Sweet tooth

a312

Awards
Hi all,

I go thru phases where i get cravings for sugar n il eat loads of sweet things in one go til i feel satisfied, i dnt do it everyday probably about once every 2-3 weeks. Does anyone have any good nutrition tips to help with that? My main goal is fatloss and dnt have a lot to lose but dnt want to come off track.. Thanks

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
I use some of the Walden Farms products such as their syrup, chocolate, and fruit spread. Zero cal,carbs,sugar. Helps me out getting through prep.

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Yep a lil waldrens farm zero cal maple syrup... Sometime put it on my eggs n cottage cheese. I even throw it on my broccoli every once in while.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Sugar free jello, diet pop, crystal light, crystal light popsicles, sugar free popsicles, nat pb w sugar free fruit preserves, use a good tasting bcaa/eaa product like chaind out and make a smoothy w itn

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
U guys have good ideas.

Sugar free jello with whipped cream sounds good.

Walden farms? Don't recall hearing of them I'll have to look in my local store.

dutchovenftw

Awards
as much as i want to say dive for a diet coke.. artificial sweetners that are in alot of sugar free products are just going to increase your cravings
its like telling your brain your giving it sugar then depriving the body of that sugar... well your body says **** that to your brain and in pumps the ghrelin. find an alternative. a really thick protein shake does it for me... give it some almond milk and i have a milkshake!

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
as much as i want to say dive for a diet coke.. artificial sweetners that are in alot of sugar free products are just going to increase your cravings
its like telling your brain your giving it sugar then depriving the body of that sugar... well your body says **** that to your brain and in pumps the ghrelin. find an alternative. a really thick protein shake does it for me... give it some almond milk and i have a milkshake!
I have to respectfully disagree sir. I have an avg of 2 diet pops per day and it hasn't increased any of my cravings, in fact it helps to curb appetite while prepping. I don't even cut diet pop out. Maybe the day before a show, but it's never increased my cravings and never hurt me getting into top notch shape. And most of teh so-called research stating these artificial sweeteners are bad is skewed because the amount of the sweetener they gave the rats equates to an amount no human could ever consume anyways.

dutchovenftw

Awards
I have to respectfully disagree sir. I have an avg of 2 diet pops per day and it hasn't increased any of my cravings, in fact it helps to curb appetite while prepping. I don't even cut diet pop out. Maybe the day before a show, but it's never increased my cravings and never hurt me getting into top notch shape. And most of teh so-called research stating these artificial sweeteners are bad is skewed because the amount of the sweetener they gave the rats equates to an amount no human could ever consume anyways.
for you yes, it may not increase your cravings... but for me? big time. St-ONGE, M. & HEYMSFIELD, S.B. (2003) Usefulness of Artificial Sweeteners for Body Weight Control. Nutrition Reviews, 61 (6), p. 219-221 <-- give it a once over
And search this in google for even more stimulation (cant post links) ---> Effects of carbohydrate sugars and artificial sweeteners on appetite and the secretion of gastrointestinal satiety peptides

The science is absolutely abundant on this subject

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for sharing! I'm assuming, as with many things, this is an individualistic thing. I'll see if I can get my hands on some links to some studies as well. I'm glad you posted that. Personally though, I will continue to enjoy my diet pepsi. Is it a vice for me? Probably. But I could have much worse vices.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've preached this before and I'll say it again:
Take 5-HTP and you will no longer desire sweets. Best way to stay on course.
It can enhance mood as well.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I don't really like that many sweets, but that's a great recommendation. I'll ahve to use that with my clients. Thanks.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Thanks for sharing! I'm assuming, as with many things, this is an individualistic thing. I'll see if I can get my hands on some links to some studies as well. I'm glad you posted that. Personally though, I will continue to enjoy my diet pepsi. Is it a vice for me? Probably. But I could have much worse vices.

I agree with you HJ. If it weren't for Splenda/ Stevia I would have ruined my diet by now. I am probably the worst sugar addict in the world, and could literally eat it all day long. I make protein ice cream and various other protein desserts w/ artificial sweeteners and no longer crave sweets all day long. To each his own but that's what works for me too!!

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I agree with you HJ. If it weren't for Splenda/ Stevia I would have ruined my diet by now. I am probably the worst sugar addict in the world, and could literally eat it all day long. I make protein ice cream and various other protein desserts w/ artificial sweeteners and no longer crave sweets all day long. To each his own but that's what works for me too!!
Protein ice cream sounds fun, how do you make that? I have some real issues with sugar and can't stop myself when I eat ice cream... I crave sugar all the time and would love something that just "stop" my cravings, lol!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Protein ice cream sounds fun, how do you make that? I have some real issues with sugar and can't stop myself when I eat ice cream... I crave sugar all the time and would love something that just "stop" my cravings, lol!

I feel ya, believe me!! :thumbsup:

P/Butter Choc Protein Ice Cream- 1-2 scoops protein powder (choc, vanilla, or a pbutter choc mix tastes best) 1 heaping spoonful of unsweetened coco powder, 2 tbs pb2 choc, Splenda to taste,1 cup s/free almond milk blend w/ several ice cubes and let freeze for at least an hour. You can also use s/free jello or pudding mix instead of pb2.

Orange/Chocolate Protein Ice Cream-1-2 scoops vanilla or choc protein powder, 1 spoonful of unsweetened coco powder, s/free orange jello powder to taste, Splenda to taste, 1 cup s/free almond milk blend w/ several ice cubes and let freeze for at least an hour.

You can make all sort's of recipes using different flavor's of s/free jello or pudding powder. Have fun!!

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
I too when prepping for a show still have a diet coke/dt dew. 1 max though. I rely on splenda/stevia as well, but I also cut the serving in half, just to get some type of taste when the sweet craving hits. ''Self application'' works well for me, it might not work with others.

TexasGuy

Awards
Chewing gum is helpful for me. I get the full sugar gum and take the minimal calories over an ice cream binge. It's 30 minutes of sweet bliss and usually does the trick.

I usually have meals and macros planned out, so substituting a substantial snack or meal with fake sweetners doesn't really work when a random craving pops up, but a stick of gum does.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Chewing gum is helpful for me. I get the full sugar gum and take the minimal calories over an ice cream binge. It's 30 minutes of sweet bliss and usually does the trick.

I usually have meals and macros planned out, so substituting a substantial snack or meal with fake sweetners doesn't really work when a random craving pops up, but a stick of gum does.
That double bubble big bubble gum or what ever has like 6g of carbs/sugar.

TexasGuy

Awards
Ain't no thang when I need to scratch an itch and a bowl of ice cream is the temptation. A very large, heaping bowl.

If I had the discipline to cut out sweets completely I would, but I don't. Sugar free just doesn't do it for me. I crave hard.

I need the insulin rush or something, who knows. I'll take 6 grams every now and then over a crash and burn.

I've especially found that before a party (holiday season and all) or something where junk food will abound, chewing gum on the way not only freshens my breath but makes it easier to resist the cookie plates and candy bowls.

Just a tip that works for me, if six grams is tough to swallow there are lots of great suggestions in here. I like diet soda too, but gum is more convenient imo. Fits in a glove box, pocket, desk drawer et cetera.

Also, peppermint has been shown to suppress appetite. Peppermint gum not only curbs a sugar craving but potentially curbs your appetite altogether, further reducing the liklihood you'll binge. All considered it's a pretty legit diversion.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Damn I'm nab that gum next time.

All the **** I eat and I'm running from that sissy ass gum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 9
Weight Loss 9
Recipes 11
vector18 Nutrition / Health 5
lennoxchi General Chat 13