Keto diet??

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Hi I'm shortly goin to try this for 4 week any experience and tips to share?? Looking to really drop the body fat % now.. 90kg body fat roughly 20-25% ive been told.. Thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its not any better for fat loss than any other diet just so as you know. you can get the same to better results just by modulating the amount of carbs you take in, without dropping them super low.

That said, its not particularly worse for fat loss either.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
4 weeks prob isn't going to be long enough

rw357

Awards
For me, using my anecdotal experience, I can eat a lot more on atkins diet, maintain intense workouts, and still lose weight. However, you won't lose that much weight in 4 weeks. Try 8-12 weeks.

Some people don't like the diet, but for me, it works great.

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Ok thanks.. See I've only got a month now till holiday so left it late it's my last attempt to trim down seen as iv plateaued out

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
I have done the keto diet a couple of times. I like Lyle McDonalds diet/book the best. I used this diet to once loose ~20lbs in less than 2 weeks. I only used this diet to drop stupid amounts of weight to make a certain weight for a MMA competition. I haven't done it in a while, but I know it works. I got really tired of just eating meat and fat. I gained all the weight back on when I returned my normal diet. It works, but can leave you tired and 'out of it'. Hope this helps... good luck!

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Thanks alot.. I started it today only thing I'm struggling with is the hunger side. I enjoy the diet but also need to keep my protein intake to a set limit which I find tricky to exceed tbh.. Hopefully itl settle after a few days once I'm used to it.

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
Good luck!! Keep me posted with your progress :)

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Can anyone take a look an see if this is ok? A days diet on keto is as follows;

Breakfast:
4 eggs scrambled, 4 rashes of bacon fried in butter.

Mid morn:
Lettuce, mayo, 100g cheddar cheese, tin of tuna salad.

Dinner:
200g chicken breast & 50g cheddar, broccoli

Gym!!
Protein shake 50g protein.

Tea:
Broccoli, 2x pork steaks,mayo.

Snacks:
Pepperoni few slices
Walnuts handful

image-375174560.jpg

I don't want you guys to rip me to shreds for not been scientific with macros etc but that's a average day. I'm 23yr old, 5"11, 89kg. BF % unsure as I don't own calipers. I'm quite lean everywere apart from lower back an bottom lip of stomach, can c upper abs..

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
I think u need more protein & fat. I ate In-n-Out 4x4's protein style, eggs, cheese, tuna, chicken, & pure protein powder. Be careful that u are not eatting too many carbs. I really ate NO CARBS and ZERO SUGAR. Mayo and other condiments have tons of sugar. I couldn't even eat beef jerkey... Sugar! Cheese & nuts, avocado, are your friends. It has been a couple years sine I did a Keto cycle and I don't know the recent theory. Go to Lyle MacDonalds site. He is AMAZING! Hope this helps.

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Thank again.. Carbs are really low just checked all food packets.. I'm getting 200g of protein I've worked on 1g protein per lb of weight.. Is that correct.

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
I think that sounds right. I can't seem to find my keto book right now to help you any further with exact numbers you should run. Like I said... check out Lyle McDonald. He is the expert and has lots of free information on his website and forums.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say .8g/lb is a better bet, as your body can convert protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis, so you don't want excess protein either. So the rest of calories from fat.

FitnessXtrm

FitnessXtrm

Awards
I've done Keto for a couple years (on and off). Good diet to lose the fat however it's vital you keep your macros in check. After you get over the hump of being tired you won't notice it (tiredness) anymore. I was able to still lift like a champ, however also switched my workout routine to more of a fat burning/shaping one (as opposed to heavy). One thing I loved about Keto diet was my re-feed! Whoa...now that rocked (haha).

I have since left Keto as I couldn't maintain muscle as easily. My protein intake was lower (by Keto design) in order for me to keep my macros and stay within calories.

Again good diet to strip the fat if you stick with it and are strict with it. Hell I was under 12-15g a day in carbs and felt totally fine without feeling lethartic (guess I got used to it after a while). I did bloat up like a champ during re-feeds though. But it went away quickly.

Good lucK!

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Thanks lost 3lb in 3 days I know thatl b water weight but atleast I'm through my plateau so I should be doing something correct atleast. I find it repeatative with the food but I suppose that's part of the deal

FitnessXtrm

FitnessXtrm

Awards
Yes you're losing water weight first. You should get some keto strips to see if you're in ketosis.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Thanks lost 3lb in 3 days I know thatl b water weight but atleast I'm through my plateau so I should be doing something correct atleast. I find it repeatative with the food but I suppose that's part of the deal

How is your energy level so far on this diet?

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
First few days were abit of a drag in gym. But got a second wind so to speak. First week in now and pretty much accepting it.. Hard knocking caffeine on the head though

FitnessXtrm

FitnessXtrm

Awards
Stick with it. You'll get used to it and feeling lethargic/tired will go away. Remember veggies and fiber are OK and don't count towards your carb intake.

FitnessXtrm

FitnessXtrm

Awards
Can anyone take a look an see if this is ok? A days diet on keto is as follows;

Breakfast:
4 eggs scrambled, 4 rashes of bacon fried in butter.

Mid morn:
Lettuce, mayo, 100g cheddar cheese, tin of tuna salad.

Dinner:
200g chicken breast & 50g cheddar, broccoli

Gym!!
Protein shake 50g protein.

Tea:
Broccoli, 2x pork steaks,mayo.

Snacks:
Pepperoni few slices
Walnuts handful

View attachment 62762

I don't want you guys to rip me to shreds for not been scientific with macros etc but that's a average day. I'm 23yr old, 5"11, 89kg. BF % unsure as I don't own calipers. I'm quite lean everywere apart from lower back an bottom lip of stomach, can c upper abs..
To make the most effective use of Keto I highly recommend you track the macros and calories to see if you're in the right range. Use fitday.com to get your marcros and calories. If I recall correctly macros should be 5/30/65 (C/P/F).

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
First few days were abit of a drag in gym. But got a second wind so to speak. First week in now and pretty much accepting it.. Hard knocking caffeine on the head though

That's what I figured. I tried the Atkins diet many years a go and I felt like as* the entire time. I have tried dropping my carbs lately but my lifting suffers so much that it's just not worth it! Anyway...good luck with your weight loss!!

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Went away this weekend having a hard time finding right food to eat.. Sticking too it though but getting my fats mainly from bacon and eggs on a morning things like that.. Having a few shakes with double cream to up the cals an fats aswell.. Back on Monday so I'll find it easier again..

FitnessXtrm

FitnessXtrm

Awards
Yeah it's a little difficult when you go away until you get used to knowing what to get. You can always do fast food like McDonald's or Jack n the Box. Get the grilled chicken BLT lettuce wrapped at McD's or the bacon double cheeseburger lettuce wrapped from Jack's. Calories, protein and fat right there with little carbs.

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Thanks I'll bear it in mind. I'm ok today because I'm having a carb day. Then home again tomorrow. I know this is a odd question but is it normal to not need the toilet as frequently? I mean it's been 2 days since I last went then today when I had carbs I was back to normal ha ha.

srut7702

srut7702

Awards
I attempted it once. After about 3 days I was real week and got bad headaches. I ended up with just cutting out all processed carbs and stuck with natural carbs. Veggies, sweet potatoes and whole grain breads.

tommy1989

tommy1989

Awards
Half way through second week of keto now. Had a carb day on Saturday. Started at 13st 12 down to 13st 9 now so 3lb gone and looking abit sharper. I'll attach a pic to see my progress.

image-1444007479.jpg