how much dextrose pwo

orvise

Awards
ive been doing 1/2 cup dextrose after workouts and 60 g protien think
this is enough dextrose ?thanks

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
depends on your lean mass, your goals, cutting, bulking??? there is no set number

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats a half cup too much. Good lord are you trying to have a permanent tire around your midsection?

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ive been doing 1/2 cup dextrose after workouts and 60 g protien think
this is enough dextrose ?thanks
What's you bf%? I'v never heard anyone taking that much pwo.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
9%? Pretty good.
1 cup - 8oz, 1/2 cup 4oz ~ 100grams sugar.

I normally take 10g - 30g of malto/sugar.

orvise

Awards
i konw alot of people who take 75 or more grams of carbs pwo

SwoleCat

Awards
1/2 cup is 75 grams, yes. Dextrose does work great for many people, but as w/anything you have to experiment w/it. Bobo and I debated the use of dextrose like mad, and determined it's an individual thing. All my clients use it, and well, look at them! :D

~SC~

In-Human

Awards
125 grams of protein, 50 grams Dex, 10 grams Micro Creatine with 20 oz grape juice for my post shake. Also 2 bananas and 2 potatoes, 10 units Slin...

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
When bulking I use 4 TBSP with my shake. That equals aprox 30g.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
125 grams of protein, 50 grams Dex, 10 grams Micro Creatine with 20 oz grape juice for my post shake. Also 2 bananas and 2 potatoes, 10 units Slin...
even for a complete monster, i would say thats an excess of both protein and carbs bro. Im a leaner fella, taking in 50g carbs and 30-35g protein, w/ a follow up whole meal an hour after. (equal amount of carbs/protein approx)
Sage

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
IMO that's too much of everything especially with the added juice, bananas and taters. You're going to be pissing most of that protein and creatine away.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
1/2 cup is 75 grams, yes. Dextrose does work great for many people, but as w/anything you have to experiment w/it. Bobo and I debated the use of dextrose like mad, and determined it's an individual thing. All my clients use it, and well, look at them! :D

~SC~

And I am one of them.........I started in Jan. this year at 196lbs at 15.3% BF and for PWO I use around 85g of dextrose with my whey protein, and 11 weeks later I am at 185lbs and 9.5% BF, now tell me that taking in 85g of dextrose PWO doesn't work and makes you fat??? :rolleyes:

orvise

Awards
And I am one of them.........I started in Jan. this year at 196lbs at 15.3% BF and for PWO I use around 85g of dextrose with my whey protein, and 11 weeks later I am at 185lbs and 9.5% BF, now tell me that taking in 85g of dextrose PWO doesn't work and makes you fat??? :rolleyes:
thats great bro,what was your pwo before ?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
IMO that's too much of everything especially with the added juice, bananas and taters. You're going to be pissing most of that protein and creatine away.
also fructose pw isnt the ideal carb source. how long have you been using this mix and how has your results been?
Sage

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I take in 50gs of protein 80gs of dextrose and 5 gs of creatine post workout weather I'm bulking or cutting. Also when I'm using slin I actualy do it all over again 1 hour later. By the way I beleive your bodyweight probably plays a big role and this works great for me at 250lbs.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
It can "work" either way you do it (high GI carb or low), but all I have to say after over a year or two of reading low GI threads (usually with Bobo somewhere in there) is that I've done both ways and see absolutely no point in consuming that many carbs (especially high GI) post workout.

When I first started lifting around age 15, I didn't use carbs PW, just protein. Years later I started adding carbs PW, and about 2 years ago I dropped them. My results: no real benefit from PW carbs for me, and pointless amounts of sugars being ingested.

Last edited:

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
Either way, its working, and it works for me, I am human and I am getting alot stronger eating alot of pw carbs.

Dude you oughta see some of this guys lifts, he is working with DC and his motto is to get big you gotta eat big....all the time

Ibench800

Awards
Where can I get really really cheap malto and dextrose?

I used to take Biotest Surge...tastes amazing (insanely sweet), but its ungodly pricy. I mean $50 retail for 2LBs? You can get it for under $30, but thats still only 10 servings in that container. Now, I'm taking After Max by ON, at $22 or so dollars for 20 servings.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Now Foods product line carries corn sugar (dextrose). Some natural health food store will carry them. Many sites (1fast, vitaglo for example) carries the dextrose from Now Foods. If you're looking for a big bulk of malt or dextrose, supplementdirect has them. Shipping will get you though.
Sage

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
the dextrose i use is 21 grams/tbs (84 kcals) 1/2 cup=168 grams (672 kcals)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes, eventually it will. Science doens't lie but I guess you know more than they do. And if you actually took the time to read the arguement, BOTH work. Low GI has less of a chance of adipose storage and that is a fact. Its basic phyioslogy you can read in any 101 book. Look it up.

But if you want to keep wasting your money on bags of sugar, then go for it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

~SC~

Well I wouldn't say that. The health benefits of whole grains over high glycemic sugars are numerous. Both work but once has a greater chance of adipose storage and that can't be argued. Thats just basic physiology. If you can get away with it fine but most likley you won't be able to as natural insulin resistance sets in with age.

Training the majority of men under 25-30 is fairly easy as they can get away with much more.

Rock Lee

Awards
Isn't the taste of sugar in your PWO drink a lot easier to stomach though than grinded up oats?

SwoleCat

Awards
Amazingly I've many "older" gentlemen (few ladies too, a very good powerlifter as well) who are 40+ doing this, will no ill affects. Does it mean I'm right and you are wrong, or vice versa? No, not really, but it is quite interesting. (G4E is over the 25-30 age bracket, I won't mention his age, but he has no ill affects either)

I suppose I'm just lucky, and have acquired biz from only people with sterling insulin responses. :confused: I've told Bobo I'd look into experimenting w/a client, and that has begun already to one who volunteered to try it, so we'll see how this other method plays out. Definitely not going to change my protocol in the programs I construct, not with the success rate as such. However, for purposes of saying it was given a chance and tried as a method, I'll test it.

~SC~

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Swolecat I would make a case to why I'm right, but I'm on vacation about to hit the beach and eat all the junkfood I can find. ;)

I just wouldn't feel right telling people to eat correctly when I will have pizza in front of me! :D

SwoleCat

Awards
Hey, I hear ya bro. I leave for Vegas myself Thursday, and I can't wait! All this sodium-free crap for 3 days and droppin' water/carbin' up gets old REALLY fast.

I never realized how much I love sodium in general. Not even "salt" added to things, just foods w/sodium. Until you don't have it, you really don't think about it.

Have a blast! :)

~SC~

bigbrownbear

Awards
Amazingly I've many "older" gentlemen (few ladies too, a very good powerlifter as well) who are 40+ doing this, will no ill affects. Does it mean I'm right and you are wrong, or vice versa? No, not really, but it is quite interesting. (G4E is over the 25-30 age bracket, I won't mention his age, but he has no ill affects either)

I suppose I'm just lucky, and have acquired biz from only people with sterling insulin responses. :confused: I've told Bobo I'd look into experimenting w/a client, and that has begun already to one who volunteered to try it, so we'll see how this other method plays out. Definitely not going to change my protocol in the programs I construct, not with the success rate as such. However, for purposes of saying it was given a chance and tried as a method, I'll test it.

~SC~

I can you tell you now, that low gi carbs didnt work aswell for me as doing dextrose, and i was on swoles program - i tried low gi for 1 month and i noticed less growth and more fat storage. dextrose evertime for me, more growth and less fat storage

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
More fat storage with Low GI? Umm....yeah ok....

bigbrownbear

Awards
More fat storage with Low GI? Umm....yeah ok....

No BS - i read all your posts (quoting scientific studies) on why low gi was better than high gi - so i gave it a whirl. Oats and whey iso for 1 month 3-4 x week. Your argument is convincing, and I would have loved it to have worked 4 me, as i hate the sweetness of dextrose, and love oats, however it didnt work at all, it was worse than dex, and i did give it a good go. I know swolecat recommends dex and has most if not all his clients on it. It works so much better 4 me, even though i dont like it as much as oats.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats just really strange but it basically breaks the rules of physiology. Now I know the old saying "what works for you might not work for me" but this doesn't apply in this case because everything about oats would cause less fat stoage. The fact that the fiber content in itself would cause less fat storage and the glucose response and its effect on HSL is much less are just two examples of why its almost impossible to gain more fat using a low GI source rather than a high GI source. It has to be something else because it just doesn't make any sense at all. Its like saying I can burn stored fat while eating well above maintenance. It just can't happen.

bigbrownbear

Awards
Sorry bro - but i got my nutrition/training dialed in, with swoles help, and the oats didnt work - My gains are so much better with dex.

SwoleCat

Awards
Studies are studies, and those are great. Real world application is different however, and you must go w/what works. You can study and tear apart **** all day, but at the end of that day it comes down to what actually works.

~SC~

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I agree wholeheartedly, I never made any real gains till I worked with Swolecat, he totally changed the way I ate, and the main difference was my two HIGH carb PWO meals and yes they are high GI, real world results is what I am after not some study. Studies don't make me grow, but Swolecats knowledge did.

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Studies are studies, but physioliogy is physiology and that doesn't change for anyone. If you eat over maintenance you get fat. Its basic physiology and the "real world" vs. "studies" arguement doens't apply. Basically what he is saying is that he a genetic mutant and he is above the natural laws of physiology. If he used the same amount of grams of Dextrose and Oatmeal then is it impossible for him to get fatter. I simply don't trust someone who had zero posts then all of a sudden posts that it didn't work and claims oats made him fatter. Its ridiculous. If you had your diet and training dialed in then you wouldn't need the switch and if I remember correctly Swolecat said he never recommended to anyone to try this option so something isn't right.

I'm tired of hearing these people bring up the "real application". Studies are the real world and its in a must better controlled setting than anyone on these boards can duplicate. If it works for you, there is a scientific reason for it and its not some magic beans your eating or some magic formula that SC or I is giving you. Ignoring the scientific application because you simple do not understand or don't want to understand is your problem but those arguements don't fly here. We want scientific explanationns and reasons WHY things work. If I wanted to hear every Joe Blow give me a testimonial on what works I would go to Elite or AF and be using Cell-Tech to get HYOOOOGE.

And it does work. If you haven't read there are several people just in this thread that have better results. If it didn't work for you fine, but don't come on here claiming it made you fatter because thats impossible unless you consumed 10 cups of oatmeal and went above your caloric maintenance.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree wholeheartedly, I never made any real gains till I worked with Swolecat, he totally changed the way I ate, and the main difference was my two HIGH carb PWO meals and yes they are high GI, real world results is what I am after not some bullshit study. Studies don't make me grow, but Swolecats knowledge did.

:rolleyes:

Right.

Bullshit study? Don't bitch about what you don't understand. Just because you lack the time and effort to understand whats going doesn't mean its bullshit.

Sorry, we don't perpetuate the meathead mentality here.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree wholeheartedly, I never made any real gains till I worked with Swolecat, he totally changed the way I ate, and the main difference was my two HIGH carb PWO meals and yes they are high GI, real world results is what I am after not some bullshit study. Studies don't make me grow, but Swolecats knowledge did.
Never made any real gains? Yeah I'm sure it was only the High GI that made the difference.

Totally changed the way you eat yet the main difference was High GI?

Can you get anymore biased with his site in your sig?

Either debate me on the issue with facts, or don't post. I don't want to hear "it worked for me and Swolecat did it all". Sorry, that doesn't float here.

It just sounds like you didn't have a clue how to eat.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I'm not here to argue, I am just stating what worked for me, I doesn't matter what works for others, only what works for me. As far as my sig, why is it biased? gotswole.com is my home, I am a long time vet there, and I don't see why that is being biased?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats fine that it works for you. I never said it wouldn't and even agreed with SC that if you can get away with using High GI, then by all means use it. BUt its also unhealthy in the long run. But when someone comes on here saying studies are bullshit, they don't help you grow, and SwoleCats knowledge is what counts, then I have a problem with it. Everything you eat, use for supplements or inject is based on science. They are backed up by STUDIES, not some hidden secrets only a few select people know. The other user said Oatmeal made him fat and its just almost impossible unless he's eating the amount a horse would. Its like me telling you I don't need protein to grow. Its just physically impossible. There are physiological rules that apply to everyone and not just a select few. The only way you can break them is by using enhancing agents that allow you to break genetic limits. Other than that, its impossible.

If take the same amount of dextrose and replace it with the same amount of oatmeal, you can't get fat. Its impossible. Every effect oatmeal has on the body would make the chances less. The fiber alone would do this.

As for being biased you clearly are choosing to keep a closed mind and dismissing what "science" has to say simply by stating Swolecats knowledge is the key. Well just take a look at what SwoleCat recommends. Its based on science. Learn to live with it and understand it before you dismiss it.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
in regards to getting maltodextrin cheap, try a brewing supply store.

they sell maltodextrin for brewing stuff. they also call it "corn sugar".

cheap.

another good place for cheap nutritional supplies are tack stores (stores that cater to horse owners).

although i have never seen maltodextrin at my local tack store.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
in regards to getting maltodextrin cheap, try a brewing supply store.

they sell maltodextrin for brewing stuff. they also call it "corn sugar".

cheap.

another good place for cheap nutritional supplies are tack stores (stores that cater to horse owners).

although i have never seen maltodextrin at my local tack store.
Actually, corn sugar is dextrose. You should be able to find both maltodextrin & dextrose at any brewing supply place though.

homebrewheaven.com has two 5lb bags (10lbs total) of dextrose for $7.50. Thats less than half the cost of blackstar labs. There's also a 50lb bag for $29.

SwoleCat

Awards
Goes4, don't get into an argument here bro, not worth it. U know what I look like, we've seen you gain 25 lbs. of LEAN mass in 1 year while dropping bodyfat as well, but I guess we're not qualified to comment. I don't see pics of anyone else preachin' what they set in motion to "show what you know", but then again when you have science, you don't need pics. :rolleyes:

Really, **** the studies gentleman.......let's see some pictures that showcase your physique built from the methods you personally recommend/employ. Not directed at Bobo per-se, but to anyone who attempts to de-bunk what obviously works!

As per a very intelligent trainer on this subject:

"Science versus Practice. Science will tell you things shouldn't work but they do in Practice. Just because a study says blah...blah...doesn't mean **** unless the context is the EXACT same.

Let me bust your ear here. Arguments from analogy, which is what studies are, fail when the context differs in the slightest. Scientific studies on rats, diabetics, etc...all change the context and substantially weaken the analogy. Thus, you should rely upon practice and what works first and then studies for justification.

Argue the science all you want. Results speak for themselves."

I'm done here anyhow, nothing going on here but negativity and I hate that ****, it's catabolic. :) To each his own, forever and ever, peace and goodnight!

~SC~

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My pics are posted and I'm currently 242 at around 8% so you can take you allegations of people not practicing what they preach and take it elswhere. BTW, I've been doing half as long as you have too so take that for what its worth. You can spout all you want about "**** studies" but its trully ironic when someone like yourself who is supposed to be fairly knowledable in the area of nutrition doesn't even understand basic rules of physiology. Are you formally educated in this area?

You seem to be forgetting that the studies posted were done on resistance trained athletes so your analogy of using rat studies is moot. ALso you better throw away 99% of the anabolics you use because they are supported by RAT ASSAYS, or did you not know that? Its very simple, the ones that don't understand, criticize them and continue to remain ignorant of that facts.

Next time don't PM me either asking what you should use post workout in the Low GI department. Seems funny you bash it yet privately asked me what to use. If you want to bash the members here for taking a scietific stance rather than your word just because you've "trained" people then you take it right out the door.

BTW- I have a competitor that I'm training and he is competiing on April 14th so I will gladly post pics up of him when he wins. So sorry SC, I actually do practive what I preach but realize there is no substiute for time therefore don't ask people to post pics to prove their worth. The meathead mentality doesn't fly around here.....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As per a very intelligent trainer on this subject:

"Science versus Practice. Science will tell you things shouldn't work but they do in Practice. Just because a study says blah...blah...doesn't mean **** unless the context is the EXACT same.

~SC~
Wrong again.

Theory will assume things work or don't work, science explains it either way. When things work there is a scientific explanation whether you understnad it or not. There is a difference between "theory" and "science". At least understand what your talking about before you post.

Context the same? You don't make sense again.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm done here anyhow, nothing going on here but negativity and I hate that ****, it's catabolic.
~SC~
I didn't know negativity equated to members asking you to explain yourself and not blindly accepting what you say. If thats what you want, don't let the door hit you on the way out....