MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain!

Page 6 of 14 First ... 45678 ... Last

1. PMS STD's!!!

RECOVERBRO

2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    Are the Docs just as confused? They have any 'theories' about what's going on?
    Yeah; I've worked with a handful of docs:

- GP in town a year ago who I got my first blood work through (didn't bother to check thyroid antibodies and just put me on 50mcg T4; TSH results after 6 weeks were 3.7 from 5.7 and she said it was good despite me feeling no different)
    - Endocrinologist in Louisville who bumped me to 112mcg and also mentioned possibly TRT lol (TSH in check after 6 weeks, but no difference in feeling or weight and urine was dark yellow even when drinking 2 gallons H2O/day; also didn't check for thyroid antibodies; checked rT3 after my request, it was high OOR and he said it was a pointless test)
    - GP with endocrinology background in town; he has been awesome and put me on a scrip of 25mcg T3/50mcg T4 (after I'd been running 100mcg T3 on my own for 10 weeks), I then ran just T3 until a week ago (6mo no T4). He has looked at tons of options for me (cortisol, ACTH, prolactin, brain MRI). At this point, he doesn't seem to have any theories (haven't talked to him since this latest blood work came back, though). He was the only one to check thyroid antibodies; so a year after all of this, I finally get diagnosed with Hashimoto's autoimmune disorder.
    - Endocrinologist at University of Louisville who said these are my genetics and the weight gain was normal. Also said I just eat too much/don't burn enough energy...biggest waste of my life.

So, no theories on my doc's behalf that I'm aware of. I have my suspicions (as noted above), but that's all.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Yeah; I've worked with a handful of docs:

- GP in town a year ago who I got my first blood work through (didn't bother to check thyroid antibodies and just put me on 50mcg T4; TSH results after 6 weeks were 3.7 from 5.7 and she said it was good despite me feeling no different)
    - Endocrinologist in Louisville who bumped me to 112mcg and also mentioned possibly TRT lol (TSH in check after 6 weeks, but no difference in feeling or weight and urine was dark yellow even when drinking 2 gallons H2O/day; also didn't check for thyroid antibodies; checked rT3 after my request, it was high OOR and he said it was a pointless test)
    - GP with endocrinology background in town; he has been awesome and put me on a scrip of 25mcg T3/50mcg T4 (after I'd been running 100mcg T3 on my own for 10 weeks), I then ran just T3 until a week ago (6mo no T4). He has looked at tons of options for me (cortisol, ACTH, prolactin, brain MRI). At this point, he doesn't seem to have any theories (haven't talked to him since this latest blood work came back, though). He was the only one to check thyroid antibodies; so a year after all of this, I finally get diagnosed with Hashimoto's autoimmune disorder.
    - Endocrinologist at University of Louisville who said these are my genetics and the weight gain was normal. Also said I just eat too much/don't burn enough energy...biggest waste of my life.

So, no theories on my doc's behalf that I'm aware of. I have my suspicions (as noted above), but that's all.
    Never heard of that one before. I hope you can find something that works for you. My wife has an autoimmune disorder that the docs can't figure out either. She's been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue, then change to Lupus, then changed to Fibromyalgia and possible something else. This has been going on for over three years. Gets pretty frustrating.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

4. BLOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

5. SHBG is low you lucky ****. Easier test binding and high igf1 man u got good natrual genes, besides the test low, i bet being on cycle works wonders on you huh?
    ~ IRON LIVER™________ *[It's just advice man, that's all it is! You can take or do whatever the FCUK you wanna do!]
    •   

6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jasen View Post
    SHBG is low you lucky ****. Easier test binding and high igf1 man u got good natrual genes, besides the test low, i bet being on cycle works wonders on you huh?
    Only cycle I've ever ran is epi bridged into h-drol, about 15 months ago. It was a resort (before I did any blood work) to attempt to cut since nothing else would work. So unfortunately I haven't been able to reap the benefits of that.

I'm pleased with the IGF-1 and the SHBG was in good order, too; same with estradiol.

And overall test really isn't bad; could be better, but it's not bad.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck could cause the high prolactin since they didn't find any prolactinomas (tumors on the pituitary). Like I said, I'm still suspicious of insulinomas or tumors elsewhere in the body. Along with that, the fasting blood sugar being high is odd/unsettling and the cholesterol numbers make me very uncomfortable.

7. wow that is rough bro.... wtf man...
    RecoverBro ELITE
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    wow that is rough bro.... wtf man...
    You're telling me. So now with the fasting blood sugar being what it is and the cholesterol levels, I fall into the lovely category of Syndrome X/Metabolic Syndrome. The best part is when you look for treatment options, it lists diet and exercise...lol. Hmmmm...I never thought of that!

9. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    You're telling me. So now with the fasting blood sugar being what it is and the cholesterol levels, I fall into the lovely category of Syndrome X/Metabolic Syndrome. The best part is when you look for treatment options, it lists diet and exercise...lol. Hmmmm...I never thought of that!
    Jeez man... what is one to do eh? You work hard in the gym and in the kitchen and still get no break... Hopefully with these tests you can get some good advice for improvement. I am at a loss lol.
    Your fasting insulin and triglycerides were okay before? perhaps they were always elevated?
    RecoverBro ELITE

10. Wow, that is mind boggling and frustrating!

I just did a quick google search for metabolic syndrome treatment and in the first two pages the only thing that didn't say diet and exercise said Metformin perscription and insulin injections.

But seriously you should consider stopping smoking.
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

11. Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Wow, that is mind boggling and frustrating!

I just did a quick google search for metabolic syndrome treatment and in the first two pages the only thing that didn't say diet and exercise said Metformin perscription and insulin injections.

Nicotine is actually pretty good for you in small doses. Just not that other stuff in the cig. And not the smoking part. Just the nicotine.

Aside from that, didnt know you smoked lol. I doubt that has THAT much to do with the fasting insulin though... though I could be wrong. I never smoked so I dont know.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

I'm assuming that was a joke by Flexy. I don't smoke I've touched maybe 3 cigarettes in my life and the last would've been sometime in early undergrad (so 6+ years ago).

I'm gonna call my doc, today, to try and get back in. I imagine the Hashimoto's acting up with my TSH going bonkers isn't helping, but I still can't see that being the major cause of this since simple caloric expenditure would suggest that this defies science.

I'm probably going to request the MRI/CT scan of the abdomen to start off, since it would show both adrenals and pancreas in one viewing. If nothing is there, I'll request lungs and thyroid. I will also likely ask for someone to look at the pituitary/brain MRI one more time to see if they had overlooked a microadenoma by any chance.

I'm ready to wear my old clothes, again lol

13. wow, quite the ordeal/journey Blake...tell them Doctors to fix you up or Fl3X will be gettin upset...and they don't want to see him upset...
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    wow, quite the ordeal/journey Blake...tell them Doctors to fix you up or Fl3X will be gettin upset...and they don't want to see him upset...
    Haha no doubt. I actually managed to get back into my doc for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll update after speaking with him.

I'll be discussing:
    - the causes of cholesterol being that way
    - request for MRI/CT scan for abdomen
    - if I should be on caber
    - thoughts on fasting blood glucose being high (my dad is diabetic and said it's nothing to worry about in his opinion)
    - if LH/FSH numbers look fine to him
    - re-visiting the high 24-hr cortisol; looking at Cushing's

That's it off the top of my head. If you guys think of anything else I should discuss, please post it.

15. Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Wow, that is mind boggling and frustrating!

That's one of the dirty habits he tries to hide because he picked it up when he was in prison. Can't say I blame him though.

16. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Haha no doubt. I actually managed to get back into my doc for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll update after speaking with him.

I'll be discussing:
    - the causes of cholesterol being that way
    - request for MRI/CT scan for abdomen
    - if I should be on caber
    - thoughts on fasting blood glucose being high (my dad is diabetic and said it's nothing to worry about in his opinion)
    - if LH/FSH numbers look fine to him
    - re-visiting the high 24-hr cortisol; looking at Cushing's

That's it off the top of my head. If you guys think of anything else I should discuss, please post it.
    Keep us updated!
    RecoverBro ELITE
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

All right; just got back from my doctor's appointment. I'm pleasantly surprised with how it went. It always ends up being reassuring to me how good this doctor is. He appreciates my research, explains to me what I don't know and doesn't try to rush me out.

I had a page and a half worth of questions and subquestions typed up to ask him. I do this, now, because I used to forget things and I do a ton of research leading into appointments, so I don't want to forget things.

A few of the highlights:

- Cholesterol isn't as bad as I made it out to be. His HDL/LDL numbers are almost identical to mine and he said anything under 140 is fine for LDL and anything under 130 is optimal. He also said that as a male, my HDL is going to run lower and that his recently just climbed up to 44 and over the 40 mark for the first time in years. This was reassuring to me. He said this couldn't lead to vasoconstriction or any hindered blood flow; though my question of whether to take a baby aspirin daily or not, he said would be fine (not necessary, but certainly wouldn't hurt things).

- LH and FSH are decent (I just never really researched these numbers and I see them mostly in TRT and PCT type threads; I just wanted to know how they stacked up).

- PTH (parathyroid hormone), though not having been checked, isn't something I should have to worry about since calcium and protein numbers have constantly been fine.

- Caber may be something we look into down the line after some more digging. He initially mentioned bromocriptine (sp), which I'd seen has more sides, anyway, so I was the one who mentioned caber and he agreed. We're not at that point, though.

- I asked about a possible dopamine depletion causing the rise in prolactin. He said that's an interesting concept, but he hadn't seen anything like that before. He said it's not impossible by any stretch, but that an endocrinologist, specifically, may have more knowledge on disorders like that. Nothing I'm taking/using should be decreasing dopamine.

- Constant "high" fasting insulin around 95 (and now 101) isn't anything to worry about. He said 126 is the marker by ACE that it has to be on more than one occasion (fasting) to qualify for diabetes. I'd asked if even though glucose looked fine (and fasting insulin) if insulin could be reacting differently. He made it sound like glucose and insulin are pretty well hand-in-hand and that my fasting insulin levels should have been really high off the mark if these issues were happening.

- He agrees it could be a micro-prolactinoma in the pituitary since it's obviously microscopic and we couldn't see it. I mentioned the abdominal scan and checking the pancreas/adrenals. He doesn't think that's likely (based on what we have so far), but isn't ruling it out.

He is going to talk to a colleague back in Indy to ask him about some things and said he'd get in touch with me next week to see about running some more blood work. If that comes up with nothing, we'll look at the abdominal MRI and go from there.

He agreed that this defies basic science and that my results do not add up to what I have been doing.

Basically, yeah, this sucks, but I have a doctor who genuinely cares and is working as hard as he can for me. And I am thankful to God for that, because this has been a really hard year and a half and bottom line is it sucks. It's nice to have someone in your corner. I have no idea what he'll come up with or what the tests will turn up. I don't know what will happen next or what the timeline on it is. But I'm trying.

18. wow! Progress with a doc! GREAT MAN!
    RecoverBro ELITE

19. It's good he is taking time to help
    ...::: Olympus Labs Athlete & Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

20. smart thing to do with the notes. bromocriptine or w/e sounded familiar then I remembered that Lyle MacDonald's first book was all about just that.
  21. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Yeah, I'd read briefly up on the bromo and caber when I was digging into possible causes for high prolactin (pretty much just a tumor, usually on the pituitary, though it could be elsewhere & depleted dopamine...that's it). So, I'll likely look at caber, but more than just taking medicine, I want to FIND what is causing the issue.

I'm also going to study Junior to look at pregnancy as a possible culprit...

But seriously, high prolactin and the bulk of the fat is around the belly...think about it. lol

22. In.
    Missed out on a lot, cliffs?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  23. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    In.
    Missed out on a lot, cliffs?
    Honestly, kind of hard to give cliffs. There are a few posts that sum things up (I know it's a long thread).

The best I can offer up is just that for the last year and a half I've been unable to lose more than a few pounds, only to watch the scale climb up. I've gained nearly 70 pounds in that year and a half (some muscle, but most not) and at this point, a lot has been ruled out and it currently defies science/logic as caloric expenditure appears to be meaningless at the moment.

24. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast

Honestly, kind of hard to give cliffs. There are a few posts that sum things up (I know it's a long thread).

The best I can offer up is just that for the last year and a half I've been unable to lose more than a few pounds, only to watch the scale climb up. I've gained nearly 70 pounds in that year and a half (some muscle, but most not) and at this point, a lot has been ruled out and it currently defies science/logic as caloric expenditure appears to be meaningless at the moment.
    So u do not look like your avi anymore?
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  25. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

So u do not look like your avi anymore?
    Haha, no.

I was probably 230 when that was taken and I'm hovering around 265, at the moment.

26. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast

Haha, no.

I was probably 230 when that was taken and I'm hovering around 265, at the moment.
    How old is the avi pic?
    U can't lose the weight even dropping
    Cals?
  27. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

How old is the avi pic?
    U can't lose the weight even dropping
    Cals?
    That pic is probably from 6-8 months ago; I'm not sure.

And it's all in the story on here. I did the hCG diet for 10 days and after the initial loss, I was gaining a pound a day while only eating 500cal and working out at the same time.

28. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast

That pic is probably from 6-8 months ago; I'm not sure.

And it's all in the story on here. I did the hCG diet for 10 days and after the initial loss, I was gaining a pound a day while only eating 500cal and working out at the same time.
    Yeah the hcg diet is shots right?
    I got to look in that...
    I wasn't sure if people give the shots them self or go to a doc

29. Do you think your prior condition of Herpasephalitous could be interfering with the results?
  30. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Do you think my prior condition of Herpasephalitous could be interfering with the results?
    I don't see how your problems are related to mine.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Need to gain weight!!!
    By jakijapuz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 01:21 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
  4. Best Gyno Treatment? Case to case basis?
    By lewisfitness in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 10:25 AM
  5. Help with weight gain
    By golden71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM