Are These Bad Habits Nutrition for cutting?

AlmostRipped

Awards
Working hard to get cut, I have a few bad habits that I assume are not affecting me, we all know what happens when we assume, so I figured I would post it and get some feedback...

Monster low carb energy drinks-I probably drink 4 of these a week, sometimes 6 or even 8... 3 grams of carbs per serving, but the second ingredient listed on the label after carbonated water is glucose...???? Is this hurting me when it comes to trying to shed my fat and maintain muscle?

lowfat/non fat dairy--times you should have it, times you shouldn't...and milk...does milk (skim) have any negative effects in moderation when included my daily caloric intake?

Cigerettes-yeah this will surprise you, I don't care about the obvious here people, tell me how cigerettes can negatively affect me trying to shed pounds....please steer clear of the obvious lung damage.

Non fat yogurt...HCFS in this....is high fructose corn syrup ever OK to be eating when trying to cut? If so whats the best time to eat these?

Thanks

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Milk is pretty low glycemic, not really something you have to worry about if you are drinking it at breakfast or post workout.

Low carb Monsters aren't that big of a deal. They aren't going to help you with fat loss, but in moderation they should be fine.

Drop the sugar filled yogurt and buy plain yogurt. Add Stevia and fruit for sweetening it. This will be a lot healthier.

I don't know about cigarettes. :dunno: They will suppress your appetite, but they aren't good for you.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
when you quit smoking, you'll gain some weight for sure, but there's a link between cigarettes and nitrogen retention, as well as between nitrogen retention and protein synthesis. in the long run, quitting smoking will help your body have a better nitrogen balance (pump), and better protein synthesis (building muscle).

AlmostRipped

Awards
THANKS GUYS AWESOME INFORMATION!! Plain yogurt, easy enough, thank you for that smoking information, I didn't know that it had a negative effect on protein synthesis, of all things....that's pretty important...lol....I'll put this stuff into action...

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
All that fat free stuff is loaded with sugar. It's leftover misinformation from the 80s that fat makes you fat. Lose the sugary stuff.

AlmostRipped

Awards
Only going to be eating the sugary yogurt on the beginning of carb load days (starting ultimate diet two on Wednesday). I am quitting smoking on Wednesday too, wish me luck, this is lucky number 8 quitting. I have to do it, as it is slowing me down from reaching my goals. Thanks for the info again all!

Coachese

Coachese

Awards
when you quit smoking, you'll gain some weight for sure, but there's a link between cigarettes and nitrogen retention, as well as between nitrogen retention and protein synthesis. .
As a former long-time smoker, I can also first hand tell you that the oral fixation of smoking is a MAJOR culprit in fat gain when quitting. Just putting ANY food into your mouth 20+ times per day instead of a cigarette is likely unwanted calories - much less if the food is calorie and fat laden!

AlmostRipped

Awards
Did I mention I quit 8 times? This time I have a reason, I know what I am up against, its not gonna be easy, but it is goingto be good for me, plus I'll be able to f*ck for hours and not lose my damn breathe! I am in good enough shape and do bucket pouring cardio at a ridiculous pace that would put alot of people in the hospital, iit just hurts my lungs BAD. If I am going to be in my best shape and reach the summit of the physical mountain I have to quit, might as well do it while I'm still young and live until I'm 114 =).

l0ck

Awards
whatever works for you just stick with it. if your losing weight, your on the right track..

that's not to say that you won't eventually fall off track.. it happens..

what you need to do eventually reveals itself as we continue through our journey of bodybuilding.. you are constantly trying to perfect different areas of your lifestyle, and your training, and your diet, ect, and you change, gains are good, but something happens.. and you arrive at plateau of some sort .. and eventually the obstacles just grow apparent to you.. you are at the point where in order to continue and step on through, you have to quit smoking.. you have to.. it's a matter of personal safety of course.. but in order to progress through this, and move forward, you gotta over come that obstacle..

or not..

you eventually hit that wall, and you'll know exactly what you need to change in order to move forward.. simply because you have already tried changing everything else.. there's no other variables to toggle and nothing else left to change.. and slowly there's just one thing left staring you in the face, between you and your goal, is that obstacle, was there the whole time, you knew it too, and you knew this day would come..

and the next one.. and the next one..

it's like a maze, that constantly changes shape, and every time you work your way through the puzzle and find the exit, and step through, you just step into another maze.. but the obstacles never fail to make themselves apparent the whole time..

and not just with smoking either.. there is always something in the way..

those monster drinks will ruin your diet.. if the maltodextrin(GI=105) hasn't become a obstacle to you yet.. it will.. you will have to drop those eventually too

Keep on keepin on

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whatever works for you just stick with it. if your losing weight, your on the right track..

that's not to say that you won't eventually fall off track.. it happens..

what you need to do eventually reveals itself as we continue through our journey of bodybuilding.. you are constantly trying to perfect different areas of your lifestyle, and your training, and your diet, ect, and you change, gains are good, but something happens.. and you arrive at plateau of some sort .. and eventually the obstacles just grow apparent to you.. you are at the point where in order to continue and step on through, you have to quit smoking.. you have to.. it's a matter of personal safety of course.. but in order to progress through this, and move forward, you gotta over come that obstacle..

or not..

you eventually hit that wall, and you'll know exactly what you need to change in order to move forward.. simply because you have already tried changing everything else.. there's no other variables to toggle and nothing else left to change.. and slowly there's just one thing left staring you in the face, between you and your goal, is that obstacle, was there the whole time, you knew it too, and you knew this day would come..

and the next one.. and the next one..

it's like a maze, that constantly changes shape, and every time you work your way through the puzzle and find the exit, and step through, you just step into another maze.. but the obstacles never fail to make themselves apparent the whole time..

and not just with smoking either.. there is always something in the way..

those monster drinks will ruin your diet.. if the maltodextrin(GI=105) hasn't become a obstacle to you yet.. it will.. you will have to drop those eventually too

Keep on keepin on
There's a whopping 6g of carbs in a low-carb monster (9g for the big one).

One thing I highly recommend is Greek yogurt.

AlmostRipped

Awards
**** I didn't even think about that, I know that maltodextrin is the second ingredient, didn't think about th GL involved even with the few carbs and sugar. Good look on that lOck..thanks again everyone.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
**** I didn't even think about that, I know that maltodextrin is the second ingredient, didn't think about th GL involved even with the few carbs and sugar. Good look on that lOck..thanks again everyone.
Malto is the second to last ingredient. The amount is very, very tiny. Like <1.7mg.

AlmostRipped

Awards
...But what we also discovered is that where they list the ingredients they have something called the "energy blend" and the 2nd item is GLUCOSE! If we calculated this all correctly, there is over 2000mg of glucose in each can! Now if you know anything about diabetes, the last thing a diabetic needs to be drinking is glucose! Why is there no warning for this? How could a beverage loaded with glucose be considered low carb and low calorie? Not a doctor and not a scientist, but this seems just stupid to me!"

This is a post from a website (I cannot post links yet dont have 50 posts) more importantly than maltodextrin is the above.

--I was using my "almost photographic memory" it wasn't maltodextrin that I was concerned with when I looked that the can the other day, it is the Glucose (listed as the second ingredient)....That is why the GL is so high.

I just started ultimate diet two, so my favorite energy drink can still have a place in my heart to insert on carb load days! Probably not a good idea on my low carb/low cal days since glucose depletion is the goal, an extra 2000mg probably not a good idea.

P.S isn't glucose the molecular chain that makes up table sugar? And if that is the case, how can there only be 3g of sugar (per serving) in these low carb monsters? Very interested in the answer to that.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you really think that 3g of glucose is going to have a significant effect, then you have some more reading to do. 3g of any carb has a whopping 12, yes 12, kcals. That's maybe 1 hard minute on a treadmill.

AlmostRipped

Awards
Thank you, I realized that after I posted this what a butt head I sounded like =)...today was carb load day, I had a regular monster after my workout, if I drink one of those on a low carb day then were talking some serious treadmill work...Thanks for pointing that out Rodja.