: 25kg
Angled Bench Press: 12 x 4: 22kg
Lateral Raises: 12 x 4: 27kg
Dumbbell Shrug: 12 x 4: 37kg

No gains this week and to be honest I struggled with all of these!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 130lb
Current Body fat percentage reading: 10%

Weighed in today at 130lbs

That's another new low for me this year but, more exciting for me is that my waist has come down to 26.5 inches which, combined with my new weight and the two body fat calculators I use, puts me in at 10% Body Fat!

ONLY 2% MORE TO GO!

I had a good run this morning - although it felt very cold for the time of year. The sun was out but I think the overnight clear sky combined with the fact that it was only 12 degree C yesterday kept the temperature down. I kept my second layer on for the entire time, something I hadn't done since I started cardio earlier this year. I didn't have time to go as far as I did on Sunday, but it was a pain free 35 minute "fasted cardio" session with a good sprint for the very last leg. Talking of last legs, I still feel I could do with increased endurance / strength in my legs. I feel that my legs are always the first to start complaining, normally about half way round.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129.5lb

Weighed in today at 129.5lbs

Big end of month entry day today but before I do that I was suprised and pleased to see another 0.5lb drop on the scales this morning!

START OF MONTH STATS
WEIGHT: 134lb
BODY FAT:12%
BICEPS: 13.25
CALVES: 14.25
CHEST: 37
FOREARMS: 11
HIPS: 34.5
THIGHS: 20.75
WAIST: 29

END OF MONTH STATS
WEIGHT: 129.5 (-4.5lb)
BODY FAT: 10% (-2%)
BICEPS: 13 (-0.25)
CALVES: 14 (-0.25)
CHEST: 36.5 (-0.5)
FOREARMS: 11 (-0)
HIPS: 33.5 (-1)
THIGHS: 20 (-0.75)
WAIST: 26.5 (-2.5)

I had initially hoped to loose 8lbs this month but I must admit I think that original goal was unrealistic and unnecessary. I am very pleased with the results, the main one being a healthy 2% drop in body fat. I don't wish to get above 10% again! I feel that bewtween 8 - 10% is a very healthy reading that I would like to stick to from this point forward.

I'll take a pic of myself tomorrow and post it on my page for the record.

I had a very good leg session this morning and could barely walk up the stairs afterwards. I then had an unexpected leg work out as my wife was ill and I had to push my two children up the hill to nursary. I could have done this really slowly but it started raining half way up so ended up pushing myself - and the two children!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

The big news for today - I've signed up for the ballot to run in the London Marathon 2010!

Have I run a marathon before?... errr No!

Could I run for a bus this time last year?... err No!

Do I think I can do it?... Well, yes I think I can!

I'm not in the race yet however as this is just the first ballot. Like most big city marathon events it is heavily oversubscribed and I won't find out if I've been selected until October. If I haven't then I'll need to find a charity to run for. So it's not certain yet if I'm going to be able to do it but now that I've entered I really want to!

So if I can't do the London Marathon I'll be looking for a similar event.

I used to ask myself why so many people want to do something that is so physically challenging. Well the answer is obvious to me now - the challenge! I guess you're either the sort of person who needs to be constantly challenged, or you're not. I think most people fit into the latter category. I certainly used to!

So in the Autumn I'll be gearing up for some long distance running. I don't think this will effect my training much, if at all. I'll probably just add another cardio session into my week and go for a long run once or twice a month. I guess I'd better do some research into suitable training practices for a beginners marathon. I'm not intending to break any records, I'd just be really happy to finish!

If there are any long distance runners out there - your advice would be most appreciated!

I'll hopefully be posting new pics of myself later on today - I just need to get access to the bathroom!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

The big news for today - I've signed up for the ballot to run in the London Marathon 2010!

Have I run a marathon before?... errr No!

Could I run for a bus this time last year?... err No!

Do I think I can do it?... Well, yes I think I can!

I'm not in the race yet however as this is just the first ballot. Like most big city marathon events it is heavily oversubscribed and I won't find out if I've been selected until October. If I haven't then I'll need to find a charity to run for. So it's not certain yet if I'm going to be able to do it but now that I've entered I really want to!

So if I can't do the London Marathon I'll be looking for a similar event.

I used to ask myself why so many people want to do something that is so physically challenging. Well the answer is obvious to me now - the challenge! I guess you're either the sort of person who needs to be constantly challenged, or you're not. I think most people fit into the latter category. I certainly used to!

So in the Autumn I'll be gearing up for some long distance running. I don't think this will effect my training much, if at all. I'll probably just add another cardio session into my week and go for a long run once or twice a month. I guess I'd better do some research into suitable training practices for a beginners marathon. I'm not intending to break any records, I'd just be really happy to finish!

If there are any long distance runners out there - your advice would be most appreciated!

I'll hopefully be posting new pics of myself later on today - I just need to get access to the bathroom!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 2000 calories

I've started my "Carb Up" weekend which will last through to end of play on Monday. This coincides nicely with our May Day Bank Holiday weekend and with my parents coming over on Monday. I'll be attempting to eat at Maintenance levels which for me is about 2000 calories. I MUST be careful though as I'm notoriously bad at doing this! Once I start eating I find it very difficult to stop, so although I'll be eating nearly twice as much as normal, I'll need to be EVEN MORE disciplined!

At least I know this about myself now and can gear up for it. This is where this journal will really help to keep my in check over the next few days - and to make sure I get right back on track on Tuesday!

I am going to eat the occasional cake over the next few days when offered and I do expect my weight to go up accordingly. I'm sure, however, that this weekend with significantly boost my metabolism and will allow my to continue my journey down to 8% body fat by the end of May.

I had an exceptionally good long run this morning. I guesstimate that my long run is about 4 miles but I have no real way of telling as most of it is through wooded areas that I can't drive through to measure.

In light of my recent decision to run a marathon next year I'm going to plan out 3 routes in the car, the first at 4 miles, the second at 6 miles and the third at 10 miles. I'll then be able to occasionally run these routes to make sure I'm covering the necessary distances to get marathon ready. Of course it may take me a while to build up to the 10 mile route, but at least if I know what it is I'll be ready to have a go!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

My Carb Up weekend is going according to plan... not! Giving my wife carte blanche to cook whatever she wants is always a recipe for disaster. The kitchen becomes a hive of cake making activity as the butter and sugar stocks finally get their comeuppance.

I am of course exaggerating! My wife is an amazing cook and she always produces the most scrumbscious food. Unfortunately it's not always the healthiest, but it always looks and tastes great! Yesterday she made a Rhubarb Crumble Cake which was of course delicious and I’m not saying no this weekend!

Fortunately for me I've run the most miles this week so far this year. I'm estimating that I ran 3 miles on Wednesday and 4 miles yesterday and today. That makes 11 miles in total so I'm confident I'm going to be burning off most of what is being put inside me. Anything left over should be retained water - hence the weight increase. When my diet regains its squeaky clean regime next week, I'm sincerely hoping that I'll quickly return to my pre-Carb Up weight of 129.5lbs.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 132lb

Weighed in today at 132lbs

Last day of my Carb Up weekend - phew! I'm beginning to feel quite bloated and fat. I think it will take to the end of the week just to clear out all my retained water - especially after yesterday...

My wife decided that she wanted to go out for a Chinese for lunch. Again I think she was taking advantage of my current binge. I had beef in black bean sauce with egg fried rice which of course was fantastic but quite a bit more than my normal cottage cheese on one piece of bread!

She then went into what I can only describe as a Food Porn shop. It was actually a bakery but the display of raw, naked chocolate gateauxs and cheesecakes was enough to make a grown man cry - let alone someone trying to shrink a little! Fortunately I was able to suppress the urge to buy everything my stomach desired and we left with only a bag of bagels for our sins.

I had a good chest and triceps workout this morning - back to normal tomorrow - until then!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 133lb

Weighed in today at 133lbs

The Carb Up weekend is finally over and I must say that I'm delighted to be back on my cutting diet. I do have a real self control problem when I start to eat really tasty food but I just don't like myself much when I feel out of control. In my book, you're only truly free when YOU are in control - at least when you feel you are in control!

So back to the cutting plan again and back to that 1200 calorie a day diet.

Fantastic!

I must say I love to cut! You can actually see your body evolve, week after week, from what feels like an old Black and White Telly into a Super High Definition, HD Ready, Flat Screen Plasma TV!

You probably think I'm mad but the times I most enjoy eating is when I'm really hungry. I'm always hungry when I'm cutting so I ALWAYS enjoy my food - no matter how simple it is.

I had a good Shoulders & Back training session this morning. No increases but pushed each to failure. At long last I'm beginning to see some improvement to my traps.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 131.5lb

Weighed in today at 131.5lbs

Everything back to normal again. I was a little worried that I would really struggle with my cutting diet after such a long weekend of binging, but I didn't have any particular problems. I did drink more herbal tea than normal but mainly in an effort to flush out my system and loose the retained water baggage. I dropped 1.5lbs since yesterday so this clearly worked to some degree. I'm hoping to be back to 129.5 by Friday!

I had a good run this morning, nothing special, just the normal 3 miles with no aches or pains and a good home run sprint. I've planned out a 6 mile run that I might (not promising) attempt on Sunday. If I do it then it will be the longest distance I have ever run, so I'm not rushing into it! I'm physically ready for it but I'll see how I feel after my Saturday 4 mile run.

I have set up a target of being 8% body fat by the end of this month but this may be a little too ambitious. Judging from my results last year I estimate to being at least 6 weeks off this ideal, but I may even be 8 weeks off. With this in mind I'm mentally preparing myself for another 2 months of cutting! I'm not stopping until I'm 8%!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I have a very, very, very slight cold!

I think this is the slightest cold I've ever had!

If I think about it I feel a little bit ill. If I don't think about it then I feel fine.

And how is everyone else doing in my household?

They're all really sick!

Funny that!

I used to pick up a bad cold / cough every time one of my children brought one back from nursery like some sort of anti-gift device, but when I'm in the sort of shape I'm now approaching they hardly seem to touch me.

Just another benefit of keeping in shape!

I had a really good leg session this morning. My deadlift sets were feeling really easy and I was just beginning to think that I really was becoming bionic when I realised I had complete miss-read my notes and had forgotten to put about 20kg of plates onto the bar. I guess I was a little less clear headed than normal. So I put the correct weight setting back and didn't feel quite so bionic after all!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I still have a slight cold but it only seems to be making my brain a little fuzzy. My diet and training is still progressing as normal.

I had another "fuzzy brain" moment this morning when doing my Closed Grip EZ Bar Curl. The very first lift and I thought, "Hey! Either my right arm has become incredibly bionic over night or my left has become incredibly un-bionic!"

Of course it was neither - I had missed out a plate on the left hand side of the bar! Good Grief!

The weird thing was that, after correcting the mistake, I lifted the bar and it wobbled again, as if it was still unbalanced. I had to put everything down to triple check. The weights were now correct so I took a minute to balance my thinking before starting over.

I think the imbalance from the first lift made my right arm automatically expect the same imbalance the second time around and so over-compensated for an expected imbalance that simply wasn't there. Strange!

Anyway, I'm hoping I'll be OK for by normal aerobic weekend. I feel absolutely fine now but I know from experience that even a minor cold can negatively impact aerobic training.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 1200 calories over 7 meals a day

It's been a week since I started my monster, 3-day Carb Up May Day Festival Weekend and I've finally shed all the retained water to arrive back at the weight I started at. Now will be the test to see if it's paid off! Will it have boosted my metabolism enough to enable me to continue loosing weight whilst maintaining my strength and muscle mass, or will it have been the biggest, most unnecessary pig out since Emperor Nero said, "I'll just have a sandwich thanks!"

Last night I was having serious doubts as to the wisdom of going for my scheduled run this morning. My nose was running faster than I thought I could and my legs still hurt from Thursday's Leg set. Well I went anyway and, although it wasn't my personal best and I did leave a trail of slime in my wake, I survived the 3 mile treck with an attempted sprint to finish.

I'm hoping to have persuaded the wife to no cheat meals this weekend. She still likes to produce what I can only describe as "food porn" at the weekends but she's being a little more understanding to the severe trauma I suffer when having to say no to such erotic food.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 2000 calories over 7 meals a day
Training Phase: Maintenance

I really hate being ill!

It's even worse when I've told everyone in this journal how incredibly amazing I am because my family got really ill but I survived. Well after updating my journal yesterday it hit my with the full force of a nuclear sneeze. The slight illness I had been entertaining for the last few days turned out the be just the appetizer and I now have my head fully submerged in the main course.

Am I feeling a little conceited... arrogant even?

Well yes!

I'm definitely not even thinking about going for a run this morning and am back on maintenance diet until I recover. I guess the real test will be how long this will keep me out of the gym for. Typically it's around a week but I am really hoping that it won't be that long this time around. In fairness I am already feeling much better than yesterday so I'll see how a Chest & Tricep workout looks tomorrow morning.

Until then!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Well my voice sounds like a Triumph Bonneville, my head feels like it's in a crash helmet sitting on a Triumph Bonneville and my legs feel like jelly wobble but I did my Chest and Tricep workout anyway!

You should have heard the mental debate I had with myself whilst lying in bed trying to make the decision. Again it's were routine just kicks right in and you find yourself getting up and doing it whether you feel like it or not.

Not the greatest workout in the world - I only did three sets of each instead of four - although I ended on a strong note with a very normal 4 set Butterfly Bench Press and Tripep Curl.

It also allows me to get right back on my cutting diet.

I'm fairly certain I'm not going to be going for a run on Wednesday but as long as I can keep up my weight training I'll be very happy.

Until tomorrow!

P.S. For those of you who prefer 2 wheels to 4, a Triumph Bonneville is a motorcycle, very popular in the 70s and I believe being made by Triumph in the UK today.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128.5lb
Fitness Plan: Bionic Training Program

Weighed in today at 128.5lbs

Well I'm feeling infinitely better today, especially as my daily weigh-in came in at the lowest level for this year! More importantly, 1.5lbs less than when I started my Carb Up Weekend just over a week ago now.

Of course it's not all fat (or god forbid muscle) loss although a quick measurement of my waist shows me descended rapidly towards 26.25 inches ( 0.25 less than before my Carb Up). I've also made a few subtle changes to the order of my meal plan to help reduce the amount of complex carbs I was having in the evening. Finally I've started to drink Japanese Brown Tea in the evening. It's caffein free and supposed to help digest food quicker (according to my wife!). Anyway I think these changes may have helped to flush out some more retained water from my Carb Up and some of the Cheat Food I had when I was ill over the weekend.

Although I think it's really important to keep to a very rigid routine I also think it's equally important to keep making subtle changes when you think something can be improved.

I had a very good Shoulders & Back workout today and felt my strength has fully returned. Certainly no increases in weight but I did my normal 4 sets with better performances on the last set for each.

I'm even thinking about going for a run tomorrow... I said "thinking about"...!

Nothing particularly humorous in today's journal so a quick joke...

How do you catch a fish?

Get someone to throw you one!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Training Platform: Bionic Training Program

Well I thought about going for a run this morning... and I went!

I did my normal fasted cardio 3 mile route and although I had to stop twice to clear my nose - using my T Shirt - yuk! (don't tell the wife) and I certainly didn't break any records, I felt good!

And after a shower and a protein shake I felt fantastic!

So much for taking a week off for illness. This cold has cost me approximately 1 day of training. Not bad considering there are certain people out there who think I'm on too low a daily calorie intake and will therefore suffer certain hospitalization before next Tuesday!

My wife produced a lovely, juicy and ultra tender stake for dinner last night. She's a fantastic cook and always produces the finest gourmet food but I wish she'd inject a little more protein sometimes. Well I couldn't complain last night - in fact I never complain about her food. I'm always so grateful to have every evening meal made for me even if I don't have any control over exactly what that meal is. It's normally ultra-clean and healthy, is different just about ever single night and always tastes great. It's like having my own personal restaurant... at home! I keep meaning to take pictures and post them somewhere... maybe now I've written that I might start doing it!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lb

Weighed in today at 129lbs

I had an excellent Leg workout this morning which was great! Unfortunately I'm on "looking after the children" duty today and therefore had to push them both to nursery which is a mile up a steep hill using a heavy off-road buggy. I can normal virtually jog this but after only one hour since my set I nearly had to ask an old lady for help as she overtook me!

As I'm sure most of you can appreciate it's hard enough just to walk up the stairs after a good leg set.

Anyway I'm still making good gains in strength which is a little surprising this far into my cut. I am definitely going to have to upgrade all my home gym equipment when I'm done. When I first bought my current set up I clearly remember thinking that this would last me for the rest of my days but I'm already looking to max out on some of the recommended load levels. In fairness it was all quite cheap and cheerful but I still thought it would all last a lifetime.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 1200 - 1300 calories over 7 meals a day

As it's Friday I thought I'd reflect a little on my thinking during the week. I've had a few comments to deal with regarding my low calorie intake over the last few days in a very similar way to when I cut last year. At that time most critism came from my family who were shocked at what seemed to them my sudden weight loss.

I do find it very difficult to listen to criticism objectively. I do, however, welcome any remark that helps us all to think a little more for ourselves and to make up our own minds about the world around us. I'm sure most of us really do believe that we do think for ourselves and are fully responsible for every decision we make. Unfortunately, with the slick wheels of mass media ever circularing; around us, through us and into us, it is becoming harder and harder for us all to do any free thinking.

When I used to get on the tube to London everyday I felt that we had already entered a thought controlled environment very similar to George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four. Everyone would pick up exactly the same free newspaper, sit down and allow the same 20 pages of pointless information to enter their sleepy, absorbent minds.

I personally haven't read a newspaper, watched the news or glanced at any news online since January. It all just got too depressing!

I've just gone way off base! Anyway I guess the question I've been asking myself this week is, "Is it really healthy, sensible and necessary to go below 10%?"

But it occurred to me, so what if it isn't the most ultra-healthy thing that I could be doing! Enough people die running marathons, climbing mountains, skiing or riding horses but society would always fully support anyone intending to do all of these.

I am tempted to stop my cut early and start a very slow, controlled bulk, but if I do, is it because I want to, or is it because I'm allowing my own thinking to be controlled by other people's thinking?

I very nearly gave up my cut last year because of the critism I had but looking back I'm really glad I continued. I enjoyed the whole process, despite (or because of) it's challenges, and certainly enjoyed the physical, health and visual benefits.

Seeing the person I am now compared to the person I was back then, my entire family now fully support my training program.

Well I guess I have two choices. To continue my cut to 8% body fat or abort and start to work on muscle growth. At least most of us are fortunate enough to live in a world where we can make these decisions independently, even if most people choose to do nothing but simply eat more and more... and more.

For now I'm going to continue until the end of May and reflect some more at that time.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lb
Daily calorie intake approx: 1300 calories over 7 meals a day

Well my wife is off on a business trip to Japan for the best part of two weeks so I'll be here looking after my two boys... on my own!

This has raised a few more questions / problems for me to sort out regarding my training and diet routine. Firstly my training; it won't be easy but I'll have to do the best I can. I won't be able to go for my normal morning run as I can't leave them alone in the house, so I'll have to put together some sort of weighted step routine. Secondly I am going to be disturbed during my training time, which these days is between 7am - 7.45am. They can rarely be alone together for more than half an hour before attempting to remove each others limbs for want of a toy something.

I'm also thinking about upping my calorie intake during this time. There is no way I use the same calories sitting behind a desk for 12 hours a day as I do running after two boys!

But if I can't do my normal focussed training then maybe my calories should remain the same!

I guess this is called "life getting in the way... again!" and why I go on an on about the importance of an established routine.

This all reminded me of another on-going problem I've always had and always will have regarding my diet. My evening meal!

I know from experience that my wife will leave me a series of nearly ready prepared food for the duration - you know I used to cook all my own food for years and years - which will be great. But it reminded me that I really have absolutely no idea how many calories I consume for my evening meal. I didn't know when I cut last year and I have no idea today.

I think this is the biggest strength and biggest weakness to my diet. I see it as a strength because of the healthy variety of food I eat - she rarely makes the same dish twice - but it's a massive weakness because I have no real control over my daily calorie intake AND it's always too much food in one hit too late in the day for me... if it were my choice AND the time varies when I eat the food anywhere between 7.30pm to 9pm.

So what I do is guestimate the calories!

When I'm cutting she tries to gives me smaller portions and I guestimate this to be 500 calories.

When I'm not cutting she gives me larger so I guestimate this to be 600.

But honestly it could be anywhere between 400 to 1000. I really have no idea!

It really wound me up last year but I've come to accept it now. It's strange that I know my exact calorie intake during from 7am - 7pm and exactly when I'm going to eat that food but after 7pm it's all taken completely out of my hands.

Anyway, I may well not increase my calorie intake when she leaves... or maybe I will!?!

It's at times like these, especially when combined with my thoughts laid out in yesterdays journal, when a cutting program stands on a knife edge!

Until tomorrow!

P.S. I had a good 4 mile ran this morning and feel very much back to normal again.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Well you'll be pleased to hear (or not - depending on how you feel about my current goal) that I'm feeling a lot more positive about my 2009 cut.

I came to the conclusion last night that, when I reach 8% again this year, I'm probably never going to look like that ever again!

As I'm now so close to re-gained that look, one last time, I know I would regret it if I did stop now. I would definitely feel that I whimped out of a commitment I made to myself way back in 2008.

With that in mind I've done some more very minor tweaking to my diet in an attempt to eliminate every ounce of processed sugar from my diet and with re-renewed determination I will carry on.

The decision was also helped by the Body Fat reading on my scales going down another 1% this morning although my weight remained the same. This does NOT mean that I'm announcing that I've lost another 1%. It is only one measure of two that I use but I see it as a good sign that I am managing to still loose body fat whilst making some gains in muscle density.

I had an easy fasted cardio 4 mile run this morning with no aches or pains and a very strong sprint to finish.

I'm feeling good!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Well my weight remains the same but my waistline is still decreasing. A quick measurement this morning pulled it in at just over 26 inches. I still think I'm 10% body fat but 9% is closing in fast.

I'm not going to be 8% by the end of the month, that was my original goal, but hopefully by Mid June. I'm really going to sound like a girl here but I have a wedding to attend on the 20th June at which point I think my cut should officially end. It would be good to enjoy what would amount to a celebratory carb-up weekend knowing that I've achieved my goal for 2009! I won't have a thing to where (that was the real girly bit) as I still haven't bought a suit since I was Fat Daddy, but hopefully it will be warm enough for me to just wear a pair of trousers (pants) with a shirt and tie. The one pair of smart trousers that still nearly fit need to have a large pleat folded in to do the trick. I don't seem to be able to find any shops that sell men's clothes with a 26 inch waist! Please don't tell me that I should look in the children's section. I just couldn't face that!

This is beginning to read like a script from Sex and the City!

Good grief!

Anyway, I had a good Chest & Tricep workout this morning although I did notice a slight decrease in strength. It was expected! I've recently stopped recording exactly what weights I do as they normally remain the same and the regular increases I was making during the first part of my cut have gradually dissipated. I'm very confident, however, that "muscle memory" will kick in once I start to bulk and I'll soon regain any lost mass.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128lbs

Weighed in today at 128lbs

And that's a new low for me this year! The scale actually flickered between 127.5lbs and 128lbs (it's not very accurate) so things are still progressing very well. I think eradicating nearly every last grain of processed sugar has helped and I've also reduced the amount of skimmed milk powder I use in my porridge and coffee. Every little helps!

I've noticed another benefit of this years cut. My wife! Yes, it's finally beginning to rub off on her (well... in that she's not able to drink alcohol with me and we never have any desserts anymore) and she's lost weight! She's now the thinest I've seen her since she first got pregnant over 5 years ago now. Unfortunately she still doesn't follow any training programs and so will have lost fat and muscle, but hey - I guess it's better than nothing and she does get some exercise just bringing up the two boys and life in general.

I had an average shoulders and back workout this morning. Nothing worth writing about but I progressed each set to failure as always.

I'm getting very close to 9% now - hopefully before the end of this week!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Just thought I'd upload a quick progress pic. I've never taken a pic of my back before so I'm pleasantly surprised!

Attachments

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 127lbs

Weighed in today at 127lbs

And that's another new low for me this year!!!

And with my waist now coming in at 26 inches and the other readings I use I'm now putting myself in at 9% body fat!

ONLY 1% MORE TO GO!!!

I was really pleased with my back pic I took yesterday evening. I had never seen it before and it really gave me a tremendous sense of achievement! I only wish my abs had the same definition but, as I've think I've mentioned before, I had a history of problems with my abs since I was a teenager and it's only really been this year when I swapped exercising them from 2 days a week to the current 1 day a week that I've started to make some progress. So I'll just have to be patient with them but I don't think they'll ever be really impressive - we'll see I guess.

Still I'm very pleased in general and hopefully only have another 2 or 3 weeks until I hit 8% and I can start progressing my muscle development.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 127.5lbs
Current Body fat percentage reading: 9%

Weighed in today at 127.5lbs

My energy levels were definitely down yesterday. I haven't mentioned it but I am now looking after my two boys whilst my wife is engaged on a large freelance project for a japanese company. It's a great opportunity for her but I'm certainly learning how challenging it is looking after children. I think there are three core skills you need to be a good parent. Patience, patience and patience.

Well that's my parental advice for the year.

Whenever I do the on-my-own, week-day parental thing I'm always staggered by how much extra energy I burn off. I normally do it when I'm either on Maintenance or Bulking diet but on a serious cut...!

I'm supplementing my diet with fruit when I really need an energy boost but the hardest part is when I'm feeding them. You wouldn't believe how much self-discipline it takes when your giving your children the most gorgeous, sexy and down right naughty food that I'm simply not allowed to touch! I won't even allow myself to finish off what's left over, not that there's ever much left over. For example... Strawberry Jam on Toast with lashings of butter!!!

I had a very good leg session this morning and set a PR for Deadlifts. I've only been doing these for about 2 months so nothing to really shout about but it's always good to see increases in anything this far into a cut.

PR: Deadlifts: 12 x 4 @ 53.5kg (excluding barbbell and collars)

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Just thought I'd post up my current training program before my current cut ends.

MONDAY
CHEST & TRICEPS

Closed Grip Bench Press: 12 x 4:10kg
Inclined Bench Press: 12 x 4: 16kg
Butterfly Bench Press: 12 x 4: 38.5kg
Tricep Curl: 12 x 4: 15kg
Crunches: 20 x 5: 5kg

TUESDAY
SHOULDERS & BACK

Behind Neck Shoulder Press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Upright Row: 12 x 4: 25kg
Angled Bench Press: 12 x 4: 20kg
Lateral Raises: 12 x 4: 17kg
Dumbbell Shrug: 12 x 5: 37kg

WEDNESDAY
RUN 3 MILES

THURSDAY
LEGS

Squats: 12 x 4: 37.5kg
Deadlifts: 12 x 4: 53.5kg
Leg Extensions: 12 x 4: 30kg
Standing Calf Raise: 12 x 5: 57kg

FRIDAY
ARMS & ABS

E-Z Barl Curl: 12 x 4: 30kg
Closed Grip E-Z Barl Curl: 12 x 4: 23.5kg
Dumb Bell Curls: 12 x 4: 10kg
Reverse Wrist Curl: 12 x 4: 10kg
Forward Wrist Curl: 12 x 4: 22.5kg
Crunches: 12 x 5: 5kg

SATURDAY
RUN 4 MILES

SUNDAY
RUN 4 MILES

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128lbs

Weighed in today at 128lbs

It was my son's 3rd birthday yesterday hence the weight increase. Yes, that is how much half a birthday cakes weighs. Well that was my cheat meal for the week!

I know people often question the benefit of weighing yourself everyday. Most people seem to favour a weekly measurement instead. They think it's a pointless exercise as your weight varies from day to day. Well of course they're right, which is why I never get too upset when I see it fluctuate in the wrong direction. However the point of weighing myself everyday is not primarily to measure and record my weight but to reinforce my daily commitment to my training and diet!

By weighing yourself everyday you are re-affirming you daily commitment to achieving your goals and objectives whilst continuing to keep yourself fully accountable. It's the same reason I keep a journal that I update 7 days a week. Keeping the journal itself is not the primary objective but by actually doing it keeps re-establishing my daily diet and training commitment.

It's my personal belief that it's not the latest fad diet we are on or what particular weight training program we use that makes one person more successful than another. I think success comes with doing what we set out to do every day that makes the difference. Of course the correct diet and training is very useful but only if you have the self-discipline to follow it through for the duration. Most people seem totally unable to do this. The number of new journals that come and go is a fair reflection of this!

I'm not sure why I decided to give everyone a lecture today. Probably because I'm still looking after the children!

Anyway I had a good Arm & Abs workout this morning and my wife said she's noticed some real progress in definition over the last couple of weeks which is always nice to hear!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 130lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: No idea!
Training Phase: Surviving

Another disastrous day yesterday. It started off OK although I wasn't able to go for my normal Sunday run. Then my Grandparents came round to help me with the children, which was great in theory but they brought with them the same cake I couldn't stop eating yesterday AND another sugar engulfed pudding! Good Grief!

From the point of their arrival my energy level just fell through the floor. Having to be a host AND look after the children really was just too much! So I just gave up all efforts to be even the slightest bit healthy and just ate whatever I saw in some desperate effort to keep going.

I was totally exhausted by the end of the day AND had another very difficult night's sleep keeping them both comfortable. They were also up this morning at 6am!

This will continue until Thursday. Today is Monday AND this is a holiday week so no nursery to help with the burden. Oh dear!

So I'm giving up all training and diet until then things return to normal. It's just too much! I'm also not sure if I'll be able to keep my journal as it's taken me nearly two hours just to write this with the constant interruptions.

Anyway... until next time.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 1700 calories over 7 meals a day
Training Phase: Maintenance

Well I'm still here and I managed to get my diet back under some sort of control yesterday. I'm beginning to have training withdrawal symptoms though and my diet is hardly the squeaky clean cut that I seem to be able to focus on so well - when I can train!

I'm attempting the old "maintenance diet" and am shooting for around 1700 calories, but I haven't had a chance to measure, weigh and calculate everything out so it's a bit of a guessing game. My main focus for the next few days is to ensure my sugar addiction is kept under control. To do this I have now rid the house of anything I could be easily tempted to eat, mainly just before bed, that contains loads of processed sugar. How did I get rid of it? Well I ate it of course! At least now that its gone I can't eat it again and I would never buy that sort of crap myself and I certainly can't make it. If only the wife had the same agenda.

I've just checked the larder and there's still a packet of Chocolate Chip Cookies left over as well as half a pack of Bourbon Biscuits and 2 Easter Eggs. Fortunately for me these are all for the children and I don't seem to have a problem keeping these off my radar. It's cakes and puddings I really adore, you know those really heavy british favourites like Treacle Pudding, Rhubarb Crumble & Custard and the classic Spotted ****!. Anyway all those have definitely... gulp... now gone!

I am very fortunate to have two such incredibly well behaved boys. The eldest spends most of his time doing either 500 piece jigsaw puzzles (at age 4!?!) and the other likes doing Colouring In. So they both sit at the table nearly all day doing that whilst glancing at the TV. In fairness we don't have the TV on all day, just when we need to have a little time out to get things done.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 131lbs

I feel like I've just come back from holiday - but I haven't! We picked up my wife from the airport yesterday and things have quickly started to return to normal, firstly with my training, secondly with my diet, and finally with my daily journal.

In her absence I quickly fell into that dangerous "holiday zone" and just kept eating too much of... well, just about everything really. My wife really is the glue that holds this family together. We all survived without her but everything is a lot more manageable with her around and the children certainly feel more secure.

Anyway, I can now, once again, continue my training and re-start my rather prolonged cut. (I can see it going on for quite some time now!) I've no idea how much of my extra scale weight is retained water and how much is fat. I feel quite bloated but still look fairly cut. I guess it has only been 5 days but at times it certainly felt longer.

I'll continue to chase that elusive 8% which I was so close to a few days back. I'm now telling myself that I'll stop, wherever am, at the end of June but with a wedding on the 20th I would still like to finish it then.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I'm definitely still in "holiday mode"! I did have a very good 4 mile run yesterday morning but we all left very early in the morning to drive down to Brighton for the day. I ended up spending about 5 hours driving and 4 hours carrying children around a very busy beach front. We had a fantastic meal in a local restaurant who served one of the best lasagne's I have ever had followed by a very indulgent Tirimisu. Our hosts were perfect and we finished up the day with Apple Pie and Cream so as you can see, not exactly a strict cutting diet!

Anyway we all had a really good day and I felt very calm and relaxed all the time. I could also feel an abundance of energy inside me that allowed me to walk for miles through crowds of people often carrying one of two children. Nothing seemed to phase me!

I also had a very relaxed lye in this morning, something I haven't had for months. I felt so relaxed I decided not to go for a run. Children are back at nursery tomorrow so everything will have to return to normal. I'm going to spend the rest of the day catching up on some admin, cutting the grass and playing with the children. The sun is out again and it's a fantastic day!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Good results man, keep it up.
Thanks Sinon! Sorry I missed your comment and didn't respond sooner!

Today's Journal

Weight: 132lbs

Weighed in today at 132lbs

Our "holiday" felt very much over this morning but it feels good to, once again, regain my controlled lifestyle. This is very much the last month I'm cutting until Spring 2010 so I'm going to make the most of it.

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of gradually increasing my calories whilst maintaining a squeaky clean diet. I think this will be the hardest part of my new fitness lifestyle to date as I do find it extremely difficult to control my eating. Cutting for me is easy but gradually increasing my calorie intake week on week... well I'm not sure. The plan at the moment is to increase my calories by just 100 each week right up until I hit bulking levels. This is to help gradually raise my metabolic rate but is very ambitious as I will have to maintain my focus for a considerable time. Here's why...

My current calorie intake is approx 1300
My official maintenance level is approx 2200
My official bulking level is approx 2600

So by increasing my calories by just 100 a week it will take me just over 3 months to reach an official bulking level. That's a very long time to keep doing weights without an expectation to see any major muscle gain! With this in mind I may therefore increase calories by 200 a week up to Maintenance level and then 100 a week to Bulking level. I'm not sure but it will be something like that.

Anyway I'm hoping this journal will really help keep me under control. It's always the weekends that are the most challenging - and I'm sure I'm not alone there! One thing I would like to introduce is the occasional beer at the weekend. I also want to stop refusing my wife's cakes and desserts at the weekends.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to put together a diet with a built in week on week calorie increase and will just have to see how beer, cakes and desserts fit into this schedule. I still intend to train 7 days a week in the same way that I intend to weigh myself and update this journal every day. These are the "control measures" I have to keep any diet I put in place on track.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Well I'm very much enjoying being back on my strict training and cutting regime. In uncertain times it's good to have something in your life that you can control. I think this was one of the many reasons I started to watch my diet so closely. We do seem to live in very uncertain times in an ever changing world, and I'm not just referring to the recent banking crisis (yawn), so having some element in your life that always remains a constant really does help deliver a strong sense of security.

I'm beginning to think that a measured increase to my calorie intake won't be as difficult as I thought. I'm always surprised how easy it is for me to return to my cutting diet after a few days off, so to make weekly incremental changes to that diet shouldn't be too difficult. I guess it's all down to having a strict routine from Monday to Friday and a fairly strong routine for most weekends. In fairness my routine is not all down to my own successful self management. Far from it! It has been induced by my two small children. I believe the best way to provide them with an emotionally secure environment is through routine. This way they always know what's going to happen and when. But it's through them that allows me to have my own strict routine that seems to suit me very well. For example, if it were up to me I would sleep in at the weekends. Well that hasn't happened for nearly five years now! But being forced to become a morning person, something I never thought possible, has allowed me to train in the morning... and I love to train in the morning! It gets it done and it gives you a great sense of achievement at the very start of each day! And because I have to wake up every day, I know that I can do it every day!

Anyway, the sun shines again, the birds continue their morning chorus and all is well.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lbs

I was really tired this morning and really struggled out the front door for my Wednesday cardio session. My youngest kept waking me up for various reasons which left me feeling bedraggled before I even started the day! This meant that I was in automatic mode for the first 3/4 of my run and only just got into it for the last mile. I did, however, have a strong finish and am now sitting here having had my protein shake and porridge and I'm still feeling hungry. I always consider this to be a good sign that my metabolism is still working well. Two cups of coffee should take care of the hunger and give me a nice caffein kick for the rest of the day.

My weight is dropping nicely since my week off last week. I hope to be back at 127.5 by Saturday. From that point forward I'll feel that I'm making progress with my cut once again. If I can manage to have ZERO cheat anything between now and Saturday 20th June I might even make 8%!

Who knows! At this stage I really can't see myself progressing with this year's cut beyond 20th June. It's really gone on quite long enough.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128.5lbs

Well it's leg day and looking after the children day again! That meant walking up that hill with the buggy and two children again AFTER my training session. Ugh! This time I decided to leave 5 minutes early so I could take my time. Having done that the whole event was much less stressful and I really enjoyed the walk.

I really struggled for energy yesterday and ended up having three apples in total at different intervals to help keep those energy levels up. I find apples are great at doing this. They're about 60 calories each, are a natural source of sugar and are extremely low in fat. They also seem to help fill you up so, as a quick fix energy booster, they're perfect.

I can't say I felt like doing my leg session this morning. It's always the biggest set of the week and leaves me completely drained. Saying that I had a really good set, often the way, and pushed myself harder than I told myself I would just before I started. No PRs but a strong set nonetheless.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128.5lbs

Yesterday was a very challenging day for me. My early morning leg set stole all my energy and then one of our boys was ill in the morning forcing me to make three return trips up that hill again.

We also had our local and european elections so I had to make another trip to the polling station with the same buggy.

Some people may ask why I don't take the car? Well, in my book if the journey is walkable, you walk it! I doesn't matter how much time or energy you have, or how untimely the weather is. I think this is a very good philosophy for everyone's health and the environment in general but I know that most people don't bother, a fact that was made clear yesterday. Everyone I saw turned up to vote in their car. All polling stations in the UK are for the immediate local area and are therefore very walkable for every single person.

What chance does the planet have if us "First Worlders" can't even make a half mile journey by foot?

Anyway yesterday was tough but I stuck to my diet. Unfortunately I also had another very difficult night's sleep due the one of my boys, again, and really struggled, again, with my arms and abs workout this morning. It's been so many years now since I had an unbroken 8 hours of sleep I can't quite imagine what it must feel like.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to being able to eat more on a regular basis, just to have some more energy during the day!

Until tomorrow.