Gained weight in deficit

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
I've been cutting since march. By the end of may I had went from 247 to 227 @ 6-7 %bf. My goal was to maintain that all summer but I got a little sloppy and would cheat on the weekends then have to go in a deficit all week to erase the damage. I always would return to 226-227 by the end of the week though so I figured no harm done. Well I got tired of starving myself all week just to cheat on the weekends and started controlling it more. Lately I have been eating a little over maintenance on Saturday and Sunday then just returning to a minor deficit during the week. (4000 cal/day weekends, 2600-3000 cal during the week; maintenance is around 3600 cal). I lift 6 days a week pretty intense and do cardio in the am on the weekends. My concern is that last week my weight never went back down and still hasn't. Im staying at 231 and am confused as to wtf happened.. I don't think it's fat gain unless my metabolism seriously tanked. Anyone else ever get this or know why this could happen?

Biggoron86

Biggoron86

Awards
The easy answer is that you are not in a deficit. I eat about 1800 calories a day, train super heavy 5 days a week and still gain weight. 4000 calories is like 2.5 days for me. I weigh 205 and I'm 5'8 with pretty solid muscle mass.

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
The easy answer is that you are not in a deficit. I eat about 1800 calories a day, train super heavy 5 days a week and still gain weight. 4000 calories is like 2.5 days for me. I weigh 205 and I'm 5'8 with pretty solid muscle mass.
I'm 6'5 226-230 lbs and currently at like 7-8 %bf. When I was bulking I was eating 4100 calories a day and only gained .5-1 lb a week. I'm pretty sure 3500 calories is a good tdee for me.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Subbed. Same thing happened to me. I think that at 6-7%bf if your body gets used to a calorie consumption routine it'll start being 'smart' and manipulate your nutrient partitioning to put on some fat. Everyone's precise comfort zone's different but the human body is wired to gravitate towards having a little more fat than 6-7%.
Would love to hear an a solution

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
Subbed. Same thing happened to me. I think that at 6-7%bf if your body gets used to a calorie consumption routine it'll start being 'smart' and manipulate your nutrient partitioning to put on some fat. Everyone's precise comfort zone's different but the human body is wired to gravitate towards having a little more fat than 6-7%.
Would love to hear an a solution
That could make sense but do you really think it would result in a 4-5 lb gain? I mean I may have been a little off in my cheatday calculations but I don't think by that much.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
the simple answer is: its only been a week... sometimes your weight can fluctuate up, down, or not at all for somewhat extended periods of time (even up to a few weeks) inexplicably... you very well may drop it all in a day randomly (termed a "whoosh")... if its still the same after 14-18 days, then change something.

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
the simple answer is: its only been a week... sometimes your weight can fluctuate up, down, or not at all for somewhat extended periods of time (even up to a few weeks) inexplicably... you very well may drop it all in a day randomly (termed a "whoosh")... if its still the same after 14-18 days, then change something.
You think it could also be from reaching a point where my body just is too taxed? I train 6 days a week and usually do cardio on my off day. Haven't taken any time off in several months. Maybe that and the diet just caused too much stress?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Something wrong IMO if at 205 you gain weight at 1800, I am sitting at 170 and lost 0.7lb this week at ~2700 kcals

Biggoron86

Biggoron86

Awards
What are your training schedule and macros?
I lift Monday to Friday alternating push pull and legs. I focus on heavy lifts for deadlifts, bench and squat. I typically intermittent fast and have my first calorie intake of an oatmeal bar before the gym around noon. After gym I have a protein shake with 2tbs of peanut butter. Then for dinner I typically have korean food, like pork belly with kimchi. And that's it. All in all its under 2000 calories the majority of days. I don't follow macros I just try to eat sensibly with protein Intake and moderate carbs and fat. The only place I have noticible fat is the love handle and gut area. I have a decent amount of muscle from being consistent and lifting heavy over the years. It's hard to do cardio like I used to when younger since tearing my acl 7 years ago. I'm taking 1-ad and lipodrene in a cycle currently.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Train 6 (sometimes 7) days a week, twice a day ~20-30 minutes per workout, each body part 3x per week. Macro target i am for protein at 1.5g per lb so aim for ~250, fats ~100 and carbs ~200g give or take few grams.

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
nduronio what are your macros?
300g pro, 285g carbs, 70g fat.. this has been for the last 2 weeks. Carbs were around 200-230 before when I was still binging on the weekends and had to drastically cut during the week.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Something wrong IMO if at 205 you gain weight at 1800, I am sitting at 170 and lost 0.7lb this week at ~2700 kcals
Also, what's your usual schedule and meal timing?
Workout schedule is 6 (maybe 7) days per week twice a day (20-30 minutes per workout) each body part 3x per week - train at 6am and 6:15pm at weekends possibly a bit later in the morning and earlier in the afternoon depending on what I have planned. Overall I do 18 sets (edit - calves, traps, biceps and triceps at 9) per week of each body part.

Meal timing is 16:8 IF, generally eat at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 7pm and 8pm

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm 6'5 226-230 lbs and currently at like 7-8 %bf. When I was bulking I was eating 4100 calories a day and only gained .5-1 lb a week. I'm pretty sure 3500 calories is a good tdee for me.
This would all depend on your activity and the changes in your body. I would look to reduce it further. For me I consume 1600 calories to cut and that's low for many people. Start by cutting another 500 out and see how that works.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This isn't true at all. Everyone's body is different. I'm 5'10", around 185-190 and gain at anything above 1900 and cut at 1700 or less always.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
OP my suggestion is just ride things out for a couple weeks. Don't worry about it unless it continues to go up.

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
OP my suggestion is just ride things out for a couple weeks. Don't worry about it unless it continues to go up.
Yea I'm hoping it's just water and it whooshes away soon. Kinda lost some vascularity as well so most likely water. Still don't know why I'm holding it but oh well.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yea I'm hoping it's just water and it whooshes away soon. Kinda lost some vascularity as well so most likely water. Still don't know why I'm holding it but oh well.
Because nature hates/tortures all of us with vanity issues haha

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
Well I'm trying to not worry about this and just hope it goes away but this morning my weight is still unchanged at 231. I took a couple pics for future reference.
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

I can notice less separation between abs, obliques and side cuts aren't as defined and I'm less vascular then I was a couple weeks ago. Sorry no photos to compare to. Also maybe worth mentioning that I usually have 2-3 good sized craps a day but lately its barely been one mediocre crap a day. Also noticeably more tired when I wake up and not as good of a pump while working out... Do these signs maybe point towards overreaching?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dude. Stop weighing yourself every day and worrying. The stress alone is probably what's causing all this. Literally every side you listed can be from stress.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The two times I've had this I was stressed and in pct

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
The two times I've had this I was stressed and in pct
Well stress is def a mother f***er.... however I'm pretty sure I've pin pointed the cause. I've been taking letrone and rebirth at full dose for over a month now and I think it caused my e levels to drop too low. Oh also been taking kingsblood which has estrogen control in it too.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well stress is def a mother f***er.... however I'm pretty sure I've pin pointed the cause. I've been taking letrone and rebirth at full dose for over a month now and I think it caused my e levels to drop too low. Oh also been taking kingsblood which has estrogen control in it too.
That and stress are probably it. I was on an e rebound the first time from taking AIs to cut

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Are you in pct?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No. Taking estrogen control supps bc I had bloodwork done a while ago and my estrogen was high.
Why rebirth?

I think you just need to stop playing with your hormones

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Figured it would be more natural than the tamoxifen I was prescribed and didn't want to take.
So you ignored a doctor in order to self medicate... you do realize that tamox will work totally differently and do different things to your body and hormones than rebirth (which is at best an unproven, wannabe serm - not knocking the product but if it were a true serm it would be pharma only)

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
So you ignored a doctor in order to self medicate... you do realize that tamox will work totally differently and do different things to your body and hormones than rebirth (which is at best an unproven, wannabe serm - not knocking the product but if it were a true serm it would be pharma only)
Yes

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This! It's happened to me before when I've fallen off the wagon. Your body is all about homesostasis. It'll return but a lot goes into it. I have been in a surplus for about 10 days now from where I was and I'm down almost 10lbs (added cardio but I'm about 1,000 cals over where I was)

Point is, it's just a number. Ride it out and don't be worried

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
Planning on getting blood work at the end of this run? It would be interesting to see how this played out. A couple of my friends have recovered well using rebirth.
Yea the endo I went to wrote me a script for 3 more blood draws within the next year. My next one is at the end of the month. I believe my E2 was in the high 50s so it will be be interesting to see the results. I do believe that my symptoms are related to low estrogen from these supps though. I was taking letrone and rebirth 2x daily for over a month and have every symptom I've read about related to low E. I cut back on the letrone to once every other day and will stop taking it completely in a few days. Will continue the rebirth for another week before tapering that down as well. Just didn't want to completely stop taking both in fear of a rebound effect.

primolift00

Awards
  • Established
Yea the endo I went to wrote me a script for 3 more blood draws within the next year. My next one is at the end of the month. I believe my E2 was in the high 50s so it will be be interesting to see the results. I do believe that my symptoms are related to low estrogen from these supps though. I was taking letrone and rebirth 2x daily for over a month and have every symptom I've read about related to low E. I cut back on the letrone to once every other day and will stop taking it completely in a few days. Will continue the rebirth for another week before tapering that down as well. Just didn't want to completely stop taking both in fear of a rebound effect.
Sounds like a solid plan and thank you for the response. Good luck, will be interesting to see the results.

nduronio

nduronio

Awards
Ok sorry to bump this thread again but i figured i would update my situation. I went with a deload week this last week. I dropped intensity slightly and cut volume in half. Did 15 minutes low intensity on stationary bike before and after workout each day just to get a sweat going. I also tapered down the letrone to 1 a day for a few days then 1 eod. Kept the rebirth the same. I ate pretty good over the weekend without going too crazy, about 4000 calories Saturday and Sunday. I ate between 2700-2800 calories a day this last week with my macros being around 220g carbs, 300g pro, 70g fat. Today I weighed slightly less than last week (229 vs 231) and imo I look exactly the same. Not sure how I feel about it but oh well I just figured I would give an update. Here are my pics:

Last week (231):
IMG_0320.jpg

Today (229):
IMG_0342.jpg

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
This isn't true at all. Everyone's body is different. I'm 5'10", around 185-190 and gain at anything above 1900 and cut at 1700 or less always.
Sounds like you might want to consider slowly raising your metabolism by increasing your calories everyday by like 5 cals a day. I'm 5'11 165 and currently require 3,200 cals per day and this what I do after a cut to recover my metabolism.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sounds like you might want to consider slowly raising your metabolism by increasing your calories everyday by like 5 cals a day. I'm 5'11 165 and currently require 3,200 cals per day and this what I do after a cut to recover my metabolism.
if you think i havent tried everything to get it higher you're silly ha... i have a bottomless pit for a stomach so its always been an issue for me. Just got hosed in the genetic lottery. Frankly no one in my family is very fit, and clearly genetics play a major role in how lean anyone can maintain and at what caloric intake. I dont think in my life I've ever been over maybe 3k without gaining some pretty serious weight. Even when I was much heavier (20%+bf) my caloric intake to maintain that bf was nothing special.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
jeez this weight loss stuff takes forever dammit