Carbs from Brown Rice still bad?

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I have been studying a lot about nutrition and shaped up my diet. Being latin, i have the NEED to eat rice with basically every meal. So i went from white rice to brown rice, but i read that some people said you shouldn't take more than 40g of carbs a day.

A cup of cooked brown rice has 46g of carbs, so that means that I can't eat rice?

How do you guys adapt to this low carb diet?? Most foods that are filling actually have lots of carbs in them, i thought that switching from simple carbs to complex carbs would be helpful but in the end of the day it seems like what really counts is how much you consume, so what should I do?

Troy1982

Troy1982

Awards
The amount of carbs you consume is based on your diet i.e. cutting/bulking. Also it has a lot to do with how much you weigh. As far as 40 a day, there is no truth to that because it's different for everybody. When it comes to complex carbs I don't really count them unless I am cutting hard. Otherwise I just eat as much as I'd like. Simple carbs I definitely count and usually try to consume them only postworkout. When cutting carbs it can become difficult to feel full but I just try to suck it up I usually become used to it after about a week or so.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What convinced you that carbs are bad? A low carb diet is not a prerequesite for weight loss.

If you choose to restrict your carb intake then you are correct, it is more so an issue of how much you consume and not so much as to what you consume (within reason of course).

If rice is pivotal part of your diet then perhaps you should consider a moderate carb, calorie restricted diet instead.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Thanks guys!! Appreciate the responses.

Yeah I just wanted to restrict my carb intake for this fatloss program, I calculated that i need 1800 cals a day to lose weight, but i used to eat LOTS of carbs from various grains to keep me full, but now i think i should cut out at least half of them and substitute for other types of foods with fewer carbs.

Again, thank you for the help.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I am taking in right between 180g and 200g carbs a day right now all from brown rice and am losing weight good...

This is my 8th week in cut I am down from 260lbs at 26% to 240lbs at 20% in just those 8 weeks. My total daily calories varies but is between 1900 cals on rest day, 2100cals on normal days and 2250 cals on leg day, the only thing I am modulating is my carb intake to make up those different days as well.

Now once I get down around 12% I will start carb cycling to get much lower (aiming for 6-8% by week 20) but till then I say keep the carbs at a reasonable level and just kill the weights and hit some cardio if it isn't coming off as fast as you want.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would die if my carb intake hit 40... My average is around 500...

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
White rice and brown rice don't make a drastic difference.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
^^^^^^^^ He is right, they are both complex carbs and the difference in nutrition is honestly marginal. Both are considered a staple in a bulk, and IMO white rice tastes better and is easier to cook....

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
Well if it is one of your only fiber sources you will be glad you chose the brown rice when you aren't constipated ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well if it is one of your only fiber sources you will be glad you chose the brown rice when you aren't constipated ;)
There's maybe a gram difference per serving in fiber. Veggies should be added to this regardless of goal and that will take care of any constipation issues.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
Veggies what are those?

Potatoes
Nuts
Rice
Onions
Tomatoes
Peppers

That's about all the non meat items I consume lol
I haven't eaten salad in years, I'm just not one of those green eating machines.
Biggest rule of all is that if you don't enjoy a diet it will ALWAYS fail, so find substitutes that you do like

-James

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Veggies what are those?

Potatoes
Nuts
Rice
Onions
Tomatoes
Peppers

That's about all the non meat items I consume lol
I haven't eaten salad in years, I'm just not one of those green eating machines.
Biggest rule of all is that if you don't enjoy a diet it will ALWAYS fail, so find substitutes that you do like

-James
Ouch. You might want to consider amending this list.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LMAO, why this common misconception with rice color haha.... Just read the nutritional facts on both, brown rice is marginally more nutrient rich, which isnt enough to make me switch from my white rice. What matters is the grain; you want long grain rice.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Oh, i thought that since white rice had a higher GI then it was worse and i thought white rice was a source of simple carbs

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh, i thought that since white rice had a higher GI then it was worse and i thought white rice was a source of simple carbs
Simple carbs are sugars: glucose, sucrose, lactose, fructose, etc. and are found primarily in fruit, milk, and junk food. Just because a carb is simple does not necessarily mean it is bad.

Complex carbs are usually starches found in foods like grains, potato, yam, etc.

Judging carbs based on structure or complexity is somewhat old school. Fructose and lactose are simple sugars and are lower GI than most complex carbs.

The percentage difference in GI from brown to white rice is not going to amount to much if the portions are reasonable and when the rice is consumed with some fat and protein. There might be a difference if you compare a large serving of short grain white to long grain brown but that's hardly an optimum meal.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
White rice is a refined complex carb with a higher GI than brown rice.. I eat a lot of it because my body loves and utilizes carbs rather well...

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Simple carbs are sugars: glucose, sucrose, lactose, fructose, etc. and are found primarily in fruit, milk, and junk food. Just because a carb is simple does not necessarily mean it is bad.

Complex carbs are usually starches found in foods like grains, potato, yam, etc.

Judging carbs based on structure or complexity is somewhat old school. Fructose and lactose are simple sugars and are lower GI than most complex carbs.

The percentage difference in GI from brown to white rice is not going to amount to much if the portions are reasonable and when the rice is consumed with some fat and protein. There might be a difference if you compare a large serving of short grain white to long grain brown but that's hardly an optimum meal.
Precisely. Eat your carbs with protein and fat and you don't have to worry about GI although you do need to worry about portion size. Then again, I've never worried about GI to begin with.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
White rice is a refined complex carb with a higher GI than brown rice.. I eat a lot of it because my body loves and utilizes carbs rather well...
Theoretically white rice should raise blood sugar more, especially minute rice. If you are cutting I would suggest you limit high GI carbs, brown rice is not exactly low GI but will be better on your blood sugar then white rice

Refined carbs and potatoes are no good while cutting

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
GI is BS

unless we all ate 1 food type at a time

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Exactly!^^^ Protein and fat slow the absorption of carbs thus lowering GI. Do yourselves a favor and forget all about GI.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Unless your cutting HARD and are already low the real low carbs diet don't do much for me. I mean if i am on calorie restriction and doing my cardio i can still lose weight while taking in 150-200 carbs a day. However when my body fat starts getting lower and i'm trying to get into the single digits of bf% then i find low carb helps me alot

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23