Are my cals too low? - AnabolicMinds.com

Are my cals too low?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Are my cals too low?

Once again, I've run into a recurring problem for me when I cut for an extended amount of time...my weight/fat loss has stagnated. This seems to happen to me just about every time I cut...I'll lose 2-3 pounds per week regularly for the first 6-8 weeks, and then hit the wall and go a month only losing another pound or two. I'm reconfiguring my diet and I think my cals might be too low, so I wanted to get some opinions.

I am 6'1, 32 y/o, currently 216 pounds. I don't know what I would classify my body type as, but I can tell you I'm the type of guy that can get fairly defined and still hold fat around my lovehandles and bellybutton area. 10 weeks ago, I was 235 pounds so I made some good progress, but my problem is I've lost only about a pound over the last 3 weeks, so I'm concerned about my diet.

Exercise is regular and abundant. I run 3-4 times a week for about 45 minutes, and train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at least twice and sometimes 3 times a week for 2 hours each class. If I can't run or I miss class, then I'll jump on an elliptical machine or do some interval training on a treadmill. Most of my cardio, with the exception of BJJ, is fasted AM cardio. I also lift weights (compound movements) 3 times a week for about an hour. I'm also fairly active outside of that: walking the dogs, outdoors activities etc.

Today I calculated my BMR as 2120, and using the Harris Benedict formula, calculated my maintenance cals at 3657. I would assume that it would be recommended to keep my cals between 2700 and 3200 or so for a cutting diet. I calculated my current calorie intake and it's about 2400 or so. It has been as low as 2200, but not currently.

Is 2400 calories totally shutting my metabolism down? I haven't lost any size on my chest, arms, or thighs (I keep regular measurements in addition to logging my weight), but it seems like fatloss has come to a standstill. I'm also pretty lethargic and generally tired all the time. I don't really supplement with much, although I did just pick up some Hyperdrive 3.0.

Should I bump up my cals, and if so, by how much? TIA

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

I think your calories may be fine but that varies person to person...what is your bf%? You may need to do some calorie and/or carb cycling just to keep your body on its toes...what does your diet currently look like?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    I think your calories may be fine but that varies person to person...what is your bf%? You may need to do some calorie and/or carb cycling just to keep your body on its toes...what does your diet currently look like?
    I would be guessing on my BF%...probably 15-18%? My diet is pretty bland and boring, but consists mainly of chicken and oats or sweet potatoes. I get most of my fat from flax. I eat 6 times a day, spaced evenly. My first 4 meals of the day contain all my carbs, and the last two are protein and green veggies or pro/fat. I cheat on Saturdays, but try not to go crazy.

What type of carb cycling would you recommend?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

You could try a modified version of JGUNS Super Cutter (you'll have to google, I don't have a link handy)...he originally designed the program for people who are on gear but I've put a few natty's on it and it worked well.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

also for a frame of reference...I'm cutting right now and I eat 1700 to 1800 cals a day...low carb, high good fats, high protein...I'm 202# at 18%...so your cals are probably pretty close to being spot on...
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

How low are you going on your carbs? I'll check out the cutter you mentioned.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

I average 40 - 60 grams of carbs per day...with refeeds on saturday. Almost all of those carbs are post workout.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

double post...
  9. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

keep in mind that going below 16% or so is when it gets hard anything above that is "excessive" fat, but that range is where the body considers normal. So its getting lower thats hard. taking a break, and raising cals for 2-4 weeks and just hitting 100-200 above maintenance, then going back to cutting might help
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

Similar Forum Threads

1. how many cals a day for me
    By carbonblu in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 01:19 AM
  2. not enough cals
    By drummaboyzl in forum Bulking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
  3. Cutting: not enough cals?
    By Quil in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10