For Optimal Fat Loss - HITT vs Low Intensity Cardio

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Can body weight training be followed with HIIT in the same workout session, same day (not doing one in the morning and one later in the day)?

    Initially, I was looking to do either HIIT or body weight training on a specific day, but wondering if the can be combined together?

    Monday - Full Body Weight Training

    Tuesday - HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 9 More Times (10 Minutes Total)

    Wednesday - Full Body Weight Training

    Thursday - HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 9 More Times (10 Minutes Total)

    Friday
    - Full Body Weight Training

    Saturday and Sunday - Rest (maybe a HIIT session on Saturday)


  2. Quote Originally Posted by fatburner2007 View Post
    Can body weight training be followed with HIIT in the same workout session, same day (not doing one in the morning and one later in the day)?

    Initially, I was looking to do either HIIT or body weight training on a specific day, but wondering if the can be combined together?

    Monday - Full Body Weight Training

    Tuesday - HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 9 More Times (10 Minutes Total)

    Wednesday - Full Body Weight Training

    Thursday - HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 9 More Times (10 Minutes Total)

    Friday
    - Full Body Weight Training

    Saturday and Sunday - Rest (maybe a HIIT session on Saturday)

    Thats similar to what I had planned to start 2day. Im am pretty sick so I wont start until wed. Here's what I was going to do

    Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Full Body Routine, 30min Low-Intensity PWO

    Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday:Ab routine followed by 12-15min HIIT Tredmill cardio, walk 1min @ 3.0 then 4%incline @ 9.5speed for 1 min.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  3. How are you doing your Full Body Routine?

    What is PWO?


    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Thats similar to what I had planned to start 2day. Im am pretty sick so I wont start until wed. Here's what I was going to do

    Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Full Body Routine, 30min Low-Intensity PWO

    Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday:Ab routine followed by 12-15min HIIT Tredmill cardio, walk 1min @ 3.0 then 4%incline @ 9.5speed for 1 min.
    •   
       

  4. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Post Work Out. HIIT after a workout would be really hard, and not as beneficial I think. 20 minutes on a bike or elliptical at 120s heart rate steady would be ok. all I do on HIIT days is abs first, which is more a warmup
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  5. Thank you Easy

    Im not real sure what my routine is going to look like. I better figure it out because it starts 2maro
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  6. OH

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Post Work Out. HIIT after a workout would be really hard, and not as beneficial I think. 20 minutes on a bike or elliptical at 120s heart rate steady would be ok. all I do on HIIT days is abs first, which is more a warmup

  7. Your running man Avi trips me out, but very appropriate
    NSCA - CSCS

  8. Yeah, reminds me of the Bionic Man

    Although since my surgery, it is kind of my new focus of cardio, HIIT, running, etc and less so on weights.


    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Your running man Avi trips me out, but very appropriate

  9. Would it be overkill of doing light intensity cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then HIIT later in the day around 5pm?

  10. So for about a week now I have been trying HIIT around 5pm and on other days doing cardio with HR intensity around 140-150 on an empty stomach.

    Which is more effective though for fat loss? I know we have already discussed HIIT is most effective, but you wouldn't want to do HIIT on an empty stomach so doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for about 40 mins at a HR of 140-150 or save it for later in the day to do HIIT around 5pm for about 20 mins?
  11. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    my feeling is that HIIT raises your metabolism more for longer afterwards, so its better earlier. mostly doing either matters, and patience
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  12. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    my feeling is that HIIT raises your metabolism more for longer afterwards, so its better earlier. mostly doing either matters, and patience

    I've heard that doing it in the evening can be good because this is when metabolism and insulin sensitivity generally start to lower, so doing the HIIT would jack both up when they are normally lowering.

    But I agree, just doing it consistently and damn near killing yourself with the workout is what's important for results.
  13. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    yeah, what you said could be true too. Like the whole "what sort of protein is best when" and "should I eat protein right before bed" I think the difference here is in the <5% in terms of efficiency. so not worth a ton of fuss over.

    Plus too, i'd guess that part of it depends on your overall cardiovascular fitness level anyhow
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  14. But doing HIIT on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    my feeling is that HIIT raises your metabolism more for longer afterwards, so its better earlier. mostly doing either matters, and patience
  15. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    thats the way I do it. just caps and BCAAs. hit the gym around 6:45, do abs, then HIIT for 30 min
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  16. A huge piece of the puzzle that is missing so far in this thread is the hormonal response to different types of exercise.

    In addition to the hormonal response you have the upregulation of transcription for the GLUT (glucose transport factors), which HIIT is better at.

    In my experience low intensity cardio has the benefit of not pushing me into overtraining. HIIT should be treated like a weight lifting session to maximize the aforementioned processes above, and at least for me should be at least 8 hours away from a lifting session. Low intensity can be done in conjunction with lifting.

    Do both, but at the right times and for the right reasons.

  17. Yeah...I agree on the overtraining part..think that's what happened to me....did 5 straight days of HIIT in the afternoon and cardio with weights in the evening and i actually lost some 1/8 inch in arm muscle mass..a great deal in just 1 week IMO..

  18. Good point! So far I have been doing a combination of both, not focusing more on one than the other.


    Quote Originally Posted by diminuendo View Post
    A huge piece of the puzzle that is missing so far in this thread is the hormonal response to different types of exercise.

    In addition to the hormonal response you have the upregulation of transcription for the GLUT (glucose transport factors), which HIIT is better at.

    In my experience low intensity cardio has the benefit of not pushing me into overtraining. HIIT should be treated like a weight lifting session to maximize the aforementioned processes above, and at least for me should be at least 8 hours away from a lifting session. Low intensity can be done in conjunction with lifting.

    Do both, but at the right times and for the right reasons.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Sprinting vs Low Intensity Cardio
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
  2. fat burning works better at low intensity cardio? why?
    By iwinulose2980 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 05:50 PM
  3. Cardio For Maximum Fat Loss
    By TheChosen1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 02:54 AM
  4. What's best for rapid fat loss? Need info fast
    By Tbird006 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Log in
Log in