Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 2 of 8 First 12347 ... Last
  1. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.
  3. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.
    Not that I know of. The biggest high volume guy was Jay Cutler who used to do split sessions all the time but switched to less volume and less 2-a-days and look what happend? He won. The majority do not use 2-a-days anymore.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?
  5. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Its tough to say. They both are done in similar conditions (although post workout GH output is fairly high). In truth I have never seen a difference between between the two. Techinally when youi break it down one could be better than another but it would probably be statistically insignificant when it comes to overall results (like most things are). So I wouldn't worry about it too much....

Fat loss is something that occurs over a very long peroid of time.

6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?
    I would have thought that cardio in the morning is better than doing it post workout.
    The main reason being that following a workout you need to consume some carbs & protein.
    Wouldn't doing cardion following your workout eat into your recovery time?
  7. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.

8. Registered User
    Answers

Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.
    Thanks 4 educating me Bobo.
    I didn't realise that the GH release lasted up to 60 mins post workout.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks Bobo
  10. Registered User
    Answers

im going to start doing a bit of incline walking after a couple of my training sessions, but i dont know which ones i should do it after

basically my split is the standard...
    monday - legs
    tuesday - chest + tri
    wednesday - fasted 30min walk (low-intensity)
    thursday - back + bi
    friday - shoulders + traps
    saturday - HIIT
    sunday - rest

i read bobo saying that its not good to do it after things like legs and big body parts, which leaves me with just friday to do it, would it be ok doing it after chest + tri's or back + bi's? or would that be too much

also i follow a carb cycling routine, so i have a no-carb day on wednesday + sunday (hence the small amount of training on those days)
    my carb cycle is (H,L,N,H,L,L,N)
    i was also thinking of replacing the HIIT cardio on the saturday with lower-intensity cardio (like 65-75% HR for 45mins, non-fasted)

thanks for any suggestions!
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

I generally do not do cardio after I work large bodyparts (especially legs given the aerobic and anaerobic properties of exercising legs) and save any low intensity cardio for days I train smaller muscle groups.

You also have to consider that I do not recommend this while following any sort of depletion diet. Carbs MUST be present in moderate amounts and proper pre (and sometimes during w/ free form aminos) for this to really work properly.

To really recommend anything you would need some sort of consistency in your carb intake. If not, the scheduling becomes too difficult and the chances of increasing catabolic activity is present.

In your case I would concentrate your cardio sessions on your days off and scrap the plan of doing it post exercise. Scrap the HIIT session too.

12. Registered User
    Answers

thanks for the advise bobo, i dont really want to do too much hard cardio on off-days though (being no-carb) usually i just go for a really low intensity walk, i wouldnt want to go 45mins at 60-70%HR!

when you say dont do it on a depletion diet, do you mean any cutting diet, or carb cycling, because with carb cycling i stack more carbs around my workout than i normally could and would with a regular diet, wouldnt think be anti-catabolic enough (having a good servings of carbs pre-workout) i never do weight training on a no-carb day

also as to dropping HIIT, i plan to next week, replacing it with 45mins of med-intensity cardio (65-70%HR kinda thing)

thanks for any help, always appreciated!
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

A depletion diet is one that severely limits carb intake in any scenario. The effects are felt over a much longer peroid of time (ongoing hormonal responses).

The one problem I see is people thinking that just ebcause they consume carb pre workout that the catabolic problem is solved. Fat loss and the hormonal repsonses can change in the short run but it is very insignificant to the long term effects of a diet. Fat loss in general in not a daily thing, its something that accumulates over weeks and months of diet and exercise.

14. Registered User
    Answers

...They can do much more in terms of workouts and cardio than the regular person.
    Sure. Heck, with Cytodren or other means of managing cortisol, they can override their bodies' 'shutoff valves' and drive themselves into the dirt!
  15. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Well I wouldn't say that, but it sure does help a lot. Jay Cutler lost a LARGE amount of muscle going into last year but still placed higher because his bf% and proportion was much better.

16. Registered User
    Answers

Well I wouldn't say that, but it sure does help a lot. Jay Cutler lost a LARGE amount of muscle going into last year but still placed higher because his bf% and proportion was much better.
    To what do you think one could attribute that loss of lean mass to? Volume?
  17. Registered User
    Answers

As said before I feel that unless you are 20% BF or more and do not concern your self with loss of muscle mass, a light precardio protien shake with FF milk would work well to alleviate the state of catabolism your body was in when you woke up. I also gree with the low intensity for all purposes as it will burn a higher percentage of Fat to muscle ratio. I have noticed that since I stopped doing am cardio on an empty stomach first am and slowed the pace down that I am able to keep more muscle while cutting.
  18. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Repper
    To what do you think one could attribute that loss of lean mass to? Volume?
    Volume and also the fact most of these guys are so far above their genetic potential that it doens't take much for them to lose size when calories are dropped.

19. Registered User
    Answers

Volume and also the fact most of these guys are so far above their genetic potential that it doens't take much for them to lose size when calories are dropped.
    Right on. They're definitely in a class all their own.
  20. Registered User
    Answers

bobo one thing that has confused me about all this slow cardio, is that you say its not good to do it during a carb depletion diet, but you say all the pro's do it to shred up, surely they would cut carbs when they cut, and do slow-cardio, wouldnt this be bad for their muscle?

right now i have changed from carb cycling to a regular diet, and am doing 2, 45min sessions of cardio per week (dropped HIIT) i've been doing alot of reading into the slow-cardio method, and just wondering how often do you do it?, how slow? and what times would it be best to do it (i was thinking doing weights in the morning, then going for a nice walk in the afternoon a few times a week, not after leg day )

thanks for any advise!

PS: i had fun reading this article, especially the reviews!
  21. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by taffer
    bobo one thing that has confused me about all this slow cardio, is that you say its not good to do it during a carb depletion diet, but you say all the pro's do it to shred up, surely they would cut carbs when they cut, and do slow-cardio, wouldnt this be bad for their muscle?

right now i have changed from carb cycling to a regular diet, and am doing 2, 45min sessions of cardio per week (dropped HIIT) i've been doing alot of reading into the slow-cardio method, and just wondering how often do you do it?, how slow? and what times would it be best to do it (i was thinking doing weights in the morning, then going for a nice walk in the afternoon a few times a week, not after leg day )

thanks for any advise!

PS: i had fun reading this article, especially the reviews!

Most pro's do not follow depletion diets until the very last week.

Do low intesity (60% max) no more than 4 times per week. I don't go longer than 45 minutes (on non workout days) and no more than 30 minutes on days I do it after resistance trianing.

22. Registered User
    Answers

how about none at all?

Remember this article?

Plain Talk

Aerobics Don't Work!

By Nelson Montana

Testosterone® | No. 33 | December 31, 1998

If you want to lose all that holiday fat, don't do aerobics!!! Live and learn. Anyone who's been involved in the field of bodybuilding for an appreciable amount of time knows all too well how many "fitness fads" have come and gone. After a while, we begin to view the "latest technological breakthrough" with a wary eye, despite how many "university studies" have been done to confirm its effectiveness. What I want to know is, what is a "university study," anyway? Where was it conducted? How was it monitored, and who in the world ordered the veal cutlet sandwich? (Sometimes I mingle my queries—I've got to watch that.) This is what makes the subject of aerobics so vexing. You'd think by now that most experienced bodybuilders have come to what I think is an obvious conclusion: aerobics don't work! Well, at least not without the deleterious consequences that go along with aerobic exercise. So why hasn't the aerobic "myth" died already? I guess it's the same reason why people still wear lifting belts, believe in superstitions, and watch the Academy Awards. Deep down, we know these activities are void of much significance, but old habits die hard. There are so few constants in life that letting go of what's familiar isn't as easy as it should be. All I ask is that you assess the information I present to you and decide for yourself. If you have a logical retort to this information, so much the better. Nobody has all of the answers. Not you, or me, or Joe Weider, or the self-help guru de jour. As with all things in life, look for logic, and the truth won't be far behind. With that in mind, allow me to present several reasons why aerobic activity is, in my opinion, an ineffective and potentially damaging activity. The first premise I'd like to take issue with is the "targeted heart rate" theory. The belief there is that once the heart rate is elevated to 60% of its maximum potential for over 20 minutes, the body begins to "burn" fat. Makes sense, I guess. You'll sure be burning a whole lot of calories. But if this method is so effective, why is it that I see so many aerobic instructors who are obviously in great cardiovascular condition, with BIG FAT ASSES?!?! The reason is simple. Once the body becomes accustomed to the demand that's being imposed on it, there's no reason to adapt further. It's capable of performing the activity effectively. The only alternative would be to increase either the intensity or the duration, both of which are self-defeating. It's imperative to remember at all times that the body's number-one function is survival. Your body doesn't give a damn about how you want it to look. It's a primitive and highly efficient machine that will use a multitude of resources to adapt to an almost limitless array of physical bombardment. Keeping that in mind, follow me on this next point. A gram of fat consists of nine energy units (calories). A gram of protein is four calories, as is a gram of carbohydrate. Your body doesn't care if the fat is coming from your obliques or a stick of butter. It'll use what's most readily available. When performing an activity that requires constant low-level movement for over 20 minutes, you're essentially giving your body a command: "Must run." "Must keep moving." "The Master demands that I travel great distances." Now, knowing that the body is going to respond as efficiently as possible, it'll then begin to drop weight, allowing it to perform the task at hand with greater ease. This is where the belief that aerobics are "effective" gets misconstrued. If the body is going to take the path of least resistance (which is the only way it knows), will it use nine energy units (fat calories) or four energy units (protein or carbohydrate calories) to drop a gram of weight? Of course, it will use only four. Would you pay nine dollars for something when you can get it for four? The first source of fuel is to use the stored carbs. As long as carbs are present, there's little need to use fat. This is why it's preposterous to eat carbs in order to have the energy to run! It's like working at a job that pays just enough to pay the expenses of getting to and from work! What happens once carbs are depleted? Now we enter the fat burning zone, right? Nope. It still has other four-calorie per gram energy available...protein. Protein now becomes the preferred fuel. What's so bad about that? Well, just like the body doesn't discern where the fat comes from, it also doesn't know a protein molecule in a piece of steak from a protein molecule in a piece of human muscle tissue. The muscle on your body is a readily available source of energy just waiting to be used. Whenever you do aerobic activity, you're burning more muscle than fat, like it or not. Aerobics are also an extremely damaging form of exercise. For some reason, the ability to withstand "pain" is associated with athleticism. I recently saw a television commercial where two guys are running and one explains to the other how he just had surgery on his knee, but he took two Tylenol, so he's ready to run five more miles. And this is supposed to be admirable? It's downright psychotic, if you ask me. Madison Avenue machismo. The epitome of withstanding punishment by way of aerobic overload is the marathon. The story behind the marathon run is based on an ancient Greek legend of the soldier, Pheldippides, who ran 26 miles to tell the emperor that their army was victorious in battle over the Persians. He then dropped dead. (Let that be a lesson to him.) Proving how much punishment one can endure is so typical of the weekend warrior mentality people have. It may make for inspiring Gatorade ads, but the ability to tolerate damage isn't a very accurate gauge of one's health or strength. If it were, then my friend Louie is a regular gold medal winner. He can sock away 12 beers and a pack of cigarettes in one sitting, sleep for three hours, eat a plate of French fries, and do it again. That would kill me! I wouldn't say that he's in better shape than I am because of it; he's just able to tolerate this form of abuse better due to the fact that he's built up a tolerance to it. An activity such as running, besides being unnaturally stressing to the knees, ankles, and lower back, will also increase free radical damage due to the higher ingestion of oxygen and pollutants. I never fail to get a kick out of the people I see on the city streets, huffing and puffing, running in place as they wait for the light to change. Breathe deeply, folks. Yep, take in that invigorating carbon monoxide. Oh, look! A diesel engine truck is heading up the block! Don't want to miss the opportunity to suck in some of that. As bodybuilders, we should know better. Have you ever seen someone whose sole method of exercise was aerobics that didn't look like hell? Show me someone who only does aerobics, and is a vegetarian to boot, and I'll show you someone who looks like the walking dead! It's all so ironic. People do these things in the name of health. It's sad that running doesn't do what it's supposed to do. It is not healthy! It will not increase your life span! It will not strengthen your heart any more than weight training or even moderate exercise, such as walking! It will not improve your appearance! Doing aerobics is good for one thing and one thing only—it makes you better at doing aerobics. I don't do aerobics (I guess you've guessed that by now). The one statement spewed by the aero-heads that I find most irksome is the prosaic quip, "What do you do for your heart?" Whenever I hear those insipid words, it makes me want to grab the cretin by his scrawny little neck and subject him to several sets of high-rep squatting! (How's your heart rate now, buddy!?!) Which brings me to my next point. When I was studying to get my certification to be a personal trainer (hoo, boy, remind me to tell you that story sometime), I reached a point where I couldn't take the idiocy any longer. You want me to believe that protein has nothing to do with muscle growth? Fine. You say that three meals a day provide all the nutrition I could possibly need? I'll take your word for it. You're telling me that studies show steroids don't work? Well, I'll be darned. But when they came out with the drivel that weight training will not improve one's cardiovascular condition, I just had to say, "Excuse me? Er, professor, are you suggesting that if you were to take a previously untrained individual and put him on a weight training regime for six months, that at the end of that time he would show no improvement in cardiovascular ability than from the day he started?" The instructor looked me square in the eye and said, "Yes." I then stood up and said, "I am willing to bet my entire bank account (all right, so it isn't a very impressive wager) that weight training will undoubtedly improve cardiovascular ability!" I stood there triumphantly anticipating the enthusiastic ratification of my fellow classmates. Blank stares all around. Then I sat down. I'm proud to say that I failed that course. My intellect simply could not retain the depth of stupidity necessary to disregard all that I know to be true in favor of the capricious dreck they were feeding those poor unsuspecting students (many of whom have gone on to having successful careers as exercise experts). The heart is a muscle. Cardiac muscle tissue is different than skeletal muscle tissue, but there are similarities. Muscle becomes stronger through usage. There is no evidence that the usage from extended moderate activity is superior to the anaerobic bursts that weight training provides. Besides, most people, other than the slothy sedentary, get plenty of activity where their heart rate is increased for 20 minutes. Walking, playing sports, even sex. Doing more won't assure more health or a longer life. Using aerobics as a method of burning fat is only fanning the fire. The best way to keep body fat in check is to have more muscle! The human organism doesn't like having to change. That's why it's so difficult to grow muscle or lose fat. The body likes things just the way they are, and it requires the torturous stress of lifting ever increasing poundages before it will concede and grow more muscle. The same goes for losing fat. Eating just a single scoop of ice cream instead of two scoops won't do it. If you want body alteration, you have to get drastic! Accepting the fact that the body doesn't want to alter its weight, doesn't it make more sense to make as much of that weight muscle? Let's say that your set point is 200 pounds. That's where your body is comfortable. It could just as well be 200 pounds with 6% body fat as 16% body fat. The mistake many people make is to attempt to lose weight in the hopes that they'll lose fat. If you force your body to lose weight, the first thing it's going to give up is muscle, since muscle weighs more than fat. Once again, since protein is four calories per gram and fat is nine, it requires more to sustain a gram of muscle than it does a gram of fat. When you deplete the energy intake (calories), you're telling your body to lose muscle. No wonder so many people throw in the towel and lament, "It's impossible!" It isn't impossible. But it isn't easy, either. Constant feeding of protein-rich foods is the first component. Training correctly is another. Don't sabotage your efforts by engaging in ineffective and debilitating activities such as jogging, cycling, circuit training, or high-impact aerobics. The computer axiom "garbage in, garbage out" is applicable here. (Come to think of it, that goes for your brain as well.) You get the result of the activity you incorporate. If you want to build more muscle, you must send your body the right signals. Does it need to get bigger and stronger because it's going to be lifting heavy weights? Or is it going to get smaller in an effort to sustain endurance for lengthy durations? Trying to do both is working against yourself. You can't steal second base with one foot on first. You must decide. What'll it be? Even if you've accepted the premise I've presented, you may still want to engage in some aerobic activity now and then. I certainly have no problem with that. If I feel like getting into a good game of handball, I'm not going to worry, "Oh my God, I may lose some muscle!" Go on, break a good sweat. Show that you can use that beautiful body for things other than lifting weights. It feels good! I've even been known to "test" myself every other month or so by running an eight-minute mile or two. Granted, Carl Lewis has nothing to worry about, but it shows I'm not suffering any serious defect in aerobic ability due to just weight training as the only source of exercise for my heart. Of course, there are also those among you that must do some aerobics. If you're involved in a sport that requires stamina, weight training will not elicit enough of a cardiovascular stimulus to withstand extensive long-term endurance. If you're a competitive bodybuilder, a certain amount of aerobics are a "necessary evil" in order to achieve the insanely low body fat levels required for competition, but even then it should be kept to a minimum. A common practice implemented for contest prep is to use 100-200 mg of Primobolan a week to prevent muscle breakdown once the aerobic phase has commenced. There is some controversy as to when aerobic activity should be executed. The percept currently in vogue is to do aerobics in the morning on an empty stomach, the theory being that you will more quickly use up stored carbohydrates and burn fat faster. I don't agree with this line of thinking. Without available carbs, the body is more vulnerable to catabolism. The preferable time would be at the end of a workout. In this way, the heart rate is already elevated, and less activity will be required to achieve the desired effect. Allow me to reiterate that even when aerobics are included out of necessity in a training regime, chances are you don't need to do as much as you may think. Still not convinced? Try this test for one month. Train exactly as you do now, but eliminate all aerobic activity from your exercise regime. Since you'll be expending less energy, you may want to up the poundages a tad, or at least add a couple of extra reps to each set. Continue to eat as you are now, making sure to eat every three hours and maintain a high intake of protein. At the end of one month, I guarantee you that none of your aerobic ability will be lost. You'll also have more energy, fuller-looking muscles, and the exact same body fat percentage that you have now. Trust me.

23. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kkmike
    Remember this article?

Plain Talk

Aerobics Don't Work!

By Nelson Montana

I'm blind!

Please, not NELSON!!!

Just when you though it couldn't get worse, it does.

24. Registered User
    Answers

I'm blind!

Please, not NELSON!!!

Just when you though it couldn't get worse, it does.
    I take it this guy is not a good thing....
  25. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Only if you like complete misinformation.

26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Man, Darwinism needs to work over time and get the Nelson's of the world.
  27. Registered User
    Answers

Only if you like complete misinformation.
    Yup, and consider the source and the fact that he doesn't even write for them anymore. I remember readin an atricle by him in muscle mag. It must have been like 5 or 6 years ago.Something about how milk is the worst thing a bodybuilder could ever drink. Even back then it had me scratching my head.
  28. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

He also said Clomid doens't work. He didn't say that its ineffective or there are better options. He simply said it won't work. Buffoon.

29. Registered User
    Answers

i got bottomline bodybuilding by nelson montana, didn't pay for it, got it from a friend. anyway, funniest most ridiculous stuff you'll ever read.
  30. Gold Member
    Answers

Thanks Bobo for laying down the truth on this low-intensity vs high, in relation to fat-burning. As far as cardiovascular fitness and endurance go, however, do you care to share anything about this, as far as duration, frequency, timing, and nutrition, or is that a sign-up required sort of question? (Something I'd love to do, but it's not in the cards, according to my leather meets leather wallet).
    Last edited by Strateg0s; 11-23-2004 at 01:06 PM.
  31. Registered User
    Answers

I'll tell you if he doesn't.
  32. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Strateg0s
    Thanks Bobo for laying down the truth on this low-intensity vs high, in relation to fat-burning. As far as cardiovascular fitness and endurance go, however, do you care to share anything about this, as far as duration, frequency, timing, and nutrition, or is that a sign-up required sort of question? (Something I'd love to do, but it's not in the cards, according to my leather meets leather wallet).
    For cardiovascular health and/or endurance mod-high intensity is always better.

As for as duration and nutritional guidelines, it depends on your goals. Mod-High intensity is treated more like resistant training in terms of nutritional requiremements.

33. Registered User
    Answers

is it just me, or does this link not work for anyone anymore?
    it was such a good debete on HIIT vs low-intensity for fat burning and i cant seem to view it anymore
  34. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

There was some database problems over the weekend and we lost a good bit of the archived threads. I'm looking to get them back from the backups but it might take some time.

35. Registered User
    Answers

damn, i was actually reading that thread, i clicked on page 4, and it came up with the error, i think i broke it

sorry
  36. Gold Member
    Answers

Great thread. Finally a fasted cardio thread that acknowledges the relavance (and fine line) of intensity.
  37. Registered User
    Answers

hey zack, great to see you here too!
    whats your opinion of low-intensity cardio after a weight session though?
  38. Gold Member
    Answers

hey zack, great to see you here too!
    Taffster - hey buddy. Took me a while to actually register, but good stuff. Besides, I need to broaden my horizons a little bit.

whats your opinion of low-intensity cardio after a weight session though?
    Thumbs up, as long as the intensity is on the lower end (<60% max heart rate) and duration is <45 minutes. Personally, I prefer to refuel and rest a.s.a.p. after resistance training, but I agree completely that from a fat burning standpoint, it's about as effective as slow fasted morning cardio, a little more or a little less. About equal. I did the slow fasted morning cardio for a while - liked it. Just wasn't a fan of the post-weights cardio. Your results and opinions will vary.

And of course, doing slow cardio in the middle of your day is about as effective - we're not making major shifts in fat mobilization here.

That aside, what I was very happy to read here from Bobo and couple others, was the INCREDIBLY important point to think of fat loss as a very long, slow process. Too often on other boards and other posts, I see people discussing it like it's a process isolated to single 60-minute spans of their day. As if doing it wrong negated fat loss, and thinking of fat loss as an event your body chooses to do or not do on a 24-hour clock. Can't over-emphasize what a disservice this is to your body, to try to apply your concept of time, when your body is not even remotely considering the 24-hour day as a unit of time. The fastest thing to shift is probably your BMR, and that can take weeks. Fat loss, though it can be effected fairly quickly, is a not a one-time shot.

It's a marathon.

I'm just babbling now. Going to shut up.
  39. Registered User
    Answers

good to hear you think its ok, i currently do 2x 45min 130-140bpm-HR cardio sessions a week, on off days, and i do a 15min incline walk after my shoulders/traps workout (as its light) also i walk home from the gym everyday (thats why i dont do more than 15mins after my workout, cos i get another 10 from walking home, even though its not as instense
    im considering adding in a session after my chest/tri workout if i need to, as i go heavy and dont do too many sets (8sets for chest, 7 for tri's)

i know fat loss is a slow process, but when you get to a lower-bodyfat, sometimes every little bit counts, im just trying to get rid of my last layer of fat, its proving to be quite a task!

right now im really trying to workout what works for me, you can check out my cutting diet down the page a little, although i have altered it a bit (less oats(60g) + fruit(90g) pre-workout, also a tiny cut post-workout im thinking of increasing it though, and chopping some sweet potato, if i feel i need more carbs pre- anyway we can discuss this in the thread)

geez im babbling too! although my babbling is more off topic time to dig into some kangaroo, broccoli and sweet potato
  40. Gold Member
    Answers

I think those sound like rational levels of cardio. You're not doing the "2x 45min 130-140bpm-HR cardio" fasted, though, right? Or are you? That's a little more intense than I would suggest for fasted, but it's up to you to find that fine line for yourself. Though for general cardio, no problem.

Kangaroo - I remember you praising the qualities of 'roo meat once before. Some other forum somewhere. I still need to track some of that down.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 08:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning