how to lose weight quickly?????

merllin_2000

Awards
One of my good friends is wanting to lose as much weight as possible quickly. ( as all people do lol) but is not interested in gaining muscle at least not much. I have always been interested in gaining muscle so i am not sure if much of my advise would be useful. I told him to eat about 2000 calories a day, with 1 hr low intensity cardio a day. What would be the right fat/carb/protein ratio to this as well, I also advised to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 1-3 meals a day. Any help would be appreciated

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If he just wants to lose weight just tell him not to eat.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
that won't work Funny.. metabolism starts to shut down

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
brilliant post!
even more brilliant than that I hear that Hollywood diet will suck the weight right off of you.

Seriously though, what are his goals? Tell him to get his bodyfat calibrated and he should take in roughly about 10 calories per pound of lean mass. I personally would go with a carb/fat/protein split of 20/20/60 but I dont like carbs too awful much.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
if it's only going to be for a short time then drop ALL carbs.

but EAT small amounts of protein & fats regularly throughout the day.

maybe add some lettuce but that's it!!!!!

Jag

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
Use something like Twin Peak's Carb-Cycling diet (see MindAndMuscle.net - current and back-issues) or Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2 (UD2). Adding anabolics into the mix will make things way hella easier to achieve. Eat enough protein. Do a significant amount of cardio. Use a decent amount of fish oil. Get some trimax or T3 in there (since DS' uncoupler won't be out right away). Adding Lean Xtreme, Sesathin, and Glucophase XR will only speed things up. It depends how much money, in addition to dedication, he wants to commit to get the job done.

If he doesn't want to follow this sort of advice - if he "can't" - then he is not serious about losing weight, and he should stop complaining and buy a box of fudgesicles.

Another idea -- and this could well be the best one -- is to get him to sign up with Bobo, and just do exactly as he is told. Bam. Happy friend, a little skinnier in the wallet, a lot skinnier under the ribs.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Strateg0s,
Have you ever used Twin Peak's Cyclical Carb Diet?

And Twin Peak,
Should you be already at a "athletic" level BF ie: 15% or lower before using this diet or could you use it at higher BF's

patrol

Awards
Ultimate dieta 2.0 by Lyle is the best way to lost fat

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Another idea -- and this could well be the best one -- is to get him to sign up with Bobo, and just do exactly as he is told. Bam. Happy friend, a little skinnier in the wallet, a lot skinnier under the ribs.
:goodpost:

Bobo's program will teach him sound nutrition without him having to explore for himself and flounder for months.

I have only heard good things about Twin Peak's program also, but I am not as much of a fan of UD2.0 anymore :)

patrol

Awards
In my opinion UD is the best diet. I lost as much fast as I could without burning my muscle

Greyvolk

Awards
ud2 is an unrealistic approach to dieting.
I dont agree with the full body workouts,
they are more for marathon runners than
bodybuilders. I would also rate a diet on how many people actually were able to stick to it.
From the feedback that I have heard ud2 deserves a 2 out of ten on stickability.
To lose weight fast a ckd will do it ever time using low reps heavy weights and moderate cardio at least three times a week. To lose quickly carbload every two weeks.....

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I hesitate to advise the use of weight loss supplements until someone can diet down without them. At that point they are moderately useful, but otherwise, no.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im on a CKD diet right now and its working really well. You have to be ultra-strict, especially during the week. I'm down a good 5lbs of fat, strength is slowly rising and I feel great.

However, its not the only way. Doing things right, it will take a good 16-20 weeks to go from 'bulked out' to 'really ripped', and I wouldnt want to be in ketosis for that long.

In retrospect, I should have started with a good, clean cutting diet and used CKD for the last 8 weeks.

To lose quickly carbload every two weeks.....
Im new to the diet, but IMO carbloading every two weeks is a fast way to lose strength (at least for me). You have to skip the first carbup when you start the diet, and that second week was horrible, I had a TON of energy and could do cardio forever, but I couldnt lift sh*t.

BV

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In retrospect, I should have started with a good, clean cutting diet and used CKD for the last 8 weeks.
:thumbsup:

If you learn how to do correctly you won't even need the CKD (although carb depletion in later stages does have benefits) all the while increasing or at least maintaining strength while feeling good and being healthy at the same time.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hesitate to advise the use of weight loss supplements until someone can diet down without them. At that point they are moderately useful, but otherwise, no.
Great advice. I wish more people realized this.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If you learn how to do correctly you won't even need the CKD (although carb depletion in later stages does have benefits) all the while increasing or at least maintaining strength while feeling good and being healthy at the same time.
Im realizing that now! I've bulked for nearly 3 years straight and I was so *afraid* of cutting. Seriously, it took me at least 2 months just to mentally prepare myself to fight my 'fear of smallness':D

Im going on vacation next week so Ill have to break the CKD, I'm considering ramping up my carb intake slowly the following week and going on a more balanced cutting diet after that. If anything, the change in regimen has given me a renewed focus (I can see my abs again - woohoo!!:)), and Im more motivated than Ive been in a long time.

Bobo - do you think it is OK to switch diet plans now that Ive already been on CKD for 5 weeks? I am making good progress, just want to do things the best way possible. Im all about preserving LBM:)

BV

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are going on vacation and going to stop the diet then you come back with a more carb based diet and slowly taper calories and macro's. The key to these diets is slowly dropping calories on a weekly basis as needed. THe drop in calories is also relatively small (something like 100-300 calories/day depending on your size). This way you can start out relatively high and slowly over 16 weeks drop the cals/macros while maintaining optimal fat burning while retaining muscle. In the latter stages you can drop carbs for the asthetic effects and also prepare for supercompensation when you carb up (for show and/or pics).

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
although i agree with BigV's approach as i have also successfully used a CKD for fat loss i think everyone is missing the word "quickly" in merllin's original post.

IMO although there are many negative effects like no energy, loss of muscle etc. but the "quickest" way to lose weight would be to drop all carbs.

i personally wouldn't recommend this approach but i think it would still be the quickest way to lose weight. :)

that said though i've seen quicker weight loss in friends who ate small amounts of protein & fat compared to not eating at all....................so don't starve yourself!!!!

Jag

Irongame

Awards
Bobo, let me understand this then. Your approach to dieting down is based on balanced nutrient profile, Adequate protein and proper fats, as well as low GI carbs, and proper pre and post workout nutrient timing? Am I correct in this assumption, or do you actually suggest certain diets such as carb cycling or ketosis?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bobo, let me understand this then. Your approach to dieting down is based on balanced nutrient profile, Adequate protein and proper fats, as well as low GI carbs, and proper pre and post workout nutrient timing?
Basically, yes. Everyone wants to make it more complicated than it has to be. And I don't only use low GI at all. I have some rather moderate carbs in there but I look at things from a total meal perspective rather than its individual components.

The body actually releases and oxidizes fats at a failry set rate so anyone saying you can lose more fat in a given peroid of time by dropping or eliminating carbs doesn't understand nutrition or metabolic process's that coincide with it.

You can lose more "weight" quicker with some diets but fat loss really isn't increased unless using metabolic enhancers/drugs. As I've said before, total fat loss is not accomplished in days, but weeks and months. Also the problem with diets that tend to drop "weight" quicker is that they usually end up increasing muscle loss and decreasing fat loss over a long peroid of time.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Bobo,

i'm assuming your term "metabolic enhancers/drugs" you mean amphetamines or other recreational drugs? :think:

the people i've seen this dramatic fat loss i was referring to were involved in the nightclub scene just as heavily as the Gym scene so i think (repeat, i think............don't want to incriminate anyone :)) they could have been using these types of "enhancers".

i also know all one person ate was tinned sardines, steamed chicken & whey protein shakes. he looked tired & basically unhealthy in the face (which is why i'd never recommend it) but he was shredded & muscular.

i completely agree with your approach & have directed many people this way. personally (for fat loss) i like a strict CKD with a carb up on every fourth day. :thumbsup: haven't done it for a while but i know it works well for when i do cut again.

Jag

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NHE plan has worked really well for me. Of course I enjoy lower carbs and increase strength and lose fat on them, buit I use to be 311 lbs too. I usually get no more than 100 a day and carb up every 3 and 4 day

Head Nurse

Awards
Hi I'm new to the board and I need some help. I'm a 36 yr old female trying to lose belly fat. I currently left weights 3 time a week and do cardio about 3 - 4 time a week. Even though I'm told I'm looking better I still have the 'jello' effect around my midsection. Any help would be great!!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Merlin, one thing that definitely seems to be missing, and it might just be an oversight, is weight training. He shouldn't just be doing cardio.

UD2.0 is supposed to be for people under either 15 or 12%, I don't recall which. I did 5 weeks of it with great results. It wasn't very hard for me to do, though the workouts are not enjoyable, which sucks because I love weight training. When you start getting low bf I think it can be a good tool to use, but not to start out with.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Bobo, I'm finishing a Master's degree right now, so I am broke, but once I start making $$$ I'll be hitting you up. I can't wait. Hopefully by September.

darius

Hi I'm new to the board and I need some help. I'm a 36 yr old female trying to lose belly fat. I currently left weights 3 time a week and do cardio about 3 - 4 time a week. Even though I'm told I'm looking better I still have the 'jello' effect around my midsection. Any help would be great!!!
If you have your diet in check the fat should come off since you are doing alot of cardio. If the fat clings to your midsection, you may want to try Designer Supps Lean Xtreme or for a topical, get Avant Labs Ab-Solved. It targets and eliminates cortisol, which may be responsible for the midsection fat. Also, the midsection is one of the harderst/last places to go when burning fat, so if your diet is in check, have patience, it will go away.

Head Nurse

Awards
If you have your diet in check the fat should come off since you are doing alot of cardio. If the fat clings to your midsection, you may want to try Designer Supps Lean Xtreme or for a topical, get Avant Labs Ab-Solved. It targets and eliminates cortisol, which may be responsible for the midsection fat. Also, the midsection is one of the harderst/last places to go when burning fat, so if your diet is in check, have patience, it will go away.
Hey thanks for the info!!!! My diet is in check so I'll try the supps. Has anyone out there used these supps before?? Is one better then the other?? Any side effects that I should know about??

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the info!!!! My diet is in check so I'll try the supps. Has anyone out there used these supps before?? Is one better then the other?? Any side effects that I should know about??

If you're on birth control I DO NOT recommend Lean Extreme...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Head Nurse - I'd give serious consideration to trying Sesathin (the label holds no gender-s.pecific warnings) & making sure you're getting your Omega-3s (EPA / DHA).

Toad - the Lean Xtreme label has no warning about use w/ birth control - have I missed something?

Head Nurse

Awards
Head Nurse - I'd give serious consideration to trying Sesathin (the label holds no gender-s.pecific warnings) & making sure you're getting your Omega-3s (EPA / DHA).

Toad - the Lean Xtreme label has no warning about use w/ birth control - have I missed something?
I've got some of the Sesathin - but I'm having a hard time getting past the taste:eek: I seem to gag as soon as it hits the back of my throat! Any idea how to get past that??

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've got some of the Sesathin - but I'm having a hard time getting past the taste:eek: I seem to gag as soon as it hits the back of my throat! Any idea how to get past that??
Ah god. This would be too easy!

lol

Try taking a swig and then chasing it with some OJ or diet coke/pepsi or something.

Head Nurse

Awards
Ah god. This would be too easy!

lol

Try taking a swig and then chasing it with some OJ or diet coke/pepsi or something.

Might be fun, but never easy :lol:

I'll give the chaser a try though - that is when I atempt it again.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established

If you look at the product description on Sledge's website, it mentions that due to the slight anti-e properties of Lean Xtreme that women on birth control should either not take it or use condoms and other precautions while using it to guard against unwanted pregnancy.

From the site (http://www.designersupps.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=6):
“WARNING: Because of the mild anti-estrogen propeties of 7-OH(tm), use of this product by females may decrease the effectiveness of oral and transdermal contraceptives (A.K.A. “The Pill� and “The Patch�). If you normally rely on oral or transdermal contraceptives as your only method of birth control, you should use an additional form of birth control, such as condoms, to help prevent pregnancy while using this product.�

BP

Head Nurse

Awards
If you look at the product description on Sledge's website, it mentions that due to the slight anti-e properties of Lean Xtreme that women on birth control should either not take it or use condoms and other precautions while using it to guard against unwanted pregnancy.

From the site (http://www.designersupps.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=6):
“WARNING: Because of the mild anti-estrogen propeties of 7-OH(tm), use of this product by females may decrease the effectiveness of oral and transdermal contraceptives (A.K.A. “The Pill� and “The Patch�). If you normally rely on oral or transdermal contraceptives as your only method of birth control, you should use an additional form of birth control, such as condoms, to help prevent pregnancy while using this product.�

BP
Thanks. I went to the link and took a look around to. I've got some ordered, so I'll give it a try.

buildmeup

Awards
One of my good friends is wanting to lose as much weight as possible quickly. ( as all people do lol) but is not interested in gaining muscle at least not much. I have always been interested in gaining muscle so i am not sure if much of my advise would be useful. I told him to eat about 2000 calories a day, with 1 hr low intensity cardio a day. What would be the right fat/carb/protein ratio to this as well, I also advised to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 1-3 meals a day. Any help would be appreciated
Tell your friend to do lots of cardio and to watch what he eats. Eat every couple hours to speed up metabolism. Check out www.findyourdetour.com for some great exercise tips.

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
NHE plan has worked really well for me. Of course I enjoy lower carbs and increase strength and lose fat on them, buit I use to be 311 lbs too. I usually get no more than 100 a day and carb up every 3 and 4 day
what is the NHE plan??