Catobolic vs. Anabolic?

Cutter

Awards
Ok I am just trying to understand this a little more....

My question is when you are dieting you want to be more Catabolic or Anabolic?

I understand that being Catobolic is the breakdown of complex molecules, which can increase cortisol in turn breaking down more molecules...(I think that is right about the cortisol)

I understand that being Anabolic is the build up of complex molecules, and to be Anabolic you have to have energy(which is the catoblic process) and when you are more Anabolic you gain size....which is lean muscle

Now here is where I am getting a little confused.....If anabolic increases size(lean muscle) that would increase your matoblism and in turn burn more fat which seems to coinside with catobolic

So anabolic can in a way break down fat( prevent muscle loss because you are adding muscle being anabolic) and catobolic is breaking down fat......

That is my question if catobolism is the breaking down of compex molecules would you not want to be more catobolic? or would it be better to be more anabolic where you do not lose muscle?

Sooty

Banned
Awards
Um. I'm pretty sure you went through the details too much. This is what ive learned, correct me if im wrong, BUT :
Anabolic is the buildup of muscle tissue, whereas
Catabolic is the breakdown of muscle tissue.

Anabolic is what you want, even if you are cutting. Catabolism is what happens to muscles during excessive cardio, or overtraining perhaps.

You can prevent that many ways, (glutamine perhaps? not sure) but catabolism I dont think is a good thing.

I would think both break down fat, just one builds muscle, the other tears it down.

to answer your question, IMHO, you dont want to be catabolic.

hope i got things straight... good luck man!

Cutter

Awards
Um. I'm pretty sure you went through the details too much. This is what ive learned, correct me if im wrong, BUT :
Anabolic is the buildup of muscle tissue, whereas
Catabolic is the breakdown of muscle tissue.

Anabolic is what you want, even if you are cutting. Catabolism is what happens to muscles during excessive cardio, or overtraining perhaps.

You can prevent that many ways, (glutamine perhaps? not sure) but catabolism I dont think is a good thing.

I would think both break down fat, just one builds muscle, the other tears it down.to answer your question, IMHO, you dont want to be catabolic.

hope i got things straight... good luck man!

Actually you answered it perfectly, i posted it on BB.com and they thought that I was talking about working out....which i guess I could see where they would get that...but saying the word DIETING I would think they would understand that is what I was talking about....thanx for your help.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
browsing by this topic really fast it looks like catholic vs. anabolic. i believe my exact thought was "damn, fvckers compete with everything." LOL.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
browsing by this topic really fast it looks like catholic vs. anabolic. i believe my exact thought was "damn, fvckers compete with everything." LOL.
:icon_lol: Great, now they're gonna try and stop us from being anabolic. :blink:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok I am just trying to understand this a little more....

My question is when you are dieting you want to be more Catabolic or Anabolic?

I understand that being Catobolic is the breakdown of complex molecules, which can increase cortisol in turn breaking down more molecules...(I think that is right about the cortisol)

I understand that being Anabolic is the build up of complex molecules, and to be Anabolic you have to have energy(which is the catoblic process) and when you are more Anabolic you gain size....which is lean muscle

Now here is where I am getting a little confused.....If anabolic increases size(lean muscle) that would increase your matoblism and in turn burn more fat which seems to coinside with catobolic

So anabolic can in a way break down fat( prevent muscle loss because you are adding muscle being anabolic) and catobolic is breaking down fat......

That is my question if catobolism is the breaking down of compex molecules would you not want to be more catobolic? or would it be better to be more anabolic where you do not lose muscle?
Anabolism is the building of more complex molecules from energy and materials (can be lean tissue or fatty tissue). Catabolism is just the reverse.

When you consume more calories than you are burning then you will be overall anabolic (fat and/or muscle). Catabolism is again the reverse.

When a lifter diets, they go overall catabolic but the goal is to maximize fatty tissue catabolism while minimizing lean tissue catabolism. It is a balancing act.

Generally, only beginners can lose overall weight and build muscle at the same time. So yes in that case anabolism of muscle can promote more fatty tissue breakdown. Overall, however, they would be catabolic because more energy is going out than coming in (weighing less on the scale).

Cutter

Awards
Anabolism is the building of more complex molecules from energy and materials (can be lean tissue or fatty tissue). Catabolism is just the reverse.

When you consume more calories than you are burning then you will be overall anabolic (fat and/or muscle). Catabolism is again the reverse.

When a lifter diets, they go overall catabolic but the goal is to maximize fatty tissue catabolism while minimizing lean tissue catabolism. It is a balancing act.

Generally, only beginners can lose overall weight and build muscle at the same time. So yes in that case anabolism of muscle can promote more fatty tissue breakdown. Overall, however, they would be catabolic because more energy is going out than coming in (weighing less on the scale).

Thanx man....Im glad that you explained that....Im not a beginner but at the same time I have so much to learn and IM just trying to get to the point where I can maximize my results like everyone else....I have a feeling that working out could possibly become my life soon....lol so I want to be knowledgable about the subject....

Sooty

Banned
Awards
pretty much eat right, lift right, and sleep longer. take stuff that prevent muscle catabolism.. i dont know any off hand.. use search