Matthew D or Bobo

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. Quote Originally Posted by jjjd
    what do people think of a supp. like muscle milk post-workout (for cutting or bulking).

    the CW is that pw shake should be protein and carbs, however MM has protein, relatively low carbs, and a substantial fat portion (albeit mostly "good" fats)

    based on the CW i would hesitate to make it my post w/o shake, but any thoughts on this?
    MM is no good post WO due to the fat content. No fats post WO! This is a fact on which there is no contention I assume


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    TheUsual,


    this maybe good for some who just want mass/FAT (or ectomorphs) but my idea of bodybuilding is to look good ALL the time. i actually just dumped the rest of my dex & malto in the bin & stocked up natural honey (i'm fortunate to know someone with bees ) & oats.

    the results i'm getting speak for themselves. Bobo was the one who got me thinking about the oats & it worked well.

    Jag
    JAG, what kind of oats are you using?? Cause I know those 'instant oats' are a pretty high GI
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
    JAG, what kind of oats are you using?? Cause I know those 'instant oats' are a pretty high GI
    Only instant "packs" of oats are High GI - IE. Maple brown sugar,mmm, peaches and cream etc. The instant plain oatmeal (you know the one where you add 1 cup of water for 1 cup of oats and cook 1 min in micorwave are low GI)

  4. From what I've read in "The Zone" which, by the way has excellent discussions on how food affects hormones, says that those instant oats, plain or not, are still high GI. The ones that are still in big thick bunches and take 10-30 minutes to cook are the lower GI oats. Coincidentally, the longer it takes to cook them, the slower they digest and affect your bloodsugar

  5. try the irish steel cut oats. they taste GREAT (nutty and filling). and have all the fiber. they are not rolled, but cut.

    i like them with some milk, whey protein powder, butter, and erythritol (fake sugar)
    •   
       


  6. cool, thanks

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
    JAG, what kind of oats are you using?? Cause I know those 'instant oats' are a pretty high GI
    i just use good ol' Uncle Toby's Traditional oats.

    i have cooked them before but i usually just have them raw. less hassle!!

    i really look forward to this shake after training now.

    Jag

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
    From what I've read in "The Zone" which, by the way has excellent discussions on how food affects hormones, says that those instant oats, plain or not, are still high GI. The ones that are still in big thick bunches and take 10-30 minutes to cook are the lower GI oats. Coincidentally, the longer it takes to cook them, the slower they digest and affect your bloodsugar


    I agree that the instant are higher 65 on the glycemic index compared to slow cooked which is 49 Gi. A litte to close to to 70 which isn't horrible but still not the best - you made me research as I thought plain instant was equal to slow cooked - I am now switching my oats, haha

  9. Alright so: No fats in the post w/o shake
    MCTs in pre w/o shake

    Is this correct?
    How about simple carbs in the pre w/o shake or should we just use protein?

  10. I would say no the the simple sugars pre w/o as this will cause an insulin spike which will make it difficult to access your fat stores during the workout.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
    I would say no the the simple sugars pre w/o as this will cause an insulin spike which will make it difficult to access your fat stores during the workout.
    Stored fat is not released and oxidized that quickly. Exercise releases the majority of FFA's into your bloodstream and diet over time oxidizes them. The production of insulin won't have any effects on "accessing fat stores" during exercise. In fact, cell permeability will increase and what happens after that depends on diet and circulating FFA's.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  12. If you have a high insulin level in response to a spike in your blood sugar, then how would one be able use fat for energy, when insulin is a storing hormone?

  13. Becuase its pre-workout and those calories will be used. The body uses all sources at all times, not just one. Insulin is a storage hormone but the bodies repsonse to exercise is to fill glyocgen stores first (skeletal muscle and liver), fat stores second and if there isn't an abundance of circultating FFA's then the probablity of nutrients being converted into tryglycerides is very unlikely. It would be better to sip it through your workout. In any case the best time you can get away with these tpye of drinks aorund pre or during workout.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Becuase its pre-workout and those calories will be used. The body uses all sources at all times, not just one. Insulin is a storage hormone but the bodies repsonse to exercise is to fill glyocgen stores first (skeletal muscle and liver), fat stores second and if there isn't an abundance of circultating FFA's then the probablity of nutrients being converted into tryglycerides is very unlikely. It would be better to sip it through your workout. In any case the best time you can get away with these tpye of drinks aorund pre or during workout.
    Thanks for the clarification.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    TheUsual,

    welcome here.

    i devoted a lot of time to experiment with this pre, during & post w/o nutrition buisness just to sort it out once & for all...............for myself.

    i was armed with a lot of info including Zeppilins "pre, during, post w/o nutrition" article. my conclusion was that all the dex & malto just made me FAT.
    Jag
    Jag, how much dex & pro were you using in your post WO shakes??
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bobo or other mod....
    By matthams in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 09:01 AM
  2. Bobo or MODS please email me
    By ag-guys in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
  3. Big Pete or Bobo...Anyone who knowa..
    By MaDmaN in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 10:07 PM
  4. (Bobo or anyone): When is the best time to take in fats?
    By adrenalinaddict in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:53 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Log in
Log in