Macro Breakdown for Keto

rippedchris

Awards
Hey guys and gals,

Been admiring the boards for a while now, figured it's time to sign up and join. I'm hoping to start a standard keto diet today, weigh 210.2 and am at about 25% bodyfat. Would like to get down to 15%, then maybe entertain more of a CKD plan. For reference, I'm slightly muscular, but definitely have a nice cushion of fat covering everything up. I'd post a pic, but my post count isn't high enough.

Anyway, here's what my macros are looking like to start this cut:

2,000 Calories
25g of Carbs
100g of Protein
167g of Fat

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rippedchris (at least I hope to be ripped soon!)

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Commenting to help after i get home from the gym to calculate what I believe is good.

I agree doing an SKD would be more beneficial till lower body fat %, and even then, transition to a TKD before jumping CKD. But that's at least 8 weeks away id say.

From first glance protein looks low. At least 0.8g per pound of LBM. I'll get back to you soon!

rippedchris

Awards
Commenting to help after i get home from the gym to calculate what I believe is good.

I agree doing an SKD would be more beneficial till lower body fat %, and even then, transition to a TKD before jumping CKD. But that's at least 8 weeks away id say.

From first glance protein looks low. At least 0.8g per pound of LBM. I'll get back to you soon!
Thanks so much man! And thanks for the rec on going to TKD before CKD. Definitely going to do that now that you mention it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Thanks so much man! And thanks for the rec on going to TKD before CKD. Definitely going to do that now that you mention it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
No problem! Have you done keto before?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
You've got a top Keto tip guy talking to you already so I'd just say do TDEE, 0.8-1.2g P/LBM, limit your NET carbs to 20g a day to establish a nice base of ketosis. You want to be Keto adapted before hitting a CKD so I'd suggest 8-12 weeks SKD for good adaption! Are you wanting to do Keto long term?

rippedchris

Awards
You've got a top Keto tip guy talking to you already so I'd just say do TDEE, 0.8-1.2g P/LBM, limit your NET carbs to 20g a day to establish a nice base of ketosis. You want to be Keto adapted before hitting a CKD so I'd suggest 8-12 weeks SKD for good adaption! Are you wanting to do Keto long term?
Will do on 20g or carbs! Makes sense to start lower for the adaptation phase. I think I'd like to try keto for 4-5 months to see where I get body comp wise and how I feel. Do you do keto?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Aight brotha man heres a few option for you! Sorry for the delay, had one of those rare days in the gym where I couldn't stop haha.

I am going to assume your activity level is sedentary for the purposed of this breakdown.. I workout 1-2 hrs a day, basketball multiple hours a week, biking, hiking, etc.. and still consider myself sedentary as far as macros go.

Your current LBM: 157.65lb

Your current macros are set up on 'medical ketosis', which is used for treating epilepsy (that is expanding now into cancer, etc, per Dom D'Agostino).

Depending on what sort of deficit you want to run, I am going to give you a few options! Your Keto maintence based on weight and body fat% is around 2200 calories. Seems low, but considering keto is muscle sparing it is what it is.

On to the macros:

25% Deficit
Calories: 1580
Protein: 158g (1g per LBM)
Fat: 97g
Carbs: 20g

20% Deficit:
Calories: 1686
Fat: 108g

15% Deficit:
Calories: 1791
Fat: 120g

Now, for my recommendation on which to follow.. I would follow the 20% calorie deficit, but take a recomp approach rather than strict cut and consume 250 more cals on training days.. This would come from 1 extra scoop of protein and 1 tbls coconut or MCT oil (I tend to take together 1 hr prior to my workout).

So what it would look like...

Training days:
Calories: 1936~
158g protein + 25g protein = 183g
108g fat + 14g MCT/Coconut oil = 122g
<20g net carbs (should primarily come from green non-starchy veggies).

Non-training days:

Run with something like that for 8-12 weeks and get nice and fat adapated, then work towards TKD or just stick with SKD unless your lifts begin to suffer. They will suffer a little bit inititally as you transition from using glucose to ketones for energy, but it doesn't last that long.

Since this is your first time running keto, DO NOT skimp out on your electrolytes. Track them if you need to, cap some sea salt/pink salt if you need to..
It is recommended to do 5-7g (yes grams) of sodium on top of what you get in your whole foods. 1g potassium (can get this in food pretty easily, spinach, avocado, etc.), and 400-600mg magnesium (i take magnesium citrate an hour or so prior to bed and sometimes preworkout).

Hope that helps.. good luck!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It looks like Wimsicle set you up! I'll take the macros hes calculated for you and run with it.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I do do Keto haha but like I said wimsicle has all bases covered apart from adding in calories if you're not sedentary :)

rippedchris

Awards
Aight brotha man heres a few option for you! Sorry for the delay, had one of those rare days in the gym where I couldn't stop haha.

I am going to assume your activity level is sedentary for the purposed of this breakdown.. I workout 1-2 hrs a day, basketball multiple hours a week, biking, hiking, etc.. and still consider myself sedentary as far as macros go.

Your current LBM: 157.65lb

Your current macros are set up on 'medical ketosis', which is used for treating epilepsy (that is expanding now into cancer, etc, per Dom D'Agostino).

Depending on what sort of deficit you want to run, I am going to give you a few options! Your Keto maintence based on weight and body fat% is around 2200 calories. Seems low, but considering keto is muscle sparing it is what it is.

On to the macros:

25% Deficit
Calories: 1580
Fat: 97g

20% Deficit:

15% Deficit:
Calories: 1791
Fat: 120g

Now, for my recommendation on which to follow.. I would follow the 20% calorie deficit, but take a recomp approach rather than strict cut and consume 250 more cals on training days.. This would come from 1 extra scoop of protein and 1 tbls coconut or MCT oil (I tend to take together 1 hr prior to my workout).

So what it would look like...

Training days:
Calories: 1936~
158g protein + 25g protein = 183g
108g fat + 14g MCT/Coconut oil = 122g
<20g net carbs (should primarily come from green non-starchy veggies).

Non-training days:

Run with something like that for 8-12 weeks and get nice and fat adapated, then work towards TKD or just stick with SKD unless your lifts begin to suffer. They will suffer a little bit inititally as you transition from using glucose to ketones for energy, but it doesn't last that long.

Since this is your first time running keto, DO NOT skimp out on your electrolytes. Track them if you need to, cap some sea salt/pink salt if you need to..
It is recommended to do 5-7g (yes grams) of sodium on top of what you get in your whole foods. 1g potassium (can get this in food pretty easily, spinach, avocado, etc.), and 400-600mg magnesium (i take magnesium citrate an hour or so prior to bed and sometimes preworkout).

Hope that helps.. good luck!
Wow! Thank you so much! See, this is EXACTLY why I joined AM! Y'all aren't clowning on me, y'all are helping me out. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! I'm starting a log, I'll try and toss the link in here.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Thank you so much! See, this is EXACTLY why I joined AM! Y'all aren't clowning on me, y'all are helping me out. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! I'm starting a log, I'll try and toss the link in here.
Sounds like a plan! Good luck and I'll definitely follow along

Do you plan to use any supplementation

rippedchris

Awards
One last thing Wimsicle are there any supps you recommend for keto outside of creatine, beta alanine and citrulline malate? Thanks again!

rippedchris

Awards
Sounds like a plan! Good luck and I'll definitely follow along

Do you plan to use any supplementation
Hey man, Im finally about to start my log tomorrow! Our AC went out last week, so we've been living in a hotel the past couple of nights while we got a new unit replaces. Needless to say it was hard to eat low carb. Anyhow, thanks again for all of the help! Would creatine, beta alanine and citrulline malate be fine? I want to take an AI and fat burner, but figure I should wait until my fat loss plateaus before I do that. Also, I have a can of Muscle Pharm Assault lying around. The label says zero carbs and sugars... thoughts?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
You are fine with all of what you stated.

A relatively cheap thermo that can help with hunger as well would be EC stack.

What is your reasoning for taking an AI?

rippedchris

Awards
You are fine with all of what you stated.

A relatively cheap thermo that can help with hunger as well would be EC stack.

What is your reasoning for taking an AI?
Thanks mam! I took Formestane last time I cut (2012) and noticed that it really dried me out, brought out some good striations and vascularity. Is this a bad idea? I honestly haven't figured out what I'd take anyways the supp landscape is so different that it used to be.

Feiwong

Feiwong

Awards
  • Established
Wimsicle
I'm on CKD from a month and is going all right. I'm bit worried about the amount of fats because from a week and for the next 7 I'll be on PH, epiandro-epistane-trenavar and worried if many fat are messing my lipids. How many fats are good on ph/aas on a keto diet? Also thinking to switching on a modified psfm with 2 carbo loading twice a week

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Wimsicle
I'm on CKD from a month and is going all right. I'm bit worried about the amount of fats because from a week and for the next 7 I'll be on PH, epiandro-epistane-trenavar and worried if many fat are messing my lipids. How many fats are good on ph/aas on a keto diet? Also thinking to switching on a modified psfm with 2 carbo loading twice a week
Keto is actually good on lipids. PH/DS are not but Keto won't make it worse and will probably make recovery a bit easier IMO! I would do PSFM while using steroids, you won't gain anything or if you do won't keep it, it'll be a waste of time and money. If you intend to cut while on PH I'd go for maintenance kcals for PCT to try stabilise any new muscle or again you'll lose any you gained.

Feiwong

Feiwong

Awards
  • Established
Are you sayng to do psfm on cycle and maintenance on pct?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
No I'm saying CKD on cycle and maintenance on PCT save PSFM for a few months after your cycle, personally I don't really agree with PSFM but it seems to work for some, I can only advise but ultimately it's your choice

hanslifts

Awards
Do you guys use a particular app to track macros? I am trying MyFitnessPal, seems to be ok. Just curious if there are any other suggestions out there. Thx!

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys use a particular app to track macros? I am trying MyFitnessPal, seems to be ok. Just curious if there are any other suggestions out there. Thx!
Mfp works just fine :) some people use chronometer as well.

There is a plug in that figured out net carbs for you on Mfp though. Just Google myfitnesspal net carbs plugin

For chrome and maybe ff