MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain! - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 6

MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain!

Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by larrybailey View Post
    I am know I have to cut all carbs and sugars. My body just hangs on to them
    I've done keto, carb-cycling and a short stint of the hCG diet. This reaches beyond the realm of just carbs. I very rarely consume anything with added sugar.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

I read that, great post by the way, I read it all.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Matt, what is your stance on "modified food starch" in terms of its relation to gluten. When I'd done some digging on it a while back, it appeared to show up fine, as they said over the years it has turned more into using something else as filler than gluten (though I can't recall what, exactly, now). However, in one of Kresser's articles, he mentions them using modified food starch as a filler for thyroid meds, which proves to be troublesome for those with an intolerance, because of it containing gluten.

Is it just a case by case basis where you have to specifically find out from that company when you see "modified food starch" listed on a label?

Honestly, living in Japan and not trusting anything I really ONLY cook all my food. I eat out maybe two times a week at either a shabu shabu place (Meat veggies in a hot pot of water), or Yakiniku....
    I havent had stuff in a box/with labels in a while.
    With that said, my stance is to avoid them. I avoided ALL non natural foods for 30 days. I went SUPER strict. No sucralose, no bcaas/powder/pre workout. No cooked nuts, only raw (as cooking them can cause oxidation and changing lipids into trans fats).

I ate out the other night, Gelato and some indian curry... felt pretty hung over. I really dont enjoy eating out because of this. I only do it because one must also remain social to live a happy and fruitful life lol.

Pretty much anything in a box I don't eat at all, anything in a restaurant I will eat only if I know they don't use flour and its something I know I can get away with eating mainly just some meat and veggies. (They sprinkle flour on veggies here to make them look better.... ) So I REALLY try to ONLY get something like a steak, or a grilled chicken. When I move back to Hawaii Ill probably be eating a lot of raw fish, steak and pork. Growing up I never ate anything in a box... cept packaged ramen lol. And really don't miss anything....
    RecoverBro ELITE
    •   

4. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag

Honestly, living in Japan and not trusting anything I really ONLY cook all my food. I eat out maybe two times a week at either a shabu shabu place (Meat veggies in a hot pot of water), or Yakiniku....
    I havent had stuff in a box/with labels in a while.
    With that said, my stance is to avoid them. I avoided ALL non natural foods for 30 days. I went SUPER strict. No sucralose, no bcaas/powder/pre workout. No cooked nuts, only raw (as cooking them can cause oxidation and changing lipids into trans fats).

I ate out the other night, Gelato and some indian curry... felt pretty hung over. I really dont enjoy eating out because of this. I only do it because one must also remain social to live a happy and fruitful life lol.

Pretty much anything in a box I don't eat at all, anything in a restaurant I will eat only if I know they don't use flour and its something I know I can get away with eating mainly just some meat and veggies. (They sprinkle flour on veggies here to make them look better.... ) So I REALLY try to ONLY get something like a steak, or a grilled chicken. When I move back to Hawaii Ill probably be eating a lot of raw fish, steak and pork. Growing up I never ate anything in a box... cept packaged ramen lol. And really don't miss anything....
    Paleo does work...
    MWB, only natural food. No
    Powders etc and no meal Replacements....no bars. Lean meats, coconut oil olive oil and lots of greens and some starch post workout fructose can be problematic.
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Paleo does work...
    MWB, only natural food. No
    Powders etc and no meal Replacements....no bars. Lean meats, coconut oil olive oil and lots of greens and some starch post workout fructose can be problematic.
    For now though I would just say to stick with the meats. Slowly cycle off of any protein powders/powders that have anything in them aside from either the Whey, or the aminos.
    For now I wouldnt really count calories. Just dont go crazy on the carbs. But if you hit like 200+ a day in good clean carbs so be it. Fructose, as much as I hate it, if it makes this diet bearable and you're main concern is not body comp eat it. I assume healing > shred is the goal atm? hehe.

It REALLY sux as I use so many supps and the 30 days seemed like forever, but they did clear most of my vitiligo. I will probably do another cleanse once again. Once I move back home so I can at least pack/make/eat all my food daily.

Don't underestimate the power of (The force) whole food nutrition. Bad food made this so, good food should make it better. If not... well then we start adding in the meds.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  6. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ever thought of a 24hr fast Matty? Protein cycling effects?cleaning the cells?
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Ever thought of a 24hr fast Matty? Protein cycling effects?cleaning the cells?
    Ive done those. I did a protein fast for 5 days. Only veggies and fruits. I ate 6 grape fruits, 2 sweet potatoes, and 4 apples a day, along with 3 onions and 2 cabbages. I didnt lose much muscle, but I felt like garbage and my skin started to get really dry and pale looking... I know it's a good thing to do, just I don't really enjoy it.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

All right, so my brain wheels are churning again (can't seem to turn them off for long lol). I'm thinking about the gluten-free diet, but not just that; the diet that cuts out my whey, supplements, etc. and puts me at basically just eating fresh bought lean meats, veggies and fruits (thinking about restriction of dairy for a while to see what role that plays; hence the whey, etc.). Anyway, as I mentioned, that would be ridiculously difficult for me (coupled with expensive).

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing it as an IF (intermittent fasting) set up. I did IF for around a month back in mid-June to mid-July. I enjoyed the eating window being what it was. However, I'd heard (don't recall if it was PA or someone else; maybe Shawn (Matrix), who said fasting with thyroid issues is not smart). So, I've had it out of my head until today. I've been digging up as much research as I can (on IF, specifically, and not extended fasts). The research I've come across thus far (which has been minimal in terms of actual scientific studies and not just articles by experts) indicates that it shouldn't be problematic. Some of it would point toward the insulin and leptin issues being improved by it. The biggest worry would probably be the increase in cortisol from fasting, though that should only be marginal and not detrimental. However, I want to get the current cortisol issue looked at and put to bed before I were to start something like this.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=1260

This one has some decent info that I'm currently reading.

I didn't get to hear from my doc, yesterday (if he wasn't so good, I'd be pissed). I called and they said they'd call back when they had anything from him. I stopped in at 4, before they closed, to drop off a letter I typed up at work. It was a letter with some citations and such discussing the areas I wanted to look at, currently, in conjunction with whatever he came up with. One of those is another 24-hour cortisol test where I'd restrict fluids for the day to have a lower total urine volume. I told him that if it comes up as the same cortisol/L density then I'd dismiss it. However, if the overall volume is still high in a lower total volume, the density would be significantly higher and obvious evidence (though I already suspect/believe that the overall content proves that).

I've only had rT3 checked twice. The first time was back on 7/23/11. That would have been right at the end of or still during my IF run. I'm curious if that attributed to the high rT3 more than anything else. When I had rT3 checked again, I had only been taking 100mcg T3/day and I was also eating every 3 hours, again. I doubt it was the cause. In all honesty, there are just too many variables. It could just be stress, it could be that, it could be that I was still basically starving myself in terms of my cals/day intake. I doubt that's an issue with fasting, but I wanted to mention it so I can come back to this reference if need be.

So anyway, back to what I was wanting to discuss. That is that I could/would eat in the 8 hour window, again, which would make it significantly easier for me to get in all the lean meats, fruits and veggies I need, since I could do the majority of it at home and not on the go.

I'd also point out that despite my fasting blood sugar being higher than I'd like, my response to the GTT was something I was incredibly surprised by and happy with. So, my reaction to glucose does not seem bad at all. If anything, it was shocking to not see the levels spike any more than what they did. I may still get a reader and strips and check myself more often to see how I respond to protein meals, fat meals, combinations and also shortly after eating versus just an hour out.

Scattered thoughts, again, but doing a lot of digging. I don't like wasting time, so while I'm waiting on my doc, I'm going to be researching as much as I can. Unfortunately, I need to stop so I can do homework lol. That's not happening right now, though.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

I find this intriguing (from the above link):

Adequate carb intake: Eat at least 400 “safe starch” carbohydrate calories daily during the afternoon feeding window. Relative to a very low-carb diet, this will increase daytime insulin release and, by increasing insulin sensitivity, may reduce fasting insulin levels. It will thus enhance diurnal insulin rhythm.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

It cant hurt to try. But you would want to give it a solid 6-8 weeks.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Upon further deductions (I sound like a hypochondriac, now), I'm reasonably certain I have sinusitis (debatable on whether it's chronic or acute). I'm not going to delve into everything, but I'm planning on picking up a humidifier for the bedroom. The ridiculous bloody nose I had 2 nights ago didn't help things, either.
  12. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Get eating down pat for 30 days then change accordingly....
    Body has stress, so no need to add to it more...
    Keep us updated with how you are going man!!!
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    It cant hurt to try. But you would want to give it a solid 6-8 weeks.
    For sure.

I'm not changing anything (other than just the complete elimination of gluten) until I have more stuff in order with the doc (namely cortisol). I'm not going to do the super restrictive diet until I get the other things done, too. So, for the next few days, I'm still going to be eating whey and unrestricted fruits and vegetables. After talking with him and doing whatever tests we decide on, then I'll consider both the IF as well as the super restrictive GF diet.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You can do it.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

For sure.

I'm not changing anything (other than just the complete elimination of gluten) until I have more stuff in order with the doc (namely cortisol). I'm not going to do the super restrictive diet until I get the other things done, too. So, for the next few days, I'm still going to be eating whey and unrestricted fruits and vegetables. After talking with him and doing whatever tests we decide on, then I'll consider both the IF as well as the super restrictive GF diet.
    A minor thought on cortisol. Try not to stay away from the carbs. Yes I said it. In some cases carb restriction will elevate cortisol levels. I think it was shown in a study with athletes. Post workout carbs blunted or at least lowered the release of cortisol. Fats are also important. Fats fuel them hormones so you have more raw material to make the other hormones as well. Sadly, gluconeogenesis works through cortisol and is basically fueled from it, so a 0 carb diet will derail you after a while. Probably for you in NO time. No fat diet = rabbit starvation diet and also will cause the body to do somethings you don't want it to... because of stress. The best thing that has worked for me is a REALLY thought out cyclical diet. I basically have 4 foods I eat. Sweet potatoes, chicken thigh/breast, coconut milk and blueberries...Every day I do a combination of all 4 to hit my goals. Be it high protein high carb for post workout (im bulking) Or a fattier meal in the evening with a thigh or just coconut milk. My mornings also are basically coconut milk and blueberries. I don't really know why but when I do this I feel more alert. I will add in some BCAA (Stupid I know but it's habbit. one would think with my all fat/fruit breakfast i'd be trying to trigger some AMPk receptor upregulation by hitting a protein fast... but whatever, I'm no perfect) if I am going to do anything like walk to work etc. lol.

My diet is VERY tight. I still suffer from minor set backs as I like my whey.... omfg I like my whey. I gave it up for 3 months though. As long as I have gut health though I can drink it. Gut health stops me from bloating and having pain from the protein it seems. Just a pretty pricey tool to use as everytime I take my protein I have to take a pill usually... hahha.

I hope I have confused you even more.... I have confused myself...
    RecoverBro ELITE
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    A minor thought on cortisol. Try not to stay away from the carbs. Yes I said it. In some cases carb restriction will elevate cortisol levels. I think it was shown in a study with athletes. Post workout carbs blunted or at least lowered the release of cortisol. Fats are also important. Fats fuel them hormones so you have more raw material to make the other hormones as well. Sadly, gluconeogenesis works through cortisol and is basically fueled from it, so a 0 carb diet will derail you after a while. Probably for you in NO time. No fat diet = rabbit starvation diet and also will cause the body to do somethings you don't want it to... because of stress. The best thing that has worked for me is a REALLY thought out cyclical diet. I basically have 4 foods I eat. Sweet potatoes, chicken thigh/breast, coconut milk and blueberries...Every day I do a combination of all 4 to hit my goals. Be it high protein high carb for post workout (im bulking) Or a fattier meal in the evening with a thigh or just coconut milk. My mornings also are basically coconut milk and blueberries. I don't really know why but when I do this I feel more alert. I will add in some BCAA (Stupid I know but it's habbit. one would think with my all fat/fruit breakfast i'd be trying to trigger some AMPk receptor upregulation by hitting a protein fast... but whatever, I'm no perfect) if I am going to do anything like walk to work etc. lol.

My diet is VERY tight. I still suffer from minor set backs as I like my whey.... omfg I like my whey. I gave it up for 3 months though. As long as I have gut health though I can drink it. Gut health stops me from bloating and having pain from the protein it seems. Just a pretty pricey tool to use as everytime I take my protein I have to take a pill usually... hahha.

I hope I have confused you even more.... I have confused myself...
    That likely played a role in the whole onset of the problems. For a few years, I basically didn't eat carbs (bought into the hype and didn't do any research back then; or at least not in the right places). I won't go into the past like crazy on this, though. I plan on having a nice array of all 3 macronutrients. I've been using the RLS probiotic for a few months, now. Even before I started it, I never felt any adverse reactions or problems to whey/milk/dairy. Whether there is or was bloat, though, would have been too difficult to tell with the elevated body fat.

This is what today's meals looked like for me:

- 3 scoops NutraPro + 2 tbsp psyllium husk fiber
    - 1 can chicken breast/thigh (54g pro)
    - 1 small sweet potato, 1 small granny smith apple, 3 scoops NutraPro
    - 25g BCAA intra-workout
    - 3 scoops Muscle Replenisher
    - 1 cup brown rice, 6 eggs, 1 slice FF American cheese, 1 slice pepperjack
    - a small amount of nuts

So I stayed gluten-free. That won't be hard for me. Where it will be difficult is if I go super restricted and cut out whey and dairy. If I do, Matt, what is my safe list of foods in each group (specifically which meats, fruits, vegetables, fats, any other carb sources)? If I do that, it will probably be in an IF setting, if I can get the cortisol test, again and make sure everything is in order.

In all honesty, the IF thing sounds appealing for that, as well as re-establishing a good circadian rhythm. Mine is likely messed up since my 8 AM cortisol is fine. I haven't been sleeping as long as I should be, so I have to focus more on getting 8 hours (it's hard). IF is always nice, too, with thyroid meds, since you have to wait an hour afterward to eat and it makes my breakfast not really seem like breakfast, anyway.

You actually didn't confuse me at all with that one, Matt.

Oh, and I ordered Dr. K's book, yesterday, as was recommended. I need to do some more reading on Robb Wolf's stuff, still.
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Hey MWB, this is straight from Robb himself.

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...FoodMatrix.pdf
    RecoverBro ELITE
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    You can do it.
    yes you can do it all night long.... LOL Just had to say it. Blake you are doing the right thing. Try out the new diet and see how it goes and maybe that should give you more answers your looking for.
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

I was reading on his stuff myself very interesting.
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Appreciate it, bro-ham. I'll give it a look over once I talk to my doctor and get through the next few steps (I'm not trying to do a complete 180 and go that restrictive right off the bat...namely because I still have other food at the house, don't want to go crazy yet lol, and want to conserve money by using my whey).
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Day 1, complete.

Weight this morning, upon rising = 268.6 lbs

*sigh* lol

I don't see it changing for quite a while, but it is what it is and I'm approaching this whole thing like the machine I know I can be. 180 days to clear gluten? 179 more til it's out.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Good job bro! One day at a time!
    RecoverBro ELITE
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Good job bro! One day at a time!
    Yep.

Really, 180 days isn't all that long, in the grand scheme of things, so it's just a matter of keeping the goals and focus clear and staying mentally driven. I did a full set of measurements, last night, and I'm ready to go back to where I was -- no doubt about it.

I'm really hoping that even though that's how long it takes for gluten to leave the body that I see some relief before that, though.
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Don't give up.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

Of course you have all of our support. Let's do this.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Don't give up.
    Haven't you noticed Flexy? Blake doesn't respond to us RecoverBro's in his personal thread. Only in the socially awkward throwback Milas thread where it's acceptable to be deviant.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

He's treating us like the loser he got drunk and had a meaningful conversation with at a party. We want to publicly acknowledge one another now but he wont give us the time of day until the next party.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

lol

boys, boys...it's okay. Daddy is here. And he loves both of you, very much.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast
    lol

Lmao! Hahahahaha
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Haven't you noticed Flexy? Blake doesn't respond to us RecoverBro's in his personal thread. Only in the socially awkward throwback Milas thread where it's acceptable to be deviant.
    ha ha ha
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

2 days complete.

Going to go hit back in a few and then grocery shop.
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

lol

Don't fall for it Flexy! He doesn't really mean it. That's exactly how he lured the last little bearded boy into his house. He's very manipulative. Remember the "care" package he convinced you to send him with all your favorite supps and some revealing photos? yeah, MWB posted those pics of you on Big Bodybuilding Babes.xxx
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Don't fall for it Flexy! He doesn't really mean it. That's exactly how he lured the last little bearded boy into his house. He's very manipulative. Remember the "care" package he convinced you to send him with all your favorite supps and some revealing photos? yeah, MWB posted those pics of you on Big Bodybuilding Babes.xxx
    SO not true. Those pics were just for me. It was so hot watching Flex put on that fake beard on.
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

I saw "yumyum"
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

I saw "yumyum"
    I told you not to discuss my junk in public!
  36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

3 days complete.
  37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Just read this. Not gonna lie, the idea of not eating fruit doesn't sit well with me. I could get on board with the rest of it pretty well, but losing that and dairy is a lot. Gluten free -- not that hard. That diet -- very restricting.
  38. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

MWB,
    You have a hard buy in with this due to your mystery problem.
    It's a 30 day elimination to start. Once it's 30 days, see how you look feel and perform. If good, add back in some berries...or find yourself some grass fed hydrolyzed isolate...it's a rough buy in man but the 30days strict will do well
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

MWB,
    You have a hard buy in with this due to your mystery problem.
    It's a 30 day elimination to start. Once it's 30 days, see how you look feel and perform. If good, add back in some berries...or find yourself some grass fed hydrolyzed isolate...it's a rough buy in man but the 30days strict will do well
    Well, until I have any more testing to look at GI issues, I'm going with gluten-free / paleo, but not that restricted. IIRC, they didn't even have eggs on there. I'm fine with eating naturally and eliminating gluten, as well as processed foods, but that's just hell. If it comes down to that's what I have to do, then so be it, but I've done enough crap so far that hasn't worked and I'm not doing it again with this.
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

4 days complete.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
  2. Need to gain weight!!!
    By jakijapuz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
  4. Best Gyno Treatment? Case to case basis?
    By lewisfitness in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM
  5. Help with weight gain
    By golden71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM