Morbidly Obese: please help

cabrar

Awards
Hi,
I have been fat all my life. I am serious to change my body for good and this time I wont messup as my doctor said I will die if I don`t change my lifestyle. I did make a change. I lost 8 pounds in last 6 weeks. I have cut down on curbs and intoduced lots of low Glycemix Vegetables. I go to Gym 3 times a week and do cardio for 45 mnts(HIIT) and 2 mnts weights. I am 5ft 7 and 250lbs now. Please help. I know most of you guys have lots of experience and please help me out any advise . Also let me know if LIPO 6x is any good. I have been taking 2 pills a day and seems like it helps to workout. At present my waist size is 40 inch(yukk) doctor said by summer Ineed to be in 32 inch.
God bless ya all.
Alex

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
dude im 5"7' 245, just 5lbs from ya.

i dont mean to sound gay, but im curious, what is your body type? i wear 38-40 waist too btw.

im starting this cut stack on my sig this weekend, it has done positive reviews from people. of course changing your diet and exercise should come first.

As far as Lipo6x, i was using Lipo6 and looks like i lost about 13lbs in 90days and gained almost the same amount of lean muscle while i was weight training.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
Here is some advice from a guy that went from 262 to 190-200 lbs.

1) Take note of how many calories you are eating. Know how many calories are in EVERYTHING you eat. It will help train you to which foods are unnecessarily high in calories.

2) Try to make none of your meals based off of carbs. Carbs just do not satisfy you for a long time. You will be hungry again before too long if your meal was mostly carbs. Make sure that if you eat carbs like pasta, rice, bread, it is no more than 40-50% of your meal calories.

Also: Get some crystal light. That seems to satisfy me far more than water.

cabrar

Awards
Thanks Ich1ban for your advise.
Body type: heavy(pear shaped) and since I am only 5 feet 7 I look kinda round.

cabrar

Awards
yes, Thats what I have started. I have a notepad like my grandpa now where I literally note every food that I put in my mouth.Its hard but I am changing my life slowly. Plus I have started Green tea too along with a gallon water a day

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
great job on being motivated to change. Set up a diet plan on what you will eat every day. Don't change that up. I went from 245-200 just by exercising regularly and eating under maintenance. When I started out, I did very low carb and that seemed to work. Just work your way up. The PR's you hit will keep you motivated. Focus on cardio and try to do it 4 times a week.

you might want to try fitday.com , that way you can enter in all the foods you eat and it'll spit out your macros for the day for you, so you want have to keep reading and writing and adding up by hand.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
waist, not weight.

Hi,
At present my waist size is 40 inch(yukk) doctor said by summer Ineed to be in 32 inch.
God bless ya all.
Alex
It is more waist than weight that contribute to health risks. So watch your pants size more than your scale numbers. But 32 inches is still pretty small for a guy, so dont be daunted by your doctors demands. The world wont end if you arent 32 inches by June. Just do what you can to get started on it.

Some of the things that could be contributing to inflammation can be easily fixed and you'll see a noticeable change quick. Get the book "YOU On a Diet" either hardcover or the CD's. I have the CD's and love them! The two guys that are the authors present it in a real easy to understand format that isnt a "diet" but mainly some things you can add to help your body condition. The CD's are hilarious because they use their voice inflexions to get points across.

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
hey alex lets have a biggest loser game xD we weight in every end of the month. since u and me and pretty much the same height/weight with simmilar goals maybe that might work out. ^_^
that would help me with motivation, maybe for you as well :D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will suggest this book, Picture Perfect weight loss. Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss I didn't actually use it myself, but learned the same lessons the harder way myself. It is invaluable for you to start on the road to "eating correctly for life". Heres an example

There is plenty more in the book. Below is a pic of me, just a couple days over 1 year apart. It takes time, and takes changing your life. Make adding muscle a piece of the process, it makes getting slimmer much easier :)

MGH1982

Awards
I am 6' 215lbs and have a 38" waist... I am not skinny by any means but i am not fat either and I am a mesomorph i have a little gut but nothing horrible i couldnt lose by summer w/ some running. I am not sure the whole waist thing is proper because some people just have a natural wide waist and build in general... i just go by how much energy u have... because the more fat i loss the more energy i tend to have, so if u see yourself having more energy u know u r doing the right thing.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Alex. At the start of this year I was 187lb's, recently I weighed myself & was a very, very lean 136lb's! At 164 cm's tall, I was a big guy!

First off, I want to congratulate you in taking your first steps towards a better lifestyle, a better you. That hot chick from the biggest loser, jillian Michaels wrote a book 'losing to win', i think that's the title. In it she discusses growing into your better physique is about 3 S's, self science & sweat. I'd like to encourage you to flick thru the book, as well as the ones discussed here.

To be honest, healthy living is 80% diet, 10% diet & 5% genetics, 5% rest & 110% the right attitude. Ya gotta want it, like REALLY want it.

Good work on keeping a food journal. As well as logging what you eat & when, make a note on why your eating. If, for example you have a 6inch turkey subway sandwhich because you were a bit bored & you had to fill in time, that shows that your an emotional eater. However if you had that sandwhich because you really were hungry & you needed something healthy to eat, then it shows that you ate for the right reason. see my point?

Good luck with smashin' your 2008 goals!

in terms of 'weight or waist', don't get tooo caught up in all that stuff. I find, the best way to tell how your going, is what the mirror says. Preferably a mirror you don't look into very often, in a well lit area. That'll tell you how your going. If you think you can or should lose more, go for it! As Sylvester Stallone says in his book 'Sly Moves', "Don't focus on weight, focus on life"

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I will suggest this book, Picture Perfect weight loss. Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss I didn't actually use it myself, but learned the same lessons the harder way myself. It is invaluable for you to start on the road to "eating correctly for life". Heres an example

There is plenty more in the book. Below is a pic of me, just a couple days over 1 year apart. It takes time, and takes changing your life. Make adding muscle a piece of the process, it makes getting slimmer much easier :)

easy you look like a whole new person bro. Check out those forearms!!

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
easy, you lost heaps in your face too! How fortunate!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still more to go. I seem really hard stalled at 195... huge difference in how I feel too tho. I'm now at 40 in better shape than any time since I was 23 or so, which is kinda sad. I wish I would have taken more opportunity when I was younger (and had the natural testosterone in my bloodstream) to do this. If I can drop another 10-15lbs, I think i'd be set.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good luck with your cut man, glad to know ich1ban and I aren't the only two people actually cutting in winter.

Words of encouragement I can think of would be to set several smaller goals like x lbs a week or lower your bf% to a certain point in so many months. Just anything to make going from a 40 to a 32 seem less daunting to your brain. Sometimes the toughest battle is the one between your ears, but I'm sure there are plently of people on here that are rooting for you.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Waist circumference is highly individual and some do tend to have higher natural waist's, but in clinical terms risk factors are associated with 40in waist in men, and 35in waist in women. Keep in mind that this is the average individual and not an active, avid weight trainer/athelete.

That being said, you've gotten some sound advice from the other guys on this thread. The only other thing I would tell you to do is determine a goal weight that you want to get at multiply that weight by 12 to get a rough estimate on your daily maintence calories and shoot for that amount of calories thru out the day every day.

Ex.

Say your aiming for 220 as a short term goal.

220X12= 2640kcal/day

Try to get the calories thru a grazing type fashion i.e. 5-6 smaller meals per day(look at it like you would look at animal eating behaviors, a horse and deer graze, and their much leaner then a gorginig animal such as a bear)

Sooooo, 2640kcal/6meals = 440kcal at each meal.

How you get those amounts are highly selective of the individual. Some like a low carb approach, others preferr a more balanced approach. I'm a firm believer in the belief that a calorie is a calorie, so as long as your getting the recommended amounts YOU WILL LOOSE WEIGHT!!!

Hope I've helped you out a little my friend. The other guys and I are here to answer any questions you mayhave(don't be afraid to ask), and help you in throughout this process in anyway we can.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
prld2gr8ns, that's quite a nifty way on working out your ideal weight. Can it work the other way, in terms of moving FORWARD to an ideal weight?

Grazing throughout the day is really one of the keys to succes in terms of healthy eating. A dear is a lot leaner than a grizzly bear! Story...

Every morning, a dear wakes up & know that it has to run faster, much, much faster than the fastest lion, or it'll die. That same morning, a lion wakes up & knows that it has to run faster, much, much faster than the fastest dear. If it doesn't, it will starve to death. The morale of the story, is to eat a biiig breakfast to prepare for the daily challenges!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
prld2gr8ns, that's quite a nifty way on working out your ideal weight. Can it work the other way, in terms of moving FORWARD to an ideal weight?

Grazing throughout the day is really one of the keys to succes in terms of healthy eating. A dear is a lot leaner than a grizzly bear! Story...

Every morning, a dear wakes up & know that it has to run faster, much, much faster than the fastest lion, or it'll die. That same morning, a lion wakes up & knows that it has to run faster, much, much faster than the fastest dear. If it doesn't, it will starve to death. The morale of the story, is to eat a biiig breakfast to prepare for the daily challenges!
Yep, it can. Without going through all the calculations ala Harris-Bennidct(sp) equations and the such, a standard protocol for loosing, maintaining, and/or gaining weight is 10, 12, 15.

If you want to gain multiply weight by 15, if you want to loose multiply by 10 etc. The kcals come out roughly similiar to what you would get by punching in the numbers thru standard energy expenditure formulas.

I like the animal analogy as well. It's something I use often whenever I'm at work and people ask me why I eat so little so often. The explaination works like a charm.:D

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I just notice this, but Easy exactly how big is that dam muffin.lol

Nice results man. Great to see all that hard work paying off for your.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, thats your standard size large muffin, what sams club sells in the 12 pack. man are their lemon poppy seed ones good :D

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, thats your standard size large muffin, what sams club sells in the 12 pack. man are their lemon poppy seed ones good :D
I'm still trying to figure out how a fat free, sugar free muffin at 9oz can equal 720 calories though.:think:

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
perhaps some (or all) of the carbs in the muffin are made of an artificial sweetener, similar to what some companies use for their weight gainers...

But, meh...what do i know? what I know about glucose, you could prolly write it on a postage stamp lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and sugar free doesn't mean malitol free or any of the other sugar alchohols :)

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Just because I post this everywhere and has about 15years worth of condensed magazine reading in it:

1. Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

2. Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

3. Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

4. Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

5. Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

6. Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

7. Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc

Most importantly do you see the order of these things?

Exercises: Compound movements i.e. two arm two leg exercises.

1. Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

2. Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

3. Leg press

4. Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

5. Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.

This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, i was hunting around and these

http://www.unclewallys.com/smartportionmuffins.php

are 80 cal, 1.125 oz sugar free fat free muffins (little snack ones) so times 8 = 640. Only thing I can find :)
Ah, yes but those do have sugar(9-10gr) and a good hefty mixture of oats, milk, and wheat. A carb is a carb though, so yep those would add up(its amazing what the art of food compaction can do now-a-days). Mystery solved.:D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, with low water density, 9oz of non sugar carbs can be a lot of cals for sure.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Neonborn, how much emphasis do you put on 'core training'?

I tend to only train my abs, pre contest & offseason once a week, maybe once a fortnight, since my 'core' gets a good workout when I do stuff like deads, squats, bench pressing, bicep curls / hammers, heck, anything that involves hard work! But meh..thas juz me...

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I am currently doing the Beginner / Intermediate 5x5.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
For example, 5 sets of 5 crunches, 5 sets of 5 knee raises?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

It just does 4 sets of weighted sit ups though I am weak and new to this program. My lower back is really weak at the moment so I just adjust it to what my current max is.

This is my second week on this program. I started it then got sick. I am sure that if you are looking for good core workout programs there are others far more advanced that what I do or can suggest.

I am doing regular sit ups and on a decline bench currently.

My previous copy and paste post doesn't really have alot of input for core training as I think it's pretty basic such as crunches / weighted crunches, oblique stuff and back extensions.

Always work both sides of the equasion like quads / hams, bi's / tri's, abs / lower back etc etc for good balance and to bring all muscles up to par

cabrar

Awards
hey alex lets have a biggest loser game xD we weight in every end of the month. since u and me and pretty much the same height/weight with simmilar goals maybe that might work out. ^_^
that would help me with motivation, maybe for you as well :D
I am all up for it. Lets make 2008 a successful year my friend

cabrar

Awards
Alex. At the start of this year I was 187lb's, recently I weighed myself & was a very, very lean 136lb's! At 164 cm's tall, I was a big guy!

First off, I want to congratulate you in taking your first steps towards a better lifestyle, a better you. That hot chick from the biggest loser, jillian Michaels wrote a book 'losing to win', i think that's the title. In it she discusses growing into your better physique is about 3 S's, self science & sweat. I'd like to encourage you to flick thru the book, as well as the ones discussed here.

To be honest, healthy living is 80% diet, 10% diet & 5% genetics, 5% rest & 110% the right attitude. Ya gotta want it, like REALLY want it.

Good work on keeping a food journal. As well as logging what you eat & when, make a note on why your eating. If, for example you have a 6inch turkey subway sandwhich because you were a bit bored & you had to fill in time, that shows that your an emotional eater. However if you had that sandwhich because you really were hungry & you needed something healthy to eat, then it shows that you ate for the right reason. see my point?

Good luck with smashin' your 2008 goals!

in terms of 'weight or waist', don't get tooo caught up in all that stuff. I find, the best way to tell how your going, is what the mirror says. Preferably a mirror you don't look into very often, in a well lit area. That'll tell you how your going. If you think you can or should lose more, go for it! As Sylvester Stallone says in his book 'Sly Moves', "Don't focus on weight, focus on life"
Thank you Bro. I need inspiration from people like you who have done it. I agree with you about 80% diet, My wife recently threw away all the junk food from our pantry and filled it with healthy food.
I have a long way to go. God bless ya

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you Bro. I need inspiration from people like you who have done it. I agree with you about 80% diet, My wife recently threw away all the junk food from our pantry and filled it with healthy food.
I have a long way to go. God bless ya
Your mindset and your actions lead me to say, "your off to a good start.":thumbsup:

Just remember that in order to get what YOU want, you have to know what to give up to get it.

You can do it my friend.:)

Zguy52

Awards
way to go Cabrar! I want you to know it absolutely is possible we have almost the same story. Doc told me the same thing except I was 350lbs at 6'3" was wearing size 50 pants! I've been big my entire life I was 6" 202lbs in 7th grade. Last week I weighed in at 249.4 so I'm back under 100lbs fat loss an I've added about 20lbs of muscle over the last 2 years and wearing 38 size pants. This year is my final push to get the rest of the weigh off for good down to around 225.
The biggest thing for me is to think long term, you will have bad days, you will have bad weeks but do the best you can to minimize to down times and maximize the good time. As long as you are trending down things are good. I've been dieting for years it's a lifestyle change you can NEVER go back to how you ate before it's all mental so work on changing your expectations and attitude now for a long term change.

a few links

www.fitday.com - track food intake

www.foodfacts.com - can added food info to your personal fitday food list

www.hypertrophyspecific.com - easy simple scientific whole body workout program the will minimize muscle lost during diet.

I agree with adding protein to your diet but Whey protiens are quickly digested and can make you hungry look for whey/Casein blend (Micellular Casien) as the Casein forms into a "glob" when hits your stomach acid and slowly digests 6-8 hours.

Weightlifting and HIIT are best for weghloss so keep it up!

Zguy

cabrar

Awards
way to go Cabrar! I want you to know it absolutely is possible we have almost the same story. Doc told me the same thing except I was 350lbs at 6'3" was wearing size 50 pants! I've been big my entire life I was 6" 202lbs in 7th grade. Last week I weighed in at 249.4 so I'm back under 100lbs fat loss an I've added about 20lbs of muscle over the last 2 years and wearing 38 size pants. This year is my final push to get the rest of the weigh off for good down to around 225.
The biggest thing for me is to think long term, you will have bad days, you will have bad weeks but do the best you can to minimize to down times and maximize the good time. As long as you are trending down things are good. I've been dieting for years it's a lifestyle change you can NEVER go back to how you ate before it's all mental so work on changing your expectations and attitude now for a long term change.

a few links

www.fitday.com - track food intake

www.foodfacts.com - can added food info to your personal fitday food list

www.hypertrophyspecific.com - easy simple scientific whole body workout program the will minimize muscle lost during diet.

I agree with adding protein to your diet but Whey protiens are quickly digested and can make you hungry look for whey/Casein blend (Micellular Casien) as the Casein forms into a "glob" when hits your stomach acid and slowly digests 6-8 hours.

Weightlifting and HIIT are best for weghloss so keep it up!

Zguy
Thanks zguy. This year we will make it happen. Please keep in touch so that we can see the progress....motivation is a huge thing brother. I feel great as I have comeout of the habit of being a emotional eater. HIIT rules...I have more energy now.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Keep pictures as you hit goals as this can be highly motivating for yourself / others!