MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain! - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 5

MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain!

Page 5 of 11 First ... 3456710 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Wow, that is mind boggling and frustrating!

I just did a quick google search for metabolic syndrome treatment and in the first two pages the only thing that didn't say diet and exercise said Metformin perscription and insulin injections.

But seriously you should consider stopping smoking.
    Nicotine is actually pretty good for you in small doses. Just not that other stuff in the cig. And not the smoking part. Just the nicotine.

Aside from that, didnt know you smoked lol. I doubt that has THAT much to do with the fasting insulin though... though I could be wrong. I never smoked so I dont know.
    RecoverBro ELITE

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

I'm assuming that was a joke by Flexy. I don't smoke I've touched maybe 3 cigarettes in my life and the last would've been sometime in early undergrad (so 6+ years ago).

I'm gonna call my doc, today, to try and get back in. I imagine the Hashimoto's acting up with my TSH going bonkers isn't helping, but I still can't see that being the major cause of this since simple caloric expenditure would suggest that this defies science.

I'm probably going to request the MRI/CT scan of the abdomen to start off, since it would show both adrenals and pancreas in one viewing. If nothing is there, I'll request lungs and thyroid. I will also likely ask for someone to look at the pituitary/brain MRI one more time to see if they had overlooked a microadenoma by any chance.

I'm ready to wear my old clothes, again lol
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

3. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

wow, quite the ordeal/journey Blake...tell them Doctors to fix you up or Fl3X will be gettin upset...and they don't want to see him upset...
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22

•   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post
    wow, quite the ordeal/journey Blake...tell them Doctors to fix you up or Fl3X will be gettin upset...and they don't want to see him upset...
    Haha no doubt. I actually managed to get back into my doc for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll update after speaking with him.

I'll be discussing:
    - the causes of cholesterol being that way
    - request for MRI/CT scan for abdomen
    - if I should be on caber
    - thoughts on fasting blood glucose being high (my dad is diabetic and said it's nothing to worry about in his opinion)
    - if LH/FSH numbers look fine to him
    - re-visiting the high 24-hr cortisol; looking at Cushing's

That's it off the top of my head. If you guys think of anything else I should discuss, please post it.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    Wow, that is mind boggling and frustrating!

I just did a quick google search for metabolic syndrome treatment and in the first two pages the only thing that didn't say diet and exercise said Metformin perscription and insulin injections.

But seriously you should consider stopping smoking.
    That's one of the dirty habits he tries to hide because he picked it up when he was in prison. Can't say I blame him though.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Haha no doubt. I actually managed to get back into my doc for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll update after speaking with him.

I'll be discussing:
    - the causes of cholesterol being that way
    - request for MRI/CT scan for abdomen
    - if I should be on caber
    - thoughts on fasting blood glucose being high (my dad is diabetic and said it's nothing to worry about in his opinion)
    - if LH/FSH numbers look fine to him
    - re-visiting the high 24-hr cortisol; looking at Cushing's

That's it off the top of my head. If you guys think of anything else I should discuss, please post it.
    Keep us updated!
    RecoverBro ELITE

7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

All right; just got back from my doctor's appointment. I'm pleasantly surprised with how it went. It always ends up being reassuring to me how good this doctor is. He appreciates my research, explains to me what I don't know and doesn't try to rush me out.

I had a page and a half worth of questions and subquestions typed up to ask him. I do this, now, because I used to forget things and I do a ton of research leading into appointments, so I don't want to forget things.

A few of the highlights:

- Cholesterol isn't as bad as I made it out to be. His HDL/LDL numbers are almost identical to mine and he said anything under 140 is fine for LDL and anything under 130 is optimal. He also said that as a male, my HDL is going to run lower and that his recently just climbed up to 44 and over the 40 mark for the first time in years. This was reassuring to me. He said this couldn't lead to vasoconstriction or any hindered blood flow; though my question of whether to take a baby aspirin daily or not, he said would be fine (not necessary, but certainly wouldn't hurt things).

- LH and FSH are decent (I just never really researched these numbers and I see them mostly in TRT and PCT type threads; I just wanted to know how they stacked up).

- PTH (parathyroid hormone), though not having been checked, isn't something I should have to worry about since calcium and protein numbers have constantly been fine.

- Caber may be something we look into down the line after some more digging. He initially mentioned bromocriptine (sp), which I'd seen has more sides, anyway, so I was the one who mentioned caber and he agreed. We're not at that point, though.

- I asked about a possible dopamine depletion causing the rise in prolactin. He said that's an interesting concept, but he hadn't seen anything like that before. He said it's not impossible by any stretch, but that an endocrinologist, specifically, may have more knowledge on disorders like that. Nothing I'm taking/using should be decreasing dopamine.

- Constant "high" fasting insulin around 95 (and now 101) isn't anything to worry about. He said 126 is the marker by ACE that it has to be on more than one occasion (fasting) to qualify for diabetes. I'd asked if even though glucose looked fine (and fasting insulin) if insulin could be reacting differently. He made it sound like glucose and insulin are pretty well hand-in-hand and that my fasting insulin levels should have been really high off the mark if these issues were happening.

- He agrees it could be a micro-prolactinoma in the pituitary since it's obviously microscopic and we couldn't see it. I mentioned the abdominal scan and checking the pancreas/adrenals. He doesn't think that's likely (based on what we have so far), but isn't ruling it out.

He is going to talk to a colleague back in Indy to ask him about some things and said he'd get in touch with me next week to see about running some more blood work. If that comes up with nothing, we'll look at the abdominal MRI and go from there.

He agreed that this defies basic science and that my results do not add up to what I have been doing.

Basically, yeah, this sucks, but I have a doctor who genuinely cares and is working as hard as he can for me. And I am thankful to God for that, because this has been a really hard year and a half and bottom line is it sucks. It's nice to have someone in your corner. I have no idea what he'll come up with or what the tests will turn up. I don't know what will happen next or what the timeline on it is. But I'm trying.

8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

wow! Progress with a doc! GREAT MAN!
    RecoverBro ELITE

9. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Answers

It's good he is taking time to help
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN

10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

smart thing to do with the notes. bromocriptine or w/e sounded familiar then I remembered that Lyle MacDonald's first book was all about just that.

11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, I'd read briefly up on the bromo and caber when I was digging into possible causes for high prolactin (pretty much just a tumor, usually on the pituitary, though it could be elsewhere & depleted dopamine...that's it). So, I'll likely look at caber, but more than just taking medicine, I want to FIND what is causing the issue.

I'm also going to study Junior to look at pregnancy as a possible culprit...

But seriously, high prolactin and the bulk of the fat is around the belly...think about it. lol

12. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

In.
    Missed out on a lot, cliffs?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com

13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    In.
    Missed out on a lot, cliffs?
    Honestly, kind of hard to give cliffs. There are a few posts that sum things up (I know it's a long thread).

The best I can offer up is just that for the last year and a half I've been unable to lose more than a few pounds, only to watch the scale climb up. I've gained nearly 70 pounds in that year and a half (some muscle, but most not) and at this point, a lot has been ruled out and it currently defies science/logic as caloric expenditure appears to be meaningless at the moment.

14. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast

Honestly, kind of hard to give cliffs. There are a few posts that sum things up (I know it's a long thread).

The best I can offer up is just that for the last year and a half I've been unable to lose more than a few pounds, only to watch the scale climb up. I've gained nearly 70 pounds in that year and a half (some muscle, but most not) and at this point, a lot has been ruled out and it currently defies science/logic as caloric expenditure appears to be meaningless at the moment.
    So u do not look like your avi anymore?
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com

15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

So u do not look like your avi anymore?
    Haha, no.

I was probably 230 when that was taken and I'm hovering around 265, at the moment.

16. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Haha, no.

I was probably 230 when that was taken and I'm hovering around 265, at the moment.
    How old is the avi pic?
    U can't lose the weight even dropping
    Cals?
    www.InsaneVeins.com

17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

How old is the avi pic?
    U can't lose the weight even dropping
    Cals?
    That pic is probably from 6-8 months ago; I'm not sure.

And it's all in the story on here. I did the hCG diet for 10 days and after the initial loss, I was gaining a pound a day while only eating 500cal and working out at the same time.

18. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

That pic is probably from 6-8 months ago; I'm not sure.

And it's all in the story on here. I did the hCG diet for 10 days and after the initial loss, I was gaining a pound a day while only eating 500cal and working out at the same time.
    Yeah the hcg diet is shots right?
    I got to look in that...
    I wasn't sure if people give the shots them self or go to a doc
    www.InsaneVeins.com

19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Do you think your prior condition of Herpasephalitous could be interfering with the results?

20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Do you think my prior condition of Herpasephalitous could be interfering with the results?
    I don't see how your problems are related to mine.

21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I don't see how your problems are related to mine.
    uh...remember when we dated before Flex got in the way? It's communicable.

22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Okay, so Matt brought up some interesting info on a specific diet (beyond just gluten-free) being necessary for Hashimoto's sufferers.

To me, I still find it so hard to defy the science of caloric expenditure, but, who am I to question this, since the evidence of burning X calories and eating Y calories doesn't result in weight loss when my caloric maintenance level was only Y. As ignorant as this may sound to many, too, I believe that God can defy science and if there's something He is trying to teach me through all of this, if He created the world, He can certainly do something as simple as keep my body from working as science would dictate (I don't intend for this to go off into a Christianity rant, or anything, either - so if you disagree with this, I understand, but please don't muddy this thread up with the topic).

Anyway, if we're taking this into consideration (the specific foods-only diet being the only way of working) and we also look at Hashimoto's being the cause of it because of an auto-immune disorder where the body is attacking its own thyroid, then wouldn't it certainly be worth looking into just removing the thyroid? If I'm treating the thyroid and the body with synthetic hormones, anyway, what detriment would it be to do this? What are the drawbacks to having my thyroid removed if I already have to take pills for it every day for the rest of my life?

In theory, wouldn't that eliminate the auto immune disorder, thus eliminating the food-sensitivity issues? Or, does that stem further from this and will that constantly be a GI issue that I'll always face? If it is, can the GI issue be specified and then treated?

My mind is working at a mile a minute because it's becoming more and more evident how much of a problem this has become. I now have enough of a gut that even when sucked in, it still hangs over the front of my slacks and I'll actually sweat under it...that is just beyond disgusting to me, as well as heart-breaking.

I watched 50/50, last night (great movie, btw, and very much heart-wrenching), and afterward, I was flipping through my external hard drive files and I found my folder of videos from high school and college. It broke my heart to see the shape I was in, then, and thinking back to how fat I thought I was at the time. It's screwed up, but this makes me understand that I certainly had issues back then, because I was not fat. I saw video of myself from spring break in '09 and my abs were readily visible (still not as cut up in the lower section as I'd wanted, but still) and I had the v-taper down my stomach. My chest was really striated. And I was happy with myself, then, but I still felt like I needed to cut up, more. Sure, I could have - and needed to if I were to compete - but I was in amazing shape...and still didn't think I was where I needed to be.

Now, here I am. I'm actually not depressed, right now, but it's just really putting things into perspective. But it's really hard to keep doing this. I ate pizza last night. The worst part was, I wasn't even really hungry and I easily could have done without it. Why did I order it? Because I worked late and because whether I ate pizza or didn't wouldn't make me lose any weight (even though eating it probably made things a little bit worse).

I just want to figure this out. I want to be able to start moving in the right direction, again. I want people, when they see me, to think of me as the guy who leads a healthy life in all areas; not as some meathead who appears to lift a lot but not follow any type of a diet.

I just get tired.

23. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

I haven't made many post on this topic even though I am very familiar with your issues. A true gluten free diet will work and bring your antibody count (tpo) down pretty significant in a matter of weeks in most cases. You should also see a change in your tsh as well.

Now there is a book out there that might even be on amazon. It is called "why do I still have thyroid problems" the author is Datis Kharrazian. It is a good read to learn fron this.

Also look up a Dr. Robert Boydston and the boydston institute. He takes phone consultations and long distance treatment options.

I think you would be very surprised on how in depth and detailed information he can help with.

24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Now let me be clear. I am not a doctor more of a jack of all master of none. Lol. The gluten free diet once again does work in controlling the issue. I have never read or heard of anyone being cured from it. As you know my mother has this and when you were talking about this from the get go, I mentioned hashimotos. Mainly because everything fit. I don't have any advice on removing the thyroid. Although your logic sounds good. I would be affraid it will have negative effects rather than positive. But that is just me thinking out loud.

25. Senior Member
    Answers

Hey bro,
    Wow that's a lot going on but honestly, I've heard worse. You just took the time to write it all out which is therapeutic in itself. Now what you need to do is get back to the basics...You have done a ton of mental gymnastics now its time to just go back and reset. Square one. Diet and Nutrition. Then find a "good" exercise program that you STICK to, not a "perfect" one and that's it. Challenge yourself daily, set and reset your goals. You can do it

26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Chris Kresser is really good for this type of stuff. He specializes in the auto immune for thyroid (Hashimoto's) So I would just listen to his stuff for now. Just to get the basics. Even the Anti-Aging/TRT guys like Matrix follow similar practices of healing.

http://chriskresser.com/basics-of-im...for-hashimotos

http://chriskresser.com/why-changing...ing-hashimotos

http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-4

Last one is a podcast. Now his podcasts arent very interesting... His voice puts most to sleep. I like Robb Wolf's podcasts MUCH better.

http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

http://robbwolf.com/2011/02/22/the-p...on-episode-68/

These will get you started. I have listened to all of Robb's podcasts and Chris's. Also, I have read almost everything on their sites.

Dont get stuck in the Im scared of everything paranoia though.. My wife was pissed...(So now I just tell her Im allergic to flour, Which worked seeing that my auto immune disease "Vitiligo" has almost completely disappeared since eliminating all flour from July.)
    RecoverBro ELITE

27. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag
    Chris Kresser is really good for this type of stuff. He specializes in the auto immune for thyroid (Hashimoto's) So I would just listen to his stuff for now. Just to get the basics. Even the Anti-Aging/TRT guys like Matrix follow similar practices of healing.

Last one is a podcast. Now his podcasts arent very interesting... His voice puts most to sleep. I like Robb Wolf's podcasts MUCH better.

These will get you started. I have listened to all of Robb's podcasts and Chris's. Also, I have read almost everything on their sites.

Dont get stuck in the Im scared of everything paranoia though.. My wife was pissed...(So now I just tell her Im allergic to flour, Which worked seeing that my auto immune disease "Vitiligo" has almost completely disappeared since eliminating all flour from July.)
    He is amazing. Kresser, Taubes, Robb wolf and Matt lelonde
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN

28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    I haven't made many post on this topic even though I am very familiar with your issues. A true gluten free diet will work and bring your antibody count (tpo) down pretty significant in a matter of weeks in most cases. You should also see a change in your tsh as well.

Now there is a book out there that might even be on amazon. It is called "why do I still have thyroid problems" the author is Datis Kharrazian. It is a good read to learn fron this.

Also look up a Dr. Robert Boydston and the boydston institute. He takes phone consultations and long distance treatment options.

I think you would be very surprised on how in depth and detailed information he can help with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    Now let me be clear. I am not a doctor more of a jack of all master of none. Lol. The gluten free diet once again does work in controlling the issue. I have never read or heard of anyone being cured from it. As you know my mother has this and when you were talking about this from the get go, I mentioned hashimotos. Mainly because everything fit. I don't have any advice on removing the thyroid. Although your logic sounds good. I would be affraid it will have negative effects rather than positive. But that is just me thinking out loud.
    Thanks for the info, man. Yeah, it's really frustrating that 90% of hypothyroidism cases are caused by Hashimoto's and yet the GP nor the endo I saw in the first 7 months bothered to test antibodies. What's worse is that I actually requested that back in May or June and the nurse practitioner in the endo's office said she would, but sure enough, they never did.

After reading more of the info that Matt linked, they say that too much iodine can actually cause Hashimoto's; I supplemented iodine back in June for about a month. Things seemed to get worse around then, but that was also the 2 month stretch that I only went to the gym 5 times each month, compared to the normal 20. Since I didn't have a baseline of antibodies, beforehand, it just made m a little nervous that I gave myself Hashimoto's from taking in too much iodine. I doubt that's the case, but still.

As for the thyroid removal, I have a feeling it wouldn't do any good. If it did, why on earth wouldn't that be common practice?

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Hey bro,
    Wow that's a lot going on but honestly, I've heard worse. You just took the time to write it all out which is therapeutic in itself. Now what you need to do is get back to the basics...You have done a ton of mental gymnastics now its time to just go back and reset. Square one. Diet and Nutrition. Then find a "good" exercise program that you STICK to, not a "perfect" one and that's it. Challenge yourself daily, set and reset your goals. You can do it
    Thanks for stopping in. Yes, writing definitely helps. It also allows me to go back to see what I was feeling and also experiencing. The fact of the matter, though, is that I have a great exercise program that I do in fact stick to. I've been lifting consistently for 11+ years; I only took summers off back when I played baseball because it messed with my swing, and then the 2 months I mentioned in the above post where I only hit it 5 days/month. Outside of that, I haven't not followed a plan. As for the nutrition, I don't know if you'd read through this entire thread or not (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, because it's a ton), but I've tried a number of things and really outside of that 2 month window where I let depression set in more than I should have, I eat cleaner (and less) than a vast majority. The biggest problem is that if it's the gluten intolerance, it can take ~6 months for it to clear, so I've obviously never done that for long enough. I'm starting, today.

After reading more of Matt's links, though, if it really does need to be the diet that is suggested at one point, that is going to be incredibly difficult and expensive to swing. I supplement with a lot of protein because it's cheap and because I can eat it at work. Apparently, they state that the casein can leak through the gut lining and that's why dairy isn't allowed. I love cheese, but if I had to get rid of it to get better, so be it. Taking away protein, too? Not so easy. The biggest thing is, that's still all speculation. We have no idea if cutting the protein out will fix it or not. I've been down the road of trying X and Y, before, and it hasn't paid off - it's only resulted in making life more miserable in the meantime.

I'm not saying I won't do it and I'm not saying that this isn't what has to be done, but I'm certainly not ready to jump head first into that diet. Eliminating gluten isn't something that bothers me; I should have done it a long time ago.

What still doesn't make sense is the science of calories in versus calories out and how one can actually gain weight at 500kcal while working out to burn off calories, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post

Thanks for the links, man. I'm in the process of reading through all of the Kresser sub-links, still. It's a lot of information and it's definitely overwhelming. It just makes it seem like there are so many more options.

I'll be speaking with my doctor, today, to see what his colleague in Indy had to say and see what he recommends as far as more testing before looking at the abdominal MRI.

I'm curious if any type of testing/scan would be able to show evidence of gut-leaking. The weirdest thing about all of it is that quite a while back, I'd just mentioned in passing when talking to my parents that I was curious if there was any way that what I was eating wasn't following the correct order and it was somehow being let out into my body instead of being processed and passed. Now I realize that gut-leak isn't the same thing, but it's just odd if that's what it is or what it's related to.

It certainly would make sense that either high cortisol or a number of other factors are leading to decreased sensitivity of thyroid receptors, because I've watched my numbers go very far into range with no changes or feeling different (still shedding hair, no improved metabolism, etc.).

29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Here is my motivational input for the day (us RecoverBro's have to stick together!):

You can do it.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com

30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

In short yes they can test for leakage. Back when I had gotten real sick and had a foot and a half of my large intestine removed is when the doctors said they can test for it. And it is recommended for athletes that use suplements to get it done periodically. Mainly because of all the different products that are mixed together.

A colonoscopy can be done to check for this to a degree as well. To see if there are any polyps or perforations in the inner walls of the intestine as well.

31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Hows your C reactive protein?
    For me that was hella elevated. I think the base levels are around .1-1.2? Mine was 5.6. C reactive protein tests for systematic inflammation. Granted it will be elevated after you workout, if you are stressed, or if you are sick. I doubt it would reach as high as mine did though under those circumstances. At least, that's what my wife (A nurse here in Japan) said. She was baffled. I should remind her what eliminating gluten did for my life.. her mom keeps saying I should get some allergy test... Seriously.. do they wanna feed me poison? I don't even like cake/pie/cookies/etc. I havent eaten anything with flour in it for like 6 months... I don't miss it at all... if they took away meat though... Id probably just say I will die sooner and live unhappier....
    RecoverBro ELITE

32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Hows your C reactive protein?
    For me that was hella elevated. I think the base levels are around .1-1.2? Mine was 5.6. C reactive protein tests for systematic inflammation. Granted it will be elevated after you workout, if you are stressed, or if you are sick. I doubt it would reach as high as mine did though under those circumstances. At least, that's what my wife (A nurse here in Japan) said. She was baffled. I should remind her what eliminating gluten did for my life.. her mom keeps saying I should get some allergy test... Seriously.. do they wanna feed me poison? I don't even like cake/pie/cookies/etc. I havent eaten anything with flour in it for like 6 months... I don't miss it at all... if they took away meat though... Id probably just say I will die sooner and live unhappier....
    I don't know that I've had that tested, off the top of my head. All of my labs are loaded up on page 1. If I were to have that tested, I'm assuming that the morning after a day I didn't work out would be optimal, yes?

33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know that I've had that tested, off the top of my head. All of my labs are loaded up on page 1. If I were to have that tested, I'm assuming that the morning after a day I didn't work out would be optimal, yes?
    Yea, but to be sure I would try to look online and ask your doctor about how you should approach the test so that it will show base line systematic inflammation versus some skewed number reflecting some minor/infrequent stressor.
    RecoverBro ELITE

34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Yea, but to be sure I would try to look online and ask your doctor about how you should approach the test so that it will show base line systematic inflammation versus some skewed number reflecting some minor/infrequent stressor.
    Thank you, Matt. You've been an unbelievable help. As has everyone else in this thread.

Ever since I've moved down to KY, I haven't done the best job in finding new friends to spend time with outside of work. It was largely due to my age and my lack of desire to go out drinking, etc. The weight gain has certainly led me to not feel like myself and therefore I don't approach people the same way that I always have (very outgoing and social).

Anyway, having all of you to converse with has been incredibly helpful to me and means more than you guys probably will ever know.

I'm probably going to go on a post-rampage over the next few hours (as I keep reading this stuff), so don't feel inclined to respond or answer; it's more of a way for me to collect my thoughts and make sure I don't miss/overlook anything, later (I write a lot of notes down, too, so when I discuss things with my doc, I don't forget something that stuck out to me).

35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

The following passage really stuck out to me and is one that summarizes my experiences pretty well. Starting from 50mcg T4, then 112mcg, then cutting it and running 100mcg T3 for 10 weeks, then running just 25mcg T3 only for the past 3 months, now running the 25mcg T3 + 50mcg Synthroid (brand name; not generic) for the past 2 weeks or so with no alleviation/change in symptoms.

While there’s no practical way to measure receptor site sensitivity in a clinical setting, the research above suggests it is decreased in autoimmune and other inflammatory conditions. A perfect example of this in practice is the Hashimoto’s patient who is taking replacement hormones but still suffers from hypothyroid symptoms – often in spite of repeated changes in the dose and type of medication. In these patients, inflammation is depressing thyroid receptor site sensitivity and producing hypothyroid symptoms, even though lab markers like TSH, T4 and T3 may be normal.
    ref: http://chriskresser.com/5-ways-that-...yroid-symptoms

36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Matt, what is your stance on "modified food starch" in terms of its relation to gluten. When I'd done some digging on it a while back, it appeared to show up fine, as they said over the years it has turned more into using something else as filler than gluten (though I can't recall what, exactly, now). However, in one of Kresser's articles, he mentions them using modified food starch as a filler for thyroid meds, which proves to be troublesome for those with an intolerance, because of it containing gluten.

Is it just a case by case basis where you have to specifically find out from that company when you see "modified food starch" listed on a label?

37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Other studies have shown that changes in the gut flora can increase the rate at which we absorb fatty acids and carbohydrates, and increase the storage of calories as fat. This means that someone with bad gut flora could eat the same amount of food as someone with a healthy gut, but extract more calories from it and gain more weight.
    ref: http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gu...to-weight-loss

38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

By the way, just read a post about fecal transplant to help regulate someone's gut...beyond disgusting.

39. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I am know I have to cut all carbs and sugars. My body just hangs on to them

40. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Ok that didn't make any sense. I know I need to cut carbs and sugars

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
  2. Need to gain weight!!!
    By jakijapuz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
  4. Best Gyno Treatment? Case to case basis?
    By lewisfitness in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM
  5. Help with weight gain
    By golden71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM