Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 2 of 12 First 1234 ... Last

  1. BTW- If you are doing high intensity those same amino acids are almost guaranteed to be used as fuel. You are better off just using some form of carbohydate.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    If you are doing low intensity first thing in the morning there is no need for amino acids unless you bought them to be converted in glucose via gluconeogensis.
    There are some times when you'd rather use some circulating dietary aminos rather than catabolizing muscle tissue. This is especially true with BCAA's. Using carbs right before morning cardio kinda negates the whole purpose for morning cardio. Your body is guaranteed to use the carbs before it heavily taps into fat stores.
    •   
       


  3. No its not. Low cardio shows a preference for using FFA's for fuel rather than glucose. High intensity exercise OTOH is heavily dependent on glucose.

    There are NEVER times you want to use dietary aminos. That means your body has shifted to a point where gluconeogenesis is increased and you do NOT want that.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Using carbs right before morning cardio kinda negates the whole purpose for morning cardio.
    Not if it is high intesnity exercise. That would be like saying using carbs before resistant training will negate the effects of fat mobilization. It does not.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  5. Cutting The Fat and Keeping The Mass: Is it really possible?
    by Tom McCullough MEd., MSS
    "What happens when the intensity of the exercise is increased ->70& VO2 max-? Sure the oxidation rate of FFA increased but lactate production also increases. Lactate decreases the FFA mobilization rate and increases FFA reesterification rate. Carbohydrates then become an increasingly important source of fuel. However, during prolonged sub maximal exercise blood lactate levels are very low, thus not affecting FFA mobilization significantly. Thus, carbohydrates are used much less as a fuel and oxidated fats become the most abundant source of energy"
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Not if it is high intesnity exercise. That would be like saying using carbs before resistant training will negate the effects of fat mobilization. It does not.
    Yes, you should take some carbs before any high intensity activity.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    No its not. Low cardio shows a preference for using FFA's for fuel rather than glucose. High intensity exercise OTOH is heavily dependent on glucose.

    There are NEVER times you want to use dietary aminos. That means your body has shifted to a point where gluconeogenesis is increased and you do NOT want that.
    Yes that's true, but you also said:

    "If you are doing low intensity first thing in the morning there is no need for amino acids unless you bought them to be converted in glucose via gluconeogensis."

    It's true, your body uses a very high proportion of FFA, so why are you so worried about converting $.50 of amino acids if you're primarily NOT using glucose?

  8. Ummm.....

    What is the point of taking amino acids if they are not going to get used for their primary role OR they get converted in glucose? Its a waste.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  9. So Bobo do u agree or disagree with taking in anything pre-cardio in the AM

  10. For low intensity, no.

    For high, yes.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  11. Low intensity do u go by less then 65% MHR , high I assume something like HITT what is your meaning on low bro?
    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    For low intensity, no.

    For high, yes.

  12. Yes, around 60%.


    There is a reason most IFBB pros (actually the majority of all pro's) walk on a treadmill for their cardio.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    For low intensity, no.

    For high, yes.
    That makes sense. :-)

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Yes, around 60%.


    There is a reason most IFBB pros (actually the majority of all pro's) walk on a treadmill for their cardio.
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.
    He used to be a track and field athlete. He does not sprint during his precontest diet.

    Most pro's do not use 2-a-day workouts, they use 2-a-day cardio sessions in the form of low intensity. I see them everyday. Most do a walking session first thing in the morning (usually 45-60 minutes) then take a nap, then they do another 30 minute session after weight traning. Now ALL pro's don't do it this way but the majority follow a schedule similar to that incorpating very low intensity multiple times per week. You also have to take into account the various drug regiments they use. They can do much more in terms of workouts and cardio than the regular person.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.
    Not that I know of. The biggest high volume guy was Jay Cutler who used to do split sessions all the time but switched to less volume and less 2-a-days and look what happend? He won. The majority do not use 2-a-days anymore.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  19. Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?

  20. Its tough to say. They both are done in similar conditions (although post workout GH output is fairly high). In truth I have never seen a difference between between the two. Techinally when youi break it down one could be better than another but it would probably be statistically insignificant when it comes to overall results (like most things are). So I wouldn't worry about it too much....

    Fat loss is something that occurs over a very long peroid of time.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?
    I would have thought that cardio in the morning is better than doing it post workout.
    The main reason being that following a workout you need to consume some carbs & protein.
    Wouldn't doing cardion following your workout eat into your recovery time?

  22. Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.
    Thanks 4 educating me Bobo.
    I didn't realise that the GH release lasted up to 60 mins post workout.

  24. Thanks Bobo

  25. im going to start doing a bit of incline walking after a couple of my training sessions, but i dont know which ones i should do it after

    basically my split is the standard...
    monday - legs
    tuesday - chest + tri
    wednesday - fasted 30min walk (low-intensity)
    thursday - back + bi
    friday - shoulders + traps
    saturday - HIIT
    sunday - rest

    i read bobo saying that its not good to do it after things like legs and big body parts, which leaves me with just friday to do it, would it be ok doing it after chest + tri's or back + bi's? or would that be too much

    also i follow a carb cycling routine, so i have a no-carb day on wednesday + sunday (hence the small amount of training on those days)
    my carb cycle is (H,L,N,H,L,L,N)
    i was also thinking of replacing the HIIT cardio on the saturday with lower-intensity cardio (like 65-75% HR for 45mins, non-fasted)

    thanks for any suggestions!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning
    By RoidRageX10 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 11:58 PM
  5. no more cardio on empty stomach
    By Number 5 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Log in
Log in