Pmiller's WSBB on the Anabolic Diet log

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
November 2008....It Starts​
Well if any one out there is interested in seeing how the anabolic diet works for powerlifting here is the log to follow. I will update my training with my max effort lifts only, if you guys are curious about accessory work just let me know and I will elaborate. I just started the AD so I am in the adaptive phase right now eating 18x bodyweight which equates to about 4000kcals.​
Training
Basic Westside Barbell template with both Max effort and dynamic effort days. May utilize the repeated effort method in my next training cycle but I am not sure yet. Currently I use Metal Kind v-type squatter single ply and a Inzer Rage x size 50 (I am going to squeeze down a size eventually.) Outside of my WSBB training I usually do extra workout consisting of high rep band work, Self-myofascial release, and Defranco's Agile 8​
Foods
Beef - eggs - cheese - olive oil - fish oil - heavy cream - nuts .... I may get crazy and start making things like chicken sovlaki, flax seed concoctions, etc. My daily carb intake will mostly be Broccoli and salad greens​
Supplements
Currently just using my staples which are All The Whey's proteins, Pepto Pro after my workouts, and cissus just because I already have a bottle opened. If I am feeling a little lackluster I will dig into my stimulant stash and use either Shred Matrix (may make it to hard to get in calories) RPM (I prefer to save it for competition or really intense training) or X-Force by IBE. Finally if I am really feeling rowdy I may throw in some Powerful or Bullet Proof to get my dirty supplement fix.... Down the road I will throw in Assault, Battle Fuel, Prime, X-Factor, Glutamine and Glycine, but that wont be for a while, and not all at once of course.​
Current Competition Stats
In my competition this past weekend I weighed in at a dehydrated 217 (down from 230lbs the morning before) and I did a 475 press and 525 pull. No squat at this meet.​
My Goal
GFH without the carb bloat I usually carry around. Get a 500lb press in a single ply shirt, break 600 in the dead lift, and make my squat less of a joke than what it is now. I plan on staying in the 220 class for the next meet in the spring.​

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Nice, P. Definitely subbed....

Looking at breaking 600 myself, did a 314bench/540dl raw a couple of weeks ago, couldnt test a 500 squat as it too was a push/pull meet... How much weight did you gain by the next morning, from a dehydrated 217?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

Best of luck with this P...

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Nice, P. Definitely subbed....

Looking at breaking 600 myself, did a 314bench/540dl raw a couple of weeks ago, couldnt test a 500 squat as it too was a push/pull meet... How much weight did you gain by the next morning, from a dehydrated 217?
Not much, I weighed in right as the first flight of lifters started so I really had no time to rehydrate properly before lifting. I used downed a handful of RPM and chugged some Kool-aid with GMS in it. My gear was supper loose as a result so I really did not get as much out of it as I should have. I mean I just about put the bench shirt out myself, and on my 475 try the bar went straight down and I didn't have to pull to touch at all. The next day I got back to about 225 and since being on this diet for the past three days I am back at about 220. I think the biggest thing that helped me was flushing out my digestive track, food like oatmeal seems to stick with me for a few days and often leaves me feeling weighed down.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
First Week
Well surprisingly I got a pretty crazy pump today, which I absolutely cant stand anymore, from doing some rep work. Our group is taking it easy with the CNS work until after Thanksgiving since most of us were starting to feel pretty run down after our last training cycle and little nagging injuries are starting to pop up. The diet seems to be treating me pretty well so far, I am getting closer to actually hitting my desired caloric intake (18xBW=3995kcals) and I have yet to experience a lack of energy or mental clarity on the diet. I can't really say I have had any cravings for carbs as of yet, but I think I am just overwhelmed with the different types of cheese I can eat now. Also I made a pretty boss shake yesterday and plan on doing it again tonight.
Boss Shake:
2 scoops ATW's Milk Protein Isolate ( thicker than any other protein I know )
1-2 tablespoons of bakers Cocoa (nice kick of fiber)
Sucralose (pure sucralose, not splenda)
1 TBSP Olive Oil
3 TBSP Heavy Whipping Cream
1 TBSP Fish Oil (on side as an appetizer...)
Water

Mix it up in a blender bottle and eat it with a spoon!​

Last edited:
pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Well I must say that my energy has been great so far, I will be really interested to see how ME legs goes tomorrow.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I've been recomping on AD for awhile now; like to see how it works for bulking. This should be good. Subbed.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude i had no idea you competed in powerlifting....

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I'll be paying attention here.

It's good that you feel energized and don't have the mental fatigue that some people get on this diet.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Well I just had my Max Effort leg day yesterday and since it was such a nice day we decided to do some strongman stuff. We did some Tractor tire flips, Farmers Walks, and Sled drags (used a tire with weights which sucks compared to a metal sled, so much friction) Other than that we just some reverse hypers and standing abs. I felt pretty great for the workout today, but after the workout I drank some PeptoPro and I got the symptoms of hypoglycemia about 15 minutes later. When I got home I eat some beef and cheese and went back to feeling great. So far the only draw back I have from this diet is that I am losing a lot of weight quickly, I woke up today a few pound under 220! Time for some more heavy cream i guess.....

The pro's so far have been:
-No energy up and downs, very consistent all day.
-No gas and bloating ( I honestly think I have only ripped one or two durring the week, not like me at all lol)
-Skin looks better
-Meals are really satisfying, I will eat and the about ten minutes later just feel absolutely great.
- The first week was really easy on me, mainly because I have kept my calories where they would normally be. I am still finding it hard to hit the 4000kcal mark, but thats just because I have to find some more portable foods other than eggs. I can only eat so many eggs before I get a little uneasy. I have be using about 1 dozen a day.

Here is the food I know I consumed this week just off the top of my head:
5.5lbs 85/15 ground beef
2lbs Mozzarella cheese
5 dozen eggs
1lb Farmer's cheese (never by the sodium free kind, lesson learned)
1lb Flax seed.

I have eaten a lot of other stuff too, but that is what I bought at the grocery store monday and the only thing that is left is 6 flax seeds that are stuck to the container lol.

1 week until first carb up....

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
About the weight loss. Weight will fluctuate during the week depending person to person and on how much muscle you have. As the muscle glycogen depletes you'll lose intramuscular water weight. It'll jump up when you carb load.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I'm also going to be bulking while on this, so I'll be following this closly :)

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Current Competition Stats
In my competition this past weekend I weighed in at a dehydrated 217 (down from 230lbs the morning before) and I did a 475 press and 525 pull. No squat at this meet.​
:good:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Second Week
Well I have gone about 8 days now with no carbs and I feel pretty energetic and just overall well since starting. The only time I seem to feel any signs of low blood sugar are right after I chug a PeptoPro shake after my workout. I still haven't hit my desired calories (got within 100kcals the past few days) but again that is mainly because of poor planning on my part. I will say though that I am feeling a little flat right now, and although it has affected my strength it is starting to bug me a little bit. I am going to cut the 12 day period down one day just because I will normally be carbing up Friday and Saturday rather than the traditional Sat & Sun. I initially thought by this point I would be craving some sweets or something but really the only carb I am looking forward to is a the beans in some chili. When the day comes though I will probably make some oatmeal feel slutty and get crazy with some cans of Pumpkin.​
My Foods So Far
If you don't like beef this diet certainly isn't for you. Its cool how you can eat a piece of steak or some ground beef and then feel like you just popped some RPM. Over the weekend I didn't have beef in the house because I had to eat some chicken that was taking up to much room in the freezer ( I am hording turkeys now...) and that definitely did not fit the bill for this diet. Even with drenching the chicken in a few different oils the only I was found it to be a good source of energy is when I ate a couple eggs with it as well. Then I got to thinking how I was eating a whole family of chickens rather than just one or two family members, so I felt good knowing that they were being reunited in a better place lol. Anyways here is my recipe that I have been finishing my day with, it seems to really calm me down at the end of the day.

Pmiller's AD Cookie Dough
2 scoops of ATW's Milk Protein Isolate (very important)
6 TBSP of Golden Flax Seed Whole
Sucralose (not splenda but pure sucralose)
Grape Seed Oil or Heavy Cream ( whatever type of fat you need for the day to round you out)
Bakers Cocoa
Water

Grind the flax seed and mix it with the two scoops of protein and some cocoa in a bowl. Add your desired fat and a little bit of sucralose. Then slowly add in water and mix until it gets almost like a thick batter. Put in freezer for about ten minutes. Eat some broccoli and Olive oil while you wait.... And then Munch out . It works out to about 35g's fat (Assuming 1 TBSP of Oil or 3 TBSP of Heavy Cream) about 24g's carbs with 21 being fiber and 60 grams of slow digesting protein.​

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
10 days deep
I had a really strong workout today, which was much to my surprise. Starting yesterday afternoon I starting feeling like my grip strength was non-exsistent and a little confused in general. (Two pretty good signs of low blood sugar) Today when I went to my gym I was having a rough time just keeping my arm up on the steering wheel but as soon as I hit the weights I hit some PR's. Here is today's workout for anyone interested:
DB Bench Press : 90x12 100's x 20x26x17 = 62 reps total which is ten up from last week.
DB Floor Press : 100's x20x20
Chest Supported Rows : 200x15x15x15 (moved the cable station on the last one so I stopped that exercise)
Reverse Hypers : x20x20 (while I was waiting for everyone else doing CSR's)
Fat D-Bar low cable rows : 250 x15x12x12
Band Pushdowns : 5 sets reps higher than I can count

We are doing some rep work in place of our dynamic days since we are just coming off of a meet and everyone has those little nagging injuries that we want to heal up.

I am going to cut the 12 day period 1 day short and start my carb up on Friday, mainly because that is when I will normally be carbing up as of right now. Hopefully I can make it through max effor legs on Friday and then I am going to go nuts on some oatmeal. I plan on using simple liquid carbs right after my workout and that switching to complex whole foods there after. If anyone has advice on doing this properly please share.​

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
My First Carb Up​
I can honestly say that after my first bowl of cereal, toasted oats with whey, that I wanted to go back to eating the fats lol. I ended up eating mostly complex carbs with the only exceptions being a scoop of Dextrose right after training and some sugar that was in a granola bar. I ended up only carbing for 24 hours (11am of Friday until 11am of Saturday) because after my second meal on Saturday I ended up sleeping the rest of the day away and woke up for an hour or so and then went back to bed lol. I ended up putting on about 4-5lbs from the carb up and didn't get any bloated or puffy feeling. Next weeks carb up is probably going to be a little dirtier so that I can get in more carbs and also because there is going to be some great leftovers from Thanksgiving.
My training today was pretty steller aside from having a little low blood sugar right before starting. Once we got rolling I set a PR on a 2 board press which I was really happy about because we used a fat bar for the first time today. I was a little frustrated because I had a pump after my first couple warmup sets but luckily it didn't affect my lifting to much. I actually had a few of the guys comment on how I looked a lot bigger than usual today so that was pretty refreshing. I pretty much killed the rest of my training today and ended up throwing around more weight for all my movements. I am expecting to have another good workout tomorrow morning because I still feel pretty pumped up and carb loaded.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Start of Week Four
Well I am just getting back to a conventional Westside routine so its time to see how this diet really builds strength. I actually put a little size on my arms in the last week but my weight has stayed at about 220. The only thing I have really noticed so far with the carb ups is that the next day I seem to have symptoms of low blood sugar for most of the afternoon, and then I am back to feeling steller two days after. I am going to try a little tip I seen on T-Nation (real bored at work) of using leucine after a carb up to help clear blood sugar and get back to utilizing fats for energy. This past carb up I used a couple Pslins and went a little dirty because I am trying to pack on a few pounds. I must say the combination of 4 oreo's (double stuffed) + 2 cups of oats and some vanilla protein makes for one enjoyable meal with a wicked pump about 30 minutes later. I am also thinking about throwing a little bit of Glycerol into my daily supplementation because I am finding myself a bit dehydrated after training towards the end of the week, anyone else utilize anything like that?​

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Leucine tip is not a bad idea... I may use that with my macro cycling layout for my low days...

You are making me want to drop the bulk and start leaning out again buddy...

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Its winter, don't drop the bulk!
Im going to up my calories to a bulk phase after this week, I am pretty comfortable with the diet now so its time to start manipulating it.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
December 20, 2008​
Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been busy with everything else. This diet has been treating me great so far and I am really enjoying it. I have gained about 2 pounds since starting but I am also almost 1.5 inches smaller around the waist so thats pretty awesome. One thing I really like about this diet is that I have absolutely no stomach issues such as gas or bloating during the week. Also my energy levels have been substantially better since I have become acclimated to the high fat diet. I have had any problems with regularity either and I am not using a fiber supplement so thats a plus. As for my lifting I have had some really good sessions and only one bad session in the past three weeks. So of the highlights include:
Deadlift against doubled mini's 425x2 (200lbs tension at top)
metal Militia reverse band bench press 545x3
Chain suspend good morning 455x3 (one day after getting pinned on the same exercise at 315, that was my bad session).

One thing I really have yet to get down though is the carb ups, every week I am only using one day because I feel like poop throughout most of that day and don't want to stretch it to two days. So far the most effective carb up seemed to be a really dirty one (double stuffed oreo's, oats w/ maple syrup, granola bars, etc) but I also felt pretty bloated in the few days that followed. Today I am trying to utilize a good mix of simple and complex carbs but I am aiming for about 800-1000g total. Hopefully I will be nice and carb'ed up for the last day of my training cycle tomorrow which will be a shirted bench day and then I will go into a nice deload week.

As for supplements right now I am using Reset AD by Palo Alto, Battle Fuel by Muscle Pharm, and X-Factor. The combination of the Battle Fuel and the X-Factor has been pretty noticable in the past couple weeks that I have been using it, mainly in the cell voluminizing and the DOMS. I just started the Reset two days ago because I took 3 RPM and 2 X-Forces a couple days ago and did not get so much as a little extra pep from it.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good luck on your refeed today pmiller. Try to keep it as complex as possible for the carb choices. But you have to treat yourself to at least 100 or 200g of simple sugars. Lets face it, they're just so good.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We need an update...broski...

How is the Rev. Hyper working?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
We need an update...broski...

How is the Rev. Hyper working?
Hyper is working out awesome, I have been getting in some swings just about everyday. I am deloading this week so I really don't have anything exciting going on with my training right now. I will say though that I am hungry as hell at work right now because I was running late so only had time to grab some peanuts. To make matter worse I got a nice gift from my boss, a big box of chocolate peanut butter things:food:. Outside my office there is a sh!t ton of left over cookies, candies, eggnog etc but its all so damn carb laden. The only things the people ate at their xmas lunch today was what appears to be almonds (judging by the four empty tins in the garbage) and some cheese. I think the finance dept. of the nursing home are all on the AD diet!!!!!!!!!!!!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Two Months Deep
Well I have been on the diet now for almost two months and I am pretty sure I am going to be sticking with it for a long time. I have put about 10 pounds on since the week before Christmas, but I think some of that is just glycogen that I didn't use up this past week.
Recent PR's
These are all comparisons since starting the diet, most of these were about 1 month apart
SSB 12' Box Squat- 275x3 to 335x2
Anderson Good Morning - 405x1 to 455x3 (finally found my groove)
Power Arch GM - 405x5 - 405x10
Glute Ham Raise - 8 reps with light band to 6 reps w/ average band + back elevated
Reverse Band Bench (Metal Militia Blue) - 495x2 to 545x3 (again much better set up second time around)
Pull Ups - BW+45x5 to BW+45x9​
Other Observations
There are a couple things I didn't really notice until just recently, but here they are:
Way healthier feeling skin
No more dandruff (had dandruff for as long as I could remember, not really bad but just enough to be noticable)
Way more consistent GI activity
There is a few different aspects to this one, first the only time I get gas or have to let one rip is the night of my carb ups. In fact I can only remember breaking wind maybe three or four time in the past month that wasn't during my carb up. Secondly I never feel bloated or weighed down after eating during the week. My pants are all fitting me like they should everyday, not being tight one day and loose the next because of a carb bloat. Third my stool has been moving easy and has been looking, and smelling, healthier (enough poop info there I am sure). Finally I seem to be way more on schedule for when I am hungry, during a typical diet I would get hungry out of no where and be extremely hungry despite eating a very clean diet with mostly low GI carbs. Now I never feel hungry really but more or less I know that at 8,12,2:30,5-6,9-10 I am going to eat and its not going to be forced or I am not going to be starving before hand.​
Carb Up
So I have been sticking to 12 hour carb ups just because other than powerlifting I really am not to active during the week in the winter. Honestly even with the powerlifting and the occasional shoveling this is the most sedentary I have been since my first year of college. Granted I am probably way more active than what a typical person is but compared to how I am in the summer this is pretty bad. This week I am going to try a new strategy by just having one or two large carb meals one week and then the next week having a traditional carb up. This way I will still get the hormone boost with the carb up but I can deplete myself a little further and increase my insulin sensitivity.​
Supplements
So I have a bunch of Nutrient repartitioners such as Anabolic Pump, ALA, Banaba 20%, and Pslin. I decided to play around with a couple of them to see what they can do for me on the diet.
ALA I tried using the ALA at night before I have the bulk of my carbs during the week and it was just way to strong, it would make me feel hypoglycemic if I used it in the days after my carb up and it seemed to give me a head ache when I woke up the next day. I only had a few caps left so thats all gone now.
Pslin I have used this by double dosing it right before my carb up starts at the end of my "depletion" workout. Every time I have done this I turn into a carb machine for my first couple meals and usually end up laying down a few hours later with pumps every time I try to move. I mean I honestly got a pump in my hand when using my remote last weekend. One this I do like with the Pslin is that I haven't gone into a carb coma if I use it. I don't get a ton of energy or anything but I don't end up taking a nap and sleeping through most of the day.
Anabolic Pump I want to thank Mullet for helping me out with this one, but I had been using the AP right before bed to low my blood glucose levels and maybe even lean myself out a little bit. One thing that I have noticed from protocol is that I stay much more full throughout the week and don't seem to flatten out as the week goes on. Also I have been getting good pumps in my muscles during my workouts throughout the week which I personally find annoying sometimes but the recovery has been good after. Finally I notice a little GH boost while I am sleeping because I have some pretty vivid dreams and if I wake up in the middle of the night to take a whiz my legs are usually sweating pretty good.​

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On your GMs; how high are they suspended?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
About two inches above my belly button, I do lower ones with a camber bar and I am absolutely horrible at those. The other ones though are what I have been doing since I started so thats what I keep my progress with.