Fat loss

  1. Fat loss


    Can anyone help me with the best supplement regime to get rid of stubborn belly fat and increase muscle tone?
    I am male, 43, 6-0, 220 lbs.
    Currently doing crossfit type met-con workouts 5 days/week. Will start more strength training in about a month, once the gyms remodel is finished.
    I eat a ketogenic diet, so any supplements will need to be low/no carb.
    Thanks


  2. Do you do any planned carb ups? If so how frequent?
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot View Post
    Do you do any planned carb ups? If so how frequent?
    That would defeat the purpose of ketosis.
    Olympus Labs Demigod
    PM me with any Olympus Labs questions
    Use Code WOODY30 for 30% off your order at www.Olympus-Labs.com

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot View Post
    Do you do any planned carb ups? If so how frequent?
    See reply below.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    That would defeat the purpose of ketosis.
    The cyclicketogenic diet by Lyle McDonald has weekly carb ups to replenish muscle glycogen lost during ketosis. It helps preserve muscle while dieting. You'll need to do this if you want to keep as much muscle as possible, but if total weight loss is your main goal then yes, carb ups will defeat the purpose. He explains it better in his book. The pdf is easily found with a search. What type of supplement to take will depend if your carbing up or not. That's why I asked.
    •   
       


  6. How long have you been training and how long have you been consistently following a structured diet? Body fat estimate?
    Performax Labs Product Specialist
    Follow My Journey: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/269588-antms-lean-bulk.html

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot View Post
    The cyclicketogenic diet by Lyle McDonald has weekly carb ups to replenish muscle glycogen lost during ketosis. It helps preserve muscle while dieting. You'll need to do this if you want to keep as much muscle as possible, but if total weight loss is your main goal then yes, carb ups will defeat the purpose. He explains it better in his book. The pdf is easily found with a search. What type of supplement to take will depend if your carbing up or not. That's why I asked.
    Sorry, I should have read your post more thorough. Disregard my misunderstanding.

  8. If I were to do a ketogenic diet, these are the supplements I would make sure I have.

    Whey (low carb like isolate)
    BCAA's
    creatine monohydrate
    MCT oil or coconut oil
    Omega 3's or fish oil

    These supplements by themselves won't get rid of stubborn belly fat and increase muscle tone, but paird with the ketogenic diet they will certainly help with your goals.

  9. Isn't too much protein in ketosis bad? Keto is protein sparing and IIRC too much protein runs the risk of kicking you out of ketosis
    Olympus Labs Demigod
    PM me with any Olympus Labs questions
    Use Code WOODY30 for 30% off your order at www.Olympus-Labs.com

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Isn't too much protein in ketosis bad? Keto is protein sparing and IIRC too much protein runs the risk of kicking you out of ketosis
    Yes it can be. It's usually more of a bonus issue than a total daily amount but chances are those will go hand in hand.

    It differs for every person tho too as some people can stay in ketosis with up to 150g of carbs while others have to stay below 30-50 and mostly incidentals/veggies/fibrous.

    The only supps I would suggest would be something like agamatine xt (from Sns) with meals that have veggies or some trace carbs as it has mild gda/partitioning effects and maybe something like ketoinduce from evomuse for a quicker/guaranteed bump into ketosis.

    Belly fat would be best target by something like reduce xt that works on cortisol which can cause visceral fat to hold tight.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Isn't too much protein in ketosis bad? Keto is protein sparing and IIRC too much protein runs the risk of kicking you out of ketosis
    That's usually the case if your total fat intake is too low. Your body will want to use protein as a fuel source by turning it into sugar and kicking you out of ketosis. Keep fat as your main energy source, use whey and bcaa's around your workouts. Getting kicked out of ketosis shouldn't be a problem then.

  12. Keep in mind that two things have to happen: 1- your body knows how to burn fat as energy. 2- your workouts are not causing unwanted court is all is all levels to rise. Getting into shape doesn't necessarily mean being low body fat, and doing stressful CrossFit workouts could very well be putting more estrogen and then testosterone into your bloodstream. How does your blood levels look ?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by jesus_sanchez View Post
    Keep in mind that two things have to happen: 1- your body knows how to burn fat as energy. 2- your workouts are not causing unwanted court is all is all levels to rise. Getting into shape doesn't necessarily mean being low body fat, and doing stressful CrossFit workouts could very well be putting more estrogen and then testosterone into your bloodstream. How does your blood levels look ?
    What? Please elaborate on how a stressful workout (of ANY type) can make estrogen...
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com

  14. Sure! The adrenal glands have difficulty keeping up with the constant demands a WOD gone too long (usually with guys over 40 past 30 min) a cortisol (stress hormone) release occurs. By product is belly fat that just wont go away, moodiness and defensive attitude, etc. This happened to me when I did the Insanity Workout (Im on my way to 50). I got in great shape cardio wise, but the look my body had was all wrong. I modified the workouts, and all went well again. I hope that helps. It is hard to explain adrenal fatigue & estrogen & cortisol in a simple post. Cheers!!

  15. Quote Originally Posted by jesus_sanchez View Post
    Sure! The adrenal glands have difficulty keeping up with the constant demands a WOD gone too long (usually with guys over 40 past 30 min) a cortisol (stress hormone) release occurs. By product is belly fat that just wont go away, moodiness and defensive attitude, etc. This happened to me when I did the Insanity Workout (Im on my way to 50). I got in great shape cardio wise, but the look my body had was all wrong. I modified the workouts, and all went well again. I hope that helps. It is hard to explain adrenal fatigue & estrogen & cortisol in a simple post. Cheers!!
    Yeah that doesn't explain your estrogen statement...

    Cortisol I understand but that's not what your original statement said.

    It's literally impossible to create estrogen without test. Also, adrenal fatigue should never occur simply due to a hard hiit type workout... they're simply not all that taxing on the cns since they're more metabolic than intense in a cns style.

    I can see you got results with whatever you did, but your logic and reasoning is flawed and goes against the laws of physics and normal physiological processes.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com

  16. Thank you sir.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. You Want Abs? - fat loss stacks
    By Super Tri's in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 09:49 AM
  2. Fat Loss- Something To Think About
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 02:45 PM
  3. non ephedra based fat loss products?
    By hamper19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 07:24 PM
  4. HIIT: The optimal protocol for fat loss?
    By Lifeguard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 03:10 PM
  5. Arimidex doses for fat loss?
    By smokinghawk in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Log in
Log in