MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain!

Page 7 of 14 First ... 56789 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I don't see how your problems are related to mine.
    uh...remember when we dated before Flex got in the way? It's communicable.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

  2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Okay, so Matt brought up some interesting info on a specific diet (beyond just gluten-free) being necessary for Hashimoto's sufferers.

    To me, I still find it so hard to defy the science of caloric expenditure, but, who am I to question this, since the evidence of burning X calories and eating Y calories doesn't result in weight loss when my caloric maintenance level was only Y. As ignorant as this may sound to many, too, I believe that God can defy science and if there's something He is trying to teach me through all of this, if He created the world, He can certainly do something as simple as keep my body from working as science would dictate (I don't intend for this to go off into a Christianity rant, or anything, either - so if you disagree with this, I understand, but please don't muddy this thread up with the topic).

    Anyway, if we're taking this into consideration (the specific foods-only diet being the only way of working) and we also look at Hashimoto's being the cause of it because of an auto-immune disorder where the body is attacking its own thyroid, then wouldn't it certainly be worth looking into just removing the thyroid? If I'm treating the thyroid and the body with synthetic hormones, anyway, what detriment would it be to do this? What are the drawbacks to having my thyroid removed if I already have to take pills for it every day for the rest of my life?

    In theory, wouldn't that eliminate the auto immune disorder, thus eliminating the food-sensitivity issues? Or, does that stem further from this and will that constantly be a GI issue that I'll always face? If it is, can the GI issue be specified and then treated?

    My mind is working at a mile a minute because it's becoming more and more evident how much of a problem this has become. I now have enough of a gut that even when sucked in, it still hangs over the front of my slacks and I'll actually sweat under it...that is just beyond disgusting to me, as well as heart-breaking.

    I watched 50/50, last night (great movie, btw, and very much heart-wrenching), and afterward, I was flipping through my external hard drive files and I found my folder of videos from high school and college. It broke my heart to see the shape I was in, then, and thinking back to how fat I thought I was at the time. It's screwed up, but this makes me understand that I certainly had issues back then, because I was not fat. I saw video of myself from spring break in '09 and my abs were readily visible (still not as cut up in the lower section as I'd wanted, but still) and I had the v-taper down my stomach. My chest was really striated. And I was happy with myself, then, but I still felt like I needed to cut up, more. Sure, I could have - and needed to if I were to compete - but I was in amazing shape...and still didn't think I was where I needed to be.

    Now, here I am. I'm actually not depressed, right now, but it's just really putting things into perspective. But it's really hard to keep doing this. I ate pizza last night. The worst part was, I wasn't even really hungry and I easily could have done without it. Why did I order it? Because I worked late and because whether I ate pizza or didn't wouldn't make me lose any weight (even though eating it probably made things a little bit worse).

    I just want to figure this out. I want to be able to start moving in the right direction, again. I want people, when they see me, to think of me as the guy who leads a healthy life in all areas; not as some meathead who appears to lift a lot but not follow any type of a diet.

    I just get tired.
    •   
       


  3. I haven't made many post on this topic even though I am very familiar with your issues. A true gluten free diet will work and bring your antibody count (tpo) down pretty significant in a matter of weeks in most cases. You should also see a change in your tsh as well.

    Now there is a book out there that might even be on amazon. It is called "why do I still have thyroid problems" the author is Datis Kharrazian. It is a good read to learn fron this.

    Also look up a Dr. Robert Boydston and the boydston institute. He takes phone consultations and long distance treatment options.

    I think you would be very surprised on how in depth and detailed information he can help with.
    Chaos and Pain -Rep

    Use Discount code: onlychevy620 for your 20% off

  4. Now let me be clear. I am not a doctor more of a jack of all master of none. Lol. The gluten free diet once again does work in controlling the issue. I have never read or heard of anyone being cured from it. As you know my mother has this and when you were talking about this from the get go, I mentioned hashimotos. Mainly because everything fit. I don't have any advice on removing the thyroid. Although your logic sounds good. I would be affraid it will have negative effects rather than positive. But that is just me thinking out loud.
    Chaos and Pain -Rep

    Use Discount code: onlychevy620 for your 20% off

  5. Hey bro,
    Wow that's a lot going on but honestly, I've heard worse. You just took the time to write it all out which is therapeutic in itself. Now what you need to do is get back to the basics...You have done a ton of mental gymnastics now its time to just go back and reset. Square one. Diet and Nutrition. Then find a "good" exercise program that you STICK to, not a "perfect" one and that's it. Challenge yourself daily, set and reset your goals. You can do it
    •   
       


  6. Chris Kresser is really good for this type of stuff. He specializes in the auto immune for thyroid (Hashimoto's) So I would just listen to his stuff for now. Just to get the basics. Even the Anti-Aging/TRT guys like Matrix follow similar practices of healing.

    http://chriskresser.com/basics-of-im...for-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/why-changing...ing-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-4

    Last one is a podcast. Now his podcasts arent very interesting... His voice puts most to sleep. I like Robb Wolf's podcasts MUCH better.

    http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

    http://robbwolf.com/2011/02/22/the-p...on-episode-68/


    These will get you started. I have listened to all of Robb's podcasts and Chris's. Also, I have read almost everything on their sites.

    Dont get stuck in the Im scared of everything paranoia though.. My wife was pissed...(So now I just tell her Im allergic to flour, Which worked seeing that my auto immune disease "Vitiligo" has almost completely disappeared since eliminating all flour from July.)
    RecoverBro ELITE

  7. Quote Originally Posted by mattrag
    Chris Kresser is really good for this type of stuff. He specializes in the auto immune for thyroid (Hashimoto's) So I would just listen to his stuff for now. Just to get the basics. Even the Anti-Aging/TRT guys like Matrix follow similar practices of healing.

    http://chriskresser.com/basics-of-im...for-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/why-changing...ing-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-4

    Last one is a podcast. Now his podcasts arent very interesting... His voice puts most to sleep. I like Robb Wolf's podcasts MUCH better.

    http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

    http://robbwolf.com/2011/02/22/the-p...on-episode-68/

    These will get you started. I have listened to all of Robb's podcasts and Chris's. Also, I have read almost everything on their sites.

    Dont get stuck in the Im scared of everything paranoia though.. My wife was pissed...(So now I just tell her Im allergic to flour, Which worked seeing that my auto immune disease "Vitiligo" has almost completely disappeared since eliminating all flour from July.)
    He is amazing. Kresser, Taubes, Robb wolf and Matt lelonde
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    I haven't made many post on this topic even though I am very familiar with your issues. A true gluten free diet will work and bring your antibody count (tpo) down pretty significant in a matter of weeks in most cases. You should also see a change in your tsh as well.

    Now there is a book out there that might even be on amazon. It is called "why do I still have thyroid problems" the author is Datis Kharrazian. It is a good read to learn fron this.

    Also look up a Dr. Robert Boydston and the boydston institute. He takes phone consultations and long distance treatment options.

    I think you would be very surprised on how in depth and detailed information he can help with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    Now let me be clear. I am not a doctor more of a jack of all master of none. Lol. The gluten free diet once again does work in controlling the issue. I have never read or heard of anyone being cured from it. As you know my mother has this and when you were talking about this from the get go, I mentioned hashimotos. Mainly because everything fit. I don't have any advice on removing the thyroid. Although your logic sounds good. I would be affraid it will have negative effects rather than positive. But that is just me thinking out loud.
    Thanks for the info, man. Yeah, it's really frustrating that 90% of hypothyroidism cases are caused by Hashimoto's and yet the GP nor the endo I saw in the first 7 months bothered to test antibodies. What's worse is that I actually requested that back in May or June and the nurse practitioner in the endo's office said she would, but sure enough, they never did.

    After reading more of the info that Matt linked, they say that too much iodine can actually cause Hashimoto's; I supplemented iodine back in June for about a month. Things seemed to get worse around then, but that was also the 2 month stretch that I only went to the gym 5 times each month, compared to the normal 20. Since I didn't have a baseline of antibodies, beforehand, it just made m a little nervous that I gave myself Hashimoto's from taking in too much iodine. I doubt that's the case, but still.

    As for the thyroid removal, I have a feeling it wouldn't do any good. If it did, why on earth wouldn't that be common practice?

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Hey bro,
    Wow that's a lot going on but honestly, I've heard worse. You just took the time to write it all out which is therapeutic in itself. Now what you need to do is get back to the basics...You have done a ton of mental gymnastics now its time to just go back and reset. Square one. Diet and Nutrition. Then find a "good" exercise program that you STICK to, not a "perfect" one and that's it. Challenge yourself daily, set and reset your goals. You can do it
    Thanks for stopping in. Yes, writing definitely helps. It also allows me to go back to see what I was feeling and also experiencing. The fact of the matter, though, is that I have a great exercise program that I do in fact stick to. I've been lifting consistently for 11+ years; I only took summers off back when I played baseball because it messed with my swing, and then the 2 months I mentioned in the above post where I only hit it 5 days/month. Outside of that, I haven't not followed a plan. As for the nutrition, I don't know if you'd read through this entire thread or not (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, because it's a ton), but I've tried a number of things and really outside of that 2 month window where I let depression set in more than I should have, I eat cleaner (and less) than a vast majority. The biggest problem is that if it's the gluten intolerance, it can take ~6 months for it to clear, so I've obviously never done that for long enough. I'm starting, today.

    After reading more of Matt's links, though, if it really does need to be the diet that is suggested at one point, that is going to be incredibly difficult and expensive to swing. I supplement with a lot of protein because it's cheap and because I can eat it at work. Apparently, they state that the casein can leak through the gut lining and that's why dairy isn't allowed. I love cheese, but if I had to get rid of it to get better, so be it. Taking away protein, too? Not so easy. The biggest thing is, that's still all speculation. We have no idea if cutting the protein out will fix it or not. I've been down the road of trying X and Y, before, and it hasn't paid off - it's only resulted in making life more miserable in the meantime.

    I'm not saying I won't do it and I'm not saying that this isn't what has to be done, but I'm certainly not ready to jump head first into that diet. Eliminating gluten isn't something that bothers me; I should have done it a long time ago.

    What still doesn't make sense is the science of calories in versus calories out and how one can actually gain weight at 500kcal while working out to burn off calories, to boot.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Chris Kresser is really good for this type of stuff. He specializes in the auto immune for thyroid (Hashimoto's) So I would just listen to his stuff for now. Just to get the basics. Even the Anti-Aging/TRT guys like Matrix follow similar practices of healing.

    http://chriskresser.com/basics-of-im...for-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/why-changing...ing-hashimotos

    http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-4

    Last one is a podcast. Now his podcasts arent very interesting... His voice puts most to sleep. I like Robb Wolf's podcasts MUCH better.

    http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

    http://robbwolf.com/2011/02/22/the-p...on-episode-68/


    These will get you started. I have listened to all of Robb's podcasts and Chris's. Also, I have read almost everything on their sites.

    Dont get stuck in the Im scared of everything paranoia though.. My wife was pissed...(So now I just tell her Im allergic to flour, Which worked seeing that my auto immune disease "Vitiligo" has almost completely disappeared since eliminating all flour from July.)
    Thanks for the links, man. I'm in the process of reading through all of the Kresser sub-links, still. It's a lot of information and it's definitely overwhelming. It just makes it seem like there are so many more options.

    I'll be speaking with my doctor, today, to see what his colleague in Indy had to say and see what he recommends as far as more testing before looking at the abdominal MRI.




    I'm curious if any type of testing/scan would be able to show evidence of gut-leaking. The weirdest thing about all of it is that quite a while back, I'd just mentioned in passing when talking to my parents that I was curious if there was any way that what I was eating wasn't following the correct order and it was somehow being let out into my body instead of being processed and passed. Now I realize that gut-leak isn't the same thing, but it's just odd if that's what it is or what it's related to.

    It certainly would make sense that either high cortisol or a number of other factors are leading to decreased sensitivity of thyroid receptors, because I've watched my numbers go very far into range with no changes or feeling different (still shedding hair, no improved metabolism, etc.).

  9. Here is my motivational input for the day (us RecoverBro's have to stick together!):

    You can do it.
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

  10. In short yes they can test for leakage. Back when I had gotten real sick and had a foot and a half of my large intestine removed is when the doctors said they can test for it. And it is recommended for athletes that use suplements to get it done periodically. Mainly because of all the different products that are mixed together.

    A colonoscopy can be done to check for this to a degree as well. To see if there are any polyps or perforations in the inner walls of the intestine as well.
    Chaos and Pain -Rep

    Use Discount code: onlychevy620 for your 20% off

  11. Hows your C reactive protein?
    For me that was hella elevated. I think the base levels are around .1-1.2? Mine was 5.6. C reactive protein tests for systematic inflammation. Granted it will be elevated after you workout, if you are stressed, or if you are sick. I doubt it would reach as high as mine did though under those circumstances. At least, that's what my wife (A nurse here in Japan) said. She was baffled. I should remind her what eliminating gluten did for my life.. her mom keeps saying I should get some allergy test... Seriously.. do they wanna feed me poison? I don't even like cake/pie/cookies/etc. I havent eaten anything with flour in it for like 6 months... I don't miss it at all... if they took away meat though... Id probably just say I will die sooner and live unhappier....
    RecoverBro ELITE
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Hows your C reactive protein?
    For me that was hella elevated. I think the base levels are around .1-1.2? Mine was 5.6. C reactive protein tests for systematic inflammation. Granted it will be elevated after you workout, if you are stressed, or if you are sick. I doubt it would reach as high as mine did though under those circumstances. At least, that's what my wife (A nurse here in Japan) said. She was baffled. I should remind her what eliminating gluten did for my life.. her mom keeps saying I should get some allergy test... Seriously.. do they wanna feed me poison? I don't even like cake/pie/cookies/etc. I havent eaten anything with flour in it for like 6 months... I don't miss it at all... if they took away meat though... Id probably just say I will die sooner and live unhappier....
    I don't know that I've had that tested, off the top of my head. All of my labs are loaded up on page 1. If I were to have that tested, I'm assuming that the morning after a day I didn't work out would be optimal, yes?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I don't know that I've had that tested, off the top of my head. All of my labs are loaded up on page 1. If I were to have that tested, I'm assuming that the morning after a day I didn't work out would be optimal, yes?
    Yea, but to be sure I would try to look online and ask your doctor about how you should approach the test so that it will show base line systematic inflammation versus some skewed number reflecting some minor/infrequent stressor.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Yea, but to be sure I would try to look online and ask your doctor about how you should approach the test so that it will show base line systematic inflammation versus some skewed number reflecting some minor/infrequent stressor.
    Thank you, Matt. You've been an unbelievable help. As has everyone else in this thread.

    Ever since I've moved down to KY, I haven't done the best job in finding new friends to spend time with outside of work. It was largely due to my age and my lack of desire to go out drinking, etc. The weight gain has certainly led me to not feel like myself and therefore I don't approach people the same way that I always have (very outgoing and social).

    Anyway, having all of you to converse with has been incredibly helpful to me and means more than you guys probably will ever know.

    I'm probably going to go on a post-rampage over the next few hours (as I keep reading this stuff), so don't feel inclined to respond or answer; it's more of a way for me to collect my thoughts and make sure I don't miss/overlook anything, later (I write a lot of notes down, too, so when I discuss things with my doc, I don't forget something that stuck out to me).
  15. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    The following passage really stuck out to me and is one that summarizes my experiences pretty well. Starting from 50mcg T4, then 112mcg, then cutting it and running 100mcg T3 for 10 weeks, then running just 25mcg T3 only for the past 3 months, now running the 25mcg T3 + 50mcg Synthroid (brand name; not generic) for the past 2 weeks or so with no alleviation/change in symptoms.

    While there’s no practical way to measure receptor site sensitivity in a clinical setting, the research above suggests it is decreased in autoimmune and other inflammatory conditions. A perfect example of this in practice is the Hashimoto’s patient who is taking replacement hormones but still suffers from hypothyroid symptoms – often in spite of repeated changes in the dose and type of medication. In these patients, inflammation is depressing thyroid receptor site sensitivity and producing hypothyroid symptoms, even though lab markers like TSH, T4 and T3 may be normal.
    ref: http://chriskresser.com/5-ways-that-...yroid-symptoms
  16. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Matt, what is your stance on "modified food starch" in terms of its relation to gluten. When I'd done some digging on it a while back, it appeared to show up fine, as they said over the years it has turned more into using something else as filler than gluten (though I can't recall what, exactly, now). However, in one of Kresser's articles, he mentions them using modified food starch as a filler for thyroid meds, which proves to be troublesome for those with an intolerance, because of it containing gluten.

    Is it just a case by case basis where you have to specifically find out from that company when you see "modified food starch" listed on a label?
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Other studies have shown that changes in the gut flora can increase the rate at which we absorb fatty acids and carbohydrates, and increase the storage of calories as fat. This means that someone with bad gut flora could eat the same amount of food as someone with a healthy gut, but extract more calories from it and gain more weight.
    ref: http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gu...to-weight-loss
  18. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    By the way, just read a post about fecal transplant to help regulate someone's gut...beyond disgusting.

  19. I am know I have to cut all carbs and sugars. My body just hangs on to them

  20. Ok that didn't make any sense. I know I need to cut carbs and sugars
  21. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by larrybailey View Post
    I am know I have to cut all carbs and sugars. My body just hangs on to them
    I've done keto, carb-cycling and a short stint of the hCG diet. This reaches beyond the realm of just carbs. I very rarely consume anything with added sugar.

  22. I read that, great post by the way, I read it all.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Matt, what is your stance on "modified food starch" in terms of its relation to gluten. When I'd done some digging on it a while back, it appeared to show up fine, as they said over the years it has turned more into using something else as filler than gluten (though I can't recall what, exactly, now). However, in one of Kresser's articles, he mentions them using modified food starch as a filler for thyroid meds, which proves to be troublesome for those with an intolerance, because of it containing gluten.

    Is it just a case by case basis where you have to specifically find out from that company when you see "modified food starch" listed on a label?

    Honestly, living in Japan and not trusting anything I really ONLY cook all my food. I eat out maybe two times a week at either a shabu shabu place (Meat veggies in a hot pot of water), or Yakiniku....
    I havent had stuff in a box/with labels in a while.
    With that said, my stance is to avoid them. I avoided ALL non natural foods for 30 days. I went SUPER strict. No sucralose, no bcaas/powder/pre workout. No cooked nuts, only raw (as cooking them can cause oxidation and changing lipids into trans fats).

    I ate out the other night, Gelato and some indian curry... felt pretty hung over. I really dont enjoy eating out because of this. I only do it because one must also remain social to live a happy and fruitful life lol.

    Pretty much anything in a box I don't eat at all, anything in a restaurant I will eat only if I know they don't use flour and its something I know I can get away with eating mainly just some meat and veggies. (They sprinkle flour on veggies here to make them look better.... ) So I REALLY try to ONLY get something like a steak, or a grilled chicken. When I move back to Hawaii Ill probably be eating a lot of raw fish, steak and pork. Growing up I never ate anything in a box... cept packaged ramen lol. And really don't miss anything....
    RecoverBro ELITE

  24. Quote Originally Posted by mattrag

    Honestly, living in Japan and not trusting anything I really ONLY cook all my food. I eat out maybe two times a week at either a shabu shabu place (Meat veggies in a hot pot of water), or Yakiniku....
    I havent had stuff in a box/with labels in a while.
    With that said, my stance is to avoid them. I avoided ALL non natural foods for 30 days. I went SUPER strict. No sucralose, no bcaas/powder/pre workout. No cooked nuts, only raw (as cooking them can cause oxidation and changing lipids into trans fats).

    I ate out the other night, Gelato and some indian curry... felt pretty hung over. I really dont enjoy eating out because of this. I only do it because one must also remain social to live a happy and fruitful life lol.

    Pretty much anything in a box I don't eat at all, anything in a restaurant I will eat only if I know they don't use flour and its something I know I can get away with eating mainly just some meat and veggies. (They sprinkle flour on veggies here to make them look better.... ) So I REALLY try to ONLY get something like a steak, or a grilled chicken. When I move back to Hawaii Ill probably be eating a lot of raw fish, steak and pork. Growing up I never ate anything in a box... cept packaged ramen lol. And really don't miss anything....
    Paleo does work...
    MWB, only natural food. No
    Powders etc and no meal Replacements....no bars. Lean meats, coconut oil olive oil and lots of greens and some starch post workout fructose can be problematic.
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  25. Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Paleo does work...
    MWB, only natural food. No
    Powders etc and no meal Replacements....no bars. Lean meats, coconut oil olive oil and lots of greens and some starch post workout fructose can be problematic.
    For now though I would just say to stick with the meats. Slowly cycle off of any protein powders/powders that have anything in them aside from either the Whey, or the aminos.
    For now I wouldnt really count calories. Just dont go crazy on the carbs. But if you hit like 200+ a day in good clean carbs so be it. Fructose, as much as I hate it, if it makes this diet bearable and you're main concern is not body comp eat it. I assume healing > shred is the goal atm? hehe.

    It REALLY sux as I use so many supps and the 30 days seemed like forever, but they did clear most of my vitiligo. I will probably do another cleanse once again. Once I move back home so I can at least pack/make/eat all my food daily.

    Don't underestimate the power of (The force) whole food nutrition. Bad food made this so, good food should make it better. If not... well then we start adding in the meds.
    RecoverBro ELITE

  26. Ever thought of a 24hr fast Matty? Protein cycling effects?cleaning the cells?
    ...::: Olympus Labs Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  27. Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Ever thought of a 24hr fast Matty? Protein cycling effects?cleaning the cells?
    Ive done those. I did a protein fast for 5 days. Only veggies and fruits. I ate 6 grape fruits, 2 sweet potatoes, and 4 apples a day, along with 3 onions and 2 cabbages. I didnt lose much muscle, but I felt like garbage and my skin started to get really dry and pale looking... I know it's a good thing to do, just I don't really enjoy it.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  28. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    All right, so my brain wheels are churning again (can't seem to turn them off for long lol). I'm thinking about the gluten-free diet, but not just that; the diet that cuts out my whey, supplements, etc. and puts me at basically just eating fresh bought lean meats, veggies and fruits (thinking about restriction of dairy for a while to see what role that plays; hence the whey, etc.). Anyway, as I mentioned, that would be ridiculously difficult for me (coupled with expensive).

    Anyway, I'm thinking about doing it as an IF (intermittent fasting) set up. I did IF for around a month back in mid-June to mid-July. I enjoyed the eating window being what it was. However, I'd heard (don't recall if it was PA or someone else; maybe Shawn (Matrix), who said fasting with thyroid issues is not smart). So, I've had it out of my head until today. I've been digging up as much research as I can (on IF, specifically, and not extended fasts). The research I've come across thus far (which has been minimal in terms of actual scientific studies and not just articles by experts) indicates that it shouldn't be problematic. Some of it would point toward the insulin and leptin issues being improved by it. The biggest worry would probably be the increase in cortisol from fasting, though that should only be marginal and not detrimental. However, I want to get the current cortisol issue looked at and put to bed before I were to start something like this.

    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=1260

    This one has some decent info that I'm currently reading.

    I didn't get to hear from my doc, yesterday (if he wasn't so good, I'd be pissed). I called and they said they'd call back when they had anything from him. I stopped in at 4, before they closed, to drop off a letter I typed up at work. It was a letter with some citations and such discussing the areas I wanted to look at, currently, in conjunction with whatever he came up with. One of those is another 24-hour cortisol test where I'd restrict fluids for the day to have a lower total urine volume. I told him that if it comes up as the same cortisol/L density then I'd dismiss it. However, if the overall volume is still high in a lower total volume, the density would be significantly higher and obvious evidence (though I already suspect/believe that the overall content proves that).

    I've only had rT3 checked twice. The first time was back on 7/23/11. That would have been right at the end of or still during my IF run. I'm curious if that attributed to the high rT3 more than anything else. When I had rT3 checked again, I had only been taking 100mcg T3/day and I was also eating every 3 hours, again. I doubt it was the cause. In all honesty, there are just too many variables. It could just be stress, it could be that, it could be that I was still basically starving myself in terms of my cals/day intake. I doubt that's an issue with fasting, but I wanted to mention it so I can come back to this reference if need be.

    So anyway, back to what I was wanting to discuss. That is that I could/would eat in the 8 hour window, again, which would make it significantly easier for me to get in all the lean meats, fruits and veggies I need, since I could do the majority of it at home and not on the go.

    I'd also point out that despite my fasting blood sugar being higher than I'd like, my response to the GTT was something I was incredibly surprised by and happy with. So, my reaction to glucose does not seem bad at all. If anything, it was shocking to not see the levels spike any more than what they did. I may still get a reader and strips and check myself more often to see how I respond to protein meals, fat meals, combinations and also shortly after eating versus just an hour out.

    Scattered thoughts, again, but doing a lot of digging. I don't like wasting time, so while I'm waiting on my doc, I'm going to be researching as much as I can. Unfortunately, I need to stop so I can do homework lol. That's not happening right now, though.
  29. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I find this intriguing (from the above link):

    Adequate carb intake: Eat at least 400 “safe starch” carbohydrate calories daily during the afternoon feeding window. Relative to a very low-carb diet, this will increase daytime insulin release and, by increasing insulin sensitivity, may reduce fasting insulin levels. It will thus enhance diurnal insulin rhythm.

  30. It cant hurt to try. But you would want to give it a solid 6-8 weeks.
    Chaos and Pain -Rep

    Use Discount code: onlychevy620 for your 20% off
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Need to gain weight!!!
    By jakijapuz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:21 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
  4. Best Gyno Treatment? Case to case basis?
    By lewisfitness in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
  5. Help with weight gain
    By golden71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Log in
Log in