Catobolic vs. Anabolic?

  1. New Member
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    116
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    32.62%

    Question Catobolic vs. Anabolic?


    Ok I am just trying to understand this a little more....

    My question is when you are dieting you want to be more Catabolic or Anabolic?

    I understand that being Catobolic is the breakdown of complex molecules, which can increase cortisol in turn breaking down more molecules...(I think that is right about the cortisol)

    I understand that being Anabolic is the build up of complex molecules, and to be Anabolic you have to have energy(which is the catoblic process) and when you are more Anabolic you gain size....which is lean muscle

    Now here is where I am getting a little confused.....If anabolic increases size(lean muscle) that would increase your matoblism and in turn burn more fat which seems to coinside with catobolic

    So anabolic can in a way break down fat( prevent muscle loss because you are adding muscle being anabolic) and catobolic is breaking down fat......

    That is my question if catobolism is the breaking down of compex molecules would you not want to be more catobolic? or would it be better to be more anabolic where you do not lose muscle?

  2. Banned
    Sooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    40%

    Um. I'm pretty sure you went through the details too much. This is what ive learned, correct me if im wrong, BUT :
    Anabolic is the buildup of muscle tissue, whereas
    Catabolic is the breakdown of muscle tissue.

    Anabolic is what you want, even if you are cutting. Catabolism is what happens to muscles during excessive cardio, or overtraining perhaps.

    You can prevent that many ways, (glutamine perhaps? not sure) but catabolism I dont think is a good thing.

    I would think both break down fat, just one builds muscle, the other tears it down.

    to answer your question, IMHO, you dont want to be catabolic.

    hope i got things straight... good luck man!
  3. New Member
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    116
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    32.62%

    Red face


    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    Um. I'm pretty sure you went through the details too much. This is what ive learned, correct me if im wrong, BUT :
    Anabolic is the buildup of muscle tissue, whereas
    Catabolic is the breakdown of muscle tissue.

    Anabolic is what you want, even if you are cutting. Catabolism is what happens to muscles during excessive cardio, or overtraining perhaps.

    You can prevent that many ways, (glutamine perhaps? not sure) but catabolism I dont think is a good thing.

    I would think both break down fat, just one builds muscle, the other tears it down.to answer your question, IMHO, you dont want to be catabolic.

    hope i got things straight... good luck man!


    Actually you answered it perfectly, i posted it on BB.com and they thought that I was talking about working out....which i guess I could see where they would get that...but saying the word DIETING I would think they would understand that is what I was talking about....thanx for your help.
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    Sooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    40%

    Great man anything to help
  5. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Power
    10791
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    69.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    browsing by this topic really fast it looks like catholic vs. anabolic. i believe my exact thought was "damn, ****ers compete with everything." LOL.
  6. King Kong
    idunk42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    1290
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    94.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    browsing by this topic really fast it looks like catholic vs. anabolic. i believe my exact thought was "damn, ****ers compete with everything." LOL.
    Great, now they're gonna try and stop us from being anabolic.
  7. Banned
    Sooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    40%

    i hope my supplements dont molest me!
  8. New Member
    charliewat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    i hope my supplements dont molest me!
  9. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    805
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    12.12%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter
    Ok I am just trying to understand this a little more....

    My question is when you are dieting you want to be more Catabolic or Anabolic?

    I understand that being Catobolic is the breakdown of complex molecules, which can increase cortisol in turn breaking down more molecules...(I think that is right about the cortisol)

    I understand that being Anabolic is the build up of complex molecules, and to be Anabolic you have to have energy(which is the catoblic process) and when you are more Anabolic you gain size....which is lean muscle

    Now here is where I am getting a little confused.....If anabolic increases size(lean muscle) that would increase your matoblism and in turn burn more fat which seems to coinside with catobolic

    So anabolic can in a way break down fat( prevent muscle loss because you are adding muscle being anabolic) and catobolic is breaking down fat......

    That is my question if catobolism is the breaking down of compex molecules would you not want to be more catobolic? or would it be better to be more anabolic where you do not lose muscle?
    Anabolism is the building of more complex molecules from energy and materials (can be lean tissue or fatty tissue). Catabolism is just the reverse.

    When you consume more calories than you are burning then you will be overall anabolic (fat and/or muscle). Catabolism is again the reverse.

    When a lifter diets, they go overall catabolic but the goal is to maximize fatty tissue catabolism while minimizing lean tissue catabolism. It is a balancing act.

    Generally, only beginners can lose overall weight and build muscle at the same time. So yes in that case anabolism of muscle can promote more fatty tissue breakdown. Overall, however, they would be catabolic because more energy is going out than coming in (weighing less on the scale).
  10. New Member
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    116
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    32.62%

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    Anabolism is the building of more complex molecules from energy and materials (can be lean tissue or fatty tissue). Catabolism is just the reverse.

    When you consume more calories than you are burning then you will be overall anabolic (fat and/or muscle). Catabolism is again the reverse.

    When a lifter diets, they go overall catabolic but the goal is to maximize fatty tissue catabolism while minimizing lean tissue catabolism. It is a balancing act.

    Generally, only beginners can lose overall weight and build muscle at the same time. So yes in that case anabolism of muscle can promote more fatty tissue breakdown. Overall, however, they would be catabolic because more energy is going out than coming in (weighing less on the scale).

    Thanx man....Im glad that you explained that....Im not a beginner but at the same time I have so much to learn and IM just trying to get to the point where I can maximize my results like everyone else....I have a feeling that working out could possibly become my life soon....lol so I want to be knowledgable about the subject....
  11. New Member
    Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    116
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    32.62%

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    browsing by this topic really fast it looks like catholic vs. anabolic. i believe my exact thought was "damn, ****ers compete with everything." LOL.
    HAHAHA!
  12. Banned
    Sooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    40%

    pretty much eat right, lift right, and sleep longer. take stuff that prevent muscle catabolism.. i dont know any off hand.. use search
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. p-slin vs anabolic pump
    By IamTheWalrus in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
  2. Blue Gene vs. Anabolic Edge
    By Mar430 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM
  3. Sizeon VS. Anabolic Pump
    By izzzzooo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
  4. NHA Stack vs anabolic xtreme mass stack
    By weaknessis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in