Diet for formerly obese

strickamania

Awards
So here's the situation, 7 years ago I weighed 300 pounds, with the help of ECA, hiit and a very low calorie diet of 1000-1500 a day, I went down to 175. Well, over the past year or so I slowly got back up to 250 pounds. None of the same methods are working, ive tried the low cal, keto cycling, even sarms such as ostarine and cardarine, when i go all out I just maintain but when i try to raise cals to 2000, i actually gained bodyfat. Has anyone been in the same boat of being formerly obese, and what finally worked for you?

tstak

Awards
250 >> 165 >> 240 >> 195

Intermittent Fasting with Flexible Dieting has worked wonders for me. I also switched out of keto to high carb high protein lower fats. Results have been amazing and energy levels much better than before.

245c 55f 205p

I took a whole different approach and instead of focusing on diet, i focused on my relationship with food, overall health, habits, and making it a lifestyle. I love food so i wanted to re-tune my metabolism to allow me to freedom to eat all the foods i love and enjoy. I look better now than i did at 165 IMO.

I also created certain day to day things to make dieting overall easier. For example i have 2 protein shakes a day which allows for quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to making macros fit. I create and setup meals that are easy to cook as well as prep. Last but not least i have a no restriction policy, i allow myself all foods.

I love gummie bears so i have that everyday postworkout but after 2 weeks i dont eat them anymore. I bought 5 tubs of ice cream than ate 1 tub and had to force myself to eat the other 4. Once you allow yourself no restrictions you tend to not crave them anymore.

Shoot me a PM if you like some help and to come up with a strategy, would love to help another guy out.

strickamania

Awards
Thank you for the help, could you recommend a specific intermittent fasting program and maybe some certain supplements? Right now I'm just taking a mutli, fish oil, l-carnatine, and whey shakes

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, congratulations on the weight loss. That is a huge difference there between those two numbers.

Second, leave that experience in the past. Often times we can unintentionally self sabatoge by making comparrisons to what worked before and then get frustrated that it isn't working the exact same way again.

My advice, stick with the basics. Weight loss is essentially a math problem. As long as you eat less, weight loss will happen. Now it gets a bit more nuanced and complicated but this at a certain level, but for now just focus on this. Stat away from extreme deficits also. While the do work, the boucle back from them can be hard for a lot of folks to control. Keep it slow and steady here.

So what do you do? You have 2 options which are really based on which works best for you, personality and adherence wise. First, set a calorie goal and some macro goals and try and hit them. The alternative is to do habit stuff, like increase veggie intake, water intake, protein intake, healthy foods, etc and not stress over calories and macros as much. If you are the type that like to feel in control and enjoys the measuring and data tracking, then spend a week or two tracking your intake and trying to hit those macro goals. Don't switch it up from day to day. Don't stress weight at all during this time. A lot of people have a habit of making adjustments here because they see the scale go up or down. The goal here is to just establish a baseline to work with. Consistency is what is important. On the other hand, if your more into the habit stuff and don't want to get bigger down with details.. then simply try and clean up your diet some. Increase water intake, increase protein portions in meals, cut some carbs out the plate and replace with veggies and work on avoiding junk food and stick with the more commonly known "clean" foods.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Well first of all congrats on the discipline but somewhere along the line you seem to forget about it and you gain it all back. If you keep your good healthy eating habits for a bit longer, I'm sure you'll continue losing weight. Remember, fitness is a lifestyle not a hobby. You can't just stick to it for a few months and then stop and expect to look the same. Carbs cycling is great, something you can do along the way also is detox. I'm sure your most likely bloating and have excess residue and toxins throughout your digestive system.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1st off, let me say congratulations on your losses. That takes a lot of discipline.

Now onto the bad news. Where I believe you went wrong is how severe you cut your
calories.

Assuming that you are a male..? if so, then 1000 to 1500 calories per day was just too low
and eventually you crashed your metabolism. Which is why you ballooned back up from
175 to 250.

1000 calories per day is insanely low for any aged male.

The other thing to remember is once you've been obese, there is no going back to eating
the way you used to. It is no longer a diet you are going on, but changing your way of
eating for the rest of your life.

Personally i have gone from 230 to 160, and have maintained the losses within 5 lbs over
the last 3 years.

The way i have done this is by not looking at myself as being on a diet, but modifying what
worked in the beginning to lose the weight and gradually introducing a couple things that
enjoy back into my diet, while keeping the majority of the diet the same as it was while I
was losing.

Now all i have to do when i want to lose weight is slightly adjust my diet, and cut out a
few things, and i can quickly drop 5 lbs again because I'm already 90% there with my diet.

Also once you have been obese, and have lost weight, you will always have to exercise and
do cardio to maintain the losses. If i even consider stop doing cardio I will gain weight right back.

Once you have those extra fat cells there are always there. When you lose weight you don't not
lose the fat cells, All you do is shrink them, and they are waiting on the sideline for you to mess
up, so they can fill back up and make you fat again.

The only way to eliminate or reduce the amount of fat cells you have is through liposuction.

strickamania

Awards
Thank you, yes I am male. Here's the issue though which after more research makes me think there's a thyroid or medical issue, last month my "net" calories per day were between 1800 and 2300 and I ate no processed foods, and gained 1/2 inch on my waist.