Weight Loss Tips and Tricks

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
LOSING Weight is all about GAINING!
Gaining momentum and speeding up your metabolism! Below are a few tricks that really help cut the fat and boost your metabolism!

Avoid JUICES!!!-Get your nutrition from calories you chew rather then swallow
Increase Your Fiber!!!- At least 20-30grams a day 4-5 days a week
Increase Healthy Fats- Increase your fish servings(2-4 per week) to get those Omega 3s
REPLACE SUGARS AND SALTS- Replace ALL salt with Sea Salt and All Sugar with Stevia or Agave to help boost the metabolism and remove unhealthy additives

Well I think that's a great start! What can you guys add? All Suggestions Welcomed!

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Good post. I live by all of these except the salt. Is using sea salt vs. Regular salt really important?

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
chemically they are identical so it won't really make a difference.. other than trace minerals that are removed in the processing of table salt.. sea salt has all of the trace elements left in it.. Table salt also contains additives to keep it from clumping which Sea salt doesn't.. minor differences, but the they are differences are so minute it wouldn't change anything really.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sea Salt Vs. Regular Salt

Good post. I live by all of these except the salt. Is using sea salt vs. Regular salt really important?
Sea Salt is subject to less processing than Table Salt and actually contains less sodium. It is a more "pure" form of Salt and doesn't contain any iodine, which is good to avoid symptoms of iodine toxicity. In my opinion, Sea Salt also adds more flavor to your food, even when using less of it! I usually put one shake of sea salt on my veggies that I stir-fry on the stove and that's all I need! Instead of shaking and shaking table salt all over it. And remember when cutting fat, your sodium intake should be as LOW as possible, so Sea Salt gives you more bang for your Shake!

Last edited:
MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Your Right!

chemically they are identical so it won't really make a difference.. other than trace minerals that are removed in the processing of table salt.. sea salt has all of the trace elements left in it.. Table salt also contains additives to keep it from clumping which Sea salt doesn't.. minor differences, but the they are differences are so minute it wouldn't change anything really.
You got it man. Well said. Those anti-clumping agents are really what makes the difference in the salt. Due to it being so "fine" it is also harder to tell how much you are putting on your food.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I am really starting to believe more and more from my own experience that the two keys to the entire operation are as simple as 1. monitoring your total calorie intake and 2. keeping your simple sugar intake as low as possible. I think the focus that a lot of people have on minimizing total carbohydrate intake is misplaced (which is why I'm glad the original poster specified).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I think that's a great start! What can you guys add? All Suggestions Welcomed!
Add cinnamon and red pepper when applicable.
Increase water intake.
Drink water upon rising.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Totally Agree

Add cinnamon and red pepper when applicable.
Increase water intake.
Drink water upon rising.
That's what I was waiting for someone to add! Well Done! I love adding cinnamon to my meals and it def. helps spike the metab as well as the red pepper. I use red pepper "flakes" on a lot of my veggies and have even used cinnamon on my meats with my "dry rub" seasonings mix that I put together...
;-) I'll share the secret recipe in another post!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Exactly

I am really starting to believe more and more from my own experience that the two keys to the entire operation are as simple as 1. monitoring your total calorie intake and 2. keeping your simple sugar intake as low as possible. I think the focus that a lot of people have on minimizing total carbohydrate intake is misplaced (which is why I'm glad the original poster specified).
It's not about cutting so much as it is adding! Your right. You just REMOVE the bad carbs and REPLACE with good ones. Just a few examples

Brown Rice instead of white
Whole wheat pasta(so many kinds) instead of regular pasta
Double The Veggies always helps fight cravings too

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
It's not about cutting so much as it is adding! Your right. You just REMOVE the bad carbs and REPLACE with good ones. Just a few examples

Brown Rice instead of white
Whole wheat pasta(so many kinds) instead of regular pasta

Double The Veggies always helps fight cravings too
im waiting for the paleo warriors to come out now. you don't know* what you've done!

edited cause somehow i forgot to put 'know'......:D

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Paleo Great Ones

im waiting for the paleo warriors to come out now. you don't know* what you've done!

edited cause somehow i forgot to put 'know'......:D
LOL They have some great concepts but I don't know about the whole fasting thing...Not when you are trying to "build muscle" You deprive your body of the nutrients it needs!

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
LOL They have some great concepts but I don't know about the whole fasting thing...Not when you are trying to "build muscle" You deprive your body of the nutrients it needs!
well, fasting isn't really part of the paleo diet. i actually believe in fasting.

i fast 16-18 hours a day :D. i have been for the past month or two and ive seen some great results. you should give it a try.

heres a couple logs where people are using the same protocol

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/176745-schwellington-kicks-summers.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/172945-rickrock-finding-his.html

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well, this post is pretty flawed in many ways depending on your take on things...

The whole idea of trying to give "general" weight loss tips and tricks is just impossible. I am on the Metabolic Diet and most of these hints don't apply or would actually make me gain fat rather than lose it.

Also, Salt has not proven do be of any harm during cuts; contrary to popular belief it will not make you retain water. So there isn't any actual "weight loss value" added to not eating salt or replacing it with sea salt for that matter.

But again, perhaps to the regular obese american some of these may prove helpful, but I wouldn't say it applies in many cases.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Fix It

Well, this post is pretty flawed in many ways depending on your take on things...

The whole idea of trying to give "general" weight loss tips and tricks is just impossible. I am on the Metabolic Diet and most of these hints don't apply or would actually make me gain fat rather than lose it.

Also, Salt has not proven do be of any harm during cuts; contrary to popular belief it will not make you retain water. So there isn't any actual "weight loss value" added to not eating salt or replacing it with sea salt for that matter.

But again, perhaps to the regular obese american some of these may prove helpful, but I wouldn't say it applies in many cases.
Well It only have 5 posts...There is plenty of room to clean it up! ;-) What are your personal ways of cutting that you suggest?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well, like I mentioned, it's going to be dependent on what diet you choose to follow;

One main thing that applies to most diets though is: make sure you got your macros right and follow those. Also, try to avoid mixing the macros up, i.e. don't eat carbs in the same meal as you are taking in heavy fat. Don't eat carbs at night either and get plenty of protein.

Because here is the thing, if you're on a high fat diet, for instance, you should be getting as much fat meat as you possibly can, but if you're on a high carb diet it's the other way around and you should be consuming nothing but lean turkey, chicken, tuna etc. I on the other hand, bacon my ass off and that works for me.

Also as pointed out, keep an eye out for calories. The whole cals in < cals out is basically what it boils down to. It is hard to give general advice considering the amount of different diets out there I guess. The main advice would be, stay away from high fructose corn syrup and its derivatives. And don't think that just because it says 0 calories it means it's good for you.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well, like I mentioned, it's going to be dependent on what diet you choose to follow;

One main thing that applies to most diets though is: make sure you got your macros right and follow those. Also, try to avoid mixing the macros up, i.e. don't eat carbs in the same meal as you are taking in heavy fat. Don't eat carbs at night either and get plenty of protein.

Because here is the thing, if you're on a high fat diet, for instance, you should be getting as much fat meat as you possibly can, but if you're on a high carb diet it's the other way around and you should be consuming nothing but lean turkey, chicken, tuna etc. I on the other hand, bacon my ass off and that works for me.

Also as pointed out, keep an eye out for calories. The whole cals in < cals out is basically what it boils down to. It is hard to give general advice considering the amount of different diets out there I guess. The main advice would be, stay away from high fructose corn syrup and its derivatives. And don't think that just because it says 0 calories it means it's good for you.
Well just bc it says 0 Calories does not make it good for you automatically...I agree with that but ingredients are just as important as calories. They are specific things that just are counter-productive to your hard work you put in at the gym. For instance, it is nearly impossible to get a perfect six pack without cutting down your sodium intake, No matter how many calories are in the food. I think knowing things like this make what I said so important. Controlling your metabolism can be your saving grace. Abs are made in the kitchen and you don't want your hard work to go to waste so you always want to compliment that with nutritional knowledge and healthy habits to keep your body always looking its best. ;-) Like replacing any hydrogenated soybean oil with good healthy fats instead like avocados, peanut butter and extra virgin olive oil. I just thing in order not to get "burned out" its better to learn how to "replace" then to "eliminate"

bearall

Awards
this goes without saying but NO SODA EVER

drinking soda is probably the worst thing you can possibly do

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established

This is a gross exaggeration. If you're referring specifically to full-calorie, 35 grams of HFCS soda (e.g. Coke, Pepsi) day in and day out then OK -- we all know that and I agree. But the countless variations of low calorie and calorie free soda water are another story.

My great grandfather has drank 1-2 cans of diet soda a day for the past 15 years or so -- he's 97, entirely independent, and free of disease and disability. I've worked with at least 6-7 different people (both men and women) who made significant progress with fat loss who consistently drank diet soda and low/no calorie soda variations. They can be extremely advantageous in satisfying sweet cravings during periods where dietary choices are limited or calories are restricted.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Things I would add:

Track your calories- If you don't know exactly how many calories you're getting, how can you manipulate your intake to speed up results? Most people get more calories than they realize. I certainly did before I started tracking everything.

Lift more- Resistance training should be the centerpiece to losing fat. Building muscle allows you to burn more calories through the day.

Be more active- Go for a 45 minute walk in the morning. Go for another walk when you have time. Park farther away. Do active recovery on off days. Anything to keep you moving more.

Start with carbs first- I know so many people who have seen dramatic results by lowering carb intake. If you're stuck in a rut try carb cycling or try to go for a few weeks with around 100 grams or less of carbs. See if this does the trick for you.

Decrease stress- Living stressfully increases cortisol which leads to catabolism and weight gain. Do whatever you have to to decrease stress.

I can probably come up with others, but I gotta go eat...and yes I will be tracking it :)

jacked814

Awards
The iodine in salt isn't for clumping. It is for iodine deficiency which is very wide-spread, especially in undeveloped countries, and can lead to thyroid problems. It helped to prevent the frequency of Goiter cases (inflamed thyroid), which is not pretty. So just make sure you get your iodine from somewhere.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
fasted AM workouts with supersets/dropsets/pre-exhaustion/cardio

nutrient partitioners

carb cycling

keto (extreme measures)

all one really needs to do is cut rest periods/and up the intensity and volume and that can make up for dieting issues

fasting works too- youre not gunna lose muscle.... trust me im a wrestler/trainer

no grains/gluten/wheat/soy/pasta/alcohol/high glycemic foods

/thread

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Discipline, discipline, and more discipline. Count your calories fellas and count how many you're burning. Don't underestimate intense lifting and add creatine if you need it to help with training intensity.

Hussey

Awards
Here i am going to show you some tips.
1. Do any exercise daily.
2. Stop more eating.
3. Stop sugar free things.
4. Stop any oily things like pizza etc.

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
Decrease stress- Living stressfully increases cortisol which leads to catabolism and weight gain. Do whatever you have to to decrease stress.
Yes! This is absolutely right. Stress gives our body lots of negative effects and we are not even aware of it.

imsothemanxd

Awards
1. Macronutrients
2. Carb cycling
3. lose fat from diet not cardio.
4. cardio 3 days week
5. eat for bodytype (I cant lose fat unless I eat probably 50 grams or less on a 2400 calorie diet and my test stays so high i feel like im Ragin)
6. Caffeine or ECA
7. 6 on 1 off rotation
8. fasted morning training
9. BCAA's
10. SLEEP 8+ hours

My top 10 fat burner secrets

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2. Stop more eating.
I had to call out this user's "advice" in a similar thread and I'll do it again here. This is far too vague and particular "stop more eating" is about a joke because eating tons of broccoli or lettuce obviously isn't going to cause a negative impact. And sugar free products are perfectly fine to eat. I hate seeing misadvice being spread around like this.

arekwhite

Awards
Thanks for this helpful article i was really looking for it, i am going to follow these tips....

Curlz

Awards
Dont buy the stuff you will cheat on, keep the stuff in your house healthy!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards

^^I think it depends on what type of soda and how often. If you include any type of "cheat" meal in your diet, its hard not to wash it down with something other than water...even if its 0 or 100 calorie soda ;-)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is a gross exaggeration. If you're referring specifically to full-calorie, 35 grams of HFCS soda (e.g. Coke, Pepsi) day in and day out then OK -- we all know that and I agree. But the countless variations of low calorie and calorie free soda water are another story.

My great grandfather has drank 1-2 cans of diet soda a day for the past 15 years or so -- he's 97, entirely independent, and free of disease and disability. I've worked with at least 6-7 different people (both men and women) who made significant progress with fat loss who consistently drank diet soda and low/no calorie soda variations. They can be extremely advantageous in satisfying sweet cravings during periods where dietary choices are limited or calories are restricted.
That's awesome to hear! Great add. Repped!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Things I would add:

Track your calories- If you don't know exactly how many calories you're getting, how can you manipulate your intake to speed up results? Most people get more calories than they realize. I certainly did before I started tracking everything.

Lift more- Resistance training should be the centerpiece to losing fat. Building muscle allows you to burn more calories through the day.

Be more active- Go for a 45 minute walk in the morning. Go for another walk when you have time. Park farther away. Do active recovery on off days. Anything to keep you moving more.

Start with carbs first- I know so many people who have seen dramatic results by lowering carb intake. If you're stuck in a rut try carb cycling or try to go for a few weeks with around 100 grams or less of carbs. See if this does the trick for you.

I can probably come up with others, but I gotta go eat...and yes I will be tracking it :)
Tracking cals is def. key. And there are so many great ways to do it that make it really easy now. Mobile Apps. Websites. etc. Def. no excuses to make your body into whatever you want it to be ;-)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The iodine in salt isn't for clumping. It is for iodine deficiency which is very wide-spread, especially in undeveloped countries, and can lead to thyroid problems. It helped to prevent the frequency of Goiter cases (inflamed thyroid), which is not pretty. So just make sure you get your iodine from somewhere.
^^Agreed. There are def. MANY ways to get your Iodine in though daily.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
fasted AM workouts with supersets/dropsets/pre-exhaustion/cardio

nutrient partitioners

carb cycling

keto (extreme measures)

all one really needs to do is cut rest periods/and up the intensity and volume and that can make up for dieting issues

fasting works too- youre not gunna lose muscle.... trust me im a wrestler/trainer

no grains/gluten/wheat/soy/pasta/alcohol/high glycemic foods

/thread
Awesome! Great adds!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Discipline, discipline, and more discipline. Count your calories fellas and count how many you're burning. Don't underestimate intense lifting and add creatine if you need it to help with training intensity.
^^There is no "IF" in needing helping with training intensity...It is NECESSARY. Everyone needs a lift! ;-)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
2. Stop more eating.
^Gotta start somewhere I guess?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
1. Macronutrients
2. Carb cycling
3. lose fat from diet not cardio.
4. cardio 3 days week
5. eat for bodytype (I cant lose fat unless I eat probably 50 grams or less on a 2400 calorie diet and my test stays so high i feel like im Ragin)
6. Caffeine or ECA
7. 6 on 1 off rotation
8. fasted morning training
9. BCAA's
10. SLEEP 8+ hours

My top 10 fat burner secrets
Now that's a great top ten. LOL at the "ATL Shawty" in your tag. LOL

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I had to call out this user's "advice" in a similar thread and I'll do it again here. This is far too vague and particular "stop more eating" is about a joke because eating tons of broccoli or lettuce obviously isn't going to cause a negative impact. And sugar free products are perfectly fine to eat. I hate seeing misadvice being spread around like this.
^^Thanks ;-)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks for this helpful article i was really looking for it, i am going to follow these tips....
Awesome! Enjoy let me know of any progress you make towards your fitness goals! ;-)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you are eating more but also doing exercise as compared to your diet then it would not hurt you at all.
Just there is a need to make a balance in calorie intake and burn.
Thanks
? I'm confused

lfawcett44

Awards
Solid advice here, straight to the point.
fasted AM workouts with supersets/dropsets/pre-exhaustion/cardionutrient partitionerscarb cyclingketo (extreme measures)all one really needs to do is cut rest periods/and up the intensity and volume and that can make up for dieting issuesfasting works too- youre not gunna lose muscle.... trust me im a wrestler/trainerno grains/gluten/wheat/soy/pasta/alcohol/high glycemic foods /thread