Whole Wheat Bread / Tortillas

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering what the general consensus was on 100% whole wheat bread and whole wheat tortillas as part of daily carb intake. I like to make a giant bowl of turkey chili at the beginning of the week and slap some on some wheat tortillas for dinner a couple nights a week.

Also, does anybody use Organic Agave nectar? The sticker on the back says it is low GI and won't cause a spike in blood sugar levels. I've started using it on whole wheat bread as part of my post workout nutrition.

Thoughts?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was wondering what the general consensus was on 100% whole wheat bread and whole wheat tortillas as part of daily carb intake. I like to make a giant bowl of turkey chili at the beginning of the week and slap some on some wheat tortillas for dinner a couple nights a week.

Also, does anybody use Organic Agave nectar? The sticker on the back says it is low GI and won't cause a spike in blood sugar levels. I've started using it on whole wheat bread as part of my post workout nutrition.

Thoughts?
Agave is a carb and natural sugar. This will turn into blood sugar. Stickers lie...
The glycemic index is bull****. Even for diabetics. I'm not saying fiber and "bro" eating is bad I'm just stating if you're staying away and limiting yourself on food choices just because your worried about high blood sugar...you are paralyzed by analyzing.

In short the Agave doesn't make a difference on body composition.

Wheat bread is more micro dense. "Healthy" although it will make little difference in body composition. Eat what you like. If it works for you go ahead!

I personally like wheat bread better.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I guess my question was more what if wheat bread is a major source of my carbs, as opposed to rice. Does the body use it dofferently? Will there be a difference in body composition there?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess my question was more what if wheat bread is a major source of my carbs, as opposed to rice. Does the body use it dofferently? Will there be a difference in body composition there?
The carbs from rice, both white and brown, oatmeal, cereal, and wheat are not used differently. Although they have different fiber, vitamin, and mineral content they are utilized by the body in the same way to make energy. Fructose is a little different but the amount of fat gain, muscle gain, muscle loss and muscle gain is more determined by a healthy hormone balance, correct training and total caloric intake.

For instance...If you're eating veggies, fruits, starchy carbs, complex carbs, good amount of fat , and lean protein sources your diet will pretty much be perfect. It is that simple. Top notch performance, top health and healthy responses from training.

If you eat pop tarts, table sugar, protein bars, empty calorie dense cereal*lucky charms* from a pure "complete diet" standpoint you mite be lacking phosphorus potassium and other vitamins, minerals ect but...it won't make a body composition change drastic enough to avoid. Pick up a multi. Literally that easy. More for performance than a goal/body comp standpoint. You will have nutritional gaps but not THAT big of a deal.

It's preferences that define our diets. Our diets shouldn't dictate what we eat.

That being said if you like wheat bread, stick with it. If not then send it to me lol. I will eat the **** out a some whole wheat sub roll.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Both are very null of vitamins/minerals i would suggest using both and getting a diversity to help reach an optimal amount of micronutrients if all possible.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned, just eat!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The carbs from rice, both white and brown, oatmeal, cereal, and wheat are not used differently. Although they have different fiber, vitamin, and mineral content they are utilized by the body in the same way to make energy. Fructose is a little different but the amount of fat gain, muscle gain, muscle loss and muscle gain is more determined by a healthy hormone balance, correct training and total caloric intake.

For instance...If you're eating veggies, fruits, starchy carbs, complex carbs, good amount of fat , and lean protein sources your diet will pretty much be perfect. It is that simple. Top notch performance, top health and healthy responses from training.

If you eat pop tarts, table sugar, protein bars, empty calorie dense cereal*lucky charms* from a pure "complete diet" standpoint you mite be lacking phosphorus potassium and other vitamins, minerals ect but...it won't make a body composition change drastic enough to avoid. Pick up a multi. Literally that easy. More for performance than a goal/body comp standpoint. You will have nutritional gaps but not THAT big of a deal.

It's preferences that define our diets. Our diets shouldn't dictate what we eat.

That being said if you like wheat bread, stick with it. If not then send it to me lol. I will eat the **** out a some whole wheat sub roll.
Awesome post

saggy321

Awards
  • Established

The latter set of foods you have mentioned are generally all processed, so I'm sure there will be other implications beyond just nutritional gaps that can be made up from multi-vitamins. Only today, a story has been printed in one of our national broadsheets on the composition of processed and how that almost 40% either had ingredients different to those stated or banned substances. I would avoid them more on these grounds than their calorific content.