Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.24%

nah not fasted! the only fasted cardio i can stand is 30mins of really slow walking in the morning, although i dont know if i should decrease my pre and post for it, i dont think i need to, maybe something to do if my progress needs a kick in the butt

oh yes, kangaroo is the best, all the advantages of red meat, without the fat!
    you gotta cook it well though or else is can get tough, however if you cook it just right, its the best tasting thing in the world, i enjoy it so much unmarinated, just like a good steak!

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.94%

Quote Originally Posted by taffer
    oh yes, kangaroo is the best, all the advantages of red meat, without the fat!
    you gotta cook it well though or else is can get tough, however if you cook it just right, its the best tasting thing in the world, i enjoy it so much unmarinated, just like a good steak!
    I always wanted to try kangaroo, but was never game.
    I might give it a go over the holidays.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.27%

Interesrtingl I´ve read an article about cycling in high intensity and the effects of carbohydrat(CHO) supplementation vs. fasting. befor the exercise on muscle metaolism and energy.
    It found that the metabolism didn´t change in groups,but that power-output was higher in the CHO-group.
    thus,only the effects of energy-metaboliastion was examined one can think of better muscle-growth in the CHO group.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.81%

Just read that article by Nelson at the top for the 1st time.
    That has to be one of the dumbest ****ing articles I've ever read (and I've read a lot of bad ones)..
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.45%

I have a question... Does it defeat the purpose if you have a casein shake pre-am cardio if it's low intensity?? I have been having 1 scoop of Micellean before hand and would like to know if it is hurting fat loss efforts.... thanks.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

if you read this thread your question is answered
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.01%

BOBO- OR other knoweledgable people.
    I dont mean to Hijack this thread but I recently injured my knee and I cannot do a light jog for my fatloss morning cardio, which I usually do, so I was curious as to if I could just do a fast walk instead- would that have the same effect as a jog? What should my heartrate be for the fatloss?

I just dont want to have to go to the gym to use the eliptical every morning when I have a park in my back yard!
    Thanks
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.52%

200 -your age is your max HR .. 60-65% of that .. so you want between 120-130 bpm which should be a fast walk anyway
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.01%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    200 -your age is your max HR .. 60-65% of that .. so you want between 120-130 bpm which should be a fast walk anyway
    Glenhan,
    So would the above equation work for a person that is 154lbs at 54 yrs of age?

she needs to be between 120-130bpm, correct??
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jeep69
    I scraped by last semester in my college algebra
    -so what would it be for a 154 lb person??

weight is not part of the equation bro.
  11. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    Are you sure its 200 - age? I thought it was 220 - age. (At least I hope its 220 or I've had mine figured out wrong for the past 4 months)
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.84%

its 220
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

Are we shooting for 65-70% MHR or should it be 65-70% Vo2 max, because when your HR is jacked on something like clen 130-140BPM is a walk at best.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.3%

Quote Originally Posted by meathead1987
    Are we shooting for 65-70% MHR or should it be 65-70% Vo2 max, because when your HR is jacked on something like clen 130-140BPM is a walk at best.
    The equasion uses heart rate. I find it nearly impossible to keep HR in the specified range when on stims. in that case, I usually pay more attention to breathing. It should be slow and steady during low intensity cardio.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Most pro's do not follow depletion diets until the very last week.

Do low intesity (60% max) no more than 4 times per week. I don't go longer than 45 minutes (on non workout days) and no more than 30 minutes on days I do it after resistance trianing.
    I've seen you recommend this (no more than 4 days per week) a few times and was wondering why? What about doing it 2 times per day, 4 days per week, or it is only recommended to do it no more than 4 total times per week?
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.41%

Quote Originally Posted by PirateFromHell
    BCAAs and glutamine before, moderate intensity (60-70%) for up to 30 min, followed immediately by breakfast.
    what he said...and of course it goes without saying, if you're on AAS you can do cardio whenever for however long and you wont lose a single fiber of muscle (slight exaggeration but you get the point).
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.25%

What I do is this: 1/2 serving of Ready4War with added ALCAR and BCAA first thing in the morning 30 minutes before going for a 2 mile run. This has been working very well for me and I've noticed greatly increased leanness with NO weight loss. What does that tell you?
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-
  18. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.12%

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh
    Maybe someone can follow this up. This article seems to be contridicting parts of this thread.

For those who aren't going to click. It basically says 15-20mins of 90% Vo2 cardio has a similar IGF-1 and GH responce as a heavy lifting session. This seems to be very benificial.

Pros, obviously, are not looking for this responce so this method would not be valid for them. But how would it work with normal men not supplementing with GH and/or IGF-1?
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.25%

Quote Originally Posted by doggzj
    Maybe someone can follow this up. This article seems to be contridicting parts of this thread.

For those who aren't going to click. It basically says 15-20mins of 90% Vo2 cardio has a similar IGF-1 and GH responce as a heavy lifting session. This seems to be very benificial.

Pros, obviously, are not looking for this responce so this method would not be valid for them. But how would it work with normal men not supplementing with GH and/or IGF-1?
    I have read this in a few different places and can say that I find it to be better at overall body comp improvement than say longer, lower intensity cardio. Also, I don't get the usual ankle and knee soreness (assuming I'm runnng) that I would lower intensity, long carido. Plus, going hardcore for 15-20 minutes is just way more satisfying than pounding the pavement half-assed for 40 minutes.
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.83%

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart
    - Low to moderate intensity.

- Preferably with ECY about 20-30 mins prior

- A double small WHEY shake (w/water) or amino pak before is definitely a deal clencher

Its one of my givens.
    I concur^^
  21. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.8%

theres ups and downs to it. you can go without getting uncomfortable, but you can "bonk" and run out of all energy too that way. its all about what kind of cardio your doing. hard runs i personally would go empty stomach. (becuase your not going as far) long runs, more then 7-8 miles, i'd eat a Small energy bar. either way running is catabolic.
  22. Really Really Good Looking
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.58%

Hard runs on an empty stomach.....Hope you don't like your muscle, cause you can waive it goodbye. And you can avoid catabolism by doing Low-Intensity cardio.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.83%

i think it depends on how long you train, i read somewhere that if you eat your breakfast 3 hours after getting up it can affect the bodys abilty to burn fat efficiently
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.98%

From my expericne i noticed aerobics first thing in the mroning for fat loss not real hard on the body but ur burning fat and calories and not to much muscle pop in billy blanks in the morning and then go about your day with what you normaly eat for pre/post workout or whatever thats what ive found works best for me.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%

Well, this is what works for me>>>

I take 10 BCAA, 4 HMB pills and 64 ounce of water about 20mins before I do cardio. I wait this long to make sure the supplements hit my system and to release my urine before I do my crunches, sit-ups, leg raises and side bends and than I hit the treadmill.

I do 30mins of up hill running {speed walking} on a moderate level and I hit the cross trainer for 10mins.

When I completed my routine...I take 10 BCAA, 4 HMB pills and a high protein and low carb meal replacement shake. My next meal is two hours from the last meal and I will consume a turkey sandwich, fruit and a whey protein shake.

I do this routine 3 times a week.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.41%

i always have 40g of whey 30mins beforehand to prevent muscle loss. It worked a treat for me.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.68%

now heres a question....

I am currently bulking. However, I am a "fat ass by nature" you might say. I was thinking of doing 2 AM cardio sessions per week on an empty stomach, with an MRP right after. What do you think?
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

man i want to know how many of the guys who chose the first one are still over weight or really think that wieght they are losing is fat???? your body needs fuel regardless. maybe only a little food and something good to release the fat stores to use for the rest of energy but most everyone else is just gonna burn all the glycogen out their muscles and start to eat themselves away.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%

Well, I do cardio on an empty stomach and I run 3 times a week/ 4 to 5 miles. I also jump rope for 15 to 20 mins after every run. I started this routine on 9/1/05 and this routine helps bring out more muscle definition in my body. I even can see the eight row of abs coming through and I weigh 229 pounds.

I find taking these supplements to be very helpful, before I do cardio>>>>I take 10 BCAA, 5 HMB pills and 64 ounce of water about 20mins before I do cardio. I wait this long to make sure the supplements hit my system and to release my urine before I do my crunches, sit-ups, leg raises and side bends and than I go running. When I completed my routine...I take 10 BCAA, 5 HMB pills, Pure Virtigo, and whey protein. My next meal is two hours from the last meal and I will consume a turkey sandwich, fruit and a whey protein shake.

This process might not work for everyone but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants
    man i want to know how many of the guys who chose the first one are still over weight or really think that wieght they are losing is fat???? your body needs fuel regardless. maybe only a little food and something good to release the fat stores to use for the rest of energy but most everyone else is just gonna burn all the glycogen out their muscles and start to eat themselves away.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.37%

Cardio bike or walk medium intensity 20 minutes max. on empty stomach. works great..If you reach a point where it is not working anymore try a teaspoon or 2 of peanut butter first 30 min. before cardio. Rich Gaspari use to train one of my friends. And thats what he had him do to lose that last little bit of fat before a contest. taking in a little fat tells the body it is ok to burn fat as energy rather than muscle. It works... but empty stomach is fine until you get down to the last stubborn fat.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.8%

Cardio on empty stomach works for me!
    ECA stack on empty stomach then 30-40 min of cardio.
    I like stepper or treadmill.Lately i have been doing treadmill
    with the incline all the way up for almost the entire duration.
    I won a contest at our local gym by doing cardio on empty
    stomach then eating clean for the rest of the day with lower carbs
    later in the afternoon.Eating 6 small meals through out the day.
    Lifting for 1-1/2hrs then doing another 20 min of cardio later in the afternoon.
    Worked great for me and i didnt lose much strength.Kept 35lbs off and
    i am now even stronger than before.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.96%

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbb
    Cardio bike or walk medium intensity 20 minutes max. on empty stomach. works great..If you reach a point where it is not working anymore try a teaspoon or 2 of peanut butter first 30 min. before cardio. Rich Gaspari use to train one of my friends. And thats what he had him do to lose that last little bit of fat before a contest. taking in a little fat tells the body it is ok to burn fat as energy rather than muscle. It works... but empty stomach is fine until you get down to the last stubborn fat.
    bump that, a tablespoon of flax is pretty good too (not for the taste).
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.38%

Absolutely the best way to lose weight.
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.1%

When I had a rowing machine at home I used it first thing in the morning for 30-40 minutes 4-5 times a week. That got me ripped quick and didn't seem to hinder gains at all.
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

Man a good rowing machine would be cool to have. FULL body cardio that is. Anyone seen a good one of these for sale anywhere ?

Oh...and low intensity cardio AM works great for me. I don't seem to lose any measurable lbm from it even at 45min.
  36. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.3%

Quote Originally Posted by -2z-
    Oh...and low intensity cardio AM works great for me. I don't seem to lose any measurable lbm from it even at 45min.
    Me either. Actually, when cutting, I do 55min.
  37. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Most pro's do not use 2-a-day workouts, they use 2-a-day cardio sessions in the form of low intensity. I see them everyday. Most do a walking session first thing in the morning (usually 45-60 minutes) then take a nap, then they do another 30 minute session after weight traning. Now ALL pro's don't do it this way but the majority follow a schedule similar to that incorpating very low intensity multiple times per week.
    Not a pro myself but an inquiry on the concept and it's relation to nutrient timing; empty stomach (upon rising) walking cardio is followed by what sort of nutrient macro when dieting? If I have not depleted glycogen I assume then that I have no need to restore it.

Pre and post nutrition for second session of cardio after resistance training; I assume I take in my usual pre workout nutrition. Then assuming I have depleted glycogen I get into the cardio with FFA as a primary fuel. I am assuming I should then replete my glycogen as I normally would from the previous resistance training.

I am asking because I have a whole new diet/routine schedule that I am trying to transition to and may incorporate this concept when I diet. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone to move to afternoon training and am becoming anxious about keeping my diet in order.
  38. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Hey, I know I quoted Bobo, but I am open to discussion. I am probably very capable, and likely already have a solid idea and knowledge of how to work this for myself. I just wanted to discuss.

Talk amongst yourselves
  39. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.91%

I would not think that you would have depleted glycogen stores from your resistance training. I also believe the the ratio of FFA:CHO used for energy depends on the intensity. From what I remember, High intensity exercise produces more lactic acid which then hinders the ability of the body to use fatty acids as an energy source. So you are better off with low/moderate intensity <60% of aerobic capacity if you are looking to burn more FFA for energy.

You have plenty of time to replenish glycogen stores. As Bobo has pointed out on numerous occasions, muscle tissue synthesis is the primary concern for those looking to get hyoooge, so availabilty of amino acids is paramount.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  40. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    I would not think that you would have depleted glycogen stores from your resistance training.
    i guess depleted was an extreme word to use in this case. I mean that I need to feed my muscle glycogen and aminos after the resistance training
    I also believe the the ratio of FFA:CHO used for energy depends on the intensity. From what I remember, High intensity exercise produces more lactic acid which then hinders the ability of the body to use fatty acids as an energy source. So you are better off with low/moderate intensity <60% of aerobic capacity if you are looking to burn more FFA for energy.
    my cardio would be just that; low intensity at the most and likely on a treadmill or stationary bike.
    You have plenty of time to replenish glycogen stores. As Bobo has pointed out on numerous occasions, muscle tissue synthesis is the primary concern for those looking to get hyoooge, so availabilty of amino acids is paramount.
    so my more than adequate protein consumption in my diet should suffice. I would then likely follow my resistance and cardio with my normal post workout shake.

What are your thoughts on post empty stomach AM cardio. I am thinking that I would consume a high protein low/mod carb/fat solid food breakfast meal (egg whites/FiberOne/skim).

I am so used to going liquid at 3:30am pre/post and not having a solid meal until I am at work. Starting the day with solid food....

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning