Help failed a physical

Darkhighlander

Awards
I need help. I failed a physical and lost a good job. They said it was the step part that I failed, which is bugging me because I can jump on a Stairmaster for a ½ hour or more at a decent pace any day of the week. So I am thinking it was a heart rate problem? Besides losing weight and diet what should I do change machines? I got on this machine that was like stairs on a conveyer belt and it whipped my ass within 4 minutes. Should I concentrate on that machine?

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
What is your job if you dont mind me asking? I actually agree with fitness tests for some jobs.

They had to have given you a specific reason why you didnt pass. What was it? And I cant believe you were fired for that? Are you law enforcement? Military?

If it was heart rate/deconditioning that made you fail, yes pick a more difficult cardio machine. If you KNOW thats the only machine they make you use, yes practice on that machine.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you could get a physicians waiver that says you are temporarily incapacitated and unable to pass the test for whatever reason. Maybe something like this would help you keep your job.. atleast buy you some time..

Darkhighlander

Awards
It was for a new job as an instrumentation tech for a coal mine and that was the last part besides background check and the job was mine. Do you think my heart rate got to high to quick , if so how do you fix this ?

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Well they shouldve told you why you didnt pass, specifically. If your heart rate was too high, it means you are out of shape bro. You need to do more cardiovascular exercise and build your endurance.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You definitely need to get on a step mill that kicked your tail. Those things are brutal. Definitely different than a typical stairmaster.

themetal

Awards
Improve overall cardio performance. HIIT training would definitely do the trick.

Darkhighlander

Awards
Any idea how long it will take to get the heart rate lower? Been busting my ass in the gym with cardio. And dont want to fail the next physical.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I ran into this problem when I was working at a joint-service command in the military. Air Force switched to a "bicycle" test and measured heart rates at different levels of exertion. I was Navy but had AF folks working for me. The first year of the test - 80 percent of my smokers passed the test - and 80 percent of my marathon runners FAILED the test.

Yeah - i called up the Air Force on that and the guy told me this ...

The test measures heart recovery and response rates - so the faster your heart is at adapting to different levels of exertion - the better your score is.

Marathon runners - train for a constant speed - yielding an almost non-changing heart rate. This is essential for running marathons successfully - but not that good at heart adaptation training.

The guy told me to enroll those Marathon guys in an on-base aerobics class where the level of exertion is constantly changing. It only took 'em three weeks after I did this - and they all passed.

Sooooo ... I recommend, if you do cardio - you do intervals - a constant level of exertion isn't going to help you much.

My two cents.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Improve overall cardio performance. HIIT training would definitely do the trick.
It would do the trick - but if he's unfamiliar with HIIT - or if he actually has a heart problem - that could be problematic.

Like I said - a good option is interval training. You can do that easily on any cardio machine or by running - just keep switching up the level of exertion and forcing your heart to adapt to it. The more you do it - the better your heart gets at doing it.

Depending on how badly he failed the test - he could get into shape within a month I'll bet. Heart is pretty good and improving very fast as long as it's healthy and it's properly trained.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Marathon runners - train for a constant speed - yielding an almost non-changing heart rate. This is essential for running marathons successfully - but not that good at heart adaptation training.
A good marathon runner will incorporate interval training into their routine such as running the last few miles of say, 12 miles, 30 seconds faster each of those miles. They also have different training runs such as long runs and short "tempo" runs where they may do 6 unsually fast miles.

This strategy helps the runner to more easily complete miles late in a marathon.

Nonetheless, your info was very interesting and worth looking at some studies on. If the only way a particular marathon runner trains is with long steady runs all the time, it makes sense.

Better tell your marathon runners to throw in some tempo runs or intervals into their training :bigok:

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
A good marathon runner will incorporate interval training into their routine such as running the last few miles of say, 12 miles, 30 seconds faster each of those miles.
Forgot to mention - this was way back in 1992-95 era - so at least 16 years ago. These also weren't "professional" marathoners. They were marathoners in the sense that they had all trained for, and participated in several marathons (not just one) - they were all capable of finishing a race (not necessarily in the top) ... so basically, amateurs with a passion. None of the ones that failed practiced anything more complicated than jogging long distances for training.

But that Air Force "tricycle" test was hilarious. I was testing one guy in a room where the Marines of the command were doing their bodyfat measurements. One Marine weighed and tape fat - hell, he was visibly fat and his Gunny went "off" on him when he failed - spewing a high-volume of obscene insults that scared the hell out of the Air Force guy I was testing - his heart rate soared - and he FAILED the test!!

I tested him the next day and he did fine! :p

HomeWorkouts

Awards
The best way to get better at a specific task is to practice that task. So practice the exact type of test they gave you. What was the specific test anyway? Stepping? on stairs? for how long? Using other movements in your training for it is good too, but I would keep other things to less than 50% of the training