Whole wheat flour.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I just had one of my professors tell me that whole wheat bread that contains whole wheat flour is garbage even if it says 100% whole wheat. He said that the flour is processed, and the nutrients taken out. Any truth to this b/c i've been buying whole wheat bread w/whole wheat flour in it for months now.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends. If you're eating whole wheat bread with barely any whole grains (like wonder bread whole wheat) then its not that great but some breads are made with whole wheat flour but have a good amount of unprocessed grains (most multigrain breads) so therefore the GI and GL is moderate. If you really want the best then look for Stoneground Kernel as the first ingredient. But overall the difference in GI from moderate to low will have minimal impact. THe more insulin resistant you are then the more if will have an impact. For most with normal insulin sensitivity the effects are almost nil.

In essence he is right when you look at most popular large selling companies like Wonder. Its not good at all.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
How about Dutch Country %100 whole wheat bread. Here are the ingredients whole wheat flour, water, high fructose corn syrup, wheat gluten, yeast, and wheat bran, soybean oil, salt. With some other preservatives.

cbcortez

Awards
How about Dutch Country %100 whole wheat bread. Here are the ingredients whole wheat flour, water, high fructose corn syrup, wheat gluten, yeast, and wheat bran, soybean oil, salt. With some other preservatives.
woot for high fructose corn syrup.....hahahaha.....

oh and whats wholemeal bread flour...i always see that ingredient
edit : oh and in case you didnt catch my sarcasm on the HFCS...dump that bread.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
woot for high fructose corn syrup.....hahahaha.....

oh and whats wholemeal bread flour...i always see that ingredient
edit : oh and in case you didnt catch my sarcasm on the HFCS...dump that bread.
Well that's great. Been eating that crap for a while now. Never looked at the ingredients b/c i thought %100 meant it was good. Does anybody have a good brand, or a couple ingredients i should look for, or avoid.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BAD.

Look for Multigrain substitutes. Most of your 9 and 12 grain breads are very good. EVen though it might have whole wheat flour the addition of whole grainins help counteract most of the negatives (blood glucose response)

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
look for brands that have minimal ingredients, and things you can identify (and pronounce). Keep away from any which have corn syrup and other sugars and oils. Organic grains are best, maybe more expensive. Check carb content per serving, as well as fat and sugar. The best ones I've found are unsprouted grain breads with a sh!tload (literally) of fiber, like 4-5g/slice, 12 net carbs, 0.5g fat (naturally occuring from the grains, not added) and about 80-90 calories.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sometimes i pick up this flax-seed whole grain bread with 6g of fibre per serving....but i always try to get whole grains over whole wheat regardless

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I've been eating this crap bread for like a year now. I went to Wally world, and checked all the ingredients on the wheat bread. Most looked similiar to what i've been buying. What a pain in the ass. It sucks living in SC nobody gives a damn about what they put into their body so none of the stores carry anything worth a damn. Guess i'll have to keep looking.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
How about Sara Lee %100 whole wheat bagels. The first ingredient is stone ground whole wheat flour.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Just went to another grocery store, and just about everything i saw had whole wheat flour, and high fructose corn syrup. The only exception was a sara lee that was made w/ %100 stone ground whole wheat. Is there any differnce in stone ground, and regular whole wheat. The bagels from above also have this as their first ingredient.

I also checked the multigrains, and they all looked the same as the others w/ the HFCS.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stone ground wheat is much better than processed wheat flour.

Thats ashame about all your choices.

But just remember that if you take these in combination with high protein and low fat foods, the insulin load is lowered considerably and you really have much less to worry about.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It sucks living in SC nobody gives a damn about what they put into their body so none of the stores carry anything worth a damn. Guess i'll have to keep looking.
I have the same problem, spend too long in the supermarket trying to find good food amongst all the rubbish!

IHateGymMorons

Banned
Awards
Pepperidge Farm makes this bread called "German Dark Wheat". Great stuff, 3g fiber per slice, stone ground, the whole shebang. It taste great. Bottom line, if you're worried about breads this much,, you need to limit them anyway. You really shouldn't be eating so much bread that any brand would risk affecting body composition.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I just made bread a cheat day food so I don't have to worry about it. Sometimes I miss it, but you get used to it pretty easily.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I bought 2 loaves of Whole Wheat Bread, with Stone Ground Whole Wheat as the first ingredient, and the only grain source listed. I bought this out of pure laziness/convience of shoveing soft bread down my throat, to replace eating Shredded Wheat, which I've been eating as my sole carb source ever since I moved and became microwave-less (no oatmeal). I've gone through one loaf, and I feel fat as ****. My gut feels like it's twice the size. I sure hope this **** is bloat, but either way the other loaf is going in the trash. Or better yet, I'll donate it to a Hobo :) . Good thing I bought that microwave the other day. I'm sorry Quaker Oats Guy, I'll never stray from you again. :frustrate

cbcortez

Awards
that bread sounds ok....not unless its got HFCS. oh and i dont microwave my quick cooking oats, i just use hot water hehehe..im lazy