Milk in post workout protein shakes

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
Are there any negatives on using skim milk in a post workout protein shake?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Milk is great period. Good article BTW.

Cosmo

Awards
I'd say maybe skim milk is okay PWO cause fat slows digestion and you just dont really need fat as much as you need carbs and fast digesting protein PWO. Also milk contains casein which is a slower digesting protein but I suppose it in such small amounts that it wouldnt hinder you too much. So yeah maybe skim milk, I dont really know though. :)

Chunky

Awards
It's okay, and with some atw chocolate protein, it taste like a neste quik. Sooo good ! I always have the impression of cheating when taking this shake :)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Another important point about milk: it causes a rather pronounced insulin response. The insulin response it causes is far more than the sugar content would suggest. That is another reason why milk is great for PWO.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Mixing milk with Muscle Milk is SO good, but I gave up that protein for ON's 100% whey.

gizzle

gizzle

Awards
I read lactose slows absorption. So I use lactose free milk.

taffer

Awards
actually its the casein

also about muscle milk, i remember bobo saying its not good because of the large amount of saturated fats + high insulin index = fat storage!

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually its the casein

also about muscle milk, i remember bobo saying its not good because of the large amount of saturated fats + high insulin index = fat storage!

That's why I gave it up, it was hard switching but when it came to the price and fat content of muscle milk I realized it wasn't really worth it.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
actually its the casein

I figure I may not get a response to this because the thread is pretty old but am giving it a shot anyway.....

Just my .02 but my understanding is that 80% of the saturated fats in muscle milk are actually derived from MCT's.... and MCT's typically do not turn to body fat but are burned as energy.....

Any thoughts? If I am way off base I wouldn't mind knowing now.... hahaha

Nevertheless, I have mostly heard that whey protein with some sort of juice (apple, tomato) is better due to the immediate absorption as compared to using milk.... any thoughts?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This has been covered a lot on this board. Please check out the Sticky about Nutritional Information.

Skim milk is wonderful post-workout. I see no negatives associated with it. When a situation at my facility is less than ideal I will sometimes just give my athletes 2 cups of milk and send them on their way.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I see no problem in using Skim Milk. It is all I buy, I use it after many workouts.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Skim milk/oats they are the cornerstones of my PWO and for that matter whole diet..I drink at least 6 cups of milk a day..I love it..

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
This has been covered a lot on this board. Please check out the Sticky about Nutritional Information.

Skim milk is wonderful post-workout. I see no negatives associated with it. When a situation at my facility is less than ideal I will sometimes just give my athletes 2 cups of milk and send them on their way.
Thanks for the help DieTrying!

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Amen brutha! I grind my oats up so they're fine like flour and damn is milk + oats and just about any flavor of whey good...

Skim milk/oats they are the cornerstones of my PWO and for that matter whole diet..I drink at least 6 cups of milk a day..I love it..

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You guys DO realise though that grinding up your oats makes them digest faster, right? Especially if your grind them into flour. You are basiclaly raising the glycemic index by grinding them up.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I've heard this argued back and forth but never thought anything was conclusive.

Hmmm......

You guys DO realise though that grinding up your oats makes them digest faster, right? Especially if your grind them into flour. You are basiclaly raising the glycemic index by grinding them up.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your teeth don't a good job of grinding oats. They do a terrible job at in in fact. Most of the time, when you eat raw oats, they just get a little soggy and folded before your swallow them. Your body then has to jump through hoops as it were to process them. Not only does it have to expend extra energy and take extra time breaking them down, but more of it winds up wasted. This actually helps with colon health.

Additionally, when you eat raw oats that have not been soaking in anything, your body has to use it's own water stores to process the oats. When you boil the oats, you do that work for your body. If you eat them raw, your body draws water from typically under the skin in order to process them.

Thus eating them raw like that can help reduce subcutaneous water retention. But this is true as long as you don't boil them. Just dropping them in a shake for a minute or two won't process them, so you'll still likely get this benefit.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Wow... good stuff! Thanks!

I grind em up and store them with a scoop of whey until I'm ready to drink. Then throw either milk or water in there, mix for a few seconds and chug away.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Do you have anything to prove this? All I have read is that corn when grounded is raised. Oats are not raised by tossing in a blender.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you have anything to prove this? All I have read is that corn when grounded is raised. Oats are not raised by tossing in a blender.
Do a search on oats and GI. I remember the thread. It was proven that grinding them had no effect. It was corn that was effected.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
either way i'm still grinding them and eating em that way. just too delicious not to eat now that i've started!

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Do a search on oats and GI. I remember the thread. It was proven that grinding them had no effect. It was corn that was effected.

I don't need to search for something that I know is proven. I was asking for the other side of the argument... as I have not read anything that grinding oats raises the GI.