Back at it again.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious to what yall might say so all of your input will be considered.

I am getting back into it, bodybuilding and all. The difference from then and now is that I'm married, work two high activity jobs and have two kids. Time is limited as some guys can either understand or relate to.

My thoughts are what calorie amount should I consider I was thinking 3000 high carb decent amount of healthy fat and lean protein or even fatty protein. My fit bit says I burn avg 2500 daily. I know the fitbit isn't completely accurate but I do have an idea of burning alot one day to burning none.

My goal is to build muscle, but not wanting to bulk. So I know it will have to change to fit my bodies needs.

What ratio would yall do? 20,40,40? 3000 caps? 4000?

Anabolic_Stud

Anabolic_Stud

Awards

I am getting back into it, bodybuilding and all. The difference from then and now is that I'm married, work two high activity jobs and have two kids. Time is limited as some guys can either understand or relate to.

My thoughts are what calorie amount should I consider I was thinking 3000 high carb decent amount of healthy fat and lean protein or even fatty protein. My fit bit says I burn avg 2500 daily. I know the fitbit isn't completely accurate but I do have an idea of burning alot one day to burning none.

My goal is to build muscle, but not wanting to bulk. So I know it will have to change to fit my bodies needs.

First fit bit is garbage. Only semi accurate way to tell your metabolism is with a chest monitor or even more so a basic metabolic rate test by a medical physician. That being said there are numerous tools to get a close number of calories your body needs for certain goals. There's a calculator on bodybuilding . Com's website. Age, height, weight, activity level and goals. Not the best but better than if you have access to nothing. Putting on muscle is considered bulking btw. Unless your goal is recomp which is possible for some to accomplish. There is also multiple different tools to calculate macros once you know your BMR.

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
Try with 3000! Go for like 65-100g of good fats, get protein in depending on your weight, maybe 180-200g. The rest with carbs. Don't go dirty! Train very hard! Drink much water, train frequently. If you feel very hungry still at 3000 (with healthy foods) then add more. Maybe 3250. Have your cheat meals every once in a while. And by the time you have tracked everything and done this for a couple of weeks, you will see nice changes! Good luck man!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

What's your height weight and a rough idea of body fat, I have two kids and work construction I know what it's like and you're probably going to need more calories than you think you do.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
As Smont mentioned, stats would be helpful (height, weight, age, etc.). If you're just getting back into lifting and you don't want to put on too much weight, I would start at the lower end with your calories and see how it works out. I think 3000 would be a good starting point - see how your body responds to that for a few weeks and adjust if needed.

I wouldn't factor in your calories burned on your fit bit at all. I've seen some people adjust their calorie intake day by day according to what a watch tells them, and I personally don't like this approach. I would suggest keeping your intake consistent.

Regarding macros, Firreozkan hit the nail on the head. I would keep fats at 20-25% of your total calories, protein to 1g per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs. Keep it simple, stay consistent, and let us know how things go.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
What's your height weight and a rough idea of body fat, I have two kids and work construction I know what it's like and you're probably going to need more calories than you think you do.
Yeah I work part time with construction, I'm an electrician and pull wire all day. Full time work on boats work with metal, paint, rust chipping etc.

I'm 30, 190lbs, bf I wanna say low 20s - high 10s.

Have been lifting for a long time but have not worked two high active jobs before. Caffeine has been my friend lol.

My bf is in a decent place if i lost more I would be happy, but I'm happy where I'm at also.

I figured fitbit was garbage in calorie output, I do although think it gives me a decent idea on how much I'm burning and all.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I work part time with construction, I'm an electrician and pull wire all day. Full time work on boats work with metal, paint, rust chipping etc.

I'm 30, 190lbs, bf I wanna say low 20s - high 10s.

Have been lifting for a long time but have not worked two high active jobs before. Caffeine has been my friend lol.

My bf is in a decent place if i lost more I would be happy, but I'm happy where I'm at also.

I figured fitbit was garbage in calorie output, I do although think it gives me a decent idea on how much I'm burning and all.
To build muscle, you are going to have to eat in a surplus, which is technically a bulk. You can limit how much fat you'll put on over time by eating in a smaller surplus, but because the surplus is lower, gaining lean muscle will also take more time. If your activity tracker says your burn 2,500, you need to find your TDEE as well. If it is 1,500, for example, you would need 4,000 cals to maintain weight. I would eat only a few hundred calories above that. Keep your protein high since you work a physically demanding job and also keep your carbs higher as well.