The Importance of Chewing

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any info on whether chewing for a long time actually helps to increase absorbtion? I would think the digestive enzymes and acid in our digestive tract would be more than adequate for breaking down larger particles of food, but it is hard to find anything scholarly on the net.

perfect270

Awards
Does anyone have any info on whether chewing for a long time actually helps to increase absorbtion? I would think the digestive enzymes and acid in our digestive tract would be more than adequate for breaking down larger particles of food, but it is hard to find anything scholarly on the net.
I have seen studies done where a cooked piece of beef was placed in a beaker of mimicked digestive enzymes and like 36 hours later it was still not broken down all the way. I did an experiment for a while where after I cooked my chicken breasts I would shred them. I don't know if it made much of a difference other than I could get down more chicken breast. I think increasing fiber intake and water intake will help your body out significantly. At least I started noticing cleaner gains and less bloating when the fiber went from about 25g a day to about 40

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

There once was a thread asking how to keep on being able to stand tuna...one guy said he justs stuffs chunks in his mouth and swallows! I always thought that the body wouldn't absorb it....if someone posts that this method is actually cool to use then I know I will start doing it!

ILoco

Awards
I have read that chewing triggers the body's digestive processes. It also gives releases hormones that are in the "full stomach" chain (i.e. lets you know you're full faster). It takes the stomach alone almost 15 min. to signal that you're no longer hungry... i'm not talking about the pain of overeating either, I'm saying no longer hungry).

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes when I gotta force feed myself carbs I'll throw some rice in the back of my throat, take a sip of like gatorade, etc. and then swallow. Kinda like taking a lot of pills at once. Other times I'll throw tuna, meat, whatever in a blender and then make a steak shake..lol. A hell of a lot easier to drink my food then chew if I'm already full.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually just knock the cow on the head with a big baseball bat. Then I cut it with a saw between the the Short Loin and The Rib. From there I start a camp fire(when its nice out) and I put a big stainless steel grid over the top of the fire a throw my cow on top. About 2 hours later(it takes a long time to cook so much cow!) I eat it by cuts. I just cut around the bones and suck the meat down. I usually only chew it a few times.