MidwestBeast in: The Case of the Mysterious Weight Gain!

Page 14 of 17 First ... 1213141516 ... Last
  1. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    The thing is, Matt, that I don't feel bad or any different when I eat anything. Whether it's dairy, wheat, etc., I feel no different. So it's not a matter where, like you, I notice any difference from foods. Is there an allergy/intolerance? There very well is, but I feel miserable enough (because I'm fat and can't lose a pound; simple as that) as is and I'm not going to drive myself into a lack of will of wanting to live by eliminating even more from my diet. If I have an allergy test that pops hot on something, then I'll do what I have to do, but there's no way I'm doing the gaps diet on my own without any data suggesting it. I have no problems giving up gluten for life; the others, I do.


    I'm gonna call my doc's office in a bit and see if I can't get in early next week. It should be a matter of he and I finding a new doctor to work with, but I'll be talking to him about dealing with an endocrinologist (which would specifically make sense because of the prolactin issue) or a doctor who specializes in the immune system (which I feel is the key at this point). I'll also have a list of tests I'll bring in; I will request that everyone he has access to, we run. So far, on that list are: Vitamin D, immune panel (hopefully figuring if TH-1 or TH-2 dominance is occuring), food allergies, 4x saliva cortisol, new thyroid labs to see where things are after adding Synthroid back in (T4, T3, TSH, FT4, FT3, rT3, TPO, TPO-Ab, Tg-Ab). I have some others written down and I'm sure I'll have more, but I want to get a jump start on having this information on hand for when I meet with my next doctor.

    He'd mentioned Vanderbilt, but I'll also ask if he has any recommendations back up in Indy. It's only a half-hour difference between the two, and if I went the Indy route (largely in case he still has direct contacts there), I could meet up with my parents more easily as that's a 3.5 hour drive for them. Like I said, I'm really leaning more toward the autoimmune route at this point and a doctor who specializes in that. Only 3 chapters into the book I'm reading, there are a lot of cases with similar symptoms/experiences as myself and a lot of them have been able to A) correct the issue after handling the immune side and B) stop taking thyroid hormone.

    I'll see what I come up with as I continue to read and make notes of other tests I want to have ran.

    I somewhat expected the outcome of today while I was in bed, last night. It seems like it's been one thing after another as far as "Oh! It has to be this!" over and over. After reading just those first 3 chapters of the book, I already thought, "It's probably this and nothing that the abdominal scan will show." However, I still wanted to have it checked just to rule it out and also because I've always had stomach issues of some sort or another. My dad has an autoimmune disorder; it's what has led to his diabetes (which they call type 1.5 because it falls between the two). It makes sense that an autoimmune disorder is causing the main problems. I always wondered why Hashimoto's was even a big deal to diagnose because the treatment was still the same as hypothyroidism: exogenous thyroid hormone. But as I've continued to research, I've learned that while that's the common treatment, it's not actually the correcttreatment for Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder that just so happens to affect the thyroid. Therefore, the course of action to be taken is addressing the autoimmune disorder and figure out what is causing it; whether it's a food intolerance, antigens, inflammation, etc.

    So, I'm back to the drawing board, but I've got another 200 or so pages left of this book to read, which I intend on completing before the weekend is up, allowing me to have a better perspective of what to ask for when I meet with my doctor next and anticipate finding a new doctor.

    Even with all of this, and today essentially not giving me any answers (though it did; just like my brain MRI, it showed nothing wrong...which is so wonderful to know that once this other issue is addressed, I have that health working in my favor), I feel much better, today. I have a renewed sense of finding out what's wrong and correcting it.

    I'm not going to lie, I felt pretty low, last night. I've never been suicidal and I'd never kill myself for a number of reasons. It's a coward's way out, it's a nice sentence to Hell, and most of all, it would be more devastating and hurtful to my parents and I'd never put them through that. All that said, in my mind, I did play out the scenario of doing it (gun to the temple). Now don't misconstrue this as a cry for help or especially not a want for pity. It is neither. I am simply being 100% honest and truthful in all of my postings. Withholding my feelings or experiences doesn't do anyone reading this, who may be suffering from something comparable or at least a hurt that's comparable, any good. So please, there's no reason to bring this back up, but I did want to mention it, because I was feeling that low, last night. Now here I am today and feeling quite the opposite. I still feel like crap because I weigh 270 pounds, haha, but I have a drive and a desire.

    I just want this thread to continue to be a place of honesty and a chance for anyone reading to understand how cumbersome things like this can be. One of the cases I read about last night was a woman who had dealt with this for 20 years. I can't even fathom that. I just think most people who suffer from things like this aren't bodybuilders or people who wish to do that with their lives. It has always been my goal to have a body that is in immaculate condition and one day step on a stage or end up in a magazine, so it's different than someone who just has an extra 10 or 20 lbs that they carry and "don't like" but can live with. I was going through old pictures, last night, of college and grad school. I saw emotion on my face and in my eyes and smile that I don't see, anymore. I've been fighting this thing so long that I think I've forgotten what I should actually feel like. Sure, I laugh, still and I smile at some things. But so much of what I do is just a cover to appease those I come in contact with and maybe even myself, so I don't get engulfed by the questions of what's wrong and why; I've just answered them enough and don't care to address them any further--and I still don't have a definite answer, myself.

    I feel as though I'm rambling a bit, now. But I did want to update the bulk of this post to be mentioned for anyone reading who might care. Just know that I am fine, friends, and I appreciate each and every one of you. Just knowing that I have others hoping for my return to health and happiness means more to me than I could ever express in words. Thank you.

  2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Oh, and seeing the results from the scan was pretty cool. For anyone who ever has one done, they really don't show you as clear as you might think. A lot of it just looks like different shapes and shades of color; it wasn't nearly as detailed as by dynamic brain MRI. The radiologist who looked it over was really nice and he scrolled through it with me and explained everything. One cool thing (aside from him explaining that all of it looked like a perfect bill of health) was seeing all of the muscle. He pointed out my abs and then you could see all the muscle in my back, too. It was crazy how much there was (if only there wasn't this extra 60 or so pounds of fat in the way lol).
    •   
       

  3. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I also forgot to mention that I'll be requesting caber to combat the high prolactin. I'd initially wanted to wait on that in case it would have been an adenoma somewhere that we were looking for and I didn't want to skew anything by treating with caber, since I really just wanted to find the key problem. However, at this point, I don't see prolactin being related to an autoimmune disorder unless it's just screwing with the pituitary instructions. Either way, I want to start treating it so I don't risk any gyno or any (more than it already is) decreased risk of being able to have children.
  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter121 View Post
    s the T3 seeming to help you out any? Just seems odd that you say you are closer to 260 now, and have been on T3 for a bit right?
    No, it isn't. There are two things I speculate. One is the high cortisol can dull thyroid receptor sites from doing anything, thus allowing perfect numbers on blood tests, but no alleviation/change in symptoms.

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter121 View Post
    I am in for this one brother. After all the test done had the doc said anything about hashimoto thyroiditis (sp?). My mother actually has this and alot of what you have said falls in line with some of the things she was dealing with besides the fact she has MS.
    Well, my doc is a GP and he said in our last meeting if the abdominal scan came up clean that he'd recommend referring me to endocrinology at Vanderbilt. He acknowledges the Hashimoto's being caused by something else but still doesn't see treatment of it being any different than with thyroid hormone. So, I'll be reading the rest of this book and then speaking with him next week and hopefully getting him to sign off on as many lab tests as are offered locally that I request. I'll also be deciding if an endocrinologist or someone else would be best suited to work on the immune disorder situation.

    Ideally (heck, knowing my luck, this won't work lol), the immune panel will point toward whether I'm TH-1 or TH-2 dominant and that way I can try to supplement to balance it back out. I'll also have Vitamin D checked to see if that needs supplementation (I imagine it does). It'll be a matter of sorting out if there are any allergens/antigens found and then trying to figure out if the issues are coming from the gut or somewhere else.

    Additionally, I need to confirm high cortisol levels with either another 24-hour urine test or a 4x cortisol test and also figure out what on earth is provoking the high prolactin levels. Those are the two things that don't fit in as clearly with the rest of the picture.
  5. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I spent all day, yesterday, calling my doctor's office and getting either a busy signal or the answering machine that picked up after 1 ring lol. I can't say I'm surprised by any of this. I try my best not to leave messages because you have no idea how long it'll take them to respond. Not to mention, I'm just trying to schedule an appointment. I haven't had any luck getting through, today, either. I'll be continuing to call to hopefully get through. I'd drive over there on my lunch break, but their hours are so random that they very well may just be closed, today, and I'd be in rage mode if I drove over to find that.

    I put together a list of tests, along with my reasoning for each. I'm going to try to get my doc to sign off on as many of them as he will. I'm going to ask him if he'll get me a scrip for caber to start on that to lower prolactin in the meantime, as well as see if he has any recommendations for an immunologist. He had mentioned endocrinology at Vanderbilt, but the more I think about it, the more I think that's the wrong route. Even if I get a good endo, I'll likely still have someone who is overlooking the Hashimoto's and focusing on lab ranges on blood work; not figuring out and correcting the root cause.
    •   
       

  6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar



    And I just got through to the doc's, finally. He is apparently out this week, too lol. I've got an appt scheduled for the 23rd, but I'll probably be trying to hunt down someone new in the meantime.

    Funny thing about all this is that he had wanted me to drop in this week to have my basic thyroid labs done/checked again, anyway. I'm not sure how he planned on doing that when he couldn't be there to sign off on them.
  7. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Also, I don't know how people can willingly accept being fat. I'm to the point, now, where my gut in fact hangs over my pants when I sit down and the bottom of it gets sore and irritated from my belt. I cannot wait to correct this.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast
    Also, I don't know how people can willingly accept being fat. I'm to the point, now, where my gut in fact hangs over my pants when I sit down and the bottom of it gets sore and irritated from my belt. I cannot wait to correct this.
    Damn bro.
    This is odd. How long did it take for your body to transition like that?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  9. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Damn bro.
    This is odd. How long did it take for your body to transition like that?
    It's been ongoing for a while. May of '10 was when I was at 208 and my lowest recent weight. After a week or two, it had managed to jump to 220 lol and I wasn't even eating badly; just not as restricted as the previous 4 weeks straight without 1 cheat meal or cheat food (literally not one thing). Then I decided to bulk for the first time in my life at my friend's suggestion. I went up to 244 in 7 weeks. I added an inch and a quarter to my waist, but a ton of muscle (strength shot through the roof like I assume what a cycle feels like because for the first time in my life, I was giving my body enough calories). From that point, over the next 8 months or so, my weight was pretty much stalled out. I got down to 230 when I was doing the hCG diet, before my weight started increasing at 500 cal/day. I was at 245-248 last June when I was in Hawaii and I'm now around 270.

    The worst has obviously been from July until now. Though all of it's pretty miserable in my book, because at 200-208 I had a six pack.

  10. That is just insane bro! Doesn't make any sense.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience

  11. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast

    It's been ongoing for a while. May of '10 was when I was at 208 and my lowest recent weight. After a week or two, it had managed to jump to 220 lol and I wasn't even eating badly; just not as restricted as the previous 4 weeks straight without 1 cheat meal or cheat food (literally not one thing). Then I decided to bulk for the first time in my life at my friend's suggestion. I went up to 244 in 7 weeks. I added an inch and a quarter to my waist, but a ton of muscle (strength shot through the roof like I assume what a cycle feels like because for the first time in my life, I was giving my body enough calories). From that point, over the next 8 months or so, my weight was pretty much stalled out. I got down to 230 when I was doing the hCG diet, before my weight started increasing at 500 cal/day. I was at 245-248 last June when I was in Hawaii and I'm now around 270.

    The worst has obviously been from July until now. Though all of it's pretty miserable in my book, because at 200-208 I had a six pack.
    Weird.
    Maybe could be something with how you were eating b4 and then how u started to eat to bulk up maybe...?

    How were u as a kid teenager with eating and lifting and body comp?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Weird.
    Maybe could be something with how you were eating b4 and then how u started to eat to bulk up maybe...?

    How were u as a kid teenager with eating and lifting and body comp?
    It's more complex than that.

    When someone gains weight at 500 kcal/day and still working out, that pretty well defies science.

    Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm on the right path to addressing it, now. I just won't know until I can get the labs done that I want.

  13. ITs not rocket science you just have to look in the right places. For Drs this is usually under their noses, but they are looking every where else.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by hunter121
    I am in for this one brother. After all the test done had the doc said anything about hashimoto thyroiditis (sp?). My mother actually has this and alot of what you have said falls in line with some of the things she was dealing with besides the fact she has MS.
    Wow sorry to heat about your mom. I too have to deal with the ms and hashimoto among other things with my mom. Not sure what you know or how long you have had to deal with it. But if you have any questions just ask.

    Ask far as blake. I have talked to him about this a while back. So far no ms thank god.
    Chaos and Pain -Rep

    Use Discount code: onlychevy620 for your 20% off

  15. I just stopped by to say, "Happy VD Blakey-Poo."

    <Fl3x Wuz Hurr>
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  16. I believe in you <3
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    ITs not rocket science you just have to look in the right places. For Drs this is usually under their noses, but they are looking every where else.
    Yeah, aint that the truth.

    In my post on page 17, near the bottom, would you agree the tests I'm trying to pursue are good? Would there be anything you'd recommend outside of what's there?

    What I'm running with at the moment is nailing down the balance of my immune system to see where TH-1 and TH-2 rate (and also factoring in the CD4/CD8 ratio), along with where my vitamin D levels are (I'd venture to guess deficient and at least certainly not high in range) and determining/reaffirming if cortisol is in fact high by the salivary adrenal index. Based on those results, likely supplement with vitamin D along with supplements that favor the weak side in the TH-1/TH-2 equilibrium to balance it/them back out.

  18. I believe in you <3
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

  19. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf
    I believe in you <3
    ^^^
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

  20. Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    ^^^
    ^^^
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

  21. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf

    ^^^
    ^^^
    ^^^
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience

  22. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf
    I believe in you <3
    This

    Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM

    ^^^
    This

    Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf

    ^^^
    This

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift

    ^^^
    ^^^
    This
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

  23. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast
    Right
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
  24. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    So I was doing some browsing around, this afternoon, and found a doctor in Nashville who was in the search directory from Dr. Kharrazian's site:

    http://www.youralternativedoctor.com/

    It's funny, because he's a chiropractor (like so many of the doctors who wrote in with success stories in Dr. K's book), but all of the info he has on his site is in line with what the book discussed. I called, but they're only in the office Mon-Thurs. I need to find out if my insurance would cover meeting with him (I doubt it will) and how much it would cost, if not.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Need to gain weight!!!
    By jakijapuz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:21 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
  4. Best Gyno Treatment? Case to case basis?
    By lewisfitness in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
  5. Help with weight gain
    By golden71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Log in
Log in