Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Not if it is high intesnity exercise. That would be like saying using carbs before resistant training will negate the effects of fat mobilization. It does not.
    Yes, you should take some carbs before any high intensity activity.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    No its not. Low cardio shows a preference for using FFA's for fuel rather than glucose. High intensity exercise OTOH is heavily dependent on glucose.

There are NEVER times you want to use dietary aminos. That means your body has shifted to a point where gluconeogenesis is increased and you do NOT want that.
    Yes that's true, but you also said:

"If you are doing low intensity first thing in the morning there is no need for amino acids unless you bought them to be converted in glucose via gluconeogensis."

It's true, your body uses a very high proportion of FFA, so why are you so worried about converting $.50 of amino acids if you're primarily NOT using glucose?
    •   

3. Ummm.....

What is the point of taking amino acids if they are not going to get used for their primary role OR they get converted in glucose? Its a waste.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

4. So Bobo do u agree or disagree with taking in anything pre-cardio in the AM

5. For low intensity, no.

For high, yes.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    •   

6. Low intensity do u go by less then 65% MHR , high I assume something like HITT what is your meaning on low bro?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    For low intensity, no.

For high, yes.

7. Yes, around 60%.

There is a reason most IFBB pros (actually the majority of all pro's) walk on a treadmill for their cardio.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    For low intensity, no.

For high, yes.
    That makes sense. :-)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Yes, around 60%.

There is a reason most IFBB pros (actually the majority of all pro's) walk on a treadmill for their cardio.
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.

10. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Actually I hear that Kevin Levrone has been known to sprint quite a bit. It's hard to imagine a 300lb BB'er doing that or any other form of high intensity cardio for that matter. It's gotta be akward looking for some of those massive freaks. I would think that their inner thighs would rub together so severely fast and hard that they would get some pretty serious skin burns. Ha-ha. also many pros are on 2-a-day workouts so to add in a second high intensity activity would too much. They're better served by a more low and traditional approach.
    He used to be a track and field athlete. He does not sprint during his precontest diet.

Most pro's do not use 2-a-day workouts, they use 2-a-day cardio sessions in the form of low intensity. I see them everyday. Most do a walking session first thing in the morning (usually 45-60 minutes) then take a nap, then they do another 30 minute session after weight traning. Now ALL pro's don't do it this way but the majority follow a schedule similar to that incorpating very low intensity multiple times per week. You also have to take into account the various drug regiments they use. They can do much more in terms of workouts and cardio than the regular person.

11. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Most of the local pro's aorund here could easily do high intensity if they wished. They are not "freakish" compared to the top guys. You are talking about the top 1% of 1% there.
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.

13. Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Yeah, I'm speaking of the guys you see in the Olympia today. Many pros do use 2-a-day's, but this is only for a temporary thing and mostly likely not during a cutting phase. When dieting it's really hard to have energy for both weight training AND HIIT training within the same day - especially for the naturaly guys.
    Not that I know of. The biggest high volume guy was Jay Cutler who used to do split sessions all the time but switched to less volume and less 2-a-days and look what happend? He won. The majority do not use 2-a-days anymore.

14. Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?

15. Its tough to say. They both are done in similar conditions (although post workout GH output is fairly high). In truth I have never seen a difference between between the two. Techinally when youi break it down one could be better than another but it would probably be statistically insignificant when it comes to overall results (like most things are). So I wouldn't worry about it too much....

Fat loss is something that occurs over a very long peroid of time.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Bobo, would you say that low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better than doing cardio post weight training ?
    I would have thought that cardio in the morning is better than doing it post workout.
    The main reason being that following a workout you need to consume some carbs & protein.
    Wouldn't doing cardion following your workout eat into your recovery time?

17. Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Not really. GH release (along with its anti-catabolic properties) last up to 60 minutes post workout. The whole issue of catabolism is highly overrated. In both situations yout body has increased its chances of oxidizing FFA's as energy. One might be more than the other but overall the results over a long time is probably insignificant.
    Thanks 4 educating me Bobo.
    I didn't realise that the GH release lasted up to 60 mins post workout.

19. Thanks Bobo

20. im going to start doing a bit of incline walking after a couple of my training sessions, but i dont know which ones i should do it after

basically my split is the standard...
    monday - legs
    tuesday - chest + tri
    wednesday - fasted 30min walk (low-intensity)
    thursday - back + bi
    friday - shoulders + traps
    saturday - HIIT
    sunday - rest

i read bobo saying that its not good to do it after things like legs and big body parts, which leaves me with just friday to do it, would it be ok doing it after chest + tri's or back + bi's? or would that be too much

also i follow a carb cycling routine, so i have a no-carb day on wednesday + sunday (hence the small amount of training on those days)
    my carb cycle is (H,L,N,H,L,L,N)
    i was also thinking of replacing the HIIT cardio on the saturday with lower-intensity cardio (like 65-75% HR for 45mins, non-fasted)

thanks for any suggestions!

21. I generally do not do cardio after I work large bodyparts (especially legs given the aerobic and anaerobic properties of exercising legs) and save any low intensity cardio for days I train smaller muscle groups.

You also have to consider that I do not recommend this while following any sort of depletion diet. Carbs MUST be present in moderate amounts and proper pre (and sometimes during w/ free form aminos) for this to really work properly.

To really recommend anything you would need some sort of consistency in your carb intake. If not, the scheduling becomes too difficult and the chances of increasing catabolic activity is present.

In your case I would concentrate your cardio sessions on your days off and scrap the plan of doing it post exercise. Scrap the HIIT session too.

22. thanks for the advise bobo, i dont really want to do too much hard cardio on off-days though (being no-carb) usually i just go for a really low intensity walk, i wouldnt want to go 45mins at 60-70%HR!

when you say dont do it on a depletion diet, do you mean any cutting diet, or carb cycling, because with carb cycling i stack more carbs around my workout than i normally could and would with a regular diet, wouldnt think be anti-catabolic enough (having a good servings of carbs pre-workout) i never do weight training on a no-carb day

also as to dropping HIIT, i plan to next week, replacing it with 45mins of med-intensity cardio (65-70%HR kinda thing)

thanks for any help, always appreciated!

23. A depletion diet is one that severely limits carb intake in any scenario. The effects are felt over a much longer peroid of time (ongoing hormonal responses).

The one problem I see is people thinking that just ebcause they consume carb pre workout that the catabolic problem is solved. Fat loss and the hormonal repsonses can change in the short run but it is very insignificant to the long term effects of a diet. Fat loss in general in not a daily thing, its something that accumulates over weeks and months of diet and exercise.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    ...They can do much more in terms of workouts and cardio than the regular person.
    Sure. Heck, with Cytodren or other means of managing cortisol, they can override their bodies' 'shutoff valves' and drive themselves into the dirt!

25. Well I wouldn't say that, but it sure does help a lot. Jay Cutler lost a LARGE amount of muscle going into last year but still placed higher because his bf% and proportion was much better.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Well I wouldn't say that, but it sure does help a lot. Jay Cutler lost a LARGE amount of muscle going into last year but still placed higher because his bf% and proportion was much better.
    To what do you think one could attribute that loss of lean mass to? Volume?

27. As said before I feel that unless you are 20% BF or more and do not concern your self with loss of muscle mass, a light precardio protien shake with FF milk would work well to alleviate the state of catabolism your body was in when you woke up. I also gree with the low intensity for all purposes as it will burn a higher percentage of Fat to muscle ratio. I have noticed that since I stopped doing am cardio on an empty stomach first am and slowed the pace down that I am able to keep more muscle while cutting.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Grim Repper
    To what do you think one could attribute that loss of lean mass to? Volume?
    Volume and also the fact most of these guys are so far above their genetic potential that it doens't take much for them to lose size when calories are dropped.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Volume and also the fact most of these guys are so far above their genetic potential that it doens't take much for them to lose size when calories are dropped.
    Right on. They're definitely in a class all their own.

30. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    bobo one thing that has confused me about all this slow cardio, is that you say its not good to do it during a carb depletion diet, but you say all the pro's do it to shred up, surely they would cut carbs when they cut, and do slow-cardio, wouldnt this be bad for their muscle?

right now i have changed from carb cycling to a regular diet, and am doing 2, 45min sessions of cardio per week (dropped HIIT) i've been doing alot of reading into the slow-cardio method, and just wondering how often do you do it?, how slow? and what times would it be best to do it (i was thinking doing weights in the morning, then going for a nice walk in the afternoon a few times a week, not after leg day )

thanks for any advise!

PS: i had fun reading this article, especially the reviews!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning