Swimming for fat loss

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
I know that swimming is great for cardio and overall conditioning however I heard that for fat loss its not good due to the cool water doesnt heat the body up enough to burn fat. IS this true???

Sxhawnn

Awards
hopefully not, I've been swimming as my main method of cardio trying to lose weight

Sxhawnn

Awards
i've dropped 11 pounds in 9 days so far.

But i honest don't know if its from me swimming or doing everything else.

I've basically just got back into working out. Just graduated from college, used to be in great shape in high school, gained 40 pounds, just started a push/pull/angle routine I found in a magazine.

I swim every morning for 30 minutes on workout days.
So here's a brief breakdown of what a I do.

Day 1
Swim first thing in the morning (30 minutes)
Weight training afternoon (Push day)

Day 2
Weight session (pull day)

Day 3
Swim first thing in the morning (60 minutes)

Day 4
Weight session afternoon (angle day)

Day 5

Day 6
Swim first thing in the morning (45 minutes)
Weight training (details day: calfs,abs, forearms)

Day 7

Free day where i get two fat meals but I still try to swim for 30 minutes.

All i eat is oatmeal, whey, eggs, chicken breast, broccoli, flamebroiler on occassion with the brown rice, yams. No supplements yet but I just ordered leviathan reloaded.

So farm i'm down 11 pounds in 9 days. I don't know how much of it is fat and how much of it is from swimming, but it seems to work so far.

Oh yea btw, I weighed myself same time, same scale. always in the mornings cause i'm lighter and it makes me feel better haha

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
i've dropped 11 pounds in 9 days so far.

But i honest don't know if its from me swimming or doing everything else.

I've basically just got back into working out. Just graduated from college, used to be in great shape in high school, gained 40 pounds, just started a push/pull/angle routine I found in a magazine.

I swim every morning for 30 minutes on workout days.
So here's a brief breakdown of what a I do.

Day 1
Weight training afternoon (Push day)

Day 2
Weight session (pull day)

Day 3
Swim first thing in the morning (60 minutes)

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6
Swim first thing in the morning (45 minutes)
Weight training (details day: calfs,abs, forearms)

Day 7

Free day where i get two fat meals but I still try to swim for 30 minutes.

All i eat is oatmeal, whey, eggs, chicken breast, broccoli, flamebroiler on occassion with the brown rice, yams. No supplements yet but I just ordered leviathan reloaded.

So farm i'm down 11 pounds in 9 days. I don't know how much of it is fat and how much of it is from swimming, but it seems to work so far.

Oh yea btw, I weighed myself same time, same scale. always in the mornings cause i'm lighter and it makes me feel better haha
GOOD WORK, keep it up

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
Swimming is great exercise. However, it tends to be tougher to lose fat as compared to running, or other cardio sources. This is due to body position. Your heart and lungs don't have to work as hard when the body is in a horizontal position due to the lack of gravity working against the circ system. Hence, when you lie down your blood preasure seems to drop a few notches. When running or some other type of cardio when you are up-right, your body's circ system has to work against gravity and thus works harder. Not that swimming is a bad exercise for losing weigh, you just have to work harder to get your heart rate up to a suitable position as compared to an exercise when the body is up right. In regards to the comment on the water temp, this is a plus. The water has a far lower temp than the body so the body has to work harder to maintian its temp. Water tends to suck body temp down quite a bit faster than air due to its density and heat retaining properties. So factoring in both of these is just food fopr thought. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Sxhawnn

Awards
^^ lol sounds like it makes sense to me. I guess it just comes down to what works for you. At 240ish running, is the biggest pain in the ass for me (I also f'ed up my knee on a 575 squat attempt in high school). Even if running does get the pounds off faster, I know that it is highly unlikely that I will stick to running 6-7 days a week.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Swimming is great for all-over conditioning and stretching. If you want to burn fat effectively take a HIIT approach.

Sprints followed by medium pace as 'active rest'.

Start with 50m sprint, followed by 200m medium-slow continuous for 45 minutes. Then over the weeks build the sprints up to 100m, reducing the med/slow to 100m

And learn butterfly stroke effectively - it's far more intensive than just freestyle.

Last edited:

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
Swimming is great for all-over conditioning and stretching. If you want to burn fat effectively take a HIIT approach.

Sprints followed by medium pace as 'active rest'.

Start with 50m sprint, followed by 200m medium-slow continuous for 45 minutes. Then over the weeks build the sprints up to 100m, reducing the med/slow to 100m

And learn butterfly stroke effectively - it's far more intensive than just freestyle.

So are you stating the swimming doesnt help with fat loss??????????

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
swimming

Hey bro I was a swimmer in highschool and I can tell u this you can lose weight swimming if you do a lot of sprints with the freestyle stroke, butterfly will work the hell out of ur abbs and shoulders. Also make sure you warm up with like 10 to 20 laps to get ur muscles feelin good. If you do sprints you can lose a grip of weight dawg. Also you should get some hyperdrive 3.0 plus from alri and incororate that it will help u lose even more weight. I lost 34 pounds in 2 and a half months on that **** with doing swimming also

dommer

Banned
Awards
^^ lol sounds like it makes sense to me. I guess it just comes down to what works for you. At 240ish running, is the biggest pain in the ass for me (I also f'ed up my knee on a 575 squat attempt in high school). Even if running does get the pounds off faster, I know that it is highly unlikely that I will stick to running 6-7 days a week.
i cant run for **** on a treadmill try running on a elliptical its much easier on the knees i have a bad knee also and shin splints to boot running on the elliptical gives me a great work out and it doesnt aggravate either condition

Gmm004

Gmm004

Awards
Swimming is great exercise. However, it tends to be tougher to lose fat as compared to running, or other cardio sources. This is due to body position. Your heart and lungs don't have to work as hard when the body is in a horizontal position due to the lack of gravity working against the circ system. Hence, when you lie down your blood preasure seems to drop a few notches. When running or some other type of cardio when you are up-right, your body's circ system has to work against gravity and thus works harder. Not that swimming is a bad exercise for losing weigh, you just have to work harder to get your heart rate up to a suitable position as compared to an exercise when the body is up right. In regards to the comment on the water temp, this is a plus. The water has a far lower temp than the body so the body has to work harder to maintian its temp. Water tends to suck body temp down quite a bit faster than air due to its density and heat retaining properties. So factoring in both of these is just food fopr thought. Good luck!:thumbsup:
I dont know about the whole "Your heart and lungs don't have to work as hard when the body is in a horizontal position due to the lack of gravity working against the circ system" this may be true however when running heart is only having to pump the most blood to the lower half of your body, making it work less compared to the fact that when you are swimming your heart is having to pump blood to all parts from your hands to your feet in order to keep up with the demands of all the muscles being used to propel yourself through the water. Just a thought thoe...

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know that swimming is great for cardio and overall conditioning however I heard that for fat loss its not good due to the cool water doesnt heat the body up enough to burn fat. IS this true???
Swimming is awesome cardio. Low impact but high impact on your fat loss. In terms of thermogenics your body has a harder time trying to heat you up than to cool you off. Cold is preferred for me due to that fact

Blaine123

Awards
Diving is great exercise, However, it tends to be difficult to lose fat as in comparison to running, or other aerobic resources, This is due to body system place, Your body system don't have to work as hard when one's human is in a horizontally place due to the lack of severity working against the circ system....

MarkHerry

Awards
Swimming is a good form of cardio. This is the exercise in which our whole body works so it is good to do swimming for fat loss. I am also a swimmer so i suggest everyone to do swimming.