The Holy Grail?

Nelson

I found this at massuniversity - http://www.massuniversity.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1240
It looks interesting & I`m looking at giving it a try for a few months to aid in my cutting.
The diet is by Universal & has been tweaked by The Answer at massuniversity.
It is for fat loss & muscle gain > The Holy Grail.

Here`s some basic info by The Answer:

Most important part of the article:

Total caloric intake equals 10 -- 15 calories/lb. of body wt. Men below 10% body fat and women below 15% body fat should figure on ingesting 14 ?E15 calories per pound of weight.

Focus on Active Carbohydrates. Active carbohydrates = total carbohydrate grams ?Egrams of fiber. Your active Carbohydrates should not exceed 25 grams per meal or 75 grams per day.

Protein Optimization. Ingest 25-50 grams of protein per meal. While protein is the best macro-nutrient to eat, there is some point where excess may exceed elimination capacity and some nitrogen may be converted to sugar and either burned for energy at the expense of stored body fat or simply stored as excess body fat.

Dietary Fats Can Burn Body fat Your diet must have a greater emphasis on Omega 3 and Mono Unsaturated fats such as flaxseed, safflower and olive oil. (These are found as well in Beverly Ultra Size). Place less emphasis on saturated fats, cream and beef.

Carbohydrate load every 3rd then 4th day. A high carbohydrate meal every fourth day refuels muscle and liver glycogen (storage form for glucose) stores, prevents any decline in metabolism, via thyroid-3 level suppression and facilitates muscular growth by increasing uptake of amino acids. This infrequent high carbohydrate meal should drive IGF insulin-like growth factors, optimizing the anabolic effect of insulin, while minimizing its lipogenic (fat-producing) effect.

Induce Thermogenesis
Tracy Beckham sure doesn’t exhibit the drawn face, muscle loss or lack of energy that the typical proponent of a low carb diet suffers from. The fact is the Beverly support nutrients actually make her vibrant!

Some foods may increase a mild metabolic increasing effect, a thermogenic effect, causing your body to burn more fat. Fruits in this category include apples, blueberries, grapefruit, peaches and strawberries. Some vegetables include asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, celery, onions, radishes, spinach and tomatoes. Almost all proteins have a desirable thermogenic effect except proteins high in fat, lunchmeats, and processed proteins. Unfortunately, as well, most single species protein powders such as whey concentrates and whey isolates also do NOT have much desirable thermogenic action. It could be almost a tragedy that many bodybuilders?Efat loss efforts have been thwarted by mistakenly using a single species whey protein. Single species protein is assimilated so quickly that it is often burned as fuel inhibiting the burning of your stored body fat.

What to eat
I. Proteins—Chicken, tuna, fish, turkey breast, lean beef, egg whites, whole eggs, protein powder.

II. Complex (Natural) & low glycemic Carbohydrates —This is a risky area. A complex carbohydrate is one that can be fully utilized by the body to be burned as energy. Some good examples sweet potatoes, brown rice, Old fashioned oatmeal.

III. Fresh Fruits - Apples, berries, grapefruit, strawberries.

IV. Non - Starchy Vegetables: asparagus, green beans, cabbage (all varieties), cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, kale, lettuce (all varieties), onions, peppers (green, red, jalapeno, etc.), radishes, spinach, string beans, tomatoes, water chestnuts and zucchini.

V. "Healthy" Fats and Oils: Flax seed oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil, olive oil, almonds, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, heavy cream, real butter, and lecithin granules.

My own notes....

No sugar! In any form or at any time, including post-workout. This means, except for what I posted above, no milk products, fruit, breads, condiments such as ketchup or dressing, etc.

Eat every 3 hrs, 6 meals a day

Protein can still be turned into sugar w/o fat or fibre in the same meal...make sure you eat it together.

Take your required daily protein intake and split it evenly between 6 meals

Eat approx 15 g fat at each meal...keep in mind the fat will prevent gluconeogenisis, so it needs to be high enough to do this, but you still need to be slightly lower than maintenance for daily calories. For example, You may need 17-18 g fat if you are a huge male bb, but only 15 if you are a smaller female bb.

Carbs...you generally have two options...keep you daily carbs low, under 45 males, under 30 females and do a bi-weekly carb up or get 60-80 grams carbs (slow-burning, as above) a day w/ no carb up.

A carb-up (twice weekly) consists of Old fashioned oats (1-2 cups, depending on body size), 6-8 oz sweet potato, 2 cups veggies, 1/2-1 banana & 1 tbsp fat in your last meal of the day.

You must drink an insane amount of water...I'm at 3+ gallons a day.

You can have up to two cups of veggies w/ your meals

What do you think?

khafra

Awards
Yikes. 3+ gallons of water and you've gotta avoid gatorade and chicken soup? Careful with your electrolyte balance. Eat the egg yolks, throw some salt-based seasoning on the steak, since there's no A-1 allowed.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its a CKD.

Fat doesn't prevent gluconeogensis. It just slows it down.

Everything else looks fine. Its a CKD with low GI carbs during refeeds and post workout. Sound familiar? ;)

Oops...He does use High GI carbs during refeed. Now its even more like a CKD. :D

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Parts of it pretty closely resemble the NHE or Natural Hormonal Enhancement eating plan espoused by Rob Faigin.

For instance, the active carbohydrate terminology, carb-up every 3/4 days, emphasis on starchy over sugary carbs, emphasis on omega9/3 fats over saturates, description of thermogenic emphasis...though there are some distinct and important differences though.

That just caught my attention b/c I have been reading NHE again, for some dieting ideas.
-Cardinal

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Its a CKD.

Fat doesn't prevent gluconeogensis. It just slows it down.

Everything else looks fine. Its a CKD with low GI carbs during refeeds and post workout. Sound familiar? ;)

Oops...He does use High GI carbs during refeed. Now its even more like a CKD. :D

It sure is a CKD. The only thing I disagree with is fruits. I only advocate extreamly small portions of lower Gi fruits like honeydo mellon and the like or save them more for carb-ups. The problem with the fructose is it heads more for the liver glycogen reserves (which can kick you out of ketosis) than to the muscle glycogen stores where it is needed.

PEACE

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm actually taking a look at this and seeing if it actually would knock you out. From our perspective it would but there some things still unclear to me that could cause low amounts of fruit not to knock you out. Still trying to round some things up though before I decide :D

Nelson

Do you think it would be more effectice to keep carbs at or below 45g with a carb-up twice-weekly, or to take in 60-80g carbs without a carb-up?
I`m actually trying to decide between this diet & SwoleCat`s SwoleGenix cutting diet, which is $200 :eek:
Anyway know anything about SwoleGenix?

chi_town

Awards
I'm actually taking a look at this and seeing if it actually would knock you out. From our perspective it would but there some things still unclear to me that could cause low amounts of fruit not to knock you out. Still trying to round some things up though before I decide :D
Small amounts of fruits(lower GI) should not knock most people out of ketosis. But higher amounts or higher GI fruits would surely inhibit ketosis, except for PW... but IMO PW is not when we want fructose especially.

PEACE

chi_town

Awards
Do you think it would be more effectice to keep carbs at or below 45g with a carb-up twice-weekly, or to take in 60-80g carbs without a carb-up?
I`m actually trying to decide between this diet & SwoleCat`s SwoleGenix cutting diet, which is $200 :eek:
Anyway know anything about SwoleGenix?
I really think it depends on your main goal and your current BF% for most. If your already at a lower BF%, you may find that more frequent refeeds (carb-ups) will be beneficial in restoking leptin levels. Also many of us who try and maintain higher levels of intensity while still cutting, find that use of a carb-up and also a mid week single meal carb-up really helps with energy and continuaing high level training troughout the week. I would not however advocate 2 full carb-ups per week as that would lead to being in a solid ketonic state for probably only 2-3 days max.

If one was going to do higher levels of carbs each day (60-80)and not carb-up, I'd recommend doing more of a TKD then.

PEACE

Lgoosey

Awards
I`m actually trying to decide between this diet & SwoleCat`s SwoleGenix cutting diet, which is $200
I always wondered what the big deal is with this guy's diets. Everyone is tight lipped about it too. Supposedly its taylored to you personally. A caloric deficet is a caloric deficet. I don't need to pay 200 dollars for some guy with a "gym PHD" to tell me how to diet esp. with the amount of information already on the net.

BTW: The article says a carb up MEAL every 3 or 4 days and then you made your own note as well. IMO either eat mor or make it longer than 1 meal. glycogen stores cannot be allowed to empty and 200 or so carbs over a night will not do the trick.

Nelson

I always wondered what the big deal is with this guy's diets. Everyone is tight lipped about it too. Supposedly its taylored to you personally. A caloric deficet is a caloric deficet. I don't need to pay 200 dollars for some guy with a "gym PHD" to tell me how to diet esp. with the amount of information already on the net.

Well I`ve decided to do SwoleGenix (the cutting diet).
I start next week.
I see it as an investment.
I`ll be able to use the diet as a template, along with SwoledUp (the bulking diet) for a long time.
I`d rather not waste my time, or muscle, playing the guessing game with diets.
When you think about how much money you spend, & sometimes waste on supplements, a few hundred dollars for a diet that has been proven to work is not that much.
The most important determinant to success in BB is diet.
Supplements will only take you so far.
A diet with the correct macronutrients provided at the right times, combined with the correct supplements will deliver great results.
It`s not as simple as being in a caloric deficit.
Check out SwoleCat`s thougts on this issue:
http://www.gotswole.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The diet costs a few hundred dollars??? Holy #$^&*. Beverly doesn't even charge that much for their diets do they?

Nelson, the thing about it is...you'll be getting a good diet that works sure, but you still won't have any way of knowing if it is the 'optimal' diet for you specifically right?

I do see your point about comparing this to unnecessary supplement costs though.

I buy books like NHE by Rob Faigin that present lifetime dieting philosophies, but I guess I have just never considered paying ~hundreds of bucks for it.