help with diet!?

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
hi there..any input wud be greatly appreciated..i need help cleaning up my diet.. im 5'10" 220 lbs..ive gained a lot of weigh because im jus coming off the couch after 3 knee surgeries..i want to loose body fat while increasing my strength..here goes the diet
meal1..syntha6 shake with scoop of peanut butter and banana
meal2..post workout whey shake
meal3..3 egg white with one full egg
meal4..6oz ground turkey
meal5..sweet potatoe
meal6..6 oz chicken breast
meal7..casein shake
other supplements i use are CEE and NOexplode
i hit hit the gym five days a week.two muscles a day and one muscles twice a week..i hate doing cardio on any kind of machine so i ride my bike to the gym everyday and jump rope for about 15 minutes after i lift everyday.again any input would be appreciated

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you had the chance to get your body fat tested to see where you are starting at? Now as far as your diet. I think there needs to be some changes. I am in a similar position. Except i am larger in weight and 1" shorter. My current diet consist of 45% protein, 40% Carbs and 15% fat. My intake of food is approx 2500 calories spread out in 5 meals. You could spread it our over as much as 8. Many different opinions will come your direction. You just have to find what works for you. I also do not eat any carbs 4 hours prior to bed time.

Believe me cardio does suck but is a must to lose body fat. If done on a fasted state you tend to lose more than if you did it during the day or evening after a workout.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
No greens at all, huh? Only your only carb source is rather late, why not push it closer to the post workout? I prefer real food post, but that's just me. Actually, I dont have any meals as supplement meals... just preworkout nutrition.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
i forgot to mention add i some carbs in the am.i throw in half a cup of oats with my shake..so having the potatoe after the post workout shake wud be ideal?? and how much veggies should i throw in there..not too sure bout my body fat..i think im around 30% lol high!! so the best time to do cardio is as soon as yu wake up before yu eat anything?

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there a reason why you are doing all these shakes vs. real food?

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
i am a big guy and love food..but if it werent for the shakes there wud be no way i cud eat as much as i have to

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i forgot to mention add i some carbs in the am.i throw in half a cup of oats with my shake..so having the potatoe after the post workout shake wud be ideal?? and how much veggies should i throw in there..not too sure bout my body fat..i think im around 30% lol high!! so the best time to do cardio is as soon as yu wake up before yu eat anything?
You need to eat more natural food than shakes. I personally don't use shakes that often. And if i do it is only for a snack not a main meal. When i started my journey i was a pound away from 300. In the beginning i was only eating 1800 calories and doing the P90X program. My calories was way to low. After the 90 days was up i changed up my nutrition and now have an intake of approx 2500 calories. My strength is way up and have more energy overall.

Yes do your cardio in the morning when you first wake up on an empty stomach. Then eat your breakfast about 30 minutes after wards. Do your workouts in the evening or during the day its up to you. I personally do it in the evening.

Now back to the nutrition, some will disagree but a simple way to remember how many calories to eat for weight loss. Is 10 calories for every pound of lean mass you have.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You need to eat more natural food than shakes. I personally don't use shakes that often. And if i do it is only for a snack not a main meal. When i started my journey i was a pound away from 300. In the beginning i was only eating 1800 calories and doing the P90X program. My calories was way to low. After the 90 days was up i changed up my nutrition and now have an intake of approx 2500 calories. My strength is way up and have more energy overall.

Yes do your cardio in the morning when you first wake up on an empty stomach. Then eat your breakfast about 30 minutes after wards. Do your workouts in the evening or during the day its up to you. I personally do it in the evening.

Now back to the nutrition, some will disagree but a simple way to remember how many calories to eat for weight loss. Is 10 calories for every pound of lean mass you have.
I would really have to disagree with this calculation of 10 calories for every lb of lean mass theory.

I'm at 215lbs right now, about 190lbs of lean mass. There is absolutely no way in hell that I only need 1900 calories. More on the lines of 3800 calories.

There are plenty of calculators out there, google away, and you will be able to find almost exactly how many calories you need for maintenance.

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bla if you are lean already obviously one would need more calories to maintain there lean mass. However I was speaking in terms if those who are over weight and need to lose weight. Like I said some will disagree and that is ok.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well, even for the overweight.

Someone who is 300lbs shouldn't go about eating just 3000 calories, the deficit may be too big and therefore go into starvation mode.

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its cool if you disagree. I was 300 lbs 5 months ago with a body fat percent of almost 40 plus percent. During a rescent contest I dropped 37 lbs of fat and gained 7 lbs of muscle with only 1800 calories. Yes my energy was up and down but when all was said and done I am now 265 and 29% body fat. I actually may be a little leaner than that now. I bumped my calories up to 2500 and my strength and everyrhing had gone through the roof. I average 1-2 lbs a week in weight loss. And it is all based on a 10 calories per pound of lean mass. If I were a lean and inshape guy like I used to be when I was 200 lbs and in the single digits for body fat I ate approx 3600 calories just to maintain.

Alot of this weight loss game is your age and activity level. One who does not exercise everyday would need less calories than a person who trains once or twice a day 5-7 times a week.

I am glad you disagree with me as it will help this guy understand that there are many different approaches to losing weight properly. And he shall find what works best for him. Since I am around his size with the exception of being heavier. I just offered up some tips that has worked for me.

Have a great day. By the way mach if you would like to see what my diet consist of shoot me a pm and I will send you a copy. :)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Is there a reason why you are doing all these shakes vs. real food?
Yes; it's more anabolic, much more. It's also cheaper and more satisfying in my opinion. If youre trying to hit a certain amount of macros/calories and need a supplement snack then sure but your template 6 meals should be whole foods. It takes a lot more energy metabolically to break down real food than supplement s you face additional benefits besides the nutrient intake. Carbs and protein spike insulin, cabrs and protein together really spike insulin. The only time you would ever really want this to happen is post workout when the body is deprived of nutrients and the muscle tissues are calling for building blocks to start recovery. Any other time insulin takes a jump like that you face more triglyceride storage in adipose tissue (fat cells).

I truly don't believe in fasted cardio. A lot more research is being put out about experiments between fasted and non-fasted cardio where the fasted group actually burns off less. To me this makes sense - the body doesn't have any immediate nutrient so it's going to try and hold on to what it can but be forced to burn off what it has but the non-fasted group... say 1 scoop whey pre-cardio... has a little more to give so the body is a bit more relaxed and willing to expend energy reserves. Have a couple ounces of chicken or a scoop of whey first thing you wake up to do cardio.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exercising fasting or fed to enhance fat loss? Influence of food intake on respiratory ratio and excess postexercise oxygen consumption after a bout of endurance training.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011 Feb;21(1):48-54

Two groups in a crossover study (meaning all participants did both protocols).

Food intake was the same overall, the only difference was performing endurance cardio either fasted or after breakfast.

Fat oxidation was higher after the fed training session, both 12 and 24 hours after the training session when compared to the fasted state.

"The authors conclude that when moderate endurance exercise is done to lose body fat, fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization; rather, physical activity after a light meal is advisable."

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
I hear this same thing from people who are trying to diet "I just can't eat that much" The reason for this is your metabolism isnt operating properly and your body isnt used to eating like that. The first couple weeks will be tough, its a transition phase where nothing is really going to feel comfortable. But to just starve abd drink shakes will not get you to where you want to go. How long do you honestly think your going to stick to your layed out diet plan? There are hardly any carbs in there, your going to be starving. You said it yourself "I've been on the couch" well so you know why you got overweight, lack of exercise. So now just factor in the exercise and you wont have to starve. Just eat a balanced diet, 60% carbs, 25% protein, 15% fats. People get this **** ass backwards and turn it all around and they wonder why they feel like crap during a diet. If most guys followed the little food triangle you learn about in elementary school and exercised consistently they'd be shocked at how well they looked in a few months. Just my advice

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Its not a triangle anymore. Its a pie chart in the shape of a plate. And it ****ing insults my intelligence. lol

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
thanx for all the info guys..ima rite up a new diet considering everything and post it later..i wud like if yus help me wit that also.thanks again

Dwane

Awards
Thanks for the information guys and keep it up and i agree with you that diet plays an important role and it has much importance in one' life.