how much dextrose pwo

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. Most people on this board are here to learn, and if people have different opinions, that's cool, but we've all got to be open minded......hence why i tried the low gi carbs post workout. So give me some credit for trying it out - Also i didnt piss about and change anything else in my diet, i used the same amount of carbs from oats instead of dextrose - my results in one month was less muscle growth and more fat storage - so i switched back - i became leaner, fuller, and started adding lean mass quicker. Also my training and lifestyle was very stable through out.

Physiology is physiology and my results with low gi compared to high gi were worse - remember everything was the same except oats for dex?

Heres the latest article i read recently that gave me more insight into pwo nutrition

http://abcbodybuilding.com/magazine04/scientific.htm

2. Very disappointing thread. Two opinions that I respect on this board fighting it out like this was a certain other board that we all know. I remember the thread where you both had an awesome debate over this and to jack all of that up with this nonsense is disappointing indeed.
    •   

3. Don't sit here and lecture me how to conduct myself here. There wasn't a debate at all. There was me giving you scientific explanations behind why my way would work, then the other side saying "it works for me so it must be right". Oh and I forgot the famous "I'm big so I know whats best" arguement. Two classic points of view when one side can't back up what they say with any sort of literature. Lets not forget the credible "**** studies, they are bull****" position. That brought an air of distinction here all itself. If people want to debate me then buck up and show me why. Jesus do I have to provide you with the literature that will help their argument? Its ridiculous.

Testimonials mean nothing to me. Its just another guy telling me what worked for them without knowing how it worked. A lot of good that does.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bigbrownbear

Heres the latest article i read recently that gave me more insight into pwo nutrition

http://abcbodybuilding.com/magazine04/scientific.htm

He's wrong on several issues. He needs to update his references as they are outdated. How can that be the latest article when he doesn't even include the latest Jentjens R, Jeukendrup A, Ivy JL, Kuo CH, or Barrett EJ studies?! Half the ones he references are from the 1980's! The closest one he has was Ivy 2002 in which it was concluded that the addition of a carbohydrate to a protein increased protein synthesis. What a revelation. This article is highly outdated and is what Supp companies use to push their products.

By Adam “Old School” Knowlden? His name fits well.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bigbrownbear

Physiology is physiology and my results with low gi compared to high gi were worse - remember everything was the same except oats for dex?
    Thats if I believed you, which I don't. All of a sudden trainee's of SC come to his defense. Coincidence? I think not. It was the same when DC didn't have a clue either.
    •   

6. If I didn't see these:

"Really, **** the studies gentleman......."

"real world results is what I am after not some bull**** study. Studies don't make me grow, but Swolecats knowledge did."

"I'm done here anyhow, nothing going on here but negativity"

"Yeah, you guys are great w/the flames!"

........then I wouldn't have a problem and would discuss the scientific aspect for as long as you want. But when your dealing with people that even refuse to look at the evidence at hand and just blindly accept what someone else says, then your going to have a problem here. Its a simple theme, back up what you say.

So far, nobody on the other side has attempted. Hell, here's a hint, Tipton.

7. DAMN!

You guys take a BUNCH of carbs!

For 4 months I've been putting 20 grams dextrose (and 2 R-ALA) in my PWO whey shake with excellent results. If I took 85 grams I would roll around.

In all honesty SOMETIMES I will take 20-30 pre & during wo as well but only if I'm tired or feel I need glycogen.

8. If you take 20-30 pre-workout, then there really is no reason to take it 20-30+ grams of high GI post workout w/ ALA. First catabolism and glyocgen depletion is barely a factor. This will cause 2 things to happen in the long run. With ALA you will increase storage of excess glucose since ALA also increase GLUT4 permeability in fat cells and circulating glucose will have an increased chance of being stored rather than used in glycogen resynthesis (as all circulating glucose does not get used by the exercised muscle). As I've said before High GI pre-workout is fine since you will basically use available glucose for fuel (but you should have a smaller amount mixed with some slower digestion carb source to prevent a crash) but for post workout its not necessary especially if you take it pre-workout. I'm glad you have had good results but they can ALWAYS be better.

If your eating properly there is no need for you to feel you "need glyocgen". Depletion take many, many hours, sometimes days (think getting into ketosis) so people caliming you are depleting glyocgen stores with a simple 1 hour workout are highly mistaken. Just some food for thought....

9. bobo,then what do you suggest pre work out and post work out????

10. You could easily do 10-15g of dextrose w/ whey with some fruit for pre-workout. Post workout, anything from a shake with just milk (skim preferably) or some oatmeal or any low GI source. The choice is yours post workout.

11. Even better would be to drink half before and half during your workout. Of course the fruit stays before. It just depends on how detailed you want to get.

12. Bobo- What about someone that uses low gi pre and post workout? Do you see this causing a problem with glycogen stores and over saturating them? From your research would high gi be a better choice for pre workout?

13. Nope, no problem at all although you might want to consume it 45 minutes to an hour before, not 15-30 minutes. With High GI pre-workout, you simply might be able to get away with it as you do have an activity following. You just don't want to take too much because then you just crash in the middle of your workout. Thats why a small amount with some fruit would be ok.

I tihnk overall if your dieting properly, the need for high GI carbs pre wokrout isn't necessary because you should have ample amounts of energy anyway. But if you do use it, this would be the best time to use withouth risking adverse effects.

14. Excellent thanks! That is what I have been doing for almost a year now.
    Last edited by NPursuit; 04-01-2004 at 12:10 PM.

15. shoot bobo, this goes aginst the grain,most people say do it the other way
    but it does make alot of sense what your are saying,im going to try it

16. many say to have a 2:1 ratio of dextrose to protein.....personally i find this a bit much. It all boils down to what your goals are..trial and error. i believe a simple sugar is necessary post workout with your shake. Then about an hour after shake you wanna get some good protein and a low gi carb into the body to further promote gains

17. Quote Originally Posted by massmongler
    i believe a simple sugar is necessary post workout with your shake.

Why?

18. I thought drinking dextrose was good with your post workout shake to trigger an insulin response. So that in turn would help your muscle absorb more of the protein

19. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Why?
    dextrose will trigger a better insulin response thus allowing more protein to get to the muscles at a faster rate then withut a simple sugar

20. Quote Originally Posted by massmongler
    dextrose will trigger a better insulin response thus allowing more protein to get to the muscles at a faster rate then withut a simple sugar
    LOL, bro thats what this whole thread is about; that is proving its unecessary....to each his own, but try to keep an open mind.

21. Quote Originally Posted by massmongler

I suggest you re-read the thread and the literature on the issue.

22. ooops, i never took the time to read the thread....but i will continue with dextrose. works for me

23. Then you missed the point yet again.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Then you missed the point yet again.
    Sigh!

25. orvise, check your pm's bro!

26. bro i did its empty

27. Bobo, Its too bad when you are wrong, its tough huh.

I like the no post so he knows nothing.

Did you come from BB.com, you seem yo have the "god syndrome" like most mods think they are.

Now I know why people don't come to this board.

I guess I can't post any more, I don't have that many posts and my 25 years of lifting means nothing compared to studies.

Enjoy, someone has to listen to what you say...

28. Quote Originally Posted by In-Human
    Bobo, Its too bad when you are wrong, its tough huh.

I like the no post so he knows nothing.

Did you come from BB.com, you seem yo have the "god syndrome" like most mods think they are.

Now I know why people don't come to this board.

I guess I can't post any more, I don't have that many posts and my 25 years of lifting means nothing compared to studies.

Enjoy, someone has to listen to what you say...

Jealousy is a bitch isn't it.

If you have lifted for 25 years then show us that godlike frame of yours Mr. Know-it-All.

If you have SOOOOOOOOO much experience I guess science doesn't have anything on you right? Yeah we should just do what everyone was doing 25 years ago and call it a day right?

Take your meathead mentaility somewhere else because obvisouly you can't even carry on a scientific debate. You have to turn to the "i know what works because I'm old" syndrome. Thank god this board and its members have evolved past your ancient and ignorant ways.

People don't come to this board? I'll pass that along to 600+ active members that visisited today and 7k overall members. Thats about where we want to be. We don't want to be large like bb.com. We would attract more people like you who can't carry on a scientific debate and have to reort to Flex magazine for their advice.

I bet you grunt when you speak.

29. Quote Originally Posted by In-Human

I wish you would post more. It would be fun ripping you a new one.

You shouldn't be so intimidated by people that can actually interpret a study. If you need help you can contact me anytime. I'm sure we can "sound" through it.

30. I use wild boar blood. It is high in IGF1. Also helps rebalance my salts lost during the workout.
    Last edited by size; 04-02-2004 at 04:00 PM.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How much?
    By Berserkfury69 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 06:56 AM
  2. figuring out how much is left in a bottle
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 11:09 AM
  3. How much protien is too much at one time!!!
    By curt2go in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 06:56 PM
  4. How much do you spend
    By Patuba in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
  5. How much 4AD
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 03:14 PM