Carb refeed - pancakes or oatmeal?

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Hey everyone , tomorrow is my refeed day after 8 days of low/no carbs and high fat high protein (keto) kinda. Does anyone really know if during my refeed that I should be eating my oatmeal, sweet potatoes and rice vs having my pancakes , 5guys burger/fries, couple donuts and pound some dextrose after my workout ?

Any thoughts ? Feel free to bash my post to help me out. Thanks everyone

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Great question, I'm in need of the same info.

All I know is I want a piece of carrot cake!

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HIT4ME is a genius with this stuff. Maybe he can enlighten you guys with a bit of knowledge!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Refeeds are designed to get a leptin response.

Keep fat low (subjective here)

Cho should double( maybe triple) your normal intake

Protein should be 1-1.5g per lb of body weight

Don't over complicate a refeed

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
HIT4ME is a genius with this stuff. Maybe he can enlighten you guys with a bit of knowledge!
haha - thanks man. Truth is, I'm just really good at cheat meals :)

Yeah, this is pretty solid advice here. I may have slightly different guidelines but they are kind of following the same "rules". Basically, try to make sure you are still hitting your protein requirements for the day, the same as any other day, keep fat low (you can be a little more flexible than if you're on a strict diet, but don't go nuts) and get 1.5-3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight. As Tyga said, this is a lot about leptin response - so starchy carbs work well.

There is a fine line between a refeed and a cheat - you can easily turn what was supposed to be a refeed into an out of control cheat, but you can also convert an out of control cheat into a reasonable refeed if you plan well.

For instance, on my diet I will go out to eat for a cheat meal 1X per week. Sometimes this turns into 2X per week. Psychologically, if I get some tortilla's, lean ground beef, cheese and rice and make a burrito, and then have a baked pretzel or something for a "dessert" - it "feels" like a cheat but it gets me my carbs and keeps my calories within reason, fat moderate and protein is still high.

Of course, it can easilly go the other way where instead of a pretzel I have a piece of cake and then it's no longer a refeed...it's a cheat.

As Tyga said well - don't over complicate it, but don't go full retard and think you can eat unlimited amounts of food either.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When I was on a diet extremely similar to that. On our refeed days we were told we could eat whatever we wanted so long as we stayed within a few parameters. Don't go over 3 grams carb per lb body weight. Don't eat an entire cake. Keep you sugars and simple carbs in check. Don't eat sugar just because you can. We would eat meals like spaghetti, pizzas, tacos with real tortillas and chips. Just make your refeed something you like.

We also did an 18hr fast after our largest refeed meal. So we wouldn't eat until around 5 or so. The fast sucked by the way.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Back in 2006 i hired Ken "Skip" Hill to help me get ready for my first (and only) show. His approach to refeeds are pretty legendary and known as a Skiploading (or ****loading). He preaches foods like pancakes and syrup, kid’s cereal like fruity pebbles or LIFE, toast, no or low fat chips, hashbrowns, granola bars, spaghetti, low fat homemade pizzas, low fat versions of sushi, sorbet, etc.. Any food with low fiber, low fat and a high amount of carbs is a good choice.

I remember i had a refeed go over 1,5 days in the end and it was amazing.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah skip wanted 5-7g fat or less per serving with whatever you were eating. My buddy used skip for a bbing show

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Agreed with all of the guys above, if you're truly trying to do a "refeed" and not just a cheat or "refuel", you need to stay VERY low fat. As low as possible really.

If it's more of a cheat tho, just enjoy and keep fats lowER but don't bother getting crazy couting

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone , tomorrow is my refeed day after 8 days of low/no carbs and high fat high protein (keto) kinda. Does anyone really know if during my refeed that I should be eating my oatmeal, sweet potatoes and rice vs having my pancakes , 5guys burger/fries, couple donuts and pound some dextrose after my workout ?

Any thoughts ? Feel free to bash my post to help me out. Thanks everyone
Great advice in this thread. For a refeed I wouldn't just use one source of carbs. It shouldn't be between pancakes or oatmeal, try to have fun with your refeed day and eat things you enjoy. Just work on keeping your fat intake low, as this will help mitigate body fat storage. I would also consider adding in a GDA or nutrient partitioning supplement to help with digestion on your high carb day

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ Agreed with the above. Keep fat low and have fun with the carbs:)

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Thanks everyone. Ended up by having 3 whey shakes with blended oatmeal and then a 5 guys burger with a medium fry. Had my high doses fish oil and glycobol with it. Going 2 weeks without a carb up then going to do an oatmeal sweet potatoe and rice carbup Thanks evryone

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone. Ended up by having 3 whey shakes with blended oatmeal and then a 5 guys burger with a medium fry. Had my high doses fish oil and glycobol with it. Going 2 weeks without a carb up then going to do an oatmeal sweet potatoe and rice carbup Thanks evryone
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. For future reference, if you're trying to do a high carb refeed, I would skip the high fat burger and fries IMO. Depending on your goals, I would aim for foods with significantly lower fat content, and higher carbs for a refeed day. How are you liking glycobol? Have you used any other GDA products?

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. For future reference, if you're trying to do a high carb refeed, I would skip the high fat burger and fries IMO. Depending on your goals, I would aim for foods with significantly lower fat content, and higher carbs for a refeed day. How are you liking glycobol? Have you used any other GDA products?
I love glycobol. The I love how there is basically zero blows. Even if I have a home made weight gainer. The shoulder pumps I get with it are amazing. Makes my poops green but they come out easy it may work different for others but it worked for me. Your body gets used to it those. So after about 3 weeks take a week off. But if it's just for high carb days then always use it

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards

keep the protein high, fats low. that being said, i know cakes, pancakes , basically anything tasty is high in carbs AND fat but i think its important to still have something you enjoy. maybe not an entire cake, burger, etc but make sure you still enjoy your meal while being relatively responsible :) . Mentally burning out will ruin your overall motivation and progress

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
keep the protein high, fats low. that being said, i know cakes, pancakes , basically anything tasty is high in carbs AND fat but i think its important to still have something you enjoy. maybe not an entire cake, burger, etc but make sure you still enjoy your meal while being relatively responsible :) . Mentally burning out will ruin your overall motivation and progress
Mini cut is over ahahah dropped 12 lbs. now bulkin for 6 months

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Mini cut is over ahahah dropped 12 lbs. now bulkin for 6 months
just in time for s ummer i see :) bulk times are such fun times. im leaning out now. sucks to shred during the winter. im an idiot sigh....

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
White bagels, love them and doesn't send me into a carb coma.

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Out of curiosity but do you truly need a refeed from a body standpoint or is it more for your brain/motivation?

I also started dieting with an intention to follow a keto diet high fat, mod to high protein and low carbs. After a few days of good intentions and tracking everything I realised that it was impossible for me to hit my fat macros so ended up with a high protein, mid to low fat (mostly from proteins) and low to no carbs. So far has given me excellent results as I have lost more than 20kgs since mid October. Now for the last couple of weeks only I have started to 'relax' and enjoy a normal family dinner on saturdays -ie tonight I am having home made pizza (integral) and probably a beer or two. But at the beginning I did little to none refeed.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Refeed helps reset leptin signals so your body doesn't adapt to lesser caloric intake. Also helps your brain. And your soul, really. Who doesn't love an AYCE refeed day?

Oriza7

Oriza7

Awards
Refeed helps reset leptin signals so your body doesn't adapt to lesser caloric intake. Also helps your brain. And your soul, really. Who doesn't love an AYCE refeed day?
I think my refeed day turned into a cheat day. Had pizza for lunch and a huge triple burger and fries for dinner. Been cutting since January however and shredded lots of lbs to get ready for the summer. I believe my body and mind needed this cheat day. Seriously. Just got up after a nap and feel absolutely refreshed.

Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth

Awards
Great thread. I would choose the single source of carbs you crave the most. For me that would be Beer lol.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can someone give me advice on a refeed? Is it one meal or one day?

My general carb intake is 150-200g a day, I'm 93kgs 10% BF or so.
My diet isn't that clean, but I notice I struggle always on lower calories.

I bought frozen chips low fat, pancakes low fat, rice cakes, pretzels, low fat yogurt ice cream etc

No idea what I should aim for in 1 meal? It's hard to find low fat options, use to have 97% fat free pizza but they stopped making it ?

Thanks.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can someone give me advice on a refeed? Is it one meal or one day?

My general carb intake is 150-200g a day, I'm 93kgs 10% BF or so.
My diet isn't that clean, but I notice I struggle always on lower calories.

I bought frozen chips low fat, pancakes low fat, rice cakes, pretzels, low fat yogurt ice cream etc

No idea what I should aim for in 1 meal? It's hard to find low fat options, use to have 97% fat free pizza but they stopped making it ?

Thanks.
It is a full day. You should go to maintenance cals or slightly above. It depends on how deep of a deficit you are in.

You should keep protein at 1 gram/lb of body weight, keep carbs to a minimum and eat the rest of your cals in carbs.

Oriza7

Oriza7

Awards
It is a full day. You should go to maintenance cals or slightly above. It depends on how deep of a deficit you are in.

You should keep protein at 1 gram/lb of body weight, keep carbs to a minimum and eat the rest of your cals in carbs.
Does that apply if your on a keto diet when its strictly low carb all week?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does that apply if your on a keto diet when its strictly low carb all week?
I'm not well versed on keto, but I would think refeeding while on keto would be pointless. I would think that single day would take you out of ketosis, which is the state you want to be in. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Oriza7

Oriza7

Awards
I'm not well versed on keto, but I would think refeeding while on keto would be pointless. I would think that single day would take you out of ketosis, which is the state you want to be in. Just a thought, I could be wrong.
Yeah, just started it and trying to learn as much as possible. There are 3 types and the one im interested is CKD or Cyclic Ketogenic Diet which calls for minimal carbs and high fat throughout the week with 1 day of refeed or carb load.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is what you want right here:

[video=youtube;3yDPpc1Yazs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDPpc1Yazs[/video]
[video=youtube;REAxeTWo1QM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAxeTWo1QM[/video]

Also if you read the Keto Book by Lyle McDonald Refeeds are essential on a keto diet especially during long bouts of being in ketosis. the effects of carbs have benefits for ones t3, leptin, and hormone levels regardless of being in a deficit or using it to gain. The extra boost in calories can have effects on the metabolism and aid fatloss, or be a good tool to add kcals for a bulk. I highly suggest you look into getting that book

Another famous contest prep coach Dave Palumbo has clients eat a full cheat day or even a prolonged cheat meal (2-3 meals) to help restore glycogen stores from being in a weekly keto based diet.

if you ever look up Skiploading, this is another form of refeeding by Ken "Skip" Hill. Actually was very successful in a lot of his clients leading up to the stage and in offseason (keto and non-keto) depending on the individuals metabolism and how they respond to carb based or fat based diets.

and a good video on carb meabolism

[video=youtube;4T05SZ5JcwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T05SZ5JcwA[/video]

Oriza7

Oriza7

Awards
This is what you want right here:

Also if you read the Keto Book by Lyle McDonald Refeeds are essential on a keto diet especially during long bouts of being in ketosis. the effects of carbs have benefits for ones t3, leptin, and hormone levels regardless of being in a deficit or using it to gain. The extra boost in calories can have effects on the metabolism and aid fatloss, or be a good tool to add kcals for a bulk. I highly suggest you look into getting that book

Another famous contest prep coach Dave Palumbo has clients eat a full cheat day or even a prolonged cheat meal (2-3 meals) to help restore glycogen stores from being in a weekly keto based diet.

if you ever look up Skiploading, this is another form of refeeding by Ken "Skip" Hill. Actually was very successful in a lot of his clients leading up to the stage and in offseason (keto and non-keto) depending on the individuals metabolism and how they respond to carb based or fat based diets.

and a good video on carb meabolism

Excellent! Great info here. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

mccollums

Awards
What are ways people are trying to do this and stay on a clean , higher quality diet? Gluten free, and choosing foods that have a lower chance to have an allergenic or immune response?

Most of the higher quality carbs I eat are enhanced with fat and lots of it (ghee, olive oil, coconut oil) .. sweet potatoes ( orange, japenese, purple), acorn squash (w/honey), butternut squash, yucca root,

Thinking maybe a tapioca, white rice, and/or arrowroot bread/muffin? Use apple sauce to keep bread/muffins moist and just a little ghee or coconut oil? Even add cricket flour for more protein.

My ex wife ran half marathons and I used to make her "cardio" muffins.. I used to mix up the flours ( coocnut, almond, tapoica, arrowroot, or white rice flour) coconut oil for MCTs, eggs, ghee for taste, honey and/or maple syrup for sweeteners etc... etc.. They worked really well for her and caused much less GI stress then the standard bagel type stuff distance runners eat in the morning before training... Would be an interesting challenge to make them tasty and keep them lower fat. In theory, you could probably use a mix like this for pancakes and waffles too.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Should I time my carb refeed within a 6 hour window around training? I thought I could eat 300-400g carbs 3 hours before training, and afterwards.

I'm basically got low fat oven chips(less fat than sweet potatoes), pretzels, cereal, fat free mango sorbet, pancakes blah blah blah unsure weather to go boring aka rice, oats.

Just deciding weather to spread or across the day or focus on 80-90% around my training.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't over complicate it. Enjoy the refeed and try and keep fats on the lower end.

Do you get paid to stay fit year around? This is a hobby for the majority of people on this board.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Should I time my carb refeed within a 6 hour window around training? I thought I could eat 300-400g carbs 3 hours before training, and afterwards.

I'm basically got low fat oven chips(less fat than sweet potatoes), pretzels, cereal, fat free mango sorbet, pancakes blah blah blah unsure weather to go boring aka rice, oats.

Just deciding weather to spread or across the day or focus on 80-90% around my training.
If I was paid, I wouldn't be asking on here, haha.

I generally don't diet, and sit around 11% all year. I want to get to 6-8% tho, so figured I'd start researching some simple diet tools, and maybe...just maybe add some cardio. ?

High carb, low fat day. I don't count calories or marcos, but I generally max out at 200-300g on an avg day mostly from rice. I'll aim for 600-800g of carbs!

Thanks. :)

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to point out to anyone who's been following this thread, there's a great article from press on cheat days that discusses carb refeeding that is worth a read.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That was a decent read