Question about Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
As I researched I read that during the CKD you are only eating about 60g of carbs for 5-6 days with 1-2 carb loading days. Carb loading days are when you feed your body carbs throughout the whole day; eating mass amounts of carbs, drinking Gatorade and such. . My question is can I have all 60g in meal 1? Reason being because after meal 1 I usually go to the gym an hour after. Than I would eat a high protein/fat throughout the rest of my day. Is it better to divide the 60g or does it not even matter which way you go about it aslong as you eat your 60g of carbs? Thank you for reading I hope I get some advice from ppl who have done the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet w/ success :)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
60g of carbs about covers your non-carb sources, if you look carefully you'll probably take in 20-30grams that you can't avoid, so I would only take about 20-30 pre-workout and yes you can take it all at once, just keep it good carbs, i.e. grind up some oatmeal and throw it in a shake, stay away from high gi sources on a keto diet.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
60g of carbs about covers your non-carb sources, if you look carefully you'll probably take in 20-30grams that you can't avoid, so I would only take about 20-30 pre-workout and yes you can take it all at once, just keep it good carbs, i.e. grind up some oatmeal and throw it in a shake, stay away from high gi sources on a keto diet.
I agree you can't avoid a lil extra carbs such as carbs in an avocado or almonds and such. But even that will be less than the carbs I consume as of right now lol. For breakfast (meal 1) I usually make a protein pancake w/ 7 eggwhites and 1 whole egg, 1 cup of oatmeal which is already 54g of carbs and I put it all in a blender and pour it onto a squillet. I'm gonna change the ratio to 4 eggwhites and 4 whole eggs since you have to increase the fat content of the diet

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Really you need to experiment with what works for you, if you want to remain in Ketosis 60g may be to much or you may be able to handle more. Full up Ketosis is miserable, I could never stand more than 2 or 3 weeks in a row on bodyopus and the like.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Really you need to experiment with what works for you, if you want to remain in Ketosis 60g may be to much or you may be able to handle more. Full up Ketosis is miserable, I could never stand more than 2 or 3 weeks in a row on bodyopus and the like.
Well You are npt fully in ketosis. I read that w/ Cylical Ketogenic Diet you do the low carb, high protein/fat for about 5-6 days followed by 1-2 days of a carb loading. The theory is that's how you will preserve your muscle mass

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Then I guess it's not really a Keto diet then? You might as well go for the full suffering and do the real thing, 5 days P/F @ 40/60% then start carb up Fri night and carb down Sun night and back to the pain on Monday. I never lost muscle (noticeably at least) and my strength always come back quickly. Weight loss for me was usually 8-10lbs first week then 2-5 the following weeks, but I've never done more than 3 weeks in a row, just too much suffering for me to sustain it. Either way good luck, hard boiled eggs dipped in Olive oil, yummy!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Thanks for all this info man I really appreciate it. Boiled eggs and olive oil sounds pretty good my friend lol. I'm deff gonna also make alot of turkey patties w/ regular fat American cheese too

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
i would start at 60g/day spread out. buy some ketone strips from walgreens and check if your body stays in ketosis. then you can adjust it from there. depends on your body you might need to be at even lower carb grams/day to be in the more solid ketosis state. i have to take about 40 to stay in keto.
it takes about a 1.5 days for ketosis to kick in at least for me after a carb up day. french fries/energy drink carb up ftw.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Best to carb up slowly though, start with liquids, then cereals and by Sat night potato etc. then reverse on Sunday, the cleaner your carb-up the better over results you'll have, your Monday w/o's will kick butt but by Friday it gets tough!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Yeah I read to start at 60 and adjust it (trial and error) until you start noticing bodyfat percentage to decrease. I'm 5'8" 230lbs about 13% bf. Been bulking since September. June 4, 2012 I will be starting my Tren-E and Test-E cycle so I wanted to give this diet a try. The cycle should further help me lean out and preserve muscle from the high test dosages compared to natural production. I will also be taking winny last 5 weeks of cycle

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Also I figure when I carb up to drink Gatorade, and whole wheat pasta throughout the day. I still wanna keep the carbs clean. Or does it not matter when carbing up? I read ppl eating pancakes w/ syrup and pizza

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
i only carb up for 1 day which is my cheat day where i have one bad meal the rest is pretty clean carbs.
2 carb up days wasn't working for me. i did successfully drop from 177 to 161 in about 1.5 months but it stalled this last week cuz I'm at 10%. :/

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Yeah I was only going to do 1 carb loading day. I wanted to pick Sunday as my carb loading day. I'm Italian so Sunday dinner I'll have a big bowl of whole wheat pasta w/ the family and turkey or bison meatballs :) ...and I'll drink Gatorade

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
And yeah once you get down to about 10% it gets hard to get down to single digests. But they say that's when yu start to incorporate fat burning supps. Try stacking CLA, L-Carnitine, Green Tea or regular caffeine. Hopefully you will get past 10% I would love to have a successful cycle by incorporating this diet and get lean and put on some lean mass

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
And yeah once you get down to about 10% it gets hard to get down to single digests. But they say that's when yu start to incorporate fat burning supps. Try stacking CLA, L-Carnitine, Green Tea or regular caffeine. Hopefully you will get past 10% I would love to have a successful cycle by incorporating this diet and get lean and put on some lean mass
thats exactly what I'm planning to start monday. i got everything ready, CLA, liquid lcarnitine, enough caffeine in my pre workout, and ordered aav2. i think i might also lower my calories to about 1200-1300.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
thats exactly what I'm planning to start monday. i got everything ready, CLA, liquid lcarnitine, enough caffeine in my pre workout, and ordered aav2. i think i might also lower my calories to about 1200-1300.
Not bad; goodluck on that. CLA 1,000mg 3x a day, L-Carnitine 1,000mg 2x a day. L-Glutamine and BCAA to combat catabolism on the low calories

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Today is the first day of my Test-E/Tren-E Cycle and also my CK Diet. Last night I carbed up on alot of whole wheat pasta lol and went out for frozen yogurt w/ my girlfriend lol. Every meal is 50+g protein.

Meal 1: Protein Pancake
5 eggwhites, 3 whole eggs
1 Cup Oatmeal

Meal 2: PWO Shake 50g Whey

Meal 3, 4, 5: Turkey Patties (2)
Regular Anerican Cheese (2)

Meal 6: Canned Tuna (2)
Omega-3 Mayo

***Natty PB and Almonds for snacks***

rricketts

Awards
Today is the first day of my Test-E/Tren-E Cycle and also my CK Diet. Last night I carbed up on alot of whole wheat pasta lol and went out for frozen yogurt w/ my girlfriend lol. Every meal is 50+g protein.

Meal 1: Protein Pancake
5 eggwhites, 3 whole eggs
1 Cup Oatmeal

Meal 2: PWO Shake 50g Whey

Meal 3, 4, 5: Turkey Patties (2)
Regular Anerican Cheese (2)

Meal 6: Canned Tuna (2)
Omega-3 Mayo

***Natty PB and Almonds for snacks***
If you have the iPhone, download the myfitnesspal app. Keeps track of everything you eat and graphs out macros. Its tits.

Try throwing like 5 tbsp of heavy cream in your PWO shake. Delicious and packs 25g fat.

I have experimented with CKD quite a bit and have the best results when I leave "on purpose" carbs out completely out. You don't need them during the week if you can help it.

Here is a sample day for me...

Meal 1: 4 eggs fried in 1 tbsp butter, two slices of bacon.

Snack: 1/4 cup salted sunflower seed kernels, 1 cheese stick

Meal 2: 8 oz ground chuck 80/20 meat

Snack: 4 oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp olive oil

Meal 3: 8 oz salmon, celery, cottage cheese

PWO shake: 2 scoops whey complex w/ cream

This will usually land you around 60/35/5

corvettels3

Awards
You're not trying to add mass are you? Reason being, it's hard as hell to add mass on a keto diet. I'm not saying it can't be done it's just difficult. Also, you're probably not going establish ketosis with 60 carbs at one time. Which version of the CKD are you planning to do? Have you read Lyle's keto ? It's pretty much the same as the anabolic diet. Good luck..

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I am 5'8" 230lbs about 13% BF from the last time I checked. I am not trying to add mass since I bulked from September 2011. I am taking Test-E/Tren-E mostly to preserve mass I gained during the winter and keep strength up while on this diet. I am also taking L-Carnitine, CLA, L-Glutamine and I'm taking BCAA in between meals. This is where I got my CKD info from...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Got it! Thanks alot bro! Can never learn too much