Optimizing IF/Lean Gains for evening workouts

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Read through the big post on the protocol but i was wondering if people can share their experience and tips about how they set up their day for working out after your 9-5 job.

I work a regular job and usually train about 5-6 pm. I usually break my fast around 2pm. I almost always have a bit of some carbs in my pre workout meal around 4pm...

I carb cycle, basically eating as little carbs as i can on my non weight training days. Diet is really simple. Chicken/rice/veg for most meals on weight training days (majority of cals after workout). protein/fat/greeen veggies on non weight training days.

I have been getting really good results with this, i am wondering how others handle similar schedules because working out in the evening is not text book Lean Gains and eating a ton of carbs later in the day is usually not recommended.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
eating a ton of carbs later in the day is usually not recommended.
Sure it is. I recommend it all the time..

Many different ways you can structure your diet. Can break your fast at 2, lift at 5-6 with no additional meal prior, eat a big post workout meal, and one smaller meal before bed. The meal at 2 can be Pro/Fat, keeping all carbs post workout.

You can continue doing what you are doing eating at 2, having a meal with carbs in it around 4, then a big post workout meal.

You can eat at 2, sip an intra pro/carb drink during your wo, and eat a big post wo meal.

I mean it really just depends on what you want to do.

I trained consistently around 6:30-7pm for a long time.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Sure it is. I recommend it all the time..

Many different ways you can structure your diet. Can break your fast at 2, lift at 5-6 with no additional meal prior, eat a big post workout meal, and one smaller meal before bed. The meal at 2 can be Pro/Fat, keeping all carbs post workout.

You can continue doing what you are doing eating at 2, having a meal with carbs in it around 4, then a big post workout meal.

You can eat at 2, sip an intra pro/carb drink during your wo, and eat a big post wo meal.

I mean it really just depends on what you want to do.

I trained consistently around 6:30-7pm for a long time.
Ty sir! You know your stuff, and you not seeing any huge holes in this is very reassuring to me.

Right now i am losing about 1-2 pounds a week in diet mode. Every ten pound plateau i have been doing a few weeks at maintenance then going right back at it... I have lost over 30 pounds relatively easily.

How would YOU set your day/week up with working out at 6pm if you wanted healthy steady weight loss?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Right now i am losing about 1-2 pounds a week in diet mode. Every ten pound plateau i have been doing a few weeks at maintenance then going right back at it... I have lost over 30 pounds relatively easily.

How would YOU set your day/week up with working out at 6pm if you wanted healthy steady weight loss?
My advice is if it is working, not to make any drastic changes. What "I" would do might be much different entirely. Not necessarily better, just different. If you are making progress, then doing something like doesn't make sense. I am a believer of not messing with progress, especially when it is "easy".

What time do you usually go to bed?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
In bed around 10pm, usually read for about an hour or so...

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
and it has been the easiest weight loss ever... i as carb cycling for a while and was stuck. Took almost the same exact diet (added more carbs on workout days), inserted it into a LG schedule and the weight started falling off and i got stronger..

i was astonished...

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Frank, what are your thoughts on fasted HIIT.... want to start jumping rope for hitt... Is this a terrbile idea?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I eat my first meal at about noon ( first hunk of calories). I workout at about 7pm. I will have a shake and a apple or banana before workout and another shake after working out. Then within an hour or two I will have my second "meal" ( the other hunk of my calories). Been following this regiment for several months now and it has been working very well for me.