Ok what Am I doing wrong?!?!?

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
So I have been working out for about 4-5 years and workout 4-5 days a week. But for that time I have just started to really check into my food and diet. But I just cannot lose any of the weight, no matter what I do!! I have used fat burners, pills, and I think anything else. I get about 1700 to 2000 Kals. a day keep fat at about 50 to 70 grams and 150+ grams of protein. What I'm I doing wrong!!! I'm not sure what my body fat contein is but I will check tonight at the gym. I really could use some help I jus want to have a better style of life and well I do want to look better. I think my workout could be better and my cardio is around 15 mins for every workout, at the end of the workout. I really would love so help, I'm at my wites end, HELP!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm also starting to do the diet tracker to help me.)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you're eating the wrong type of food? Unless 50 - 70g of fat are in the "healthy fat" portion it may be too much if you're not hitting the gym hard.

How about you post a split of what your daily intakes look like?

Just some random things to get started:
- You need about 6 meals a day, 2 hours apart each or somewhat like that, to keep your metabolism high.
- Don't be afraid to work out. Hard. New muscle burns fat.
- Cardio could help. 30 minutes 3,4 times a week, maybe doing a HIIT (high intensity interval trainning) of 1:30 light jog, 30 seconds sprint or so?
- Switch your white rice to brown rice. Try to go whole wheat wherever you can. Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes instead of yellow potatoes, and so forth.
- It's ok to start your day eating some carbs, but I like to finish up my day with the least amount of carbs possible. So I usually have some chicken breasts and vegetables for dinner.
- Are you eating enough veggies?

But with an idea of what you eat maybe we'd be able to help you out some more on what you can switch up.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you are doing the math wrong on your caloric intake.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
How many different diets have you tried? quite possibly this specific diet may just not be for you. Also, if you are just starting to get your diet in track this is probably why.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
CROSSFIT or HIIT + CARDIO = massive fat burning potential. more if done fasted, though you could pass out.....

try just adding in fasted cardio in the morning and see where that takes you.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you're eating the wrong type of food? Unless 50 - 70g of fat are in the "healthy fat" portion it may be too much if you're not hitting the gym hard.

How about you post a split of what your daily intakes look like?

Just some random things to get started:
- You need about 6 meals a day, 2 hours apart each or somewhat like that, to keep your metabolism high.
- Don't be afraid to work out. Hard. New muscle burns fat.
- Cardio could help. 30 minutes 3,4 times a week, maybe doing a HIIT (high intensity interval trainning) of 1:30 light jog, 30 seconds sprint or so?
- Switch your white rice to brown rice. Try to go whole wheat wherever you can. Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes instead of yellow potatoes, and so forth.
- It's ok to start your day eating some carbs, but I like to finish up my day with the least amount of carbs possible. So I usually have some chicken breasts and vegetables for dinner.
- Are you eating enough veggies?

But with an idea of what you eat maybe we'd be able to help you out some more on what you can switch up.

This was what my work out is for the week:

Sun: Cardio, Chest, Arms and Core

Mon: Cardio, Back, Core

Tues: Cardio, Legs

Wend: Off

Thurs: Off

Fri: Cardio, Core

Sat: Cardio, Back, Swimming Laps

Have started to do that HIIT Cardio, And everytime I leave the gym I feel great but used. Also started a new job and can eat 5-6 times a day now, before Just couldn't because of the type job. Have been mixing in the brown rice for some days for a different lunch. Going to have to start to change to whole wheat stuff other then bread. I try to eat about a cup of vegs. with every main meal. I try to keep the Sat. fats down.

I have been useing the diet tracker on this site to keep my food intake if that helps with what I have been eating.

As in diets I have tried no carb, low carb, all meat, wieght watchers I can't remember all of them. I mean don't get me wrong I have lose over 60 lbs. in just this last year but I want to lost this fen belly.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
after HIIT, your body has peaked its GH levels, which is what burns fat. these levels return to normal as soon as you take in fast digesting carbs. doing HIIT or crossfit makes pre workout nutrition much more important. post workout, protein only, and stick with slower digesting carbs for as long as possble.

that's all i got.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
after HIIT, your body has peaked its GH levels, which is what burns fat. these levels return to normal as soon as you take in fast digesting carbs. doing HIIT or crossfit makes pre workout nutrition much more important. post workout, protein only, and stick with slower digesting carbs for as long as possble.

that's all i got.
Ok what is crossfit? Because I'm not sure what it is. Hey I maybe doing it now and not know but probley not.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Ok what is crossfit? Because I'm not sure what it is. Hey I maybe doing it now and not know but probley not.
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

i'm not really the expert on crossfit. highlanda uses this quite a bit. from my understanding, it is a group of compound exercises, and high/low intensity running - with time limits - your goal is to break your previous time for doing a group of exercises.

willwes

willwes

Awards
So I have been working out for about 4-5 years and workout 4-5 days a week. But for that time I have just started to really check into my food and diet. But I just cannot lose any of the weight, no matter what I do!! I have used fat burners, pills, and I think anything else. I get about 1700 to 2000 Kals. a day keep fat at about 50 to 70 grams and 150+ grams of protein. What I'm I doing wrong!!! I'm not sure what my body fat contein is but I will check tonight at the gym. I really could use some help I jus want to have a better style of life and well I do want to look better. I think my workout could be better and my cardio is around 15 mins for every workout, at the end of the workout. I really would love so help, I'm at my wites end, HELP!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm also starting to do the diet tracker to help me.)

Warcraft,
I suggest you find your BMR (basal metabolic rate) This is the calories your body burns just to stay alive. I did it for you and you can do it here at BMR Calculator I did it for you and your BMR 2147.66. Gain weight- go 200 to 400 above this, lose weight go 200-400 below this. HOWEVER, as these guys said, you need to look at what you are eating and how it metabolizes in YOUR body. Are you an ecto, endo, or meso? Tall and thin, Short and stubby, or are you a broad shouldered guy who tends to carry weight around the mid section? I recommend you get a copy of Michi's Ladder here Michi's Ladder Diet Guidelines and clean up your diet or at least pay very close attention to it. Eat off of the top 2 to 3 tiers and you'll have a near perfect diet! I have trouble with this as well and these tools have helped me alot. You said you're now eating 5-6 small meals at day. Are they at the same time everyday? I use the scheduler on my cell phone to buzz in my pocket when I'm too busy at work. You have to stay on schedule. How do your macros look? Maybe try a protien/carb/fat ratio of 50/35/15? Don't skip breakfast, include a carb with protien early in the day and taper down carbs toward the end of the day as your metabolism slows. Never eat past 8 p.m. and always try as hard as you can to get 8 hours of sleep. Lastly, move over to plyometrics (which I think is similar to HIIT but with more cardio). I've included a 4 week sample of Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training for you. Recycle it over 2-3 months if you like, it'll stay challenging enough for you. I hope some of this helps man...Good Luck!

Attachments

Last edited:
WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Warcraft,
I suggest you find your BMR (basal metabolic rate) This is the calories your body burns just to stay alive. I did it for you and you can do it here at BMR Calculator I did it for you and your BMR 2147.66. Gain weight- go 200 to 400 above this, lose weight go 200-400 below this. HOWEVER, as these guys said, you need to look at what you are eating and how it metabolizes in YOUR body. Are you an ecto, endo, or meso? Tall and thin, Short and stubby, or are you a broad shouldered guy who tends to carry weight around the mid section? I recommend you get a copy of Michi's Ladder here Michi's Ladder Diet Guidelines and clean up your diet or at least pay very close attention to it. Eat off of the top 2 to 3 tiers and you'll have a near perfect diet! I have trouble with this as well and these tools have helped me alot. You said you're now eating 5-6 small meals at day. Are they at the same time everyday? I use the scheduler on my cell phone to buzz in my pocket when I'm too busy at work. You have to stay on schedule. How do your macros look? Maybe try a protien/carb/fat ratio of 50/35/15? Don't skip breakfast, include a carb with protien early in the day and taper down carbs toward the end of the day as your metabolism slows. Never eat past 8 p.m. and always try as hard as you can to get 8 hours of sleep. Lastly, move over to plyometrics (which I think is similar to HIIT but with more cardio). I've included a 4 week sample of Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training for you. Recycle it over 2-3 months if you like, it'll stay challenging enough for you. I hope some of this helps man...Good Luck!

Thanks that PDF has a lot of great information. I will have to look into Craig's Turbulence training. I'm more of a broad shouldered guy. And yes most of the wieght I think is around my mid section. I try to eat at the same time everyday, I try to have more protein in my meals. I do have to start to eating my last meal of the day before 8 pm but some times my workouts go to about 8 pm so what is better to eat that late? I thank everyone for the help I'm getting.

willwes

willwes

Awards
Thanks that PDF has a lot of great information. I will have to look into Craig's Turbulence training. I'm more of a broad shouldered guy. And yes most of the wieght I think is around my mid section. I try to eat at the same time everyday, I try to have more protein in my meals. I do have to start to eating my last meal of the day before 8 pm but some times my workouts go to about 8 pm so what is better to eat that late? I thank everyone for the help I'm getting.

Drink a Protien shake and eat a green apple or two. I use Natures Best Isopure as it has 50 grams of protien per serving or I'll use bodyfortress from the local Wal-Mart as it has 56 gram of protien. Warning!: Body fortress has a bitter taste and grains of taurine in it but it's only 15.00 for a 2 lb jar, I mix in a half a teaspoon of Acme chocolate milk mix to kill some of the bitterness and graininess so I don't gag or if I've had enough carbs for the day, I'll just hold my nose while I swallow it. The second thing you want to eat post workout (late at night) are green apples. the skin on green apples has pectin in it. Pectin is a natural appetite supressant. This followed with a big cup of water should fill u up enough to go right to bed and get a good nights sleep. This of course is NOT a substitute for a solid dinner. For Dinner (pre-workout), I usually go with Salmon, Broccoli (or another brightly colored veg) and a small baked sweet potato. Don't be afraid to eat. I heard a saying once; "If it comes out of a plant (factory) don't eat it. If it comes from a plant (nature) eat it".

One more thing about your BMR and your activity that I forgot to mention in my last post. If your BMR is 2147 and you eat 1700 cal a day, you're already at a deficit and your body can and will go into starvation mode from this alone. If you tack on an hour of activity that burns lets say 600 calories, that's a deficit of 1047. Your bodys main goal is to keep your brain alive and your heart beating. It doesn't care how you feel about it so this formula will not equate to a loss in fat. you may actually gain or stay the same weight. In order to lose weight you must consume enough calories above your BMR and then take into account how much you will burn from activity to create a deficit that will actually BURN fat. For example BMR 2147, total caloric intake 2400, less 600 calories of activty, equals a deficit of 347 calories burned for the day. Get it? 2400-2147-600= 347 it works just like a checking account. You satisfy the need for the day, then burn off some of the "money" in the account creating a deficit equating to lost fat. Play around with this formula to trick your body into shedding the extra pounds. Lastly, make sure you throw in those plyo excercises as I suggested and stay in your target heart rate zone to maximize the effect of the fat loss.

C'mon people! how bout some reps for da:goodpost:??? lol

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
What is a good sub. to Chicken, for different meals? I'm getting bored of just Chicken and Fish.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
steak, tuna, season the chicken differently

willwes

willwes

Awards
Yea, these guys said it all pretty much...Unless you have access to Deer meat. That's the only thing more lean than beef.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Yea, these guys said it all pretty much...Unless you have access to Deer meat. That's the only thing more lean than beef.
I do love chasing down a deer and killing it with my hands!!!!
I will have to try to get some next deer season.

Ok,Ok I will give it a sporting chance I will use a gun!:rocketwhore:

willwes

willwes

Awards
I do love chasing down a deer and killing it with my hands!!!!
I will have to try to get some next deer season.

Ok,Ok I will give it a sporting chance I will use a gun!:rocketwhore:

:laughing:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i love lean steak!!!
i ate 17oz of lean steak today. I went a bit over kill while seasoning it but I feel satisfied now :approve:

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
If you can get buffalo...it's as lean as chicken!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
alligator meat........................... no joke, the best

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
ChicagoLand Land were the Soxs fans goto the White House and the Cub fans goto Jail.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
Ostrich, I believe is leaner than buffalo with higher protien. It's poultry but like red meat. I season it with chipolte powder and either have it in a burger or I'll take the filet, blacken it w/ spices in a skillet till it's rare, slice it and toss it w/ raw spinach as a salad. I don't like buffalo or ostrich cooked any higher than medium because it becomes quite undesireable.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Leave it to the old guy to think of this one:

WHAT'S YOUR SLEEP LIKE?
WHAT'S YOUR STRESS LEVEL LIKE?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AsianBabe the member here eats em all the time :) I bet rosie (our rep) has had em too. I'll have to ask her :D

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Leave it to the old guy to think of this one:

WHAT'S YOUR SLEEP LIKE?
WHAT'S YOUR STRESS LEVEL LIKE?
If your asking me I get between 7-8 hours of sleep most of the time. Not to much stress, Just have a wife (unemployed for now), 2 kids, and 2 money sucking kids from my brother that live with me!! Ok will have have some stress, the gym is the only place I can go for some quite time.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Ok sorry to bring up a old question but I have been doing a lot of what everyone was telling me and I wieghed myself on two scales at the gym one in the locker room (202 lbs) and the one out by the personal trainers (232 lbs) Now first I don't know which one to believe but ok. So I grabed one of those bmi testers and used the 232 lbs wieght and it said I had a 20% body fat and 32.1 bmi is this right or is there a better way to get the figures right.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if its one of the ones you hold in your hands, its just plain wrong. calipers are the only reasonable way to do it

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
if its one of the ones you hold in your hands, its just plain wrong. calipers are the only reasonable way to do it
Ya that was the one I thought those were off.

willwes

willwes

Awards
Ok sorry to bring up a old question but I have been doing a lot of what everyone was telling me and I wieghed myself on two scales at the gym one in the locker room (202 lbs) and the one out by the personal trainers (232 lbs) Now first I don't know which one to believe but ok. So I grabed one of those bmi testers and used the 232 lbs wieght and it said I had a 20% body fat and 32.1 bmi is this right or is there a better way to get the figures right.

Ok Warcraft,
Heres the 1st thing you do. Stay off of the scale!! We are all so quick to use scales to judge our progress and then get disappointed when they don't say what we expect them to. I want you to use the mirror and let's say, an old shirt that doesn't fit you anymore or an old pair of jeans that are too tight. Use that and the mirror to judge your progress. Your fingers will also tell you how you're progressing with the pinch test. I mean, let's just keep it real here. You're not 3 weeks away from walking onto a stage and you're not trying to steal Urlachers spot on the Bears roster. You're just like most people on here who either used to be in awesome shape before they got married and had kids or were great college or HS athletes and want their old bodies back. Remember what you knew before you came here and use this information as a guide. the easiest way to screw things up for yourself even more is to listen to EVERY single peice of advice you get on these boards! Sensory overload and paralysis by analysis will get the best of you very fast and before you know it, you'll be 10lbs heavier (and fatter) than you were a week ago! I'm sure you have a workout on a word doc and I'm sure you've mapped out your diet as well. Just stick to it, slow down and be patient. Here's another thing for you to chew on. How much cardio are you doing? Go to crossfit.com or some other HI Impact or plyometrics website and roll that into your routine. Find a Target heart rate calculator (just by typing that into google) if you don't know what it is already and stay in your zone for a more effective workout. The cardio will kill the extra fat for sure! Good Luck man!