Please Encourage Me As I Try My First Cut

NutriSci

Awards
Hey everyone. A little background on me. I am 19 years old. Been bodybuilding for a little over a year now. I'm 6' 2" and around 235 pounds. I'll have weight and body measurements, and pictures for this log on Sunday. I've been over weight since I can remember, at least as far back as 4th grade. I went from 250 freshman year to 185 senior year during wrestling. After eating and drinking normally, along with lifting weights, I got back up to 210-215. Since summer, I have put on about 20-25 pounds, gained a ton of strength, and kept my BF about the same. Now, I am ready to see all 6 abs, I am ready to see my pecs for the first time, I am ready to CUT!

My training is consistent. I weigh train on a 3 days on 1 day off fashion. The cycle looks like this:

Sunday: Back/Biceps
Monday: Chest/Triceps
Tuesday: Legs/Shoulders
Wednesday: Rest
Then repeat. So every cycle, my whole schedule shifts a day.

Along with my lifting I will be incorporating morning fasted cardio 5 days a week. I will start by going on the treadmill on an incline, as I hear that is a good workout. I may adjust, as needed.

Some personal records of mine:
Bench: 250 X 10, Estimated 1RM 333
Squat: 250 X 8, Estimated 1RM 406
Deadlift: 315 X 6, Estimated 1RM 366 (I know, this is lacking)

Nutrition:
I will be tapering back my starchy carbs. I hope to follow a plan similar to this:

Breakfast (after cardio) - 1 cup oats, 2 scoops Myofusion, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut butter

Meal 2 - 2 scoops Myofusion, serving of peanuts

Meal 3 (preworkout) - 2 chicken breasts, salad with EVOO

Meal 4 (postworkout) - 1 cup oats, 2 scoops myofusion

Dinner - 2 chicken breasts, salad with EVOO

Meal 6 (prebed) - 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut butter

In addition, I will be drinking no less than 1 gallon of cold water per day.

Supplements:

I'm going to be trying Gaspari's Mitotropin. I have heard so many good things about it's weight loss and appetite suppressing abilities. I'll be taking 3 tablets upon waking before cardio and another 3 before my workout.

I will also be taking Core ABC. I'll take 1 serving during cardio in the morning and 1 serving during my lift session. If I only have cardio or I don't have anything some day I may take a serving or two during the day, I have not decided yet.

I also take Animal Omega, creatine monohydrate (5g daily), and Orange Triad.

My goal is to get to 215 in 4-6 weeks. I can't tell you how sick I am of having a high body fat. I have all of this muscle and strength, but nothing to show for it. I need lots of encouragement please. Wish me good luck...I start on Monday.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Good luck bro! your whole plan looks solid, ill be following :)

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Sorry mate but ive never done a cut in my life :p, the closest thing ive done to a cut is stopped eating for months because I was to stressed lol. Honestly though your plan looks 100% solid as far as I can see, morning fasted cardio + low carb diet looks like a plan for success! Just make sure the proteins high enough and you should come out of this looking great! The only possible thing I could think of would be BCAA's during your cardio to help prevent muscle catabolism, just the BCAA's though anything else and it is no longer fasted :) after that just be careful not to push yourself to far and overtrain, but im sure youll be fine with that, the whole plan certainly appears that you know what your doing :)

NutriSci

Awards
Sorry mate but ive never done a cut in my life :p, the closest thing ive done to a cut is stopped eating for months because I was to stressed lol. Honestly though your plan looks 100% solid as far as I can see, morning fasted cardio + low carb diet looks like a plan for success! Just make sure the proteins high enough and you should come out of this looking great! The only possible thing I could think of would be BCAA's during your cardio to help prevent muscle catabolism, just the BCAA's though anything else and it is no longer fasted :) after that just be careful not to push yourself to far and overtrain, but im sure youll be fine with that, the whole plan certainly appears that you know what your doing :)
I am taking Core ABC during morning cardio, which is comprised of 10g BCAA, 2.5g Citrulline Malate, and 2.5g Beta Alanine.

NutriSci

Awards
I know that I haven't started my cut yet, but I want to start posting workouts so I can get into the habit.

Back and Biceps:

Standing Row - 135 X 8, 160 X 8, 185 X 8, 205 X 6, 225 X 3
Seated Row - 108 X 8, 192 X 8, 216 X 8, 240 X 6, 204 X 12
Back Extension - 25 X 8, 45 X 8, 45 X 8
Preacher Curl - 70 X 8, 90 X 8, 110 X 7, 120 X 3
Pull Down Machine - 285 (stack) X 8, 285 X 8, 285 X 8, 285 X 8
Standing Dumbbell Curl - 50 X 8, 55 X 8, 60 X 7

I set a PR for every lift today except back extension, which I don't do often. Very pleased with the standing and seated rows, and also the preacher curls. I did 2 reps of 110 on preacher curls last time I did them, about 3 weeks ago. I'm making great strength gains. Tomorrow is chest. I'll be doing incline bench and flat dumbbell bench press as my main lifts. Looking more and more forward to my cut! Good night everyone.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
best of luck you seem to have diet and training down.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
my apologies, I didnt realise what core abc was. All looks perfect, good luck then!

NutriSci

Awards
best of luck you seem to have diet and training down.
Thank you sir. Easier said than done. The true challenge will be the first week or two when i start the plan.

my apologies, I didnt realise what core abc was. All looks perfect, good luck then!
Excellent. I'm glad it at least LOOKS like i know what I'm doing :p

your strong as heck!
Thanks! For some reason I can gain strength easier than size. I'm hoping this cut will get me to a low BF and then I can just build lean muscle after that. What I have done the last few years is gone from a high BF to less BF, but still too high to see pecs, etc. I have been focusing on just building size and strength. Now it's time to show my muscles off :cheers:

A few other notes. My gym was closed saturday and sunday this weekend due to Easter. This is unfortunate, but I will survive. My next workout will be Monday morning at 7 am sharp for my morning cardio. Wish me good luck!!

NutriSci

Awards
Alrighty, good morning guys and gals! I've got measurements and pictures for everyone.

Weight: 233.8lbs
Measurements:
Chest - 43.5"
Arms - 14.5"
Waist - 37.5"
Thighs - 24.75"
Calves - 15"

Those seem like the important measurements. Let me know if any other ones would be helpful.

Pictures:

NutriSci

Awards
From these pictures I'm guessing I'm 20% BF. What do you guys think?

NutriSci

Awards
Had my first session of fasted cardio today, and it felt great. I have a feeling it's because I am still carbed up from the last few days, so I am expecting a decline in mood within the next few days as I taper off of the carbs. My heart rate was hard to get into the "fat burning" level. I wanted to be between 130-140. I found the sweet spot on the treadmill at 7 incline and 3.5mph. Did about 26 minutes at that and 2 minutes at the beginning and end as warm up and cool down respectively. Burned 400 calories.

Couple of notes on the supps:
Mitotropin - I've been off of stims for about a month now, so the caffeine (i think it's 160mg) felt good. Almost jittery, but not quite. Good focus. I didn't sweat more than usual. I also talked to a Gaspari rep and he said that I may feel stomach discomfort if taking the Mitotropin an hour before I eat anything, which I did. No discomfort for me, as of yet. Hopefully I won't get any :) Also, I am not hungry at all. I am still eating breakfast, but I feel really full. Maybe the mitotropin, maybe not.

Core ABC Fruit Punch - This is delicious. ALMOST like kool aid. I've heard that BCAAs are really hard to flavor, so I must say that Core ABC is awesome. For the first time in my life I felt the BA tingles :D It was kind of fun. It felt really weird in the shower afterwards. I got them mainly on my back and head, and I still have them now. Really looking forward to seeing this products effects in the long run.

For breakfast now I am going to have 4 pieces of Ezekiel bread, 2 of the pieces made into a pb sandwich. I want to eat more carbs than just oats, so I'm going to switch it up a little. Other than that, nothing really to report. I'll post later after I lift weights today, chest and tris.

NutriSci

Awards
Good Chest and Tricep workout today:

Incline Bench - 225 X 8, 245 X 8, 265 X 3, 285 X 1
Flat DB Bench - 100 X 8, 110 X 8, 120 X 2, 75 X 20
Flat Flies - 25 X 25, 30 X 25, 35 X 25
Skull Crushers - 80 X 8, 110 X 8, 120 X 8, 125 X 5
Dips - BW + 45 X 7, BW + 45 X 6, BW X 10
Straight Bar Press Down - 132 X 8, 156 X 8, 168 X 8

I got a PR on incline bench, Skull Crushers, and Press Downs. Very happy with this. I am optimistic, but I'm not sure how my low carb diet will affect my lifts.

A few questions...

1) I am familiar with the concept of carb ups. I am just not sure when to do them or how many carbs to consume. I've seen examples where fat and protein are considerably lower, and carbs are up quite a bit. Can anyone shed some light please?

...I guess I only had one question :D

NutriSci

Awards
Alright, so I calculated my macros for the day, roughly.

Calories: 3100
Fat: 100g
Protein: 325g
Carbohydrates: 150g

45/30/25 Ratio (roughly) protein/fat/carbs

The math doesn't quite add up, but it's close enough.

I was just doing some hypothesizing and I was thinking that a possible carb up could be cutting my fat in half and doubling my carbs. I was thinking of doing this every 3 days. Does anyone have input?

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Good Chest and Tricep workout today:

Incline Bench - 225 X 8, 245 X 8, 265 X 3, 285 X 1
Flat DB Bench - 100 X 8, 110 X 8, 120 X 2, 75 X 20
Flat Flies - 25 X 25, 30 X 25, 35 X 25
Skull Crushers - 80 X 8, 110 X 8, 120 X 8, 125 X 5
Dips - BW + 45 X 7, BW + 45 X 6, BW X 10
Straight Bar Press Down - 132 X 8, 156 X 8, 168 X 8

I got a PR on incline bench, Skull Crushers, and Press Downs. Very happy with this. I am optimistic, but I'm not sure how my low carb diet will affect my lifts.

A few questions...

1) I am familiar with the concept of carb ups. I am just not sure when to do them or how many carbs to consume. I've seen examples where fat and protein are considerably lower, and carbs are up quite a bit. Can anyone shed some light please?

...I guess I only had one question :D
i would not carb up. I work for a weight loss place and we encourage people to still get at lease 20% of their diets from fats, but they get on very low carbs. Even no potatoes.

what suppliments are you taking? check out my log if you wanna get some ideas from some supps. my log link is in my signiture!

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
youll need a healthy amount of fat to support hormone production!

NutriSci

Awards
i would not carb up. I work for a weight loss place and we encourage people to still get at lease 20% of their diets from fats, but they get on very low carbs. Even no potatoes.

what suppliments are you taking? check out my log if you wanna get some ideas from some supps. my log link is in my signiture!
I have heard so much about carbing up...hmmm....

I am taking Mitotropin, Core ABC, and Orange Triad. Thanks for the link.

youll need a healthy amount of fat to support hormone production!
I know that. When I cut fat in half I am still getting 50g, and it's only for 1 out of every 3 to 4 days.

NutriSci

Awards
Good afternoon all! My chest is extremely sore today. I am attributing most of that to my giant sets of flies. Feels really good :D

I'm just on my way out to the gym for a leg/shoulders day. My knee has been hurting off and on for the last couple of weeks. It's fine now, so I am going to experiemnt how heavy I can go on squats.

I was not able to do cardio this morning because I had a 745 chemistry lab and it would be too early for me to wake up. So, I had 2 Ezekiel bread sandwiches this morning at 720with a protein shake. Had my second meal at about 1100 this morning which consisted of: 7oz of cod, a chicken breast, a bunch of zuccini and onions sauteed in olive oil, and 2hard boiled eggs. Smother that **** in hot sauce and we're good to go :D :D

Since I couldn't do cardio this monring, I am going to play some basketball tonight and sip on a serving of Core ABC during. That stuff is delicious. Peace.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
trust me carbing up is not good if your trying to cut weight

NutriSci

Awards
trust me carbing up is not good if your trying to cut weight
Could you please post any proof supporting your statement.

In my eyes, if you are constantly on a low carb diet, then your muscle glycogen stores will slowly deplete and never be full. However, if you carb up once every few days while keeping calories the same, your glycogen stores will be replenished allowing for better workouts and more energy. Please support your point of view.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established

In my eyes, if you are constantly on a low carb diet, then your muscle glycogen stores will slowly deplete and never be full. However, if you carb up once every few days while keeping calories the same, your glycogen stores will be replenished allowing for better workouts and more energy. Please support your point of view.
no your absolutely right to carb up once every few day to replenish glycogen storages. But i thought you were refering to loading up on carbs for a long period of time like a high carb diet to swoll your muscles up. im sorry miss understanding. Yeah have a high carb day or two wont hurt. I would keep it to one or two days a week if you could though. Unless you start feeling fatigued or out of gas durring your workouts

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

2 refeed meals thats all at your body fat, do em in the same day, towards the end with something like glycobol (nutrient repartioner) do this at the end of the week after depleting.

Ketones provide a stable source of energy (provided you have enough dietary fats) you realize muscle holds up to 300g of carbs and pssibly more in trained individuals. Also according to dr connely, 80% of energy comes from gluconeogenisis and the other 20 is from what you ingest and stroed as muscle glycogen.

so lets assume you work out 5 days a week, and each session burns 40g glycogen, that leaves you with 100g glycogen left, NOT INCLUDING carbs from indirect sources yeilding 30-70g per day. That alone is enough to fuel your workouts.

NutriSci

Awards
no your absolutely right to carb up once every few day to replenish glycogen storages. But i thought you were refering to loading up on carbs for a long period of time like a high carb diet to swoll your muscles up. im sorry miss understanding. Yeah have a high carb day or two wont hurt. I would keep it to one or two days a week if you could though. Unless you start feeling fatigued or out of gas durring your workouts
Alright, glad we're on the same page :D

2 refeed meals thats all at your body fat, do em in the same day, towards the end with something like glycobol (nutrient repartioner) do this at the end of the week after depleting.

Ketones provide a stable source of energy (provided you have enough dietary fats) you realize muscle holds up to 300g of carbs and pssibly more in trained individuals. Also according to dr connely, 80% of energy comes from gluconeogenisis and the other 20 is from what you ingest and stroed as muscle glycogen.

so lets assume you work out 5 days a week, and each session burns 40g glycogen, that leaves you with 100g glycogen left, NOT INCLUDING carbs from indirect sources yeilding 30-70g per day. That alone is enough to fuel your workouts.
I didn't really understand anything you said...

NutriSci

Awards
Cardio went well this morning. It was the quickest session yet, at least mentally. My new playlist is really helping me get through. I'll probably post it when I have time :D

Today is back and biceps. I am really looking forward to barbell curls because I keep setting huge records in it! And I am really starting to like deadlifts, now that I am going heavy in them. That's all to report now. Post later :)

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alright, glad we're on the same page :D

I didn't really understand anything you said...
lol

low carb diets usually result in ketosis when done right, that is the build up of ketones in the blood, that spares muscle tissue

essentially your muscle holds ~300g carb, you deplete approx 40 per workout,

so you do the math, and remember you always have indirect carb sources

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
yeah hes right, you shouldnt need to load up on carbs moer than once a week. glad to see your not ignoring the cardio!!!

NutriSci

Awards
I just realized that I forgot to post my workout from yesterday:

Squats - 225 X 8, 315 X 5, 350 X 5, 375 X 3
Seated DB Military Press - 80 X 8, 85 X 8, 90 X 6
Leg Press - 650 X 8, 740 X 8, 830 X 8
Standing Row - 95 X 8, 115 X 8, 135 X 5
Lateral Raises - 25 X 20, 25 X 20, 25 X 15
Leg Extension - 210 X 20, 250 X 15, 315(stack) X 12

I set a PR on my first 4 lifts, so I was pretty happy :D

Cardio is going well, lifting is going well, and I know that I have lost weight so far. The second week will be the determining week I think because I am assuming most of my losses the first week will be water weight. The following weeks will be the true test of whether or not I am losing fat. Back and biceps tonight at 8 pm.

As far as carb ups go, I am not feeling lethargic or overly tired as of yet, so I'm going to keep carbs between 100-125 grams.

NutriSci

Awards
Man, I am pretty wrecked today. I am so glad that it is my off day. Not only that, but on Thursdays I don't have any class, so I woke up at 11. I decided not to do any morning cardio. I may, however, play basketball later. Other than that I have to study for a biology exam today. I am debating carbing up tomorrow for my chest day, because yesterday during back and biceps I felt really flat and weak. Speaking of yesterday...

Deadlifts - 225 X 8, 315 X 6, 350 X 2, 225 X 15
One-arm DB Rows - 90 X 8, 105 X 8, 110 X 6
Lat-pull - 180 X 8, 192 X 7, 204 X 4
BB Curl - 115 X 8, 135 X 2, 95 X 10
Sideways Hammer Curl - 35 X 6, 35 X 6, 35 X 6
V-Bar Pulldown - 168 X 8, 180 X 6, 192 X 4

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I SUCK at deadlift and cannot get any stronger in that one lift?!! It's really annoying me and I am getting discouraged. For my weight and other strength stats, my deads are pathetic.

Other than that I was pleased. I set a new record in one-arm rows, lat pulls, and v-bar pulls. Curls felt a lot weaker than last weak, and I didn't get as good of a pump as I usually do on back days. I think this is because of carbs. We'll see how tomorrow feels. I may not even lift tomorrow if my chest feels this sore again.

Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Awards
Refeeds are great but at your body fat you need to take it as far as you can till you plateau, then add in a refeed every 4-7 days. Right now I would have a cheat meal once a week or if you want to play it safe, a refeed using only low fat carbohydrate sources for about 3-4 hours.

Later you can get into the heavy stuff, like refeeds every 4th night for 6-7 hours, or a 24 hour refeed at the end of the week. Just save that advanced stuff for later. Also I recommend doing as little cardio as you can get away with at this point, you will need to up it later when fat loss stalls out...trust me...don't use all your weapons at once.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
i dunno i grow so fast from deads i have to do them only once ever two weeks or else ill get my lower back unproportionally thick.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
i dunno i grow so fast from deads i have to do them only once ever two weeks or else ill get my lower back unproportionally thick.
youll have to excuse me for not feeling to sorry for you :tounge-in-cheek: j/k NutriSci your workouts are lookin great mate. Do you do deadlifts first in your workout? btw

NutriSci

Awards
Refeeds are great but at your body fat you need to take it as far as you can till you plateau, then add in a refeed every 4-7 days. Right now I would have a cheat meal once a week or if you want to play it safe, a refeed using only low fat carbohydrate sources for about 3-4 hours.

Later you can get into the heavy stuff, like refeeds every 4th night for 6-7 hours, or a 24 hour refeed at the end of the week. Just save that advanced stuff for later. Also I recommend doing as little cardio as you can get away with at this point, you will need to up it later when fat loss stalls out...trust me...don't use all your weapons at once.
Hmm, that is an interesting concept of not using all of my weapons at once. Does anyone agree?

youll have to excuse me for not feeling to sorry for you :tounge-in-cheek: j/k NutriSci your workouts are lookin great mate. Do you do deadlifts first in your workout? btw
Yes, I do deadlifts first on every other back day. I just don't understand how I can PR if every other exercise, except deads.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Depends on how far you are prepared to go for fat loss, if you wanna keep it natural then I would half agree with the statement about limiting cardio, what I mean by this is for now when the fat is coming off easeir just stick to standard cardio, when things get harder youve still got HIIT to turn to so I wouldnt worry..

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
supersets are good for burning calories, good for cutting, maybe apply this when you hit a plateau to shock your muscles into growth while incorporating fat loss

NutriSci

Awards
I understand now. Well, for this first month I'm just going to do LISS in the morning like I have been. When I go home from college in mid may, my buddy who is a PT wants to take me through some circuits, so that should help trick my body. It's going well so far. Even though I'm only a week in, I feel better, lighter, and I look leaner.

Oh, and I am going to stay natural for a LONG time, btw.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
I understand now. Well, for this first month I'm just going to do LISS in the morning like I have been. When I go home from college in mid may, my buddy who is a PT wants to take me through some circuits, so that should help trick my body. It's going well so far. Even though I'm only a week in, I feel better, lighter, and I look leaner.

Oh, and I am going to stay natural for a LONG time, btw.
NOICE!!!!!!!!!! I'm all natty too baby! Been workout out lately?

NutriSci

Awards
NOICE!!!!!!!!!! I'm all natty too baby! Been workout out lately?
Yes sir. Sorry that I haven't updated in a few days. My computer has been acting really strange, but it seems to be better now. I weighed in this morning at 230.0 even, so I lost 3.8lbs the first week. Feeling and looking good. Been playing basketball the last few days as opposed to boring treadmill stuff.

Chest went really well yesterday. I hit a new record on flat bench 260 X 8

I'm going to start doing a faster paced workout with a little higher reps. I did that sort of workout yesterday and really liked the pump and sweat I had going. Going to hit back a little later.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
thats great progress so far bro. probably lost more fat than 4 lbs. due to the muscle your putting on the scale might not reflect that.

NutriSci

Awards
thats great progress so far bro. probably lost more fat than 4 lbs. due to the muscle your putting on the scale might not reflect that.
Thank you, sir. I probably lost a bit of water weight as well. If the weights are going up and the scale is going down, then I'm not complaining :D

Random181

Awards
  • Established
This looks to be goin bloody well! good luck mate ;)

NutriSci

Awards
Great leg workout today. Did mostly hamstrings and a bit of shoulders. Weighted lunges, step ups. Twas a good time. I feel really good now that I lost a little weight. I feel lighter and really motivated to keep it going.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
thats right, motivation and dedication are key

NutriSci

Awards
thats right, motivation and dedication are key
I've definitely got the dedication down. I'm also very consistent. The progress is showing.

I've added more carbs to my diet because I really feel that I cut too many, too quickly. So I'm taking some more PWO. I feel good doing this so far.

Since leg day killed me yesterday, I didn't do cardio this morning. I'm hitting chest tonight at around 7, and I will resume fasted cardio tomorrow morning. Wish me luck on my nutrition exam today!!

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Nutrition exam? no ****in wonder you know how to diet so well! haha, good luck with it mate

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
I've definitely got the dedication down. I'm also very consistent. The progress is showing.

I've added more carbs to my diet because I really feel that I cut too many, too quickly. So I'm taking some more PWO. I feel good doing this so far.

Since leg day killed me yesterday, I didn't do cardio this morning. I'm hitting chest tonight at around 7, and I will resume fasted cardio tomorrow morning. Wish me luck on my nutrition exam today!!
well as long as your feeling good, you know your body best! once your metabolism is used to being kept up at a faster pace and you have knocked a lot of the weight off, you might want to start introducing a more normal amount of carbs so that your body can adjust. eventually youll be able to eat a normal amount of carbs, maintain a fast metabolism, and keep the weight off. That is ideal. Of course this is MONTHS down the line

NutriSci

Awards
Nutrition exam? no ****in wonder you know how to diet so well! haha, good luck with it mate
Haha, yeah. I'm actually majoring in Dietetics right now. Hopefully I can become a registered dietitian, and we'll see how it goes from there. I think I did well on this exam :)

NutriSci

Awards
So, the plan is to have my morning oats, which is roughly 50g carbs, and then the only other source of carbs is 50g from chocolate milk PWO. I'll be taking in about 100g of carbs on lifting/cardio days, and probably only 50g on just cardio or off days. We'll see how that works outs.

On a side note, I am looking leaner and it is giving me so much confidence and happiness. Cardio went well this morning. Everything in general is swell :D

How is everyone else doing on their goals?