Dairy Free Cheese made of Canola oil

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So I picked up a bag of DAIYA Mozzarella from Whole Foods. Daiya Vegan Cheese, Dairy Free Cheese alternatives

Dairy makes me feel like garbage, hence the purchase. Tastes pretty good and melts decently.

The label says: non-GMO expeller pressed canola or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower along with other ingredients.

So, I'm curious about the healthiness of this product. Is Canola as healthy as Olive Oil? Where does it rank on the healthy oils chart?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Canola oil is not as healthy for you as olive, especially not when heated as it quickly generates the toxin 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (HNE) in temperatures over 300 degrees (so don't melt this cheese).

The debate over the exact health implications of canola oil, which is not corn oil but refined rape seed oil, is pretty lengthy, and there has yet to be a clear answer.

Canola oil is cheap to produce and even cheaper in regards to shelf life and is in nearly everything. Peronally, I try to avoid canola oil and stick to more natural oils, such as olive, high oleic sunflower or coconut.

Check out cabbot sharp chedder cheese. It is lactose free and they have one that is high in DHA.

Or, you can look into smart beat cheese.

Br

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thank you for the very informative answer