Caloric defecit changes?

mdigregori

Awards
Hey everyone, right now I weigh around 180 lbs and wanna get down to around 170 in about a month. I know that for me to lose weight I should eat around 2000 cals per day. I was wondering if this intake should be increase on training days?

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Hey everyone, right now I weigh around 180 lbs and wanna get down to around 170 in about a month. I know that for me to lose weight I should eat around 2000 cals per day. I was wondering if this intake should be increase on training days?
How do you know that? I mean, is from direct experience/experiments?
If so, that's fine, if not.. that's no good.
If you ask this question I sense it could be the second, in which case you might want to
reconsider the 2k cals thing.
Eating 2k a day on non-training days makes you in cal deficit? If so, you *could* boost them
a bit on training days, if not, you shouldn't.

mdigregori

Awards
I have plugged in my weight into several different rda calculators and found that to lose around one pound per week 2000 cals is the right amount. I was wondering that if I'm working out and burning extra calories I should also eat more

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I have plugged in my weight into several different rda calculators and found that to lose around one pound per week 2000 cals is the right amount. I was wondering that if I'm working out and burning extra calories I should also eat more
depending on your workouts, cardio, daily activity, etc... yes

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
There you go.. Do yourself a favor and forget the numbers you read on those calculators.
You need to *know* what your maintenance calorie intake is, and the only way to know for sure
is experiment. Trust me, it ain't that difficult.
Weight yourself once a week, same day, same time (morning) eat those 2k calories a day
and see if your weight goes up or down, do it for the second week you'll know
Weight is up? Then 2k is too much. Weight is the same? Then that's your maintenance,
if you want to lose fat you need to cut cals.
No calculator can tell you this and even less how much you will lose "per week"

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
There you go.. Do yourself a favor and forget the numbers you read on those calculators.
You need to *know* what your maintenance calorie intake is, and the only way to know for sure
is experiment. Trust me, it ain't that difficult.
Weight yourself once a week, same day, same time (morning) eat those 2k calories a day
and see if your weight goes up or down, do it for the second week you'll know
Weight is up? Then 2k is too much. Weight is the same? Then that's your maintenance,
if you want to lose fat you need to cut cals.
No calculator can tell you this and even less how much you will lose "per week"
Too true. There are way to many variables that a calculator does not take into effect. It may estimate your resting metabolic rate, energy expenditure etc. but it will never know exactly. As each person is different, even a person with the same height, weight, training intensities as you will have differing calorie needs, this is because it cannot calculate exaclty how much calories you are losing as once again, there are too many variables (like how sedentary or active you are when not working out and the weather conditions [hotter weather will increae calorie expenditure]) etc etc. As AutoKal said, dont rely on technology to tell you, experiment and test yourself. after a while of doing this you will learn what your calorie maintainence is and only then will you know for cerain.

But in regards to your original question, cut cals beow maintainence (your going to need to cut more than 2 pounds per week to reach your goal so calculate based on your maintaience to find how much in deficit you need) on all days. From my own personal experience, (and this works for me) I dont change caloire intake based on workout days or rest days (as calorie intake on rest days is important for growth, repair etc) and may increase slightly calorie intake on workout days so i maintain the same deficit on each day throughout the week.