Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 10 of 12 First ... 89101112 Last

1. Just an update from last fall, I tried the AM HIIT thing out, but I didn't lose weight like i thought i would. I lost more. Much more. I'm a life long convert now

2. Why stick to one or the other? I've been doing intervals on the ellipticle for 20 minutes followed by another 20 minutes of heavy bag work/ab work at lower intensity. This is never done while fasting though. I take 10g Bcaa's/24g Super carb with 2g Citmal pre, and then another of these minus the supercarb during. I wait about 30 minutes after training for my post workout shake (this contains no carbs). I can only do AM cardio once a week, so the other two sessions are done after work, with the same nutritional protocol minus the supercarb altogether. Results have been very good over the past few months of this. I'm very close to 10% BF, down from about 16%. This, with 3 full body lifting sessions a week (hybrid HST) has allowed me to keep virtually all my LBM too.
    •   

3. I've just never gotten into morning fasted cardio...Upset my stomach..I need to feed the machine before I crank up the heart rate..

4. Quote Originally Posted by LT* View Post
    Why stick to one or the other? I've been doing intervals on the ellipticle for 20 minutes followed by another 20 minutes of heavy bag work/ab work at lower intensity. This is never done while fasting though. I take 10g Bcaa's/24g Super carb with 2g Citmal pre, and then another of these minus the supercarb during. I wait about 30 minutes after training for my post workout shake (this contains no carbs). I can only do AM cardio once a week, so the other two sessions are done after work, with the same nutritional protocol minus the supercarb altogether. Results have been very good over the past few months of this. I'm very close to 10% BF, down from about 16%. This, with 3 full body lifting sessions a week (hybrid HST) has allowed me to keep virtually all my LBM too.
    That sounds like its working very well.
    I just started like two months ago at 301.2lbs with the am cardio consisting of either biking or elyptical training and evening light workouts or road cycling and am at 273lbs.
    My goal is to be at 200lbs within another 6 months.
    Also were doing a weght loss comptetion here at work and the pot is $1400 and I'll need to weigh 240lbs by June 13th but I dont think i'll make it.
    Any good fat burners/ appetite control supplements out there that work well????
    Thanks!!

5. Good discussion and the subject of fasted versus fed cardio, as well as low-intensity versus HIIT cardio has been hotly debated.

I do believe there's a place for most of it (although I do question the merits of fasted cardio...)

At any rate, here are a couple great articles that are worth a read before you decide on anything.

Myths Under the Microscope 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone

Myths Under the Microscope 2: False Hopes for Fasted Cardio

•   

6. Although I picked empty stomach in the poll, I have to question whether I can call it empty with all the supplements

7. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Although I picked empty stomach in the poll, I have to question whether I can call it empty with all the supplements

LOL, You got a point there!!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
    Ok, it involves buying equipment, but I found boxing in three minute rounds, with a break in between was excellent morning cardio. bet you can get a Heavy bag and gloves for about $100 - 150$ on ebay that would do the trick. bas ruttens tapes are quite good for this too.

bit of an aside, but I found it a great aerobic workout with some impact / strength and confidence benefits
    Dang, I hadn't thought of that, it would be great hung in my garage, or maybe one of the ones on a stand vs ceiling hung. I would enjoy the heck out of that, and keeping it in the garage it would be hot all the freakin time (I'm in Florida) so sweating it up from the first minute.

9. The heavy bag is awesome but it will wear you out especially w/footwork

10. this debate will probably go on forever but here are some things i have tried: If you want to burn fat faster to get ripped up=sprints/HIIT, if you want to maintain maximum muscle mass, while losing fat, why not do 30min low intensity after your resistance training? I have done both, and i was definitely more muscular doing low intensity after resistance training, but it took me 10 weeks to get to single digit bodyfat from about 12-13%. When i did HIIT, or just did full body workouts with minimal rest between sets (only rest being unloading and loading whatever piece of equipment i was using) i ripped up faster, maintained strength, but seemed to have a different, more athletic look, was slightly thinner looking in clothes, and it only took about 7 weeks.

11. I tried an AM Fasted Brisk Walk today for the first time and as hard as it was to wake up, it was definitely well worth it. As soon as I got outside I just felt so much more energized. All day so far I have had a great amount of energy, I haven't nodded off once while at work today!!! lol

I think I might start the morning Fasted Brisk walk every day and on Tues/Thurs/Sat do a Morning fasted low intensity cardio and after work go to the gym for a moderate intensity cardio. Is this a smart idea??

12. Take some wraath on an empty stomach!!!

13. Quote Originally Posted by WSUstudent View Post
    So in a nutshell, with the second abstract there, if you ingest protein prior to a workout it blunts GH, and it also prevents mobiliztion of fatty acids PWo as well?
    Theres 1 flaw to that study, blood samples were taken before the workout, not before the protein.
    Protein significantly increases GH levels by itself.

14. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that everyone is different. I see some people recommending that AM fasted cardio sprints are superior to low intensity cardio. Maybe it is for that person, or maybe they'd lose fat is they just thought about it with their blessed metabolism.

I would do AM cardio, the ***** that it is, but I'm just not sure it's going to be effective. Basically, when I wake up and do cardio, I don't feel that great afterwards, and it leaves me less likely to productively lift or do more cardio later on. If I sleep in goto work, then I can do everything optimally.

I also question if Leuceine should be used solo instead of all 3 BCAA's. I guess it depends on how serious you are about weight loss.

Some people seem to be carb tolerant, and others are not. I also wonder if this has to do with the insulin spike from eating carbs. Some have a huge spike, and others don't which is why they can handle it.

So many things to ponder...
  15. Definitely AM on an empty stomach!

Not only is it easier to run on an empty stomach, doing cardio in the AM is great for those of us who will be reluctant to do it later in the day. I hate cardio, so I like to get it over with first thing. If you MUST have something to eat beforehand, I would suggest just a protein shake.

16. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleRocker View Post
    Not only is it easier to run on an empty stomach, doing cardio in the AM is great for those of us who will be reluctant to do it later in the day. I hate cardio, so I like to get it over with first thing. If you MUST have something to eat beforehand, I would suggest just a protein shake.
    I couldnt agree with you anymore on that!

17. Short duration (<=20 min) HIIT cardio seems to work quite well without adversely affecting muscle tissue. A protein shake with some carbs and a little fat really seems to help with the body recomp as well.

18. after read all this articles, i am still a little confused(sorry, my first langue is not english)
    i plan to do a cardio on a empty stomach tomorrow around 70%HR 50-60 mins,
    i will sip some BCAA before and during cardio.is that ok?

19. Yes BCAAs before and during are good. If you can get Leucine only, that is even better since won't be burned for food, Isoleucine and Valine can be burned for fuel and you won't get their benefit.

20. Quote Originally Posted by waimoku View Post
    Yes BCAAs before and during are good. If you can get Leucine only, that is even better since won't be burned for food, Isoleucine and Valine can be burned for fuel and you won't get their benefit.

Do you have a reference for Leucine not being used as fuel? I've never heard that and it sounds intresting.

TF

21. Although it is not until later on in the thread check out this discussion on BCAAs being used as fuel:
    POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio

22. Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    Do you have a reference for Leucine not being used as fuel? I've never heard that and it sounds intresting.

TF
    Turd Ferguson! So hilarious, I had to watch the video again!
    Freedom means nothing here.

23. I am going to start this kind of training soon. I am starting a cut in a week or so.

24. I walk to class in the mornings directly after breakfast, takes about 20-25 minutes. Ive lost a lot of fat in the past 4 weeks, but im also using eca

25. Quote Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
    I walk to class in the mornings directly after breakfast, takes about 20-25 minutes. Ive lost a lot of fat in the past 4 weeks, but im also using eca

Good tip. i would need to look into that!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning