Too much fish?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Is there anything I should worry about if I'm getting 95% of my daily fat intake strictly from salmon?

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
too much of ANYTHING cant be good.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Is this gonna ruin your day?. Do you dictate everything you eat by what people say on message boards?.
I don’t understand what the hell your deal is. Every time I ask a question you have to chime in with some smartass answer. I was asking because unlike some people I don’t think I know everything, and we can always learn something from someone else. I asked because maybe somebody has read something about it that could help me. From now on, when I ask a question or you feel the need to say anything to me just keep your opinion to yourself. Or better yet, go to bb.com where people like you hang out and bitch each other out. I don’t need your negative attitude so just stay the hell out of my business.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Is there anything I should worry about if I'm getting 95% of my daily fat intake strictly from salmon?
The simple answer to your queary is no. Variety is always good though. I would try to include some saturated fats as they have a positive influence on test levels.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Yeh Lean I was thinking that. When my lecithin granules get here I'll make some adjustments and also try to add some boiled eggs here and there. Boiled eggs...mmmmmm...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'd agree that variety is best not only for your body but for your sanity.

taffer

Awards
salmon sure tastes awesome (Fresh stuff, not so much the canned stuff) but i dont think i could live without my PB

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
possibly could be a problem regarding the large quantities of vitamin D in fish oil. It's not water soluble, so it can buld to unhealthy levels. If yoiu're just eating a lot of fish, though, you are probably fine. Large amounts of supplemental fish oil would be more of a concern. Other than that would be the unhealthy mercury levels in some fish like swordfish and (I think) mackerel. Even so, I don't really think I can get enough fish, and I worry very little about it considering other things I ingest.

Cosmo

Awards
Though I know salmon contains just about the lowest amount of mercury I wouldn't get THAT much fat intake from it (farm raised usually have higher of both PCBs and mercury). Throw some olive oil in your protein shakes, eat some avocados, spread some butter on your toast (Real butter is great in decent amounts), if not butter try coconut oil, ground flax seed in your cereal is good.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Though I know salmon contains just about the lowest amount of mercury I wouldn't get THAT much fat intake from it (farm raised usually have higher of both PCBs and mercury). Throw some olive oil in your protein shakes, eat some avocados, spread some butter on your toast (Real butter is great in decent amounts), if not butter try coconut oil, ground flax seed in your cereal is good.
Good suggestion, add some coconut oil! People need more saturated fats!! Salmon does contain high meythylmercury levels (unless farm grown) all "bigger" fish do. This is only avoidable with small fish like sardines. Also safflower and rice bran oil raise HDL so that's always good too.

Steven, it's none of my biz, but I sure wish you and T-bone would start to be nice to one another again. You should really know better than to engage him like that, you know the Truth.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Like I said, I don't understand what his deal is. He started it with my first post where I asked some questions and he's made unnecessary comments since then. I'm not a hostile person and didn't want to say anything. I'd much rather know what his deal is. Although Dr. D, I don't quite understand what you mean by "You should really know better than to engage him like that, you know the Truth." I don't know him at all, and what do you mean by 'the Truth'?
Thanks for the answers though guys. I mainly asked because of a post at Avant. By the way, Loki started a thread under Feedback about lecithin, praising it. What do you guys think? I ordered some from www.bulkfoods.com (97% phospholipids).

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Like I said, I don't understand what his deal is. He started it with my first post where I asked some questions and he's made unnecessary comments since then. I'm not a hostile person and didn't want to say anything. I'd much rather know what his deal is. Although Dr. D, I don't quite understand what you mean by "You should really know better than to engage him like that, you know the Truth." I don't know him at all, and what do you mean by 'the Truth'?
Thanks for the answers though guys. I mainly asked because of a post at Avant. By the way, Loki started a thread under Feedback about lecithin, praising it. What do you guys think? I ordered some from www.bulkfoods.com (97% phospholipids).
I take 6g's of lecithin a day for the record. Good stuff for liver, nerves and blood vessels. :thumbsup:

A fool shows his annoyance immediately, but a wise man overlooks many insults. That's a quote from Proverbs. If you are truely crowned, you know the Truth. Don't get me wrong, I have a temper. I got silly with a few jerks (not around here anymore) but I was wrong to do it and should have controlled myself. Just give him one more chance. If he attacks you again for no reason, I will personally defend you, for what it's worth, but I think it will improve from here.

T-bone, I don't know what this is really all about, and I'm not trying to play match maker. It's really none of my biz so feel free to tell me to F-off and I'll take my nose out of it. I always try to cut the new guys some slack, but like I said, maybe you know something I don't. I just don't like to see the fighting among members!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I was actually in Proverbs tonight intermittent with watching 'O' Brother where art thou?' I see where you're coming from; I should've held my peace. Have you noticed any enhanced fat loss with the inclusion of lecithin D? Loki seems to feel that it can contribute to some refeed thermogenesis. I just see it as a tasty fat with additional nutritional benefits (choline, serine, inositol...).

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I was actually in Proverbs tonight intermittent with watching 'O' Brother where art thou?' I see where you're coming from; I should've held my peace. Have you noticed any enhanced fat loss with the inclusion of lecithin D? Loki seems to feel that it can contribute to some refeed thermogenesis. I just see it as a tasty fat with additional nutritional benefits (choline, serine, inositol...).
Not really, I mostly use it to insure fat absorbtion when I use oils or PH's without eating a real meal. It is lipophilic, so technically it is a fat mobilizer, but it would take higher doses spread throughout the day I suppose to notice real fat loss.

Cosmo

Awards
If you're getting lethicin allow me to recommend something other than the liquid form, unless you plan on spoon feeding it. That crap is still stuck in the corners of my shaker bottle. Also, I eat a large amount of egg yolks a day (12) and took a nice dose of lethicin (around 12g) and got a wicked headache, luckily I had some benedryl on hand though.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
If you're getting lethicin allow me to recommend something other than the liquid form, unless you plan on spoon feeding it. That crap is still stuck in the corners of my shaker bottle. Also, I eat a large amount of egg yolks a day (12) and took a nice dose of lethicin (around 12g) and got a wicked headache, luckily I had some benedryl on hand though.
I agree, eat the yolks! The yolk is your friend!! If you eat more that 10g lecithin at one time be close to a bathroom though, that's why I said spread out the doses over the day. The liquid form is OK but hard to formulate like Cosmo said. I put liquid lec and 400iu dl-a-tocopherol acetate (vit.E) mixed with my flax and coconut oil at 1:5 ratio and oral syringe 15ml every morning. I use the 1200mg gels at work for my lunch vitamins. But spooning the granules is effective, and usually cheap. Never tried cooking w/ the gran but they say you can.

Cosmo

Awards
I agree, eat the yolks! The yolk is your friend!!
Glad to see you agree!! cause I LOVE eggs!, raw ones in my shakes, egg salad, scrambled with meat, hardboiled, egg shrimp, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes! :D
Mad love Bubba, mad love...

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I have a mad obsession with soft-boiled eggs. I agree as well: eat the yolks people.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Was it you DR.D who said to chew some tums before eating tuna, to avoid the mercury? If I ate tuna every day, would this help?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Was it you DR.D who said to chew some tums before eating tuna, to avoid the mercury? If I ate tuna every day, would this help?
Yes, I said it. Any base would be fine, Tums or even baking soda. Problem is, it works for heavy metals and metal salts, but methylated forms of Mercury are more fat soluble so Tums is not as effective. I do it anyway just because it's better than nothing.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i know this is kind of old, but I am curious about eating too much tuna fish. I eat regular Bumble Bee Tuna, a can a day. I checked out the FDA's findings, saying that tuna contains .35 ppm of mercury. here is that finding: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

i'm just curious, should i start easing off the tuna? when i read about the mercury levels i got kind of scared!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Cable - interesting link. I'm going to email that to Bobo. I had asked him the same question since I'm eating a can a day. He said this was way overblown. And that Matt D told him that albacore would be lower in Hg concentration since they swim lower in the ocean.

That link shows that chunk light is better than albacore for Hg levels.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
i know this is kind of old, but I am curious about eating too much tuna fish. I eat regular Bumble Bee Tuna, a can a day. I checked out the FDA's findings, saying that tuna contains .35 ppm of mercury. here is that finding: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

i'm just curious, should i start easing off the tuna? when i read about the mercury levels i got kind of scared!
That number isn't bad at all. As long as your over all health is good, the body can detox that fast enough to not be an issue

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
D - question. How would a base go about neutralizing a metal like Hg? Wouldn't we need a complexing agent?

I'm thinking this is present as elemental Hg, not in ion form in the body. So, it wouldn't be that reactive.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks Dr. D. I'm going to switch to chunk light tuna, it has less mercury levels (.13 ppm)
Better safe than sorry.
thanks again!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
D - question. How would a base go about neutralizing a metal like Hg? Wouldn't we need a complexing agent?

I'm thinking this is present as elemental Hg, not in ion form in the body. So, it wouldn't be that reactive.
The natural valence of Hg is +1 or +2, so it's charged. A base like calcium bicarbonate is too, but in the stomach the environment has Cl which is -1. So HgCl is formed which is less charged and much more water soluble. Taking a base just helps get it past the stomach and to the gut where it's basic anyway and wouldn't likely be absorbed.