shaddow's REHAB Log

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Nothing crazy. Nothing fancy. Just a place for me to record my going ons while trying to get myself up to par and ready to run my Anabolic Edge (sponsored), Activate Xtreme, Divanex & IGF-2 supplement log.

For those not in the know, I ruptured my hamstring on August 30, 2 days before my sponsored PAL Anabolic Edge log was supposed to kickoff, thus delaying it a good bit. Dave at Palo Alto Labs was cool about everything, so my log will still be going down, just gotta give the hammy a little time to recover. In the meantime I will be recording my workouts here, just to help keep myself motivated in the meantime. Eyes on the prize, baby.

I will start with my first workout which took place this past Tuesday, 10 days after the accident. I'm going to try to get into the gym 3x a week (maybe only 2x this first week), and will probably stick with a full body routine for the time being until I feel like I can handle a bit more volume. I will adjust my routine as I see fit, and record my results here.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Pics of my leg one week after the accident:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Back to the gym!

Day 1 (Backdated - Tuesday, September 9 - 10 days after accident)

I hit the gym tonight, and it felt soooooo good to be back. It was like returning home after a long (awful) trip somewhere. As soon as I walk over to the free weight area a couple of the regulars are hounding me about my gimp-walk, and I tell 'em what happened. They proceeded to tell me that the gym hasn't been quite the same for the past week and a half; they felt like the energy there had dissipated, so that certainly put a smile on my face.

Got there about an 1:45 before closing, and decided to do whatever I could that wouldn't be affected by my hamstring. Started with pull ups, God I missed pull ups, then went to the Smith machine for incline and flat bench. Could definitely tell my strength was down, but I expected that. Lying in bed for a week will do that to ya. Hit incline flies, and moved onto biceps. Did some isolation curls and hammer curls, and then jumped to tris; seated dumbbell extensions, and cable triceps extensions. Still felt like I needed some more back work so I hammered out some awkward T-bar rows. I say awkward cuz I had one leg to the side, yet intertwined around the base of the machine, while my left (injured) leg was kinda floating freely. Definitely not ideal, but it worked and there was no strain on my hamstring, so that's what mattered.

After that time was winding down and I decided to try a couple quick hamstring exercises. Lying leg curls @ 10lbs. Not a chance. I felt sharp, deep pain on the first rep, and even with a leg assist from my right leg, there was pain in the motion, so I stopped. Hit the seated leg curl machine, and that was a lot better. I did 3 sets @10lbs for 20 reps. Tried to move up to 20lbs, but it was too much, so I used the smaller increment weights and did a few sets at 12.5 & 15lbs. 17.5lbs proved to be too much weight as well. LOL. That sounds pretty pathetic, but that's where I'm at. I'm not gonna push the hammy too hard. Last thing I wanna do is re-aggravate it.

Overall it felt great to be back in the gym, and seeing a bunch of the regular guys there made me feel like I was back at home. I'm gonna try to get in there 3x a week from here on out to do some light maintenance work to keep myself from wasting away for as long as I need to before I can really start attacking the weights. I'm listening to my body and I'm generally pretty in tune with things, so I guess this means I'm officially rehabbing. One day at a time. That's all I can really do. I'm gonna try to start doing some resistance band rehab for my hammy too if I can ever find my bands... I have a whole set somewhere.

One thing that has been way off since my injury has been my diet. For the first 6 days I couldn't stand for extended periods of time, so cooking was out of the question. I've eaten delivery and random restaurant foods more in the past 10 days than I have in the past 10 months.

I started eating better the past two days, and tomorrow I'm finally going back on my diet. I'm pretty excited about that.

As far as this log is concerned... I think I'm gonna keep it up and keep posting in it just to keep myself motivated until I can actually run all the intended products. I wanna say I should be good to go in 3 more weeks, but I'm totally gonna take it a day at a time and listen to my body and just see how it goes.

vi et animo,

shaddow

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Subbed........ Damn !!!!!!!! I feel for ya Brother.

Im in here to follow ur progress Bro....Heal Up!!

Like ya said..eye on the prize!!!

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
As much as I'd like to get into the gym tonight, I have a lot of work I need to get caught up with (I missed 6 days of work) and will probably stick around the office and do just that. My sleep was interrupted for 3 hours last night as I had to deal with some family drama, so I think I'm gonna just work late, and try to get to bed early tonight so I can get a good workout in tomorrow.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
in! Good luck man - I have a good feeling youll be up and pushin weight in no time! :thumbsup:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
So I got home around 8pm last night, went online for a bit, ate some food, and got to sleep shortly after 11. Actually, I was lying in bed from about 9-11 "resting" just before deciding to actually sleep. I woke up late this morning and was a couple minutes late for work. Just wanted to mention this cuz last night was the first time in MONTHS that I got >8 hours of sleep on a weekday. :woohoo: I generally average 5-7 (shitty, I know).

Since I woke up so late I didn't get to eat my normal big breakfast, so I had some granola bars and a protein bar in the car while I drove to work. Once I got to work I had some oatmeal with a scoop of ON and an apple. About an hour later I threw back a chicken breast, spinach, and a handful of almonds.

I am feeling good today. Been trying to do more walking these past couple days and it seems to be helping out a bit. My leg is still pretty sore, but my limp is almost gone, and I'm guessing that by Monday it will not be obvious to the outside world that I even have a leg injury. Pretty stoked about that. And I'm super stoked about my workout tonight. I'm planning to hit up the gym in the evening and get a bit more done than I did Tuesday. I didn't hit shoulders, so I'm planning to hit those up after back and chest. My weights won't go too high, and I'm still severely limited as to what I can do, but I'm planning on working up a good burn on every exercise however I have to do it (more reps, slower reps, whatever it takes).

I'm feeling an increase in appetite today which is a good thing. I finished my chicken meal about 30 minutes ago and I'm already looking for more food. Found some whole wheat bagels in our staff lounge and I'm at it again. :twisted: Don't remember whether or not I've mentioned it in here, but my diet while I was on bed rest for a week was CRAP, and after cleaning it up this week I still have only been getting in 4-5 meals as opposed to my usual 6-8. I figured I didn't need all the extra calories anyways since I haven't been too active, and, well, my appetite just hasn't been there. But today I'm feeling HUNGRY. Bring on the calories!! :duel:

I'm probably gonna head to my lady friend's place this evening after my workout/pwo meal to get a late night cardio session (or 6) in. :hammer:

Other than that... No big plans this weekend. Probably just take it easy and keep slowly keep working my leg. My outlook: Excellent. :dance:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IN.

Glad to see you have this log going. I've injured this same muscle. Sucks big time, but you'll be back at it stronger than before pretty soon. I gurantee it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outlook is key, bro. Seriously, glad your spirits are up, you're headed in the right place :thumbsup:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
IN.

Glad to see you have this log going. I've injured this same muscle. Sucks big time, but you'll be back at it stronger than before pretty soon. I gurantee it.
Thanks for the support, brother!

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Outlook is key, bro. Seriously, glad your spirits are up, you're headed in the right place :thumbsup:
I was pretty miserable while I was in bed, but I still generally have a pretty good outlook on things. I usually like to think the glass is 3/4 full. :D

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Nice Brother!! glad to see the spirits high!!!!

Good work.....

Also, have fun with that cardio session!!! Lookin for some late night cardio myself (fingers-crossed):hammer:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Nice Brother!! glad to see the spirits high!!!!

Good work.....

Also, have fun with that cardio session!!! Lookin for some late night cardio myself (fingers-crossed):hammer:
Thanks man! Good luck finding something to get into! :cheers:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn things are lookn better already! Keep up the good work man! Its very inspirational! :cheers:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to join in on the toasting :cheers: Umpaaahhhh!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:drunk:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We're all going to get drunk and pass out in Shaddow's log.

I put my boxers on backwards on purpose, so if I wake up and they're correctly fitted..... I'm just going to tell myself it was the girl in Metroba's avi :nono:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol..ahh:rolleyes:

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
We're all going to get drunk and pass out in Shaddow's log.

I put my boxers on backwards on purpose, so if I wake up and they're correctly fitted..... I'm just going to tell myself it was the girl in Metroba's avi :nono:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Right, i wanna motor-bout those son of a guns!!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think I would like to go all the way with her :D

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Got home from work a little later than planned. Decided I'd give my Animal Pump sample a go tonight. Got my Xtend ready, threw in a little creatine, and popped an AP (Anabolic Pump this time). Next thing I know it's 8:55 and my gym closes at 10:00 on Fridays, so what could I do? Workout faster!!! :aargh:

Got to the gym. 50 minutes to workout... Stretched my back out a bit cuz it's been a little stiff. One lingering side effect from a broken back I suffered 7 years ago is that my back stiffens up a bit from time to time. I usually stretch out my back and hamstrings a bit and I'm ok, but with my hammy messed up I still have some lingering stiffness that I can't really seem to get out. No biggie, just be a little more cautious. 45 minutes...

Quick 20-rep warm-up set followed by 3 sets for every exercise. Started out with pull-ups once again, then jumped over to t-bar rows. On to chest, but dumbbells this time. One thing to note is that it's a bit harder to get the weights started because of my hamstring. Even the pressure from the weight on my knee before liftoff could be felt in my hammy and ass. My butt hurts! LOL. But I knocked out incline and flat bench anyways before jumping over to the pec deck. Decided to do Smith barbell shoulder presses followed by cable lateral raises. With time winding down I decided to attack my arms fast, fast, fast! Close-grip Smith presses, followed immediately by rope triceps extensions supersetted with standing cable curls. By this point the Animal Pump was definitely kicking pretty hard. Had a great pump while blasting my arms. I could feel it a bit during my other exercises, but not quite like I did in my arms. I was wishing I could stay longer and keep blasting them, but the manager already had asked me to leave, so that was it for my workout.

PWO I took an AP and 20 minutes later went to eat only to find out I was missing my carb source I thought I had. Could've sworn I still had some whole wheat pasta in the fridge. Guess I ate it. Damn. I found a solution though. Brown rice, and a can of kidney beans! Chopped up half a cucumber, 8 plum tomatoes, and a chicken breast, and threw it all in a bowl. Bon appetit!

The Animal Pump was pretty cool. It was the first time I've ever taken one of those "pump" supplements (aside from Anabolic Pump, but I still don't really get much of a food "pump" from it). Did it do what it said it would do? Yeah, I could feel it, especially in my arms. Would I buy it? I'm not sure. I don't know how much I really buy into the whole "pump" thing. And I think I would rather put my money towards something designed to increase my muscle mass. But it was neat, none the less.

Overall I felt great. Good workout tonight. Gonna take it easy the rest of the weekend and try to hit things a little harder on Monday, with a little more time in the gym this next go around.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
LOL. Getting hammered in my log, I see. You guys are a trip. :D I'll drink to that! :cheers:

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Got home from work a little later than planned. Decided I'd give my Animal Pump sample a go tonight. Got my Xtend ready, threw in a little creatine, and popped an AP (Anabolic Pump this time). Next thing I know it's 8:55 and my gym closes at 10:00 on Fridays, so what could I do? Workout faster!!! :aargh:

Got to the gym. 50 minutes to workout... Stretched my back out a bit cuz it's been a little stiff. One lingering side effect from a broken back I suffered 7 years ago is that my back stiffens up a bit from time to time. I usually stretch out my back and hamstrings a bit and I'm ok, but with my hammy messed up I still have some lingering stiffness that I can't really seem to get out. No biggie, just be a little more cautious. 45 minutes...

Quick 20-rep warm-up set followed by 3 sets for every exercise. Started out with pull-ups once again, then jumped over to t-bar rows. On to chest, but dumbbells this time. One thing to note is that it's a bit harder to get the weights started because of my hamstring. Even the pressure from the weight on my knee before liftoff could be felt in my hammy and ass. My butt hurts! LOL. But I knocked out incline and flat bench anyways before jumping over to the pec deck. Decided to do Smith barbell shoulder presses followed by cable lateral raises. With time winding down I decided to attack my arms fast, fast, fast! Close-grip Smith presses, followed immediately by rope triceps extensions supersetted with standing cable curls. By this point the Animal Pump was definitely kicking pretty hard. Had a great pump while blasting my arms. I could feel it a bit during my other exercises, but not quite like I did in my arms. I was wishing I could stay longer and keep blasting them, but the manager already had asked me to leave, so that was it for my workout.

PWO I took an AP and 20 minutes later went to eat only to find out I was missing my carb source I thought I had. Could've sworn I still had some whole wheat pasta in the fridge. Guess I ate it. Damn. I found a solution though. Brown rice, and a can of kidney beans! Chopped up half a cucumber, 8 plum tomatoes, and a chicken breast, and threw it all in a bowl. Bon appetit!

The Animal Pump was pretty cool. It was the first time I've ever taken one of those "pump" supplements (aside from Anabolic Pump, but I still don't really get much of a food "pump" from it). Did it do what it said it would do? Yeah, I could feel it, especially in my arms. Would I buy it? I'm not sure. I don't know how much I really buy into the whole "pump" thing. And I think I would rather put my money towards something designed to increase my muscle mass. But it was neat, none the less.

Overall I felt great. Good workout tonight. Gonna take it easy the rest of the weekend and try to hit things a little harder on Monday, with a little more time in the gym this next go around.
Nice workout Bro..
Yeah, Ive done that more than a few times...the Ol' forget the early close on Fridays...Sucks.....All in all great workout and progress!!!!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Do it shaddow! :cheers: <--- I had to join in.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im still hungover from yesterday's round

ehhh fuck it! :cheers:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Had a pretty chill weekend. Definitely got lots of rest. I'm really looking forward to my workout tonight. I'm probably gonna break up my workout a bit more this week. Actually, I need to start planning that, so I'll post here again once I figure out what I wanna do. I'm thinking I'll break it up over 3-4 days, but we'll see.

My leg is feeling good. Deceptively good. As expected, I'm walking pretty much without a limp today, and there's been a couple of times that I've jumped up out of my seat quickly or sped up my pace while walking only to be reminded that my hamstring is in fact not 100% recovered and I need to slow down. Slow your roll, shaddow! You're not quite ready to run yet! :nono:

Yesterday was a little off for me cuz I spent the entire morning/afternoon lying in bed with my lady friend who I ended up hooking up with Saturday and going back to her place. Before I knew it it was 3pm and we were still in bed. D'oh! So uhhhh... I guess that was my fasted cardio for the week.

Sunday is my cooking day, so I rushed home to get things ready. I ate a couple granola bars on my way to the store cuz I was dying. Got to the store and first thing's first, I picked up a rotisserie chicken cuz I needed to get in some protein. That was gone in about 1 minute flat. (LOL. The lady at the checkout thought I was crazy when she scanned a container of skin and bones. Yeah, I ate the whole damn thing while shopping!) 14# of chicken, a 1.5# steak, 1.5# of shrimp, 4# 93% lean ground beef, whole wheat pasta, potatoes to make homemade fries, beans, all kinds of veggies and fruits, and a ton of other $hit I can't remember. I ended up spending $180 on groceries... WTF? Good stuff though.

So I spent the evening marinating, grilling and eating. I ate a salad, a can of kidney beans, one chicken breast, the whole steak, all the shrimp, a potato that I cut up and cooked on the grill in aluminum foil (homemade fries!), and 2 cups of pasta. Mmmm...

I weighed myself this morning (purged), and I came in at 180.4. Yikes!!! I'm gonna step it up this week, cuz I am not trying to dip back into the 170's. I'm supposed to be bulking. This is not cool.

I've been putting back food today, and I was just about to make myself a tuna sandwich when I was informed that there was tons of beef lasagna in the staff lounge, so needless to say I've got about two pounds of lasagna and a salad waiting for me... :D

Still waiting another 15 minutes or so for this Anabolic Pump to get in my system, and then it's FOOD TIME!!! :woohoo:

I'll be back to post my updated routine for this week.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Oh ****. How could I forget. With how my leg feeling much better at the moment, and after looking at the calendar, I have decided that I am going to begin my stack on SUNDAY. Since I was planning on a 40-day run, that would make my last day October 30, and since I am planning to abstain from alcohol completely while on my stack, this will allow me to enjoy myself on Halloween night. :)

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
all that sounds delicious!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh ****. How could I forget. With how my leg feeling much better at the moment, and after looking at the calendar, I have decided that I am going to begin my stack on SUNDAY. Since I was planning on a 40-day run, that would make my last day October 30, and since I am planning to abstain from alcohol completely while on my stack, this will allow me to enjoy myself on Halloween night. :)
You might have already mentioned this, but what are you running?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post #1: Anabolic Edge (sponsored), Activate Xtreme, Divanex & IGF-2. :dance:
Wow, sweet stack.

I think my "Rehab Stack" was the most compound stack I've used to date, which is kind of ironic. It worked great though.

Glad you're coming along, you're sounding better and better.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Wow, sweet stack.

I think my "Rehab Stack" was the most compound stack I've used to date, which is kind of ironic. It worked great though.

Glad you're coming along, you're sounding better and better.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it! :dance:

Thanks, bro! I'm definitely feeling better! Not quite there yet, but much, much better!

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Nice Bro, glad to hear ya making progress w/that hami!!

Cant wait for ya to start that sweet stack!!!...Very Interested!!

You tha man Shaddow!!!!

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so I got to the gym around 9:30 last night, still unsure of what I was going to do routine-wise. Stretched out a bit and finally decided I'd split my routine up over 3 days (M, W, F). I figured chest Monday, shoulders Wednesday, and back Friday, throwing in some minor bi/tri work in each workout, and ending each workout with some hamstring rehab.

I was debating whether I'd go for high volume or heavy weights, and in the end decided I just plain like lifting heavy. :aargh:

Dumbbells!

Incline bench press
30 x 20
70 x 12
80 x 10
80 x 8 (I would've gone up, but 80# felt HEAVY.)

Flat bench press
70 x 12
80 x 10
90 x 6

My bench press is off about 10# from where I was at (I was incline pressing 90 x 6 & flat pressing 100 x 7 on my last working set before my injury), so I guess I'm not TOO bad off. I think my strength will come back in the next 2 weeks or so (I hope).

Incline dumbbell flies
45 x 12
55 x 10
65 x 8

Pec deck
190 x 12
205 x 10
220 x 7

Next I decided to hit biceps. I like chest & biceps as opposed to chest & triceps, so that's where I was originally going, but after a couple sets I decided to throw in some triceps and do a little arm work every workout this week.

Dumbbell curls
20 x 20
40 x 12
45 x 7

Ouch. My right elbow started hurting a little here, so I decided to that was heavy enough for now and cut my last set short.

Reverse-grip barbell curls
60 x 12
70 x 10

Pain. Again. Dammit. Lemme go do some cables instead. Hey, why don't I superset in some triceps while I'm at it!

Cable curls supersetted with rope triceps extensions
120 x 12 / 120 x 15
140 x 10 / 140 x 12
150 (stack) x 8 / 150 x 12

After this I went and did some seated leg curls again for my hammy. I've been feeling a lot better the past few days, so I decided to step up the weight a little. (Oh, BTW, I realized that the weight increments on the machine are 20# and not 10#, meaning the small weights are 5#, not 2.5#. So last week I got up to 25# [10, 15, 20, 25], not 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5.)

Seated leg curls
30 x 11 (Too heavy!)
25 x 12
20 x 20
20 x 20
20 x 20

And, once again, I got kicked out of the gym cuz it was closing time. D'oh! I would've liked to have hit up the treadmill and done a little walking/backwards walking, but I ran out of time. I'm gonna plan to get to the gym a little earlier on Wednesday so I can get more work done.

All in all, I felt a bit stronger today. I am still a little weak in comparison, and the weights feel a lot heavier that they used to, but I am definitely making progress. I don't feel quite as limited with what I can do as I did last week. One thing that will be interesting is overhead presses on Wednesday. I really wanna try this, but I feel like it will be a struggle with my hamstring since this movement utilizes so many stabilizers. Either way, it should be a good exercise for me if I can do it, so I think I'll try to start out with a few sets of these.

Ummm... I think that's all for now. But I feel like I'm missing something? LOL. I'll be back if I think of anything.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like your plan here. One thing tho - Ive noticed when I put at least 4 days in between shoulders and chest, Im stronger than when I do less. What about doing Chest Monday, Back Wednesday, Shoulders Friday? Just a suggestion. Obviously you know what youre doing. If this is the way youve been doing it, then by all means keep doing what you are doing.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I like your plan here. One thing tho - Ive noticed when I put at least 4 days in between shoulders and chest, Im stronger than when I do less. What about doing Chest Monday, Back Wednesday, Shoulders Friday? Just a suggestion. Obviously you know what youre doing. If this is the way youve been doing it, then by all means keep doing what you are doing.
Actually, historically, when I've been on more of a split like this, it's been chest/bis, legs/abs, off, back/tris, shoulders/abs. So we probably think alike. Problem is I was planning on starting up a different routine on Monday, and that routine starts out with legs/shoulders/arms, which would be pretty tough after doing shoulders/arms on Friday...

However, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should stick with a split like the one I'm on now or one like I used to do... Dammit, now I'm confused. :think: Thanks a lot, metroba! :frustrate

:D

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha you know your body best bro. Im sure youll figure it out

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout brotha!!!

Damn bro you gotta get to the gym earlier so they stop kicking ya out...lol

Anyway, progess is looking great, keep it up....looking forward to the stack ya got coming up...

Nice work Bro!