Best way to keep muscle while burning fat?

LiLShAnK357

Awards
Whats the best way when you have stored fat? I have heard it all. Im currently power repping starting off at sets of 10 on everything then doing the pyramid effect of 8,6,4. Im doing that on usually everything i do. I am doing 10 mins on the bike followed by 30-35 mins of cardio on the treadmil walking at 15.0 incline at 3.0 - 3.5 ( i increase it every few mins)

I want to get shredded but still keep my musclar look. I eat pretty clean lots of meats and protein shakes, oatmeal,protein bars, etc.

My chest can't handle yohimbie so that rules out most HC burners. What you all think>?

Props

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try a cutting diet. Look in this forum section for the CKD diet and read about it.
Thats what most everyone here seems to use. You're also doing a ton of cardio, do you do that all at one time?

EDIT: oh and I am taking leviathan and dcp, and youll get better help here if you post a meal schedule too. Usually sometimes fat loss from what ive read around the forum can be more diet
related.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I can't say from experience, but from what I have read around the forum, the toss up is between LR\DCP or Recreate. I actually ran across a thread that had Reduction giving the results you are seeking.

LiLShAnK357

Awards
Try a cutting diet. Look in this forum section for the CKD diet and read about it.
Thats what most everyone here seems to use. You're also doing a ton of cardio, do you do that all at one time?

EDIT: oh and I am taking leviathan and dcp, and youll get better help here if you post a meal schedule too. Usually sometimes fat loss from what ive read around the forum can be more diet
related.
I stick to the same routine every week, might change up chest from monday to wednesday or something liek that but, i usually always do atleast 30 mins of cardio 4 times a week sometimes 5

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I stick to the same routine every week, might change up chest from monday to wednesday or something liek that but, i usually always do atleast 30 mins of cardio 4 times a week sometimes 5

nvm my post, I read yours wrong. I understood 10 min of bike, plus 30 minutes of cardio, plus 30 min of walking.

what you're doing is good. Make sure you drink BCAA's before you run and after and maybe even during, they help with muscle loss and rebuilding.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could look into plyometric circuit training.

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
To minimize muscle loss:

1) Keep lifting heavy in the gym. The backbone of your cutting routine should be weight lifting, not cardio. Only after lifting is in check should you add in cardio, as needed, according to your recovery capacity.

2) Maintain a high protein intake. Experts like Lyle McDonald recommend 1.4-1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight per day for someone in your situation. Whey is great for around training, but slower digesting, anti-catabolic proteins (e.g. casein, whole foods) or a mix of slow and fast proteins (e.g. skim milk, milk protein isolate) would probably be better at any other time.

3) Take supplements that have been shown to exert an anabolic/anti-catabolic effect in human research. Ephedrine+caffeine is a good example.

4) Don't cut calories too drastically. This is a good article on where to set calories, based on how much fat you have to lose:

Hope that helps,
Conciliator

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey, I have read that Cardio for 20-25 min at 60-70% of your theoretical max minus your age is the zone to be in.
ie: If your 20 it would be 220-20= 200BPM. so the 60-70% range of that would mean keeping your heart beat between 120 and 140 BPM.

I have had top results in past this way, though I am certainly no authority on the subject.:approve:

ILiftBig

Awards
Whats the best way when you have stored fat? I have heard it all. Im currently power repping starting off at sets of 10 on everything then doing the pyramid effect of 8,6,4. Im doing that on usually everything i do. I am doing 10 mins on the bike followed by 30-35 mins of cardio on the treadmil walking at 15.0 incline at 3.0 - 3.5 ( i increase it every few mins)

I want to get shredded but still keep my musclar look. I eat pretty clean lots of meats and protein shakes, oatmeal,protein bars, etc.

My chest can't handle yohimbie so that rules out most HC burners. What you all think>?

Props
One thing that you might consider is dropping all of the aerobic work and switch to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This method has been found to preserve muscle mass more and be much more effective for burning fat for a longer time period.

Here is another idea:

1: J Med Food. 2008 Dec;11(4):606-9. Links

Leucine for retention of lean mass on a hypocaloric diet.

Jitomir J, Willoughby DS.
Exercise and Biochemical Nutrition Laboratory, Department of Health, Human Performance, Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, Texas 76798-7313, USA.

As obesity rates continue to climb, there is a pressing need for novel weight loss techniques. However, the energy-restricted diets recommended for weight loss typically result in significant amounts of lean tissue loss, in addition to the desired body fat loss. Leucine, a supported anticatabolic agent, has shown promise in research at many levels. First, leucine is known to stimulate the mammalian target of rapamycin pathway, which initiates translation and protein synthesis in muscle cells. Furthermore, leucine may help to regulate blood glucose levels by promoting gluconeogenesis. Finally, several recent studies provide evidence that leucine aids in the retention of lean mass in a hypocaloric state. The aim of this paper is to review relevant leucine research in the three areas described and assess its potential as supplement for obese individuals.