sweet smelling urine...normal?

hkskyy

Awards
I am pretty new to dieting and supplements. It has been ten years since I stopped working out. I was a boxer/kickboxer up to my college days. After spending all my time working on my career that last ten years, I am finally at a position where I have time to take care of my body.

First, I am wondering if this is normal. I have been on low carb diet for a couple of weeks. A really close friend got married this previous weekend that I had to attend. My diet was shattered Saturday and Sunday. I drank quite a few beers and cognac. Plus, I was quite buzzed most of the time, so I did not really watch what I was eating. I think I consumed a lot of simple sugars and carbs. The problem I have is my urine smells sweet or fruity. This happened Sunday night and this morning. I am thinking that maybe my body have switch over to burning fat instead of carbs, so I am urinating the glucose out.

Second, I am wanting to get back into boxing and kickboxing. My bf is 26%. My workout is 1.5 hrs per day jumping, punching and kicking. Maybe some light weights, but nothing weight intensive. I was never on a diet or anything back in my younger days. My calorie intake is 1600 per day. I am down to 205. Lost 5lbs since a week ago that I started to workout.

My question is if Sustain from PP will help me quick start my plan. I noticed that it is not hormonal, which is what I am looking for. Is Sustain plus Toco8 a good stack to get me there sooner? My muscle development will come from my kickboxing training. Weight lifting will not be a factor. I am 32 years old without any illness. I believe I have normal hormonal levels for my age. So will Sustain elevate that?

I want to be around 175 with 12% bf. That was my stat in college. I do not think I will be competing in kickboxing anymore, but I just want to be back in shape. Any advice is welcomed. If there is a better supplement suited for my goal, please let me know.

Thanks

elabor

elabor

Awards
If you are still having this problem, you should get your blood sugar levels checked. Sweet smelling urine is often a symptom of diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Since you are going low-carb, the "sweet smell' is a good indicator that you are in ketosis. The smell is coming from the ketones that are being exceted in you urine.

Here are my thoughts on the situation. While alcohol is in your system, your liver will switch from supplying your body with glycogen and focus on the metabolism of the alcohol. This can lead to low blood glucose levels in the body. The carbs that you consumed were most likely metabolized fairly quickly since you are both extremely insulin sensitive and have been eating a severly calorie restricted diet. Thus, considering the amount of alcohol that you consumed, it is likely that your liver was still attending to the alcohol long after the carbs were digested resulting in very low blood glucose levels. This would explain your body's state of ketosis after returned to the calorie and carb restricted diet.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how does it taste?

/seriously, what Rhyno said.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Just because I feel obligated.

Have you noticed any increasing thirst or appetite recently? Have you noticed an increase in urination?

Has the smell continued, or abated?

hkskyy

Awards
It went away after a couple of days. I just urinate more often now, mostly because I am drinking so much more water.

I drink about 4 liters of water a day because everyone recommends that amount. Plus, working out makes me thirsty. I do feel thirsty now if I do not drink water often. I am hungry every 2 hours. I am assuming it is because I eat 3 small meals a day with a snack of plain almonds or fruits between the meals. I used to eat 2 LARGE meals.

This is an awesome site. I am making very good progress thanks to wealth of information and advice in this forum. I will post my results at the end of April. That would be 8 weeks.

Thanks to everyone!!

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
how does it taste?

/seriously, what Rhyno said.
MAN!!! i saw this thread and was totally gonna go there dsade....you beat me to it.....Damnit!....but for reals....what rhyno said...

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
MAN!!! i saw this thread and was totally gonna go there dsade....you beat me to it.....Damnit!....but for reals....what rhyno said...
2nd post I saw today of you getting beat to the punch. Losing your touch eh? :bigeyes:

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
like said before, sweet fruity smell could indicate ketones....

but if it smells like maple syrup and is of that color (medium brown), then that's a whole different story and you need to see your doctor asap. I can't remember the name from the top of my head but i know it's quite chronic but curable through medication.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
like said before, sweet fruity smell could indicate ketones....

but if it smells like maple syrup and is of that color (medium brown), then that's a whole different story and you need to see your doctor asap. I can't remember the name from the top of my head but i know it's quite chronic but curable through medication.
Maple syrup urine disease. Could be that, could be diabetes. Either way, you should get it checked out at the doctor. I was on the velocity diet for 28 days and never had sweet smelling urine. Especially if you're consuming a ton of water, I would probably rule out ketones because they are likely too diluted. You're also at a borderline bf for diabetes. Also, diabetes could cause an increase in ketones too because the body can't use the circulating glucose for fuel even if it wanted to. Bottom line is, go get it checked out, for your health and safety. Good luck.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Maple syrup urine disease. Could be that, could be diabetes. Either way, you should get it checked out at the doctor. I was on the velocity diet for 28 days and never had sweet smelling urine. Especially if you're consuming a ton of water, I would probably rule out ketones because they are likely too diluted. You're also at a borderline bf for diabetes. Also, diabetes could cause an increase in ketones too because the body can't use the circulating glucose for fuel even if it wanted to. Bottom line is, go get it checked out, for your health and safety. Good luck.
Doubtful on MSUD, thats a pretty nasty condition that is quite rare and shows up in infancy/childhood.

Ketones should give an acetone-like smell, which some describe as sweet. However, I agree with WRBB here.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Yeah after I hit post I realized that its a genetic disorder that's usually evident in newborns. Probably not MSUD.

DarkDragon

Awards
It could be Diabetic ketoacidoisis, get a blood sugar checker and see what it is throughout the day, anywhere around 100mg/dl is normal, it will be higher after you eat also, so keep that in mind.