Taste of keto

  1. New Member
    ephedroman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    125
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    90.18%

    Taste of keto


    I've been doing keto for a week or so and I dont know if everyone else goes through this but anytime im in a very low carb state it's like my breath smells like ass.

    Ill brush my teeth and like 30 minutes later there goes that "ass" taste again. I know you produce ketones to which is what i always thought that taste was. Can anyone clarify this or is just me?

  2. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1228
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Acetone... supposedly it smells like nail polish remover, but whenever ive done keto ive never had any odd taste or smell
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  3. New Member
    ephedroman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    125
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    90.18%

    Its like my mouth gets dry and my breathe smells of something between meals but if i eat a high carb meal it would go away like it kicked me out of ketosis or something.

    Then again maybe its just me.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    Rhyno's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    418
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    60.62%

    Sugar-free gum, ftw.
  5. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    op, may i ask about your diet? could you lay out what you're eating. i'm following pulumbo's diet right now and i bought these "test strips" and it still (after 4 days) says i'm not in ketosis......just wondering if i should go lower in carbs and want to see how others are doing it....
  6. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    op, may i ask about your diet? could you lay out what you're eating. i'm following pulumbo's diet right now and i bought these "test strips" and it still (after 4 days) says i'm not in ketosis......just wondering if i should go lower in carbs and want to see how others are doing it....
    Ive done DP's cutting diet and had good results on it. How many weeks into it are you lennox? and did if you just started, what did last weeks carb intake look like?

    It may take you a little while to get going but once you do, you'll love the results as long as you can handle the diet

    I probably had ~10g or something higher than what DPs sample outline was, I was so damn hungry I was snacking on cashews all the time.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  7. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    Ive done DP's cutting diet and had good results on it. How many weeks into it are you lennox? and did if you just started, what did last weeks carb intake look like?

    It may take you a little while to get going but once you do, you'll love the results as long as you can handle the diet

    I probably had ~10g or something higher than what DPs sample outline was, I was so damn hungry I was snacking on cashews all the time.
    i followed his out line

    For a 200lb man:

    MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

    MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

    MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

    MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

    MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

    MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites
  8. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I know lol :P

    you didnt answer my questions tho haha
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  9. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    I know lol :P

    you didnt answer my questions tho haha
    sorry this low carbs thing has me a bit retarded.
    one week and this week
    started 2 weeks ago on Monday through Saturday.
    Sunday woke up and did a full body w/o then it was on.....
    then this last Monday, started again.
    i'm somewhere in the 30 to 45 carbs a day range. i shoot for 5 carbs per meal....
  10. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    sorry this low carbs thing has me a bit retarded.
    one week and this week
    started 2 weeks ago on Monday through Saturday.
    Sunday woke up and did a full body w/o then it was on.....
    then this last Monday, started again.
    i'm somewhere in the 30 to 45 carbs a day range. i shoot for 5 carbs per meal....
    Some people cut their carbs in half a week or two prior to stating a "keto" diet. so like if youre average intake is 300, week or so prior they'll cut it to 100/150ish. but anyways...

    When I did this diet I noticed a couple of things. the "cheat meal" it pretty much says eat whatever. I went for high carb meal later in the diet vs a meal of choice.

    I was also doing cardio at liek 30mins a day 4 days a week. low intensity.

    first couple of weeks were gay, didnt get into keto much well I was going by urine smell rather than test strips tho.

    I did this diet for little over 3 months, lost liek 5lbs if that but I lost lotta bf.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  11. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    Some people cut their carbs in half a week or two prior to stating a "keto" diet. so like if youre average intake is 300, week or so prior they'll cut it to 100/150ish. but anyways...

    When I did this diet I noticed a couple of things. the "cheat meal" it pretty much says eat whatever. I went for high carb meal later in the diet vs a meal of choice.

    I was also doing cardio at liek 30mins a day 4 days a week. low intensity.

    first couple of weeks were gay, didnt get into keto much well I was going by urine smell rather than test strips tho.

    I did this diet for little over 3 months, lost liek 5lbs if that but I lost lotta bf.
    3 months 5 lbs...screw that. i've gotta switch something up. after a month i might just go crazy if i only see a 3 lb decrease in bf. all the fat i have is in the lower abs (bellybutton area) and a little bit in the chest.
  12. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    3 months 5 lbs...screw that. i've gotta switch something up. after a month i might just go crazy if i only see a 3 lb decrease in bf. all the fat i have is in the lower abs (bellybutton area) and a little bit in the chest.
    5lbs of fat is a lot tho, idk what your bf is but mine was prolly ~12ish? starting than I ended up like my avatar. not saying Im razor ripped but there was an improvement.

    I think you'll have good results with it, wasnt trying to discourage you
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  13. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    5lbs of fat is a lot tho, idk what your bf is but mine was prolly ~12ish? starting than I ended up like my avatar. not saying Im razor ripped but there was an improvement.

    I think you'll have good results with it, wasnt trying to discourage you
    NAW man you totally discouraged me. i'm on my way to the store now for some ice cream sandwiches with gummi bear chaser......thx, thx a lot (crying hoplessly)........



    j/k

    i'm gonna give it a run for a month and then see where i'm at. how was your refeed days? 12 hours or more? what did you eat
  14. Senior Member
    youngandfree's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    56037
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    79.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    If he lost only 5 lbs in 3 months something was probably not completely on point.

    Lennoxchi most people that start keto go 2 weeks before carb up to get your body into the keto fat burning mode. Tally up your consumption, cals fat prot and carbs. If you aren't losing yet, its possible the totals are a touch higher than you need. What you posted looks fine. Are you getting any hidden carbs that you aren't accounting for? Keto can be a slow process sometime, but you can speed it up like any other diet by lowering total calories. Stick with the. Diet and day after carbs try to burn up the stored glycogen as quick as possible to help get back into ketosis. You should still be losing 1-2lbs per week otherwise total cals might be high.

    To the OP, the strips aremt very accurate especially if you stay well hydrated which dilutes the ketone concentration in the urine. Smelly breath and urine are goods signs. Keep total carbs to 30 including any trace carbs and you will be fine.
  15. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post

    Lennoxchi most people that start keto go 2 weeks before carb up to get your body into the keto fat burning mode. Tally up your consumption, cals fat prot and carbs. If you aren't losing yet, its possible the totals are a touch higher than you need. What you posted looks fine. Are you getting any hidden carbs that you aren't accounting for? Keto can be a slow process sometime, but you can speed it up like any other diet by lowering total calories. Stick with the. Diet and day after carbs try to burn up the stored glycogen as quick as possible to help get back into ketosis. You should still be losing 1-2lbs per week otherwise total cals might be high.
    .
    seems like sound advise. i thought the same thing myself that's why i dropped one egg from that diet that was listed above. might drop the salad back a little too next week and then figure out something else to drop the week after. i was also planning of doing HIIT the day after carbs to (like you mentioned) get back into ketosis right away......
  16. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    988
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    op, may i ask about your diet? could you lay out what you're eating. i'm following pulumbo's diet right now and i bought these "test strips" and it still (after 4 days) says i'm not in ketosis......just wondering if i should go lower in carbs and want to see how others are doing it....
    Ketostix are a bunch of bullsh1t. They only test for one type of ketone and if you're burning them efficiently, they won't be present in your urine thus it will appear that you're not in ketosis when you are.
  17. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1228
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Ketostix are a bunch of bullsh1t. They only test for one type of ketone and if you're burning them efficiently, they won't be present in your urine thus it will appear that you're not in ketosis when you are.
    Correct.

    If your'e gonna use a strip, dont do it right after a workout. Ketones will be burned up and it wont register on the piss stick.

    30-40 grams of carbs is alot dog. If you are counting those 30-40 each day, you're probably actually getting more than that and you dont know it. Also, too much protein will keep you out of ketosis.. i know, its a b****. Get 1g protein per pound of bodyweight and 500 cals under maintenance.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  18. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    NAW man you totally discouraged me. i'm on my way to the store now for some ice cream sandwiches with gummi bear chaser......thx, thx a lot (crying hoplessly)........



    j/k

    i'm gonna give it a run for a month and then see where i'm at. how was your refeed days? 12 hours or more? what did you eat
    Well DP said just 1 cheat meal per week, I started out going to a buffet and eating everythign in site lol.

    Later on like 3 weeks in, Id have a big piece of german choclate cake with a giant glass or milk. or some pizza, nothing fancy and my cheat meal was probably ~800k calories. I noticed the best results and differences when the cheat meals were normal sized, that was kind of hard to do cuz you eat the same food over n over n over.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  19. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    Well DP said just 1 cheat meal per week, I started out going to a buffet and eating everythign in site lol.

    Later on like 3 weeks in, Id have a big piece of german choclate cake with a giant glass or milk. or some pizza, nothing fancy and my cheat meal was probably ~800k calories. I noticed the best results and differences when the cheat meals were normal sized, that was kind of hard to do cuz you eat the same food over n over n over.
    word, last week (week one) i had 6 ice cream sandwiches (skinny cow) 30 gummi bears, 2 bananas, some kind of sour candy the GF bought me, granola all in about 7 hours.....it felt like it was the last meal i was ever going to eat. i think people forget how much food has carbs in it....almost everything does. i missed fruit the most. i was somewhere around 400 carbs that day, this week i think i'll restrain myself to some pizza and 3 ice cream sandwiches...
  20. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    word, last week (week one) i had 6 ice cream sandwiches (skinny cow) 30 gummi bears, 2 bananas, some kind of sour candy the GF bought me, granola all in about 7 hours.....it felt like it was the last meal i was ever going to eat. i think people forget how much food has carbs in it....almost everything does. i missed fruit the most. i was somewhere around 400 carbs that day, this week i think i'll restrain myself to some pizza and 3 ice cream sandwiches...
    Lol thats the way I felt too, Id be consuming like 3k+ in crap lol.

    incream sammichs Mmm! Im gonna get some for this weekend

    but yeah keep it in moderation, thats what I learned from doing it!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Low carb keto pancakes that taste good!
    By youngandfree in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
  2. JP8 Taste?
    By WarcraftJJS in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
  3. Taste?
    By UNCfan1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
  4. NOW Foods 7-Keto or 7-Keto MuscLean
    By fatburner2007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 07:58 AM
  5. HMB taste like ****!!!!
    By dr ozz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in