Calorie Cycling... thoughts?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Any efficacy to it, either for weight loss or bulking? I've read some conflicting advice, some people say it's a great way to keep the body guessing and to support an increase in metabolic capacity... is there any truth to that, or is calorie deficit/excess the only thing that really matters? Can you adapt to the same calories every day, even in deficit, to the extent that this would hinder weight loss vs mixing it up every day (while still remaining in weekly deficit)?

worker13

Awards
when I reduced my callories I am not feeling well, so I decided to eat a lot of to 12 and then eating less and less, an after 18 nothing. It helps me keep my body and mind on high level.

gator67

gator67

Awards
Yes, I believe after you start seeing diminished results. Everyone is individual, so that point varies, but cycling is an excellent way to maximize the efficacy of a phase, be it a cut or a bulk. Doesn't have to be too drastic, maybe a 500 calorie variance staggering throughout the week. Keep track and have weekly calorie goals.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
Have you thought about carb cycling? I notice a difference when I reduce my carb intake, but keep my calories and protein up.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I have done a bit of carb cycling in the past, and currently follow a kind of hybridised CKD/TKD approach, high fat during the week (with Karbloyn intra workout), and then one high carb day at the weekend. It's worked very well for recomping, have definitely leaned out some, but seem to have stalled... probably around 11-12% BF now. I've been eating around maintenance calories though, and I never wanted to lose much weight.

Actually at a stage now where I don't know if I should bulk or cut, so curious as to best strategy and approach.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
I've never been too into keeping track of my diet. Being married and having 2 kids, it can be difficult to eat clean and still be able to enjoy some goodies with the kids. Being deployed, I've finally set my mind on getting my body fat down and leaning out. I've done extremely well, but still have a long way to go. Ideally I'd like to be around 8-12%. I've never had a six pack, so I don't know exactly how low my body needs to get before I finally see them, lol. It's been a struggle, especially with all the unhealthy food they have here, but just being able to see the progress I've made in such a short time is making it worth it.

I wish I could help you out more, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for any tips that I can use in the future.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
My sister has two kids, so I know how much work that entails. I don't know how I'd do it tbh. There isn't really a set bf% where you will see your abs... it differs for everyone. My uppers show quite easily, but my lowers are just terrible. That's common though. All you can do is keep chipping away... progress is invariably always slow, but if you're gaining confidence from little victories, it will only help. Just keep doing what you're doing, but don't be afraid to try a new approach if you stall. I make this mistake myself, often carrying on doing the same thing just because it's worked up to a point, and then you end up stuck in a rut. It's what made me ask about calorie cycling, as I've heard good things and figured it might be an effective approach. As with anything though, you don't know until you try it for yourself.

AnthroLats

Awards
I've been having a surprising amount of success calorie cycling lately. 500 below maintenance on off days, 500 above otherwise. Weight hasn't changed but definition and strength are improving weekly. Size is a bit of a slower process though...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^hmm I might have to try that. Right now i only have one off day though.

David147

Awards
Yes. I save 300-400 calories during some days and consume them whenever I feel like. I can lose fat eating 1900 calories ( I exercise a lot). I consume 1600 calories for 2 days and eat about 2200 after. I feel satisfied for days and well as long as you eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean meats and some grains and junk food, it's easy to eat WAY less which you have may already figured out.