Keto Log

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I decided to keep a log up tracking my progress on a somewhat constant basis. I'm big on the keto styled diet stuff and i'm glad that this forum has alot of members that follow a similar style. I'll be posting every so often with my training and food recipes. I'm 178 pounds, 5'10 about, hovering around the 16-18 body fat percent. Had a bad year family wise and loss alot of the size and by effect muscle I would've had, but no real loss. My first goal is to get my abdominals to show, and the follow up goals are to stand at 200 pounds and 10 percent body fat.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I'll be following this :)

Good luck on your goals, and thanks for all the help on mine, I'm debating on starting a log.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
No problem, until I actually can get a new gym membership i'll probably just throw up keto friendly recipes.

Mojito

Ingredients:
Garlic
Olive oil (any oil you prefer)
Black pepper
Lemon/lime juice
Salt to taste
Onion
Cilantro

You mix the dry ingredients together in a food processor then pour the olive oil and lime/lemon juice in and spin to combine. I'll get a picture of it up after I make my next batch. It can be poured on vegetables, or on food to up the flavor/fat content.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Seasoned Ground beef + Onions
80-20 ground beef cooked through
1 medium sauteed onion
Seasonings of your choice

Here i've used 2.5 pounds of ground beef 1 medium onion, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Some more food -

Microwaved Egg Omelette

Ingredients: 2 eggs, 2 slices of ham broken up into small pieces, salt, pepper, 2 slices of american cheese, bit of milk,

Steps: Scramble the eggs and seasoning together in a bowl, any amount of precooked ham into small pieces, place pieces into scrambled eggs. Next, place the bowl into the microwave for 90-120 seconds at a time, stiring up the mixture to make sure for even cooking. Cooking time depends on your microwave. When close to congealed place two slices of cheese on top of the eggs, zap until done.

Pros: Easy to make, tastes good.
Cons: May have some trouble cleaning the bowl if its cooked too long.

Peanut Butter (home made)

Ingredients: 2/3's a cup of roasted peanuts, salt, pepper or seasonings of your liking, some type of oil.

Steps: In a food processor destroy the peanuts until they are finely broken down. Introduce any spices you like (steak rub does good here), salt is a must as it will be bland without it and salt enhances the flavor. Blend a little longer to mix in. Pour in around 3-4 tsps (1-1/3rds tablespoons) of oil for every 2/3rds of a cup of peanuts, process until smooth, peanut butter smooth.

Pros: You can use cheap oils to bring up fat content, I used a cheap sunflower and olive oil mix. Can make your own flavored peanut butter, easy to eat. Other nuts could probbly be used, almonds, walnuts.
Cons: Requires a food processor, CAN NOT be kept in the cupboard or out, it needs to be refrigerated.

Garlic-Vegetable-Beef

Ingredients: Beef, garlic, vegetables (frozen or fresh), seasonings you like (I just used Adobo, salt, pepper and red pepper flake).

Steps: Cook up the beef, add in your vegetables and garlic and let cook a little longer so that the vegetables stay fresh and the garlic permeates the flavor.

Pros: I LIKE THE ****ING FLAVOR! Get your carbs and fiber in without having to deal with vegetable taste.
Cons: None, not going to list one....but if your worrying about fat loss. Look down

That was what was left in the pan after cooking 3.5 pounds, 4200 calories worth of fat and protein. That is barely 1 tablespoon. It can be soaked up with a small piece of high fiber bread, it can be used to cook an egg. As long as the meat is turned while cooking, moved around to pick up the fat there will be limited fat loss, along with the vegetables they soak up some of the fat as well.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Dang, definately looks like you got your food down :)

That omelette, it was only nuked? Would that work with egg beaters as well?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. Yeah only nuked. I'm not too sure actually i've never tried egg beaters. Should be able to work most likely.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Thomas, great thread. I like the pictures and recipes. I'll be following along!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, i'll be updating training now that I have my gym membership renewed.

Todays workout chest+triceps

Barbell bench:
45X10 warm up
115X8
115X8
115X8

Iso-Wide press
140X8

Incline bench
45X10

Tricep pully pushdowns
80X11
80X11
80X11

Chest Flye machine
50X10
50X10
70X7

Lateral raises
10X10

Front raises
10X10

Had shoulder pain in my left shoulder, previously I needed to do shoulder strengthening exercises, which I will start up again in a few days.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
This will def be a fun log to follow :)

I'll be trying that nuking the egg beaters thing in a couple hours, I'll post up if it works.

Also, you might want to look into some osteo-sport if it is joint stuff, heard that stuff rocks.

EDIT: Works VERY well with egg beaters too, LOVE this stuff :D

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
That's good that the egg beaters work. My problem is that my left shoulder is disproportinate in strength and size to my right. I had fixed it before my gym membership expired, but with a little more than a month off its gotten back somewhat.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Dang, that sucks, good luck fixing it, hopefully it won't take too long.

I'll be getting my gym membership once bball ends around February, then the clean bulk will start for me.

Just another recipe thing, I read(and tried) the protein brownie thing, dunno if you've seen it yet, but it tastes AWESOME.

It's in the recipe section, it's 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 or 2 tablespoons of PB or almond butter, and water, mix it all up and nuke it for about 120 or so(till it's all together and crap) It tastes great, and is one of, if not the only sweet thing I can eat all week, other than the jello. Perfect low-carb dessert :)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried that, i'll give it a shot the next time I have peanut butter in the house. My shoulder should be better in the next few weeks I'm guessing, It just stunts my ability to work out chest some.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hamburgers...sort of

Ingredients:2.5 pounds of 80/20 beef, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic salt, sliced garlic.

Steps: Season meat with dry ingredients, form into patties, put sliced garlic into the meat.

Pros: Tastes good nice and spicy.

Cons: I was too anxious to eat them in hamburger form so I broke them down to make them cook faster.

A little cooking tip here for garlic.

Smaller pieces=more intense flavor
Cooked garlic loses the spice and pungent flavor to a more sweet and almost buttery flavor.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
nice you added the whole garlic in the hamburger.
Hell yeah you know how we do it.

Friday's Workout

Half mile walk to the gym
5 minute walk on treadmill 3 miles an hour

Lateral raises
10X10
10X10

Dumbbell shrugs
50X10
60X8
70X6

HIIT
5 minute warm up
7 minute HIIT - No Remorse, Cannibal Corpse cover of Metallica song
5 minute cooldown

Over all, it was an excuse for me to get to the gym, do some of the rehab stuff for my shoulder. It's the lateral head of my deltoid that needs to be brought up in strength and size. I'm happy about the shrugs for now, my grip is adjusting and my trap strength is coming back up.

The HIIT was amazing, it was the first time I did it on the treadmill, I used to do it on the cardio bike. Definitely going to be doing HIIT on days I don't feel i've worked out enough or days where i'm not working out.

Food for the day

5 eggs
4 slices of american cheese
4 slices of ham
1.25 pounds of beef with garlic
Half a slice of bread post workout with some of said beef
I'll be eating vegetables and 2 more eggs, 2 more slices of cheese and ham to end out the night probably.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Had a small carb up today, I've been getting really dizzy lately, probably because i've been lower calorie.

Half a hero of garlic bread
4 mozzerela sticks
3 rolls
1 beef patty

Will eat more as the day goes on and shift back to low carbing tommorow.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Mmmm, sounds yummay(sad how carbs sound good, in any form, lol)

Glad to hear the shoulder situation is going well :)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. It's building up quickly, doing really well.

My next carb load is going to be on the 26th, through the 27th. Right before thanksgiving, I save myself 20 bucks to visit with family and eat their food.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Today so far i've had

2 eggs
1 serving of peanuts
1 chicken cutlet marsalla with mushrooms
Water

I walked to my gym and back, which is a little over a mile, maybe 1.5 miles.

H.I.I.T
7 minute warm up
15 minute intervals
~40-50 second walking at 3.5-3.9 miles an hour
~10 seconds walking to running at 8.0 miles an hour
10-20 seconds running at 8.0 miles an hour
~6-10 seconds running to walking back to walking.

Did that until the 15 minutes were up, ended it running for 20 seconds at 9 miles an hour. I feel pretty spent today. My energy levels were so so, I had a little trouble sleeping last night but I managed to fall asleep at about 5 in the morning, I woke up at around 10:30. I really never liked doing cardio, but my cardiovascular health was horrible, so I'm really stepping it up. I had considered to just add three minutes in today, but HIIT is fun, I didn't want to stop really. I'm rethinking my whole back routine, I'll see what happens tomorrow.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I took today off, I was feeling sick, I walked about 3-4 miles today however. Some new things i've been looking into.

Low Carb Tortillas

So I ****ed up here, I picked up a package that has 17 carbs per a serving and only 5 grams of fiber. Big mistake on my part I thought I picked up the 5 carb tortillas. Anyway, how do I rate this food. Mission whole grain tacos.

Flavor: Good flavor. While cooking wise I usually insist that the flavor depends on the spices, this taco and other low carb tacos have a real earthy Sunchip flavor to them. I'll post up pictures tommorow sometime, but they taste good to me.

Texture: This is the fall back, it rips too easy in the package.

Value: For a few bucks, to get some tacos, sure its a good use of cash. The possibilities for using tortillas goes beyond just tacos. You could easilly fry them into tortilla chips and use an avacado dip (for the extra fat), or a low carb tomato based salsa.

Ricotta Cheese

I actually picked this up for something else I was going to cook for my family on thanksgivings day. When I happened to look at the nutrition I was pleasantly surprised.

Taste: Very bland, nothing to distinctive. This isn't that bad of a quality actually, ricotta is commonly used with a spice/herb mix as a filler, lasagna, ravioli. I like it for this reason.

Texture: Great texture, not congealed like most of your cheeses, kind of crumbly, kind of kept together, binds well.

Value: Great value. 9 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein and 2 carbs about. Thats for every 28 calories in protein you get 81 in fat, this is close to where you want to be for AD. Somewhere around 30-40 percent protein and 60-70 percent fat. So this is really close.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Microwave Egg recipe 2

Picture tomorrow

Ingredients: Eggs, ricotta cheese, slices of jalepeno, black pepper and salt.

Steps:
1. Microwavable safe bowl with eggs
2. Crack and scramble eggs in bowl (this would be a good time to add any spices you like).
3. Place in ricotta cheese, as much or little as you like and mix in.
4. Put in jalepenos, make sure you dip them under the egg so they can get trapped in the egg.
5. Cook
6. Eat.

Pros: Like all microwavable egg dishes, it's easy to do. Clean up is minor. The texture is rich and slightly cheesy, but only with the faintest afternote. It's an easy way to add calories into your eggs. The Jalepenos have a tang to them and a good spice.

Cons: If the eggs are cooked too long they will cake onto the bowl.

Pepper Mill

Well, I'm no chef, i've worked in a restaurant before and I did enjoy it, I might consider the cooking business later on in life, but I never really considered the difference between fresh ground pepper and store bought. I bought a container of peppercorns with a mill attached to see what I thought.

Flavor: WOW, wow, there is a huge difference between freshly ground pepper and the store bought pre ground stuff. It's a more dynamic flavor and a lot more spice to it. I tend to use alot of pepper when I cook, I use a lot less with the same result.

Texture: I can get from a really fine grain to a thicker grain, which really doesn't matter too much but its a nice feature.

Value: It depends on person to person, getting a pepper mill that you fill with pepper corns is probably more worth it than buying the preformed mills that are not meant to be refilled. Like the one I bought :).

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Still eatin' good, nice :)

Just curious, what do you eat every morning? I'm bulking now, and can't seem to get above 400 or so cals in the morning, even with cheese and 5 eggs or so. And I'm freaking SICK of doing that, stomach kills me all day, sometimes into practice(I eat at 6:50 AM, and practice is at 3 PM). I'm thinking to just eat a crapload of bacon for the cals.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Still eatin' good, nice :)

Just curious, what do you eat every morning? I'm bulking now, and can't seem to get above 400 or so cals in the morning, even with cheese and 5 eggs or so. And I'm freaking SICK of doing that, stomach kills me all day, sometimes into practice(I eat at 6:50 AM, and practice is at 3 PM). I'm thinking to just eat a crapload of bacon for the cals.
Oil and heavy cream are both extremely calorie dense. You can mix them in shakes.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I usually cook my beef ahead. That way for breakfast I have around 1 pound of beef to eat that I just need to heat up in the microwave. If not I'll eat eggs and snack on peanuts.

Like Rob said you could just use oil or cream, the oil you can take a tablespoon in your mouth, drink it down with water. The cream you can whip up, mix a little of the sugar free jello powder in it and eat it like desert.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Today was bad all over, I guess I'm stressed out because of personal things. I wound up falling asleep at 5 in the morning and waking up at five at night, I slept for a full 12 hours. I went to the gym which went badly, but ah well I'll fix it tomorrow.

Seated cable rows:
80X10
90X8
100X10

Bicep curls
25X10

Sprinting
5 minute warm up
8 miles an hour for 1 minute
5 miles an hour for 1 minute
9 miles an hour for 30 seconds

walk home.

Today i've eaten
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
1 ounce of peanuts
1/2 ounce of peanut butter

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Dang bro, that's rough :(

Ah well, tomorrow will be a fresh start :)

I'm still searching for something to help with my stomach screwing up from eggs <_< You do OK with a lot of eggs?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I do eat a lot of eggs. It's never been a problem for me. Do you have any allergies?

Yeah its rough, today i'm going to keep my calories low to try to compensate for it. I might just hit 1200 and stop.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Nah, no allegies.

I finally hit about 2600 cals or so today, started with lots of bacon instead of lots of eggs, carbs were prolly 20-25 though, so I gotta watch that now that I have more PB/almonds/pecans. I really need some more protein powder too, hating this mocha stuff from ON, I think it's their only bad tasting one <_< After I get my cinnabun and cupcake batter.

Is there a good tasting oil that I can stick in my shakes? Coconut oil is just weird, EVO tastes like crap, and I can't find almond butter in the store.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, you can try to flavor your drinks with an extract. Almond, cinnamon, vanilla. They should have minimal carbs but have SOME alcoholic presence. But not enough to even get a baby to get drunk. Canola oil is very bland, over all oils taste like oils unless you flavor them yourself.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ya, didn't think about that. Guess I'll go for some pumpkin spice or cinnamon or something :)

Sorry for askin questions in your log, lol.

I'm loving the refeed on weekends :)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
No problem, I really don't mind the questions. The way I see it is that I can keep a log on a file on my computer somewhere, I do it to share the experience. I started out keto dieting without any good source to go to for reference. I started low carb dieting with honestly just a handful of things.

Tuna fish
Olive oil
Onions
Mayo
Mustard
Chipotles
Hotdogs
Whatever my parents would cook something (rarely)

For about a month, I ate only tuna fish and oil, then I started to use mayo and garlic powder to make tuna fish. Then I started to make my own chipotle sauce out the mayo and chipotles. Then when my dad died last january I needed to start cooking for myself so I started with steaks, eggs, moved on and on.

So for training wise, I keep that written down to know what worked, where I can go. It's the diet and approach to low carb dieting I think are the more dynamic parts of it. So the questions are more than welcome because it helps me think of things I haven't considered.

I've decided to keep my calories at 1200 today. I'll have one more egg meal and all my carbs before I go to sleep.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about your dad :(

Dang, you definately started out basic :O
I really need to get into cooking more, that's what is getting me. I'm bad at cookin raw meat, so that kills me. I mainly go for the chicken, but it's so frikkin lean that it won't fill me like the hamburger and beef would.

Are you liking the low carb tortillas? Those things are frikkin awesome, I eat one a day and I love em with some cheese and turkey.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about your dad :(

Dang, you definately started out basic :O
I really need to get into cooking more, that's what is getting me. I'm bad at cookin raw meat, so that kills me. I mainly go for the chicken, but it's so frikkin lean that it won't fill me like the hamburger and beef would.

Are you liking the low carb tortillas? Those things are frikkin awesome, I eat one a day and I love em with some cheese and turkey.
Thanks.

What's your problem with cooking the meat? I can give you some pointers. Chicken is really lean, I usually only eat it when I have something fatty I can eat with it.

I love the low carb tortillas, I want to wait until I finish this bag then buy the ones that have 5 net carbs per a tortilla. I made ground beef, put onions and lettuce on it with hotsauce after I browned the tortilla in beef fat, it was good.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
WTF? :jaw:

Is that a typo? 1200 calories?!?

That is way low.

Yeah I know lol, i've only been up for about 7 hours so far, I'm going to stay up for a few more hours, then take some sleeping pills and wake up early tomorrow.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
***TIP***: When microwaving eggs I ALWAYS spray the bowl with PAM first. Makes the clean up 10 times easier....just my .02

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
***TIP***: When microwaving eggs I ALWAYS spray the bowl with PAM first. Makes the clean up 10 times easier....just my .02
Nice, I have no clue why I didn't think of that, lol <_<

I just seems to be bad at cookin meat it seems, it will either be too dark(burnt-ish) or not cooked enough and taste funky. Guess I just need to practice it some more, haven't done it much either.

I'm thinking I'm gonna refeed tonight because tomorrow I'll be at work right after practice, and I'm gonna keep myself from eating any more pancakes from now on, they get me too bloated and full way too fast. So if I start tonight, it may be easier, and then I can gauge if I can have pancakes tomorrow by if I have any carb room.
Is there a reason people refeed every 5 days or so? Or is it solely the glycogen depletion that is what we wait on? Because if I can refeed every 3 days or so, just a small one at night, that would be great.

Does running around for 2 hours use a bit of glycogen from the legs? I read cardio should be kept to a minimum on a CKD because it doesn't deplete much glycogen.

What BF are you getting to before you bulk Thomas?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ahh, your probably cutting the meat too thick before you cook it, or your cooking the meat on too high heat.

We wait for a combination of things, mainly, the longer in ketosis the longer in optimal fat burning also because of the glycogen depletion. When the glycogen stores are depleted and after your depletion workout your body will more willingly store carbs as glycogen and store extra glycogen.

You could do a post workout carb up of about 100-150 carbs every Wednesday to improve workout quality.

Cardio does use glycogen, that's a main reason to avoid it during carb ups. Especially if you're doing HIIT cardio, it will deplete glycogen levels. I do HIIT on every non training day and everyday when my legs aren't sore from the gym.

I just want to drop until I can see my abs, about 9-10 percent probably, then I'm going to bulk.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ah ok, thanks for the tips on the meat. :)

I may do a 100 or so carb up every couple days, but that leaves me no room for screwups on other days(like too many nuts ^_^)

I was advised to bulk to about 180 or so, then cut, but I hate this eating so much, I'm not wicked lean, so I don't see why I need to bulk already. I still have the fat on my stomach/sides, so why can't I just keep working out hard and cut that fat while adding a some definition(recomp I guess?) I'm thinkin I'll go back to 1700-1800 cal days, and crack down on carbs, try to keep them to 5-10 or so, and cut out nuts, other than walnuts(really low non fiber carbs)

So, essentially, you could over-eat on a refeed as long as you did cardio to make up for some of that? I'm thinking I will stick to only 6 hour or so carb ups from now on because I just suck at having an entire day for carbs, lol. I got so bloated last week, it was unreal. Stomach was killing me for a day or two from all the pancakes and gatorade >_<

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ah ok, thanks for the tips on the meat. :)

I may do a 100 or so carb up every couple days, but that leaves me no room for screwups on other days(like too many nuts ^_^)

I was advised to bulk to about 180 or so, then cut, but I hate this eating so much, I'm not wicked lean, so I don't see why I need to bulk already. I still have the fat on my stomach/sides, so why can't I just keep working out hard and cut that fat while adding a some definition(recomp I guess?) I'm thinkin I'll go back to 1700-1800 cal days, and crack down on carbs, try to keep them to 5-10 or so, and cut out nuts, other than walnuts(really low non fiber carbs)

So, essentially, you could over-eat on a refeed as long as you did cardio to make up for some of that? I'm thinking I will stick to only 6 hour or so carb ups from now on because I just suck at having an entire day for carbs, lol. I got so bloated last week, it was unreal. Stomach was killing me for a day or two from all the pancakes and gatorade >_<
Refeeds, really unless your getting to really low body fat, you can pretty much over eat a little. I've gone up to 5000-6000 cals on the first 24 and hardly gained anything, scale wise, appearance wise, nada.

You should consider gaining weight because your in the 140 range. Being 5'7 you might not need to bulk up to 180, I would go to 160, see how you look.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, was a typo, I meant 160. Ugh, guess I'll keep eatin a boatload, guess I just gonna grin and bear it till I can get to 160.

Right now I'm doing another refeed because I'll have to work tomorrow right after practice, and I wanted some carbs ^_^

I seem to start getting bloated and frikkin gassy when I eat more than 50g or so carbs, is that just me or is that common? I'm thinking about grabbing some Gut Health in my next order along with the RPM/BCAAs/BA/protein

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Breakfast:
Bacon and eggs + cheeese usually

Lunch: Wrap with turkey + cheese(low carb wrap)

After practice: Shake + PB in the protein brownies(sometimes I add walnuts)

Dinner: I usually just eat whatever until bed, nuts, PB, jello, heavy creme, and usually a smaller dinner of chicken + cheese or something.

Eating is suckin right now because I don't have a lot of prep time, atleast I haven't for this week, and prolly won't till Monday.

I live with my mom ATM, and her cousin's daughter accidently hanged herself(16 months old) in cords when the mom walked away for a little while, so my mom went up to Ohio to be with the fam. I'm home alone, and I go to school early in the morning, get home late after practice, then go to work or hafta do dishes that got piled up from the days I was busy <_<

So, time is killing me these days

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear that. For your carb load what do you eat?

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ah, sorry, thought you meant diet, lol.

I just have gatorade post-WO and through the first night of carbs, with white bread and sugary cereal(like captain crunch, or fruity pebbles or some crap) and also some muffins, pancakes sometimes too. The second day is wheat bread, some yogurt, more cereal, and a muffin or two again.