Are my cals too low?

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Once again, I've run into a recurring problem for me when I cut for an extended amount of time...my weight/fat loss has stagnated. This seems to happen to me just about every time I cut...I'll lose 2-3 pounds per week regularly for the first 6-8 weeks, and then hit the wall and go a month only losing another pound or two. I'm reconfiguring my diet and I think my cals might be too low, so I wanted to get some opinions.

I am 6'1, 32 y/o, currently 216 pounds. I don't know what I would classify my body type as, but I can tell you I'm the type of guy that can get fairly defined and still hold fat around my lovehandles and bellybutton area. 10 weeks ago, I was 235 pounds so I made some good progress, but my problem is I've lost only about a pound over the last 3 weeks, so I'm concerned about my diet.

Exercise is regular and abundant. I run 3-4 times a week for about 45 minutes, and train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at least twice and sometimes 3 times a week for 2 hours each class. If I can't run or I miss class, then I'll jump on an elliptical machine or do some interval training on a treadmill. Most of my cardio, with the exception of BJJ, is fasted AM cardio. I also lift weights (compound movements) 3 times a week for about an hour. I'm also fairly active outside of that: walking the dogs, outdoors activities etc.

Today I calculated my BMR as 2120, and using the Harris Benedict formula, calculated my maintenance cals at 3657. I would assume that it would be recommended to keep my cals between 2700 and 3200 or so for a cutting diet. I calculated my current calorie intake and it's about 2400 or so. It has been as low as 2200, but not currently.

Is 2400 calories totally shutting my metabolism down? I haven't lost any size on my chest, arms, or thighs (I keep regular measurements in addition to logging my weight), but it seems like fatloss has come to a standstill. I'm also pretty lethargic and generally tired all the time. I don't really supplement with much, although I did just pick up some Hyperdrive 3.0.

Should I bump up my cals, and if so, by how much? TIA

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I think your calories may be fine but that varies person to person...what is your bf%? You may need to do some calorie and/or carb cycling just to keep your body on its toes...what does your diet currently look like?

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
I think your calories may be fine but that varies person to person...what is your bf%? You may need to do some calorie and/or carb cycling just to keep your body on its toes...what does your diet currently look like?
I would be guessing on my BF%...probably 15-18%? My diet is pretty bland and boring, but consists mainly of chicken and oats or sweet potatoes. I get most of my fat from flax. I eat 6 times a day, spaced evenly. My first 4 meals of the day contain all my carbs, and the last two are protein and green veggies or pro/fat. I cheat on Saturdays, but try not to go crazy.

What type of carb cycling would you recommend?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
You could try a modified version of JGUNS Super Cutter (you'll have to google, I don't have a link handy)...he originally designed the program for people who are on gear but I've put a few natty's on it and it worked well.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
also for a frame of reference...I'm cutting right now and I eat 1700 to 1800 cals a day...low carb, high good fats, high protein...I'm 202# at 18%...so your cals are probably pretty close to being spot on...

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
How low are you going on your carbs? I'll check out the cutter you mentioned.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I average 40 - 60 grams of carbs per day...with refeeds on saturday. Almost all of those carbs are post workout.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
keep in mind that going below 16% or so is when it gets hard :) anything above that is "excessive" fat, but that range is where the body considers normal. So its getting lower thats hard. taking a break, and raising cals for 2-4 weeks and just hitting 100-200 above maintenance, then going back to cutting might help